Two Robert the Bruce movies coming out: Outlaw King and Robert The Bruce

Shmitty

In November Netflix is releasing a trilogy on Robert the Bruce, telling his story to a worldwide audience for the first time.  It should be pretty good and Chris Pine pulls off a Scottish accent much better than Mel Gibson did. and unlike Braveheart, this one should be alot more historically accurate.  

In February, another Robert The Bruce film is coming out starring Angus MacFadyen who played Robert the Bruce in Braveheart.  This is an unofficial sequel to Braveheart that Angus has been working on and filming for the past 11 years, since he has been wanting to tell the Bruce's story since starring in the Mel Gibson film.  

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2214341/angus-macfadyen-reviving-role-of-robert-the-bruce-in-braveheart-sequel/

Edited by Shmitty

Hollywood seems to do this a lot where a story/movie gets in motion, then another studio somehow comes up with a very similar subject and makes their own movie about it. I assume it's because some studio exec gets pitched an idea, they don't want to pay for it, and they instead make their own version of it. It can't be coincidence. 

40 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Hollywood seems to do this a lot where a story/movie gets in motion, then another studio somehow comes up with a very similar subject and makes their own movie about it. I assume it's because some studio exec gets pitched an idea, they don't want to pay for it, and they instead make their own version of it. It can't be coincidence. 

http://11points.com/11-pairs-damn-near-identical-movies-released-time/

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

except, that Angus has been working on this film for the past 11 years, well before Outlaw King (and was Netflix around yet in 2007?)

• 2 months later...
I recently read this:
51AX-4koEFL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
It is written in a fairly tedious fashion, but it was very interesting. Robert the Bruce was a very interesting guy, plenty of source material for an interesting film.
I hope one of these doesn’t suck! Partial to Angus from Braveheart, personally
That book was a slog to get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 15 minutes of Outlaw King over lunch.   Will watch whole thing.  

Wondering if Netflix will continue their trend of including an orgy.  If they are willing to do it with a teen horror show, I’m pretty sure there was plenty of decadence around King Edward.   

I do wish this has been a series, even if just 4 or 5 parts.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Watched 15 minutes of Outlaw King over lunch.   Will watch whole thing.  

Wondering if Netflix will continue their trend of including an orgy.  If they are willing to do it with a teen horror show, I’m pretty sure there was plenty of decadence around King Edward.   

I do wish this has been a series, even if just 4 or 5 parts.  

I don't think Eddie Senior was a dilly-dillier.  He was a fervently religious man who would have probably executed homosexuals.  However, as seen in the movie, his son was possibly a dandy - it really isn't known if he was boning Pers Gaveston (the nobleman who in the movie was "skilled in the arts of war" or if they were sworn brothers (a Medieval thing) or even semi-adoptive brothers.  Anyway in real life, Ed Senior didn't push Pers out of a window... he lived a lot longer than that.  However the Barons around Ed Junior wanted the guy gone, they were tired of his (in their opinions) undue influence, and they exiled him.  Ed Junior revoked some pacts with them in return, and called for him back from exile.  That led to Barons' displeasure and in fact a war was started over that.  The Barons finally had Pers executed in 1312 and Ed Junior lost of course to Bruce in Bannockburn 2 years later.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I don't think Eddie Senior was a dilly-dillier.  He was a fervently religious man who would have probably executed homosexuals.  However, as seen in the movie, his son was possibly a dandy - it really isn't known if he was boning Pers Gaveston (the nobleman who in the movie was "skilled in the arts of war" or if they were sworn brothers (a Medieval thing) or even semi-adoptive brothers.  Anyway in real life, Ed Senior didn't push Pers out of a window... he lived a lot longer than that.  However the Barons around Ed Junior wanted the guy gone, they were tired of his (in their opinions) undue influence, and they exiled him.  Ed Junior revoked some pacts with them in return, and called for him back from exile.  That led to Barons' displeasure and in fact a war was started over that.  The Barons finally had Pers executed in 1312 and Ed Junior lost of course to Bruce in Bannockburn 2 years later.

This; Edward reportedly had a close relationship with his first queen, Eleanor of Castile.  After she died, he had twelve "Eleanor Crosses" erected at each of the stopping points her body made on its final journey to Lincoln to London.  

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

This; Edward reportedly had a close relationship with his first queen, Eleanor of Castile.  After she died, he had twelve "Eleanor Crosses" erected at each of the stopping points her body made on its final journey to Lincoln to London.  

Yeah he had something like 13 or 14 kids with her. Close enough for me!

On 11/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, YChang said:

Felt like a rushed movie

On 11/10/2018 at 10:40 PM, atomheartbevo said:

That’s because it deserved at least 2-3 times the amount of screen time it got, given the period it covered. 

Would have made a great mini-series. 

yeah, this is where i am. they tried to fit too much into too small a space.

like i did with your mothers last night.