Ok Tom, We'll Talk about Kansas Game, Oct 19th 6pm cst LHN

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

This defense is more talented than last season's.  Players are young and will make mistakes, add in injuries..  These are the growing pains teams have to go through.  Next season our best class (2018) will be entering year 3.  That said, coaches have to adjust and put players in better situations.  Players also need to be held accountable for not making impact when able.  This team is really good despite what happened saturday.

I'm not in disagreement. The argument you're referring to is would the defense be better this season simply because guys graduated. I came down firmly on the against side, despite the talent on the roster. 

Thing is, I expected the defense to be like this (for the most part.) It isn't some big revelation to me. Imo, they actually played a fairly good game other than not stopping the run in the second half. How much different is that game without the 2 TOs?

My concerns are with the offense. No one thought our all conference line would look like shit. No one understands why Epps is still playing instead of in the gym getting protein shakes and sparing with Yancy. Our HC can't admit he's wrong and Roschon should be 1st string instead of Keontay. Jake Smith is the new DJ Monroe in the Herman/Beck/ whoever the fuck is being stupid on the calls 3&5 diagram. It goes on and on... 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I still think you're underestimating the problems on offense while being a little overly so on the defense. If there were more than 4 coaches over there, I might be with you. 

Instead, we've got a kitchen full of cooks and the master chef is stubbornly working the fry station on a Friday night when part of the kitchen is on fire. 

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm not in disagreement. The argument you're referring to is would the defense be better this season simply because guys graduated. I came down firmly on the against side, despite the talent on the roster. 

Thing is, I expected the defense to be like this (for the most part.) It isn't some big revelation to me. Imo, they actually played a fairly good game other than not stopping the run in the second half. How much different is that game without the 2 TOs?

My concerns are with the offense. No one thought our all conference line would look like shit. No one understands why Epps is still playing instead of in the gym getting protein shakes and sparing with Yancy. Our HC can't admit he's wrong and Roschon should be 1st string instead of Keontay. Jake Smith is the new DJ Monroe in the Herman/Beck/ whoever the fuck is being stupid on the calls 3&5 diagram. It goes on and on... 

Jesus, man. Our offense is nowhere near as bad as you’re saying. FEI and S&P have us at #7 and #5 in the country in offense. Our OL has been really good this year. They had one horrible game against OU, otherwise they’ve been a huge plus in every other game and will be moving forward.

Roschon has gotten over double Ingram’s touches two games in a row, so you’re just flat out wrong on that one. The coaches are recognizing who’s the better RB. Jake Smith is still a raw true freshman, so he can only be used in so many ways right now and his usage is nothing like DJ Monroe’s. 

We have some personnel Usage issues and there’s been some stubbornness in game planning, but even with all that, our offense has still been elite. Herman is a good offensive coach. We’ll get some of these issues figured out. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, stork642 said:

I think it would be funny to see the team win the remaining games each by one point.  We end the year with two losses and a NY6 win and B12 championship.  There would probably be quite a bit bitching/moaning that we only beat Kansas by one point.  

Zero fox given. Just win and play well. We will see if that's too much to ask of this team and staff.

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was surprised by how sky is falling everyone got about Herman and the future of the program. People have been saying he’s late era-Mack or Herman will never win the conference or how he’ll have to out-talent every team we face because he can’t out-coach anyone (even though he’s done that many, many times over his 5 year career as a HC).

For me it is very simple, we need to be able to beat OU in order to win this conference.  The last 2 shots at OU made me very pessimistic that Herman will beat Riley with any regularity (hell, the last three if you count the way Herman thought he could take his foot off the gas in last year's win).  Sure, this game wasn't the embarrassment of the 60-14ish games that Mack produced, but it also felt like we had absolutely zero chance of beating OU from our first offensive series until the final tick of the clock. 

Riley seems to have inherited Bob's attitude that embarrassing Texas is the cornerstone to success for OU.  Herman seems to have inherited Mack's opinion that OU is just another game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

For me it is very simple, we need to be able to beat OU in order to win this conference.  The last 2 shots at OU made me very pessimistic that Herman will beat Riley with any regularity (hell, the last three if you count the way Herman thought he could take his foot off the gas in last year's win).  Sure, this game wasn't the embarrassment of the 60-14ish games that Mack produced, but it also felt like we had absolutely zero chance of beating OU from our first offensive series until the final tick of the clock. 

While I agree this was a bad performance last Saturday I don't get how you come to this conclusion from the other three OU games. Yes OU won two of them but Texas could have easily won either one.

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

Riley seems to have inherited Bob's attitude that embarrassing Texas is the cornerstone to success for OU.  Herman seems to have inherited Mack's opinion that OU is just another game.

I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion based on Herman's history. His problem is overlooking the little games and losing to Maryland, not getting up for the big ones.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does Herman use a Wishbone formation once against Kansas to honor the 1969 National Championship Team??

Maybe Casey Thompson at QB running one Wishbone play??

I'd be good with more than one of those tbh.

edit: /sarc. not sure who the FB is given our depth chart. Wishbone would not be our best 11. Not that we run out our best 11 otherwise.

Edited by GringoSalado

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion based on Herman's history. His problem is overlooking the little games and losing to Maryland, not getting up for the big ones.

I'm not saying I'm right, just trying to answer Burt's question.  I wanted to win LSU badly, but I looked at that game as surprising how good LSU was, not how bad we were.  Yes it is a small sample size, but last Saturday triggered my Mack PTSD on OU games.  

Texas was out played and out coached in the biggest game of the year.  That didn't seem like a team or coaching staff "up for the big one" to me.   Had we played good football and lost, I wouldn't have the same opinion.

Now we have 6 games left that are in the area where Herman has historically struggled.  Baylor, ISU, TCU and KSU all worry me and getting to 10-2 is a huge task in my opinion.  If the team is able to get there, I will consider the season a success and be happy with the results.  But that game last Saturday was BAD, and I won't be completely over it until I see how we look next time we take the field against OU.

29 minutes ago, jinx said:

This is exactly my point. You’re ignoring the entire sample size to overemphasize the last two results. UT showed up aggressive and playing extremely well in both the 2017 and 2018 RRS. Those performances were miles better than how Mack-coached teams would show up.  And if the 2018 RRS made you feel pessimistic about Herman’s odds of beating Riley moving forward when the teams’ talent levels will be much closer to equal, then idk what to tell you.

Riley came into a much better team that fit his scheme way better than what Herman/Orlando have had to work with. Riley’s team has been more talented than Herman’s all four times they’ve met (five times if you include UH in 2016), so he should have the better record.

Herman/Orlando outcoached Riley in the 2017 and 2018 RRS.  I’d say they were outcoached in the 2018 Big 12 Title game, but it wasn’t drastic, IMO.  Obviously, they got their asses whipped this year. So, the score is 2-2 re coaching performances between them. If you include UH in 2016, especially Orlando vs. Riley, then I’d say Herman/Orlando have outcoached Riley 3 out of 5 times. 

Maybe you can argue Riley’s figured them out, but Orlando, especially, has had drastically worse personnel than Riley in their last 3 meetings and has probably had less talent on his side of the ball all 5 matchups.  Our defense also performed fairly well in the 2018 Big 12 Title game. We held OU to 3.2 ypc and a total of 508 yards at 6.9 YPP. While that doesn’t’ look good, that’s right up there with Bama as the two best performances any defense had against OU in all of 2018.

So, overall, I’d say Herman has outcoached Riley 2/4 (3/5 if you include UH).  When looking at Orlando, specifically, I’d say he’s outcoached Riley 2 times (UH 2016 and UT 17), tied twice (both games in 2018), and lost in 2019.  You could maybe argue 18 RRS should be a win for Riley, but you could also argue Orlando won the matchup in the 2018 title game when our offense let us down. 

Either way, Herman has more or less split coaching matchups with Riley over the last 4 years and Riley has had the more talented squad in every single matchup. That ends next year when the teams will be close in talent, and UT will probably be the more talented team. So saying that you have trouble seeing Herman beating Riley for the conference in the future is a pretty huge overreaction to 1 or 2 games and ignores the entire body of work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

Honest request here: can anyone provide any video and/or GIF examples of DPI that went uncalled? Since I wasn't at the game, I had limited view of what was going on away from the ball, so I never really saw any uncalled DPI. Was this actually happening? Or are we just saying it because we lost? 

I watched a small portion of the game on replay, and the announcer actually said during the broadcast that the OU coaches tell the DBs to hold because it won't get called every time.  

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is exactly my point. You’re ignoring the entire sample size to overemphasize the last two results. UT showed up aggressive and playing extremely well in both the 2017 and 2018 RRS. Those performances were miles better than how Mack-coached teams would show up.  And if the 2018 RRS made you feel pessimistic about Herman’s odds of beating Riley moving forward when the teams’ talent levels will be much closer to equal, then idk what to tell you.

Riley came into a much better team that fit his scheme way better than what Herman/Orlando have had to work with. Riley’s team has been more talented than Herman’s all four times they’ve met (five times if you include UH in 2016), so he should have the better record.

Herman/Orlando outcoached Riley in the 2017 and 2018 RRS.  I’d say they were outcoached in the 2018 Big 12 Title game, but it wasn’t drastic, IMO.  Obviously, they got their asses whipped this year. So, the score is 2-2 re coaching performances between them. If you include UH in 2016, especially Orlando vs. Riley, then I’d say Herman/Orlando have outcoached Riley 3 out of 5 times. 

Maybe you can argue Riley’s figured them out, but Orlando, especially, has had drastically worse personnel than Riley in their last 3 meetings and has probably had less talent on his side of the ball all 5 matchups.  Our defense also performed fairly well in the 2018 Big 12 Title game. We held OU to 3.2 ypc and a total of 508 yards at 6.9 YPP. While that doesn’t’ look good, that’s right up there with Bama as the two best performances any defense had against OU in all of 2018.

So, overall, I’d say Herman has outcoached Riley 2/4 (3/5 if you include UH).  When looking at Orlando, specifically, I’d say he’s outcoached Riley 2 times (UH 2016 and UT 17), tied twice (both games in 2018), and lost in 2019.  You could maybe argue 18 RRS should be a win for Riley, but you could also argue Orlando won the matchup in the 2018 title game when our offense let us down. 

Either way, Herman has more or less split coaching matchups with Riley over the last 4 years and Riley has had the more talented squad in every single matchup. That ends next year when the teams will be close in talent, and UT will probably be the more talented team. So saying that you have trouble seeing Herman beating Riley for the conference in the future is a pretty huge overreaction to 1 or 2 games and ignores the entire body of work.

Counter point:  Riley lost primarily because he had a DC that sucked.  He fixed that problem and shut us down.  We will see what Herman does.

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Out of reps but agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Excuse me, I thought this was the Kansas thread.

Texas will win, but Herman will throttle it down in the 3rd quarter for no reason after being up by 3 tds.  Kansas will get 2 easy scores in the 4th and fans  will call for Orlando's head again.  Casey will throw a pick and fans annoint Hudson card as the next starter after Sam.

Am I close?

I'd be good with more than one of those tbh.
edit: /sarc. not sure who the FB is given our depth chart. Wishbone would not be our best 11. Not that we run out our best 11 otherwise.
Sam. Duh. /fatterson
I watched a small portion of the game on replay, and the announcer actually said during the broadcast that the OU coaches tell the DBs to hold because it won't get called every time.  
I heard them say the DC told them to either hold or interfere because it would only occasionally get called.
Counter point:  Riley lost primarily because he had a DC that sucked.  He fixed that problem and shut us down.  We will see what Herman does.

You can certainly make the case for this.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jinx said:

Likely won't need to. I don't see Riley being there in a year or two

Also,  does Kansas even deserve its own thread?

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Does Herman use a Wishbone formation once against Kansas to honor the 1969 National Championship Team??
Maybe Casey Thompson at QB running one Wishbone play??
it better not be that horseshit wishbone crap fupm pulled.

If we are going to run a wishbone it had better be a fucking proper one. qb under center, fullback, two tailbacks. run a proper triple option. with a pass option of course.

do we have enough healthy backs to even pull that off?

"Here’s one change to expect immediately from the KU football offense vs. Texas"

Kansas receiver Stephon Robinson has noticed a huge change since new offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon took over two weeks ago:  The team’s offense is operating with more urgency.  “We’re practicing that 24/7, like it’s a two-minute drill every single play,” Robinson said. “He’s bringing that enthusiasm and fast pace to every play.”  Perhaps this will be the most telltale sign that the Jayhawks’ offense has changed when the team takes on No. 15 Texas on Saturday. Dearmon, in practices, has repeatedly preached running everywhere, which has been an adjustment from KU’s previous huddle-happy ways.

“I definitely love the new edge that we have on offensive end,” KU receiver Andrew Parchment said. “With sprinting onto the field, I know a lot of teams don’t do that, so it’s probably going to catch the other team off-guard, and just shows that we’re ready to play football.”  Parchment has been calling for this sort of adjustment for a while now.  The junior, who is sixth in the Big 12 with 422 receiving yards, has talked about his preference for KU running the hurry-up after numerous games this year.  “I just feel like if you’ve got a lot of skill players like we have, I feel like once you go up-tempo, that puts the defense at a disadvantage,” Parchment said. “Because if you’re misplaced one second, then one of our skill players can take it the distance.”

The midseason switch also was an adjustment for KU’s defense. Quarterback Carter Stanley was encouraged by early returns from the team’s fast-paced offense in a scrimmage last week, saying, “I think our tempo kind of surprised (the defenders) a little bit.”  KU safety and team captain Bryce Torneden said he immediately sensed a different enthusiasm from offensive players and coaches in the last week.  “It’s the little things that are going to add up,” Torneden said, “and I think the energy is really there and it’s really apparent.”

Robinson, who played for fast-moving offenses in both high school and junior college, said one of the advantages he’d seen was the potential to create defensive confusion.  This approach can have some minor downsides too. Offensive linemen don’t always love to run so much in practice, and Robinson joked that his legs had been a bit sore from the tougher workouts over the past week.  The hope, though, is for KU’s offense to become accustomed to going fast, which could leave the defense a step behind in future games.  “I think everyone realizes that there’s just going to be more production,” Stanley said, “and with the potential of us to run tempo, it just creates more plays and more opportunities for us to make plays.” 

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article236358733.html

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Sam. Duh. /fatterson
I heard them say the DC told them to either hold or interfere because it would only occasionally get called.

You can certainly make the case for this.

Unless they talked about it more than once, what he said was Grinch told his guys to hold our receivers and make the officials call it.  

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I ran out of fucks to give last saturday. 

I’ll never understand this type of quitters, puss-out mentality. If you’re telling me we win the next 6 and rematch with OU for the Big 12 title game, and you don’t give a shit because you checked out half way through the season, why even bother in the first place. I will be fucking juiced if that scenario works out, I’ll see some of you at the CCG and we’ll lament the absence of some of yalls vaginas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’ll never understand this type of quitters, puss-out mentality. If you’re telling me we win the next 6 and rematch with OU for the Big 12 title game, and you don’t give a shit because you checked out half way through the season, why even bother in the first place. I will be fucking juiced if that scenario works out, I’ll see some of you at the CCG and we’ll lament the absence of some of yalls vaginas.

Blatant incompetence against true competition. It's tough to get fired up when the writing is on the wall. It's fucking torture, but I never stop rooting for those kids giving it their all.

Maybe we will get another Vince Young in the next 20 years who can will us to victory despite the dipshits in bellmont.

• Fuck You 1

That would be awesome, but it ain’t happening either. There’s a chance Texas goes to the CCG though.

45 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Surly-Worthy-Sophie.gif

39 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Blatant incompetence against true competition. It's tough to get fired up when the writing is on the wall. It's fucking torture, but I never stop rooting for those kids giving it their all.

Maybe we will get another Vince Young in the next 20 years who can will us to victory despite the dipshits in bellmont.

The writing is on the wall eh?

Well there you go, you know exactly what is going to happen. Go bet on it and make some money if you are so sure.

49 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

What writing is that?

Any realist looked at the schedule and should have had the LSU game and the OU game as potential L's.  This is exactly where I thought we'd be after 6 games.  

It would have been cool to upset LSU at home.

I'm disappointed we didn't play better against OU.

Still having a chance to go 10-2 and play for a conference title is still something.

Playing in a NY6 Bowl, potentially against another 10 win SEC team is something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

What writing is that?

Any realist looked at the schedule and should have had the LSU game and the OU game as potential L's.  This is exactly where I thought we'd be after 6 games.  

It would have been cool to upset LSU at home.

I'm disappointed we didn't play better against OU.

Pretty much where I'm at.  I sort of figured we'd upset either lsu or out, but drop a game we were favored in.  

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Lulz. I fucking love it. Throw out 5 years of coaching history so you can say Herman will never got over the hump or do well against “true competition.”

Herman has a consistent history of showing up in big games and his teams playing above their talent level. The idea that Herman will never be able to win a big game for the rest of his career unless he has a VY-type talent at QB is pretty hilarious.

2015:

UH won at Louisville with Lamar Jackson as their QB.  Went 4-0 against ranked teams, beating #25 Memphis, #16 Navy, #20 Temple, and throttling #9 FSU in the bowl game.

2016:

2-0 against ranked teams.  Completely outplayed and outcoached #3 OU. Beat #3 Louisville 36-10. 

2017 at UT:

1-4 against ranked teams plus won the bowl game handily, but UT played well above its talent level in all but one of the losses.  Took #4 USC to overtime and should’ve won if not for the Sam fumble at the 1. Took #12 OU to the wire and were driving to win the game until Sam got a concussion.  The very next week took #10 OSU to overtime.  Played ok against #10 TCU but their defense against our offense never gave us a chance. Beat #24 WVU.  Mizzou wasn’t a great team, but it was our first bowl game in 3 years and chance to have a winning season for first time in 4 years and won big.

2018 UT:

Went 5-2 against ranked teams. Both the USC and TCU wins were fool’s gold, but USC was our marquee OOC game and TCU had beaten the shit out of us for what felt like decades, so both were important games against teams ranked at the time and we showed up in both games. Beat a more talented OU squad, looking like the more physical and well-coached team. Lost to #12 WVU with a horrible performance by the defense. Easily handled #18 ISU. Lost to #5 OU in the title game. It was close until the safety and TD at the end, but I’d say we were outcoached that game. Stomped #6 UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

So Herman has a long track record of his teams punching above their weight in big games.  If anything, the two performances this year have been pretty big outliers from his previous 4 years and don’t seem likely to become the trend, but MissinginAction decided it’s over and we’ll never get over the hump with Herman, so I guess none of that matters.

• Like 9

Come on Burt. If Will Grier stays healthy in 2017, do you think Texas wins that one?

Herman has an awesome ability of getting the team ready for big games. It’s crazy. That’s what makes last Saturday so bizarre.

Record wise, I’m not complaining about where the team is at. The offense has been better than I thought. The defense is a lot worse than I thought they’d be, but part of that is the injuries.

Ok, I posted defensive numbers earlier, maybe we will feel better with offense:

Total offense: Texas, #35 (454.7 ypg), KU, #103 (354.5);

Rush Offense: Texas, #70 (163); KU, #74 (158.7);

Pass Offense: Texas, #21 (291.7), Kansas, #100 (195.8);

Scoring Offense: Texas, #13 (39.3 ppg), Kansas, #103 tie (22.8).

And, Texas is tied for #8 in turnover margin (+1.17/game).

We even have an edge in net punting. As long as we don’t try and return punts, this one’s in the W column. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

This mother fuckers !

We lost to two teams in the top 5 by 7 points each and by the way those teams are ranked 1, 2 in total offense in the country.

Yeah we really suck.

GTFO !

• Like 3

I’m sure Kansas gets to 20, but they are not the goons, LSU or even okie state. Not even close. Texas’ offense alone should be enough to win this. No hand-wringing or griping about this one, they haven’t even started and there’s this, “omigish, it’s Les Miles” nonsense. 

Horns are winning this.