Saban story

futureman

48 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

If you lost a game late in 1978, like Alabama did vs. Auburn in 2017, because the voters didn't work that way and you didn't get a second chance by virtue of the playoff.  You could argue that every Saban Alabama team that won a NC with a loss since the playoffs is bullshit because of it.  He's had one undefeated team.  Every Nebraska NC team was undefeated.

If two of Saban's titles at Bama are tainted -- and they certainly are -- he still has three to his credit there. I'd that's average.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

‘ Why would Saban ever leave Bama for Texas?’

Well, it sounded like what Hicks was saying in the interview is that Saban knew he'd never outshine the legacy of Bear Bryant at Alabama. Instead, he'd prefer to create his own as the game's best turnaround artist and he knew, correctly, that he could win an NC at Texas. 

Really, though this all ended the way it should have. There you have the 2013 Alamo Bowl with Ol' butter teeth and his noodle armed quarterback who ends up scoring more points for the other team than our own. We get 56 yards passing on the day and Mack STILL...even in his last game Texas... can't get the fucking quarterback situation figured out. We close the season by losing back to back games against the kinds of teams that highlight exactly why the game has passed Mack Brown by. Fuck you. Pay me.    

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Dec 13, 2013: Saban agrees to contract extension at Alabama

Dec 15, 2013: Mack announces he’s stepping down at Texas

Wow, what a weird coincidence

Hicks said on the pod this was a few years after his conversation with Mack. 

I'm as certain Saban would have won multiple championships at Texas as I am that Texas would have beat his 'Bama team if Colt hadn't gotten hurt.

Actually, if rumors are to be believed and Mack thought his legacy would be secure with multiple NCs and was ready to hand over the reigns to Muschamp in '10 then Saban to Texas might have actually been more likely to happen. Muschamp would have more than likely fallen flat on his face, similar to what happen at UF, and in short order Texas would have been justified (in a non-cesspool kind of way) in offering Saban the Brinks truck and there wouldn't have been any realistic roadblock to stop it.

In short I blame GGD for the simple fact that Texas hasn't won half a dozen NCs in the last decade. Fuck that guy, fuck Mack Brown, and Fuck OU for good measure.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas007 said:

I'm as certain Saban would have won multiple championships at Texas as I am that Texas would have beat his 'Bama team if Colt hadn't gotten hurt.

Actually, if rumors are to be believed and Mack thought his legacy would be secure with multiple NCs and was ready to hand over the reigns to Muschamp in '10 then Saban to Texas might have actually been more likely to happen. Muschamp would have more than likely fallen flat on his face, similar to what happen at UF, and in short order Texas would have been justified (in a non-cesspool kind of way) in offering Saban the Brinks truck and there wouldn't have been any realistic roadblock to stop it.

In short I blame GGD for the simple fact that Texas hasn't won half a dozen NCs in the last decade. Fuck that guy, fuck Mack Brown, and Fuck OU for good measure.     

Fuck.

23 hours ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Well, it sounded like what Hicks was saying in the interview is that Saban knew he'd never outshine the legacy of Bear Bryant at Alabama. Instead, he'd prefer to create his own as the game's best turnaround artist and he knew, correctly, that he could win an NC at Texas. 

Really, though this all ended the way it should have. There you have the 2013 Alamo Bowl with Ol' butter teeth and his noodle armed quarterback who ends up scoring more points for the other team than our own. We get 56 yards passing on the day and Mack STILL...even in his last game Texas... can't get the fucking quarterback situation figured out. We close the season by losing back to back games against the kinds of teams that highlight exactly why the game has passed Mack Brown by. Fuck you. Pay me.    

Ol' Nick is going to end up being wrong about that.

You'll never be able to convince me if colt doesn't get hurt blah blah blah.  I thought it was a bullshit argument then and it still is today.  You know why I know Colt in or out doesn't make a difference?  Because he barely fucking beat a 4 loss Nebraska team that produced 100 fucking yards of offense.  If you're struggling to beat a team that is that inept offensively, you're fucked.

If that Nebraska team almost beat you, you didn't have a fucking chance vs. Alabama who had a much better offense than Nebraska.

• Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

You'll never be able to convince me if colt doesn't get hurt blah blah blah.  I thought it was a bullshit argument then and it still is today.  You know why I know Colt in or out doesn't make a difference?  Because he barely fucking beat a 4 loss Nebraska team that produced 100 fucking yards of offense.  If you're struggling to beat a team that is that inept offensively, you're fucked.

If that Nebraska team almost beat you, you didn't have a fucking chance vs. Alabama who had a much better offense than Nebraska.

literally fuck your own face.  nebraska is a joke. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sentence #1: he CREATED every advantage he has. Bama was dogshit for 15 years before he re-built it. that he built a dynasty is a knock against him, now? slorch'n

Sentence #2: he has the most talented teams in the country BECAUSE OF HIM. you're using one of his greatest strengths as an argument against him. slorch'n

Sentence #3: retarded. slorch'n

what is wrong with you?

I tend to disagree with your take.

Saban plays in a conference and at a school not known for academics.  If he had to do the same thing at Rice or Stanford I see some challenges.  

He has seemingly unlimited budgets for assistants and quality control personnnel.

He has lobbied against changes that are contrary to his style of play, e.g., trying to stop the Oregon quick huddle.  

17 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

It takes everything in my power not to neg this post.  If Colt doesn't get injured the final is 43-12.  

Nebraska was playing Big 12 football, Big 12 style.  We played them often enough for them to know what was coming.  FYI, aggy gave us a very hard time during two of our undefeated seasons ('63 and '05)

Bama was a bunch of fat guys on defense who couldn't keep up and a one dimensional offense.  That game would have never been close.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

You might as well go full retard and claim that time ran out and Nebraska actually won.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I tend to disagree with your take.

Saban plays in a conference and at a school not known for academics.  If he had to do the same thing at Rice or Stanford I see some challenges.  

He has seemingly unlimited budgets for assistants and quality control personnnel.

He has lobbied against changes that are contrary to his style of play, e.g., trying to stop the Oregon quick huddle.  

Did you mean to quote someone else that was talking about Rice and Stanford? I’m lost.

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Bama was 3 points ahead with 6 minutes to go of a team quarterbacked by squints.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Did you mean to quote someone else that was talking about Rice and Stanford? I’m lost.

I'm talking to you, sweetheart.  You can address my point now that you understand that. 

PS: Alabama had some success before Saban got there.  

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

This thread got slorched.

We need a morning talk show sound effect for that.

It was aggy from the get-go. As if Texas could pull Saban...

as if Mack could prevent it...

Y'all were still the Joneses, then.  Remember?

Edited by slorch

31 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Bama was 3 points ahead with 6 minutes to go of a team quarterbacked by squints.  

Squints went into Lincoln and beat Nebraska when all they wanted to accomplish that season was leave the conference with a win over Texas.  MuffPeelini probably thinks Squints is a quarterbacking god.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

It was aggy from the get-go. As if Texas could pull Saban...

as if Mack could prevent it...

Y'all were still the Joneses, then.  Remember?

Looks liek that was shot in South Austin.

Edited by Bullneck

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

We ... struggled... to beat Ndomakung Suh. Bama, while great, didn't have anyone as disruptive. Colt wouldn't have struggled to score against Bama.

The offense has nothing to do with it. We shut down Nebraska's offense and would've done the same to Bama's one dimensional offense if we had been playing from ahead instead of behind.

Edited by TheBryMan81

A few points.    1. I thought Suh won the heisman the day he nearly killed Colt and the entire line.

2. Behind 3 six minutes to go.......should have been ahead.....WR drop in end zone...

3.  The final, real reason we lost... GD and Mack refusing to let squints throw the ball in mop  up duty throughout the season. dumbest Qb decision in Texas football history since starting Mcivor on January 1, 1984.......both awful decisions cost national championships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I'm talking to you, sweetheart.  You can address my point now that you understand that. 

PS: Alabama had some success before Saban got there.  

I have no idea what your point was nor a clue why you thought whatever you said was relevant to my response to slorch’s repeated idiocy.

30 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

A few points.    1. I thought Suh won the heisman the day he nearly killed Colt and the entire line.

2. Behind 3 six minutes to go.......should have been ahead.....WR drop in end zone...

3.  The final, real reason we lost... GD and Mack refusing to let squints throw the ball in mop  up duty throughout the season. dumbest Qb decision in Texas football history since starting Mcivor on January 1, 1984.......both awful decisions cost national championships.

Correct. 

If you want Colt to win the Heisman, you gotta run up the score.

If you don't care, then put the back up in.  

Mack didn't do either.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 11:51 AM, Bateshorn said:

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

This. This right here. This is the only thing in this entire fucking thread that we even need to be saying, reading, writing, or thinking about.

It simply can not be said too often, nor too loudly.

FUCK.

MACK.

BROWN.

Well the refs were calling all kinds of phantom holds and chop blocks on guys who went unblocked to sack Colt. That didn’t help. I guess since Texas didn’t score 50 on aggy, they were destined to lose to the mighty USC in 2005.

You are wrong. Texas still gave them a game in spite of the inability to complete shovel pass with a back up, that was replaced by Case McCoy in later years.

Injuries happen, and the coaches fucked up by not having a serviceable back up ready.

Sorry to rehash old painful memories but 1. we really didn’t have many opportunities to throw in Squints in mop up duty as we had a lot of close games down to the wire that year.
2. Should have had Sherrod Harris ready as well or at least take some pressure off of Squints that game. Squints being thrown into the fire was an understatement. Old news though.

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

You should try watching the first part of the Texas - Bama game.  It was nothing like the CCG.

Suh and the DL dominated our OL, but that did not happen with Bama.  At least until that moron Greg Davis called a speed option.  That did indeed end our hopes, but I was feeling pretty good about things to that point.  When you have Nicky trying (& failing) a fake punt, he is not too confident.  

On 6/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

if you insert Saban at any point in the Mack downfall, you have to keep in mind that all of the subsequent recruiting classes change, and all of the personnel changes (transfers and washouts) are changed as well

you are basing this off of the poor Mack years, and the Strong years, and Herman's first year, but if you insert Saban at any point on that spectrum, you have to speculate and form some assumptions about what the roster would look like with one of the three best recruiters/talent evaluators/maximizers of the modern era in charge of it

in short, there wouldn't likely have been consistently craptastic o-lines

back to the future love GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Not true.  The last game I personally remember yelling at the tv for Mack to let him pass was central Florida game.  The game was over at halftime.  Margin of victory for games up to and including 11.21 was:

39, 31, 57, 24, 34, 27, 32, 33, 31 points.  By my rough guess, squints could have easily attempted 8 passes per game, which would have been enough ....72 attempts...so receivers would have been familiar with his delivery and ball speed.

Sorry to rehash old painful memories but 1. we really didn’t have many opportunities to throw in Squints in mop up duty as we had a lot of close games down to the wire that year.
2. Should have had Sherrod Harris ready as well or at least take some pressure off of Squints that game. Squints being thrown into the fire was an understatement. Old news though.

I've watched it twice, doesn't change what happened or what could of happened.  It's all woulda coulda shoulda.  I'm shocked that there's still a few here that dwell on that.  I used to be that way, until I started posting on TOS 10 years ago and got called out for it.  I realized, you know what, these assholes are right.....it's all just bullshit unless it really happened.  I complained about the last second once or twice and got called out for it.  It made me realize I was a dumbass for thinking that way.

I guess that road doesn't go both ways for some here.

Your coaches lost that game.  Not GG, not Colt getting hurt.  Hell, Saban gameplanned for Colt, not GG.  He didn't have a fucking clue what GG was capable of once he got into the game.  Using some of your logic, one could say the only reason you were even close was because GG was playing.

But all of it still reverts back to one thing....coaching.  Coaching lost that game, and damn near cost you the CCG 3 weeks prior.  Nebraska struggling to gain 100 fucking offensive yards that night and still being in the fucking game.....Nebraska was putrid offensively, they couldn't even beat Iowa fucking State at home that year, yet you want me to believe somehow magically they were almost as good as Alabama because of one fucking player?  GTFO

Texas lost that night and would have whether CM played or not.

Coaching lost the game, but saying no Colt makes no difference in the outcome ignores the whole season.  Without Colt, the team loses probably 4 games and Mack’s decline starts one year sooner.  I watched every snap I think, and I believe Colt to be the MVP for any Texas season since Earl.  Look at 2005.  Without VY the team loses maybe 2 games, because there were so many great players on the team.  1977... without Earl, team loses 4 games.  With Earl, Texas played at least 5 qbs that year....Jon, Mark, Sam, Randy, Ricky.  4 qbs started games, I think....Mark, Jon, Randy, Sam.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

NU and OU were the only defenses that have Colt any problem, as they were designed and manned  to stop an offense like Texas’.  Alabama was a mismatch in Texas’ favor, from Terrance Cody and his 1/2 sack for the season to the linebackers they had playing safety. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Yea I’m not sure what the Fuck MuffPeeleeenee is smoking. This was back before the SEC was embracing spread concepts and sure as shit didn’t know how to defend them (recall Aggy greatest SEC SEC season was their first one).

That Bama team was looking extremely lost the first part of the game on defense (and frankly continued to be to some degree when Squints executed)

Mack should have been shot for that game. One for not having a backup more ready and two for going out of that game and completely misreading the tea leaves on where offense was headed. He went and got a hard on for what Bama was doing at the time instead of realizing that he had the much better offense and had let himself and the team down by not being much better prepared to carry that advantage.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Now don’t you go getting all Georgia on us.

This is one coulda shoulda that is obviously true.