Books you'd like to see adapted to TV/Film?

drewcifer

An AV Club article yesterday about a new Chuck Palahniuk adaptation (Invisible Monsters) made me think about what I'd like to see adapted to the screen.

Palahniuk's Survivor was allegedly in the works and scrapped after 9/11, but it's been 18 years now and I think it could work now.

I'd love to see anything from Christopher Moore adapted. He's mentioned many times that most or all of his novels have either been sold or optioned. Lamb would be an interesting, albeit controversial choice, though the recent Noir would also work well, IMO. Fool, too, perhaps. and either of his SF series would make for a good limited run Netflix or Amazon series. 

American Gods has been underwhelming, but I would love to see Gaiman's Neverwhere as a series. I thought Good Omens was well done (never read or seen Stardust, but it seems like it was well received).

I watched Annihilation the other day after finishing the book, and given that the former bears little resemblance to the latter, I'd like to see someone else take a stab at it, with an opening to then adapt the follow-ups.

Sirens of Titan is supposedly going to be a TV series from  Dan Harmon, but it's been more than a year since I saw any update about it.

What else?

spacer.png

Been rumored for forever.  Maybe something is actually happening now. Per wiki:

Leonardo DiCaprio purchased the film rights to the book in 2010. The film version, as originally planned, would have been directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Billy Ray, and produced jointly by Paramount Pictures, Double Feature Films, and DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions.[2][3][4]

In 2019, Hulu began developing a series based on the book. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese will executive produce the project along with Stacey Sher, Rick Yorn, Emma Koskoff, and Jennifer Davisson. Paramount Television will produce

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

I'd like to see someone take a whack at James Ellroy's The Big Nowhere. True Detective season 2 was a rip-off of that with anything interesting removed. It would be nice if someone would resurrect the White Jazz adaptation that was in the works as well.

I'd also love a limited series based on The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay but last time I checked it appeared that any rumored projects based on that are dead despite spending almost two decades kicking around in development hell.

• Like 1

91nh+RL7nPL.jpg

Been rumored for forever.  Maybe something is actually happening now. Per wiki:

Leonardo DiCaprio purchased the film rights to the book in 2010. The film version, as originally planned, would have been directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Billy Ray, and produced jointly by Paramount PicturesDouble Feature Films, and DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions.[2][3][4]

In 2019, Hulu began developing a series based on the book. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese will executive produce the project along with Stacey Sher, Rick Yorn, Emma Koskoff, and Jennifer Davisson. Paramount Television will produce

Yes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, chesthair said:

Playing for Pizza the Grisham book about football/food/fucking in Italy.  I have never read a book that painted a better mental picture for me. 

Hmm, I might have to check that out, as I have an affinity for Italy and all those three activities.  I stopped reaching Grisham a long time ago as his legal novels became insufferable. 

To the White Sea - Coen Brothers were adapting it years ago with Brad Pitt attached to star but it fell apart.

The first two Hyperion books - It's better suited to be a mini-series and that's where I hope it eventually ends up.  Scorsese was developing The Priest's Tale chapter as a stand alone movie but that also fell apart.

It'll never happen, but my vote is for The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough.  Historical fiction completely true to known characters and events, chronnicles the fall of the Roman Republic from Gaius Marius to the ascension of Octavian as Augustus as Princeps of the Empire.

What was the Grisham novel about the vigil for the dying high school football coach in the--I assume--fictional town of Messina?  Bleachers?  (May have been made into a movie and I just don't know about it, but it was a great book.)

6 hours ago, mdleast said:

Also the first 2/3rds of this

b5da1f2fb192ec53de0c335b50821dd6.jpg

By the way, meant to mention earlier that they actually announced a film adaptation a few years back with Ron Howard slated to direct.  However, as it has been a few years and there have be no updates or news, I fear it is no more.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5795154/

14 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I always thought Mario Puzo’s The Godfather would translate well to film.

Edited to add: ugh, should have googled first. Sorry.

You didn't miss much.  Second-rate director and a bunch of B-list actors who never amounted to much.  Could use a modern reboot, for sure.