Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

my take was he has to be better than Strong.  He was, but it was another G5 coin flip as to whether he was going to be as good as early Mack.  ended up being late Mack with a Sugar Bowl win.

The bringing in of his G5 assistants(H town comin' to the ATX!) was the fatal error.  monumentally stupid.  That is the problem with G5 guys, especially those that have few HC seasons.  They don't have enough experience to bring the guys they really need for a job like this.  they bring all their buddies/sycophants.

with an experienced HC you don't have to worry about that as much.  With Urban you really really don't have that issue.

our Houston BMD's bought into the Mensa narrative and wanted to be the shot callers after the Charlie debacle.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how did you rank Herman when it was announced that he was our new head coach four years ago?

When it was announced, I looked at his pedigree and saw it was identical to CS.  Only difference was him being white, and douchy.  Tried to stay positive the first year, but after Maryland #2 in '18, I started calling him the White CS.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jinx said:

Why does Herman need to be at this conference?  I would love Urban, but I will settle for anyone that isn't Tom.  This has been one of the biggest question marks of the entire season and has been talked about across the media.  It appears to have a very clear cut answer in regard to Herman's future as of Friday afternoon, yet we let this total fiasco occur today.  What is the national media going to do with this press conference?  What is our already fragile recruiting class going to think?

I like CDC overall, but the optics of this press conference today are very poor to say the least.  If he isn't responsible, let me know where to direct my blame.

Because hes still the coach and this is one of his duties? You people put too much fucking stock in coaches press conferences, they mean nothing and say even less.

1 minute ago, freyguy said:

When it was announced, I looked at his pedigree and saw it was identical to CS.  Only difference was him being white, and douchy.  Tried to stay positive the first year, but after Maryland #2 in '18, I started calling him the White CS.

not even close to CS.  this is revisionist history.  

Just now, dcar00 said:

not even close to CS.  this is revisionist history.  

believe what you want.  Both of those coaches came from the same background / experience, and both ended up contributing jack shit to the legacy of our football program.  We should never again hire amateurs to run this program.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

my take was he has to be better than Strong.  He was, but it was another G5 coin flip as to whether he was going to be as good as early Mack.  ended up being late Mack with a Sugar Bowl win.

The bringing in of his G5 assistants(H town comin' to the ATX!) was the fatal error.  monumentally stupid.  That is the problem with G5 guys, especially those that have few HC seasons.  They don't have enough experience to bring the guys they really need for a job like this.  they bring all their buddies/sycophants.

with an experienced HC you don't have to worry about that as much.  With Urban you really really don't have that issue.

our Houston BMD's bought into the Mensa narrative and wanted to be the shot callers after the Charlie debacle.

Similar to me.  Herman was likely going to be better than Strong.  I was more excited that Strong was gone than Herman was hired and I thought Strong was a decent human just a bad coach.

Herman is an average coach who beat OU once and apparently an asshole of a human.  You hit the nail with his coaching staff, it was like Charlie 2.0 with the staff he brought in.  I think Herman met my low expectations based on his staff.  He went from Charlies .450 record to a .650 record.  The standard should be close to .800 with a minimum .500 against OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, freyguy said:

believe what you want.  Both of those coaches came from the same background / experience, and both ended up contributing jack shit to the legacy of our football program.  We should never again hire amateurs to run this program.

you seem to believe in fairy tales.  you are what your record says you are. Charlie's is the worst by a long fucking shot.  

yes we shouldn't hire G5 ever again at all ever.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The president and CDC will be worried about how it looks in a year where they laid off a lot of people to save money and then a buyout and a 12 million salary not counting assistants.  Boosters will want UM, we will see who wins out.

Hartzell is driving this train. People are divided on CDC. I think he’s a fvcking idiot. He wants Meyer too though. 

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Similar to me.  Herman was likely going to be better than Strong.  I was more excited that Strong was gone than Herman was hired and I thought Strong was a decent human just a bad coach.

Herman is an average coach who beat OU once and apparently an asshole of a human.  You hit the nail with his coaching staff, it was like Charlie 2.0 with the staff he brought in.  I think Herman met my low expectations based on his staff.  He went from Charlies .450 record to a .650 record.  The standard should be close to .800 with a minimum .500 against OU.

Charlie was getting beat by 2 TD's a lot.  we were completely uncompetitive.  2 wins OU and Notre Dame.

Herman is a failure.  Charlie was a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

So if it is a Meyer announcement happening tomorrow, how does Zach Barnett know about it before all of our $9.95ers?

Sources close to Urban as opposed to sources on the Texas side maybe? IDK, but dammit I want to believe. Fuck it...I'm going to the "It's Happening Bunker"

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

FootballScoop writes an article every year called Nuclear Winter. It’s a hypothetical coaching carousel where they pretend all these scenarios happen and write an article about it. I’m sure that’s what the tweet was about considering the gif and this response:

That's right, I remember those from years past.  Damnit.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

FootballScoop writes an article every year called Nuclear Winter. It’s a hypothetical coaching carousel where they pretend all these scenarios happen and write an article about it. I’m sure that’s what the tweet was about considering the gif and this response:

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Charlie was getting beat by 2 TD's a lot.  we were completely uncompetitive.  2 wins OU and Notre Dame.

This. 

Herman at least had some vision for facilities, social media, walk on program, and making it look like we cared about football again.

Charlie had no idea what was needed or cared to ask for anything. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, we're on the same page just different words.  You say disaster i say bad coach.  You say failure I say average.  That Herman .625 record is average at a school that (used to) command better.

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

This. 

Herman at least had some vision for facilities, social media, walk on program, and making it look like we cared about football again.

Charlie had no idea what was needed or cared to ask for anything. 

To be fair Charlie’s AD was a penny pinching bitch of an AD. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I see absolutely zero way they are firing Herman before Saturday. You don’t trot the face of the program out on Monday just to can him the next day. It makes no logical sense and, for the first time in a long time, we have pretty competent people above the head coach.

I think you fire him the moment urban signs.  And not a second later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It has to do with the coach's rolodex. Someone like UM can call on anyone in the industry whereas Herman probably knows only the few coaches he worked with in the past.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I think you fire him the moment urban signs.  And not a second later. 

This.

Herman has used up any goodwill he had with his boss (hell his boss' boss is driving now) and the new guy needs to hit the ground running.

Edited by TexasEd

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic