Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

The recruiting board is where, during the height of their panic and furious hand-wringing over what firing Charlie would do to the '17 recruiting class, it was suggested that we should hire a secret HC to ghost coach the team while allowing  Charlie to remain as a figurehead/recruiter. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

If CDC is really getting on the phone and telling recruits TH has job security, that is seriously problematic.

Can AD's even call recruits? Ever since Herman said that, I've thought that it would be a recruiting violation. The ncaa is very particular about who can make contact with recruits, and I don't think AD's can. I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Unless CDC knows that the fuck he's doing and is a best AD in the country (one of, at least), this would seem like a problem.  Maybe CDC is playing chess and we're all looking at a checker board.  Time will tell.

He's obviously playing 4d chess.  None of us could possibly imagine the strategic moves CDC could have in store.  CDC is so smart his moves are meant to look like he's a normal AD.  But he only acts that way to throw off other competing AD's.  He's that smart.

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're really missing the point here. I'd have fired Herman before the Tech game last year, but that has nothing to do with the conversation of people complaining about letting Herman stay another week because it will hurt recruiting.  The timing of firing Herman is irrelevant to recruiting. Sure, getting Meyer in here ASAP will help a little, but doing it now or one week from now really won't change anything, and all reports indicate we've made him an incredible offer and it's now up to him to accept.  

You don’t fire a coach coming off 10-win Sugar bowl victory. 

Edited by jdhorn92

2 minutes ago, Yuk said:

He's obviously playing 4d chess.  None of us could possibly imagine the strategic moves CDC could have in store.  CDC is so smart his moves are meant to look like he's a normal AD.  But he only acts that way to throw off other competing AD's.  He's that smart.

Lmao Urban Meyer's arrival is imminent. Jesus this fan base is delusional.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 25

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

An in-season firing immediately after a win would be pretty odd. 

But we’re Texas. What we start here changes the world. Lol. Firing someone after a win would certainly keep the next coach on their toes. Sorry I laughed myself silly at ur post. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The recruiting board is where, during the height of their panic and furious hand-wringing over what firing Charlie would do to the '17 recruiting class, it was suggested that we should hire a secret HC to ghost coach the team while allowing  Charlie to remain as a figurehead/recruiter. 

It's hardly the recruiting board's fault that MarkStanco or BobbyBatronic occasionally wander in there and say something just profoundly stupid before we can beat them off with sharp sticks. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pretty sure Herman said today that "the offer still stands". I don't think he's actually calling recruits. 

Thanks for the clarity on that. Something CDC may have said to him in the past in a somewhat joking manner, that Tom is regurgitating cause he thinks it makes it sound like he’s in solid ground. I could buy that

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I think there will be a lot of disappointed fans in the next few weeks. Everything is predicated on UM wanting to 1. Coach again 2. Coach at Texas. If he turns us down, we are not buying out Herman's expensive contract for Luke Fucking Fickle. So now we have a contracted coach, that most of the fanbase wants gone, that knows we tried to axe him. 

our disappointment is irrelevant.  #1 is on CDC.  #2 is on CDC.  that's the way it works in sales.  the salesperson is shot when the third party doesn't conform to the will of the salesperson's management.

thus, it's all on cdc.

therefore, cdc must pay for cum's heresy.

abracadabra.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's hardly the recruiting board's fault that MarkStanco or BobbyBatronic occasionally wonder in there and say something just profoundly stupid before we can beat them off with sharp sticks. 

The best part of the recruiting board is the ebbs and flow of satya and bruh man emotions. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The timing question is interesting with probably the last regular season game coming up this weekend.  If TH wants to coach again, he plays along and keeps his mouth shut, takes his buyout and says good things about his time at Texas, and quietly goes away after corching the Horns for the last time against KSU.
Coaching against KSU? If he sticks around past today he's coaching against the Horns. If not Urban himself, should be Ash or Yurchich as interim coach in the little apple..

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

The best part of the recruiting board is the ebbs and flow of satya and bruh man. 

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that Satya has more than one gear? That man is the model of fatalistic consistency. Or, in a much more apropos comparison, that guy's cycle is more regular than a swiss watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Sure. What's your plan? Try to go after Saban if we miss on Urban lol.

Ugh. I can't believe I'm engaging a poster a cunt hair away from getting crowd sourced.

But the answer is, 1) do everything you can to land urban

If he says no, then 2) go through a formal coaching search, which includes vetting all kinds of candidates.

The problem is that Urban is the only one coach right now that meet's CDC's defined criteria of what he's looking for in a coach - someone who has built and achieved sustained success at multiple programs. Urban's the only one that is realistically available. I guess we might make a splash and hire Shannahan for a shit ton of money, but he's never coached at the college level so he's far from a sure thing. You could theoretically look at someone like Brady, but I don't think we want to hire someone who has never been a head coach at the college level. Maybe you look at Fickell or Fleck or one of those dudes. You could choose to believe this season was a COVID-related anomaly and give Franklin a shot. None of those options sound very appealing to me, and I'm guessing to most of the fan base. Basically, we're going to be rolling the dice for a third time after crapping out the last two rolls. It's not ideal.

Lmao Urban Meyer's arrival is imminent. Jesus this fan base is delusional.

That was obviously a joke. This isn't the board for you. 

7 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Honestly if you have to fire Herman, go after a Joe Brady type. Try to find the next big thing, that said I doubt that happens and they probably just roll with Herman for another year.

Well if that was the plan then we already failed because there is no effort by those in charge to rally everyone behind Herman. If we plan on keeping Herman, we are undermining him big time then. Sure failure seems like a bad business decision to me, and that is what we have going on here.

And yeah it can be Brady, or Chris Ash, or whomever but we need somebody in there who the admin will support and who is not a dead man walking.

Again unless the plan is to fail as hard as possible 

As long as Meyer is hired a week or so before early signing day then nothing else makes a shit. That would be dec 9th.  If urban is a done deal nothing in the next week or so matters. If he isn't,  then fuck it. It doesn't matter. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Ugh. I can't believe I'm engaging a poster a cunt hair away from getting crowd sourced.

If he says no, then 2) go through a formal coaching search, which includes vetting all kinds of candidates.

The problem is that Urban is the only one coach right now that meet's CDC's defined criteria of what he's looking for in a coach - someone who has built and achieved sustained success at multiple programs. Urban's the only one that is realistically available. I guess we might make a splash and hire Shannahan for a shit ton of money, but he's never coached at the college level so he's far from a sure thing. You could theoretically look at someone like Brady, but I don't think we want to hire someone who has never been a head coach at the college level. Maybe you look at Fickell or Fleck or one of those dudes. You could choose to believe this season was a COVID-related anomaly and give Franklin a shot. None of those options sound very appealing to me, and I'm guessing to most of the fan base. Basically, we're going to be rolling the dice for a third time after crapping out the last two rolls. It's not ideal.

I would continue to argue and content that this specific board isn't for either of us, sir. 

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

But we’re Texas. What we start here changes the world. Lol. Firing someone after a win would certainly keep the next coach on their toes. Sorry I laughed myself silly at ur post. 

Mackovic won the final SWC Championship, followed up by winning the inaugural Big 12 Championship and then got fired a year later. Getting fired after a single win over a middle of the pack team isn't even on the radar.

Fuck Herman. He got paid $37M to coach football and failed at it. He knew the stakes when he signed the contract.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, irishtexan said:

1. They're trying. They've offered him an obscene amount of money. They aren't going to fire Herman and risk completely flopping on Urban just because some butthurt fans are angry about the team underperforming.

2. That $25 million buyout is no joke, that money comes from somewhere and I guarantee the buyout is conditional on the basis of landing a Urban Meyer type.

Jesus why is this so hard to understand?

Also Fleck? Fickel? For reals? We might as well just stick with Mensa at that point. I'd be down with Shanahan but I very seriously doubt he comes here or if the boosters want him.

• Fuck You 17

1. They're trying. They've offered him an obscene amount of money. They aren't going to fire Herman and risk completely flopping on Urban just because some butthurt fans are angry about the team underperforming.

2. That $25 million buyout is no joke, that money comes from somewhere and I guarantee the buyout is conditional on the basis of landing a Urban Meyer type.

Also Fleck? Fickel? For reals? We might as well just stick with Mensa at that point. I'd be down with Shanahan but I very seriously doubt he comes here or if the boosters want him.

You fucking asked what we do. I laid out all the obvious progression.

What exactly are you trying to argue? What is the point that you're trying to make? That we're all stupid for believing that Urban Meyer might be the next coach? What a fucking stupid and wrong fight to pick as a new poster on this board. No one is saying it's a sure thing. We are all hoping that it happens. If it doesn't we fucking reassess. 

I'm tired of your shit. Please fuck off back to orangebloods or wherever you came from.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

You should stop saying "we." Especially since I am getting this post in right before the crowdsource. 

We won't be paying Herman a 25 million dollar buyout. The reason why really isn't so hard to understand. But I can see why someone used to seeing no buy-outs might be confused. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Fuck off back to texags, you cuck. Take RD with you on your way out.

17 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Honestly if you have to fire Herman, go after a Joe Brady type. Try to find the next big thing, that said I doubt that happens and they probably just roll with Herman for another year.

That's how they got in position having to pay 25 or so million just to buy off Herman and Co. Unless Herman has just alienated the majority of that team behind the scenes and had made it so toxic that he has to go they should always give the public projection their coach who's under contract will be back until the minute he's not

3 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Taylor Hamm? Is that you? I’ve assumed he floats around here, but today is the first time I’ve seen someone post with such an uncanny ability to be a bitch 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I have a feeling almost all of us are going to be wildly disappointed 

If anyone expects any hiring news to come before firing news, most definitely. 

I don't think Meyer comes here personally, as I don't think he coaches again, but that's just a feeling based on nothing but what occurred in his final two years at OSU. I do hope that is wrong and we can hire him as he is likely the best available option, but i'll be a bit surprised (gladly so) if he does come to Texas. 

13 minutes ago, Yuk said:

I agree with this but think you meant it as a joke.

The 4th Dimension is time...  CDC is playing this out on a timeline that makes sense.  

Think of the pre-requisites to getting this done starting a the time a new coach is announced and going backwards.  Some could be parallel tracks but not all

0. New corch announced, 1. Contract is signed 1a. Old coach fired 2. New corch accepts, 3. Negotiations for corch and key staff complete, 4. Key staff accept, 5. Coach agrees in principle ...

If we aren't far enough down the path nothing will be made officially public.  All we will hear are rumors until we get to step 0 above.

• Hook 'Em 2

I joined IT this week to follow in the insanity. In a response on his "Scoop" thread, Nahlin said Saban-to-Texas was "much more done" than Urban-to-Texas is right now. I found that interesting. That doesn't mean Urban/Texas marriage is unlikely to happen -- just pointing out Saban was effectively a done deal until scuttled by some with veto power. Thankfully, that won't be a reason why Urban couldn't happen.

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

With the season effectively over, I can only think of two reasons for the complete silence by CDC.  

- negotiating a reduced buyout with Herman given some sketchy behavior  

- UM hasn’t accepted yet 

Could  be either one or both.   

ok, there we go, CDC has Herm by the balls.  He can offer a good recommendation or the truth about his off the field behavior?  Huh? It can't be that simple, can it? 

I would think UM is getting the last 10 million out of Texas.  I predict something in the area of 6 years at $13.  It needs to be a total higher than Jimbo, so just higher than 75.  6 and 13 =78, so there it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I joined IT this week to follow in the insanity. In a response on his "Scoop" thread, Nahlin said Saban-to-Texas was "much more done" than Urban-to-Texas is right now. I found that interesting. That doesn't mean Urban/Texas marriage is unlikely to happen -- just pointing out Saban was effectively a done deal until scuttled by some with veto power. Thankfully, that won't be a reason why Urban couldn't happen.

There's no big dick Mack to fuck shit up this time though.  Tom hasn't been vacationing with Deloss, Bill or the BMDs

Just now, orangecat92 said:

ok, there we go, CDC has Herm by the balls.  He can offer a good recommendation or the truth about his off the field behavior?  Huh? It can't be that simple, can it? 

I would think UM is getting the last 10 million out of Texas.  I predict something in the area of 6 years at $13.  It needs to be a total higher than Jimbo, so just higher than 75.  6 and 13 =78, so there it is. 

Joke's on you - Jumbo's dollar goes much further in Collie Station than it does at tu.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Didn't someone else - was it Burton after moving to IT? - say the exact opposite?

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic