LSU buys player for $180K, gets much lower ROI than Auburn

Beau Vine

John Paul Funes—who pleaded guilty today to stealing more than $550,000 from the Our Lady of the Lake Foundation—sent approximately $180,000 of that money to the father of Vadal Alexander, the former LSU offensive guard who played for the Tigers from 2012-2015 and was a student-athlete at the time of the payments.

Four sources have confirmed for Daily Report that Alexander’s father, James Alexander, was the recipient of the $180,000, who is referenced in the court documents only as “Individual C.”

James Alexander is a self-employed entrepreneur who lives in the Atlanta area, according to his LinkedIn and Facebook pages. Multiple attempts to reach him and Vadal Alexander, who went on to play in the NFL, most recently for the Oakland Raiders, were unsuccessful.

The Alexanders are not the only LSU-connected family to have received payments from Funes, who pleaded guilty after a 35-minute hearing this morning to one count of money laundering and one count of wire fraud in the six-year embezzlement scheme.

Daily Report previously reported the mother and sister of former Tigers quarterback Rohan Davey also received money from Funes—some $107,000 that Funes had said was intended to help cover medical costs for a Children’s Hospital patient.

A key distinction, however, is that Davey was not a student-athlete at the time of Funes’ payments to his family members, who later returned more than half of it to Funes at his request. Alexander was a player for the Tigers during the period when his father received the payments, exposing LSU to potential NCAA rules violations.

In a statement, LSU Senior Associate Athletic Director Robert Munson says only that, “LSU was made aware of specific allegations by OLOL officials in late 2018 and made that information immediately available to the NCAA. As this is an ongoing inquiry, LSU will have no further comment.”

The NCAA did not respond to a request seeking comment.

Former LSU coach Les Miles, who led the Tigers during Alexander’s college career, says he is stunned to hear of the payments.

“I didn’t know about it and wouldn’t have expected that in any way,” says Miles, now the head football coach at the University of Kansas.

It is unclear whether those who received money from Funes will be targeted by the feds, now that the investigation into Funes is essentially done. But sources familiar with the case say that is not likely and court documents continue to stress—as has OLOL, which first announced the embezzlement scheme last November—that Funes acted alone.

https://www.businessreport.com/business/funes-directed-stolen-money-to-father-of-lsu-football-player

cam newton football GIF by Nickelodeon

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Man oh man, Louisiana Monroe and McNeese State must be shaking in their boots right now. Death penalties incoming. 

Hmmmm, maybe the ags will be the insignificant Louisiana school that takes the brunt this go-round.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Man oh man, Louisiana Monroe and McNeese State must be shaking in their boots right now. Death penalties incoming. 

This is actually pretty serious. La Tech will be the one getting the death penalty.

Edited by texaslong

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

But sources familiar with the case say that is not likely and court documents continue to stress—as has OLOL, which first announced the embezzlement scheme last November—that Funes acted alone

Jlawok.gif

7 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

Patient Bear is still patiently waiting for them to look into Not-So-Sharp’s distribution of Hurricane Harvey relief funds 

Good luck, Ol'Johnny wrote the book on how to cook the books for public agencies in this state. Most of that money went to legit businesses owned by ags of course. They then turned around and made the donations they were told to make...If you are trying to get to how they are paying player reps and family, that is run separate but with the same leadership principles. Sharp, Jimbo and Bjork resumes say everything about how they are doing business.

42 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Good luck, Ol'Johnny wrote the book on how to cook the books for public agencies in this state. Most of that money went to legit businesses owned by ags of course. They then turned around and made the donations they were told to make...If you are trying to get to how they are paying player reps and family, that is run separate but with the same leadership principles. Sharp, Jimbo and Bjork resumes say everything about how they are doing business.

Say one does write a book on cooking the books; is that then a cooked book itself, or just simply a cook book?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They might even poke around Rustin a bit. 

It's Ruston. Lets have a little respect for the top rated Public University in Lousiana.  Most of my family went there because they were looking for a better in state education than what LSU was offering. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who are we kidding...the ncaa has given up on punishing just about any school. They prefer to just fuck the student athletes.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

is there anything illegal about boosters paying recruits or is it just an ncaa rule violation?  if I give zach evans an envelope with $420 of cold hard cash in it and say “please attend the university of texas” am I breaking a law?

I believe you would be in TX.  Leg passed a bill a while ago that made it a crime to jeopardize the amateur status of an athlete, or some such thing.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I believe you would be in TX.  Leg passed a bill a while ago that made it a crime to jeopardize the amateur status of an athlete, or some such thing.

interesting.  I’ve never heard of a booster anywhere getting arrested for it. 

the nc2a will drop the hammer on LSU for this, right?

Pretty sure this^^^ was tongue in cheek, but if they didn’t drop the hammer on us, the likelihood of LSU getting more than a slap on the wrist is slim to none.

*That being said, unbeknownst to you all, I have been, and I’m still doing, my own informal inquiry on my alma mater’s shenanigans. I’m taking and keeping thorough notes, alienating myself from my friends and fellow Ole Miss brethren, and I’m pretty sure there are people in high places who might have a contract on me. Grisham’s agent has contacted me, and John has already promised to takes my notes, (he knows where they’re hidden), in case something should happen to me. All I asked him in return was to keep the title I created;

“Why the Fuck Couldn’t We Have At Least Won the Fucking West for Shit’s Sake?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LSU gonna fire up a good ol aggy boycott against Yahoo for reporting what the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report reported:

YAHOO IS AT IT AGAIN ! THIS TIME THEIR STORY ALLEGES $180,000 PAYMENT TO VADAL ALEXANDER’S FATHER:

If you are an LSU fan my recommendation that you delete Yahoo and anything associated with Yahoo. This clown show repeatedly reports on anything LSU May have done no matter how small or big.

These 3 haters, Pat Forde, Pete Thamel, and Dan Wetzel, are the ones responsible for attempting to take down LSU.

LSU knew of this allegation in 2018 and has been working closely with NCAA to resolve issue.

Nothing to worry about here as I don’t believe anything will come of it. Just as I said about Will Wade’s situation. The only reason I am even posting this is because how disgusting Fake Yahoo news is.

With Alabama players admitting to taken money and in many cases openly cheating and given cars away and much more. You hear nothing from this LSU hating fake news organization.

Wipe this organization from all of your devices and never click on them again.

• 2 weeks later...