Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Are you willing to spend $20M+ to change out the football staff before having a slam-dunk replacement in the bag? I’m not sure I’m there yet. For Urban? Fuck yeah, I am. But firing Herman and his staff, then striking out on Urban and having go to Plan B is not quite where I’m at right now.

The nice thing is we are going to know within days if Urban is accepting the offer. He wants as long of a run-up to the 12/19 ESD.

I buy into this line of thought.  Herman still has pretty big buy-out between his contract and those of the assistants.  That money isn't coming from operations.  So,  it sounds like CDC has plenty of gunpowder to go get UM,  but if UM hasn't said yes yet, or ultimately says no,  who knows what the constraints on the buyout money are - as in show me a candidate and I'll let you know vs. Herman out at any or all costs.   This would cause what we have seen so far - ie no termination or reassignment prior to all boxes checked with all parties.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Did y'all like it when he said, paraphrasing here, "the expectations at this program are to be in the conversation to play in the conference championship game, and we did that"? 

Did y'all like that? 

Where's our wall keeping track of conference championship conversations? Our Hall of Honorable Mentions?

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Did y'all like it when he said, paraphrasing here, "the expectations at this program are to be in the conversation to play in the conference championship game, and we did that"? 

Did y'all like that? 

We were in that conversation pre-season so we could've gone winless and met that insanely low bar

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A consensus on firing Herman by the decision makers is conditional at the moment.  That condition has not been met so Herman is still the coach.  Herman will continue to function in his job until either the condition has been met or consensus is reached without the conditional (either retaining or firing).  I don't think it's that complicated and Herman conducting this press conference is fine if not emotionally gratifying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, B00M said:

We were in that conversation pre-season so we could've gone winless and met that insanely low bar

Oops. "In November and December". 

He basically said that our standard should be to finish in the top half of the conference and have a winning season. That's what I took away from this PC. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My guess is nothing officially happens until after Saturday’s game. There really isn’t any need for anything to happen sooner other than our own immediate gratification anyway. 

Well besides recruiting. I hear that matters. 

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I really don’t care about whatever is said at the press conference, but I still don’t understand the logic of not firing Herman until his replacement is a done deal.   Just get him out like we should have done after the OU game.  The rest of the season means nothing (if we even play the games), and his presence is probably a net negative for recruiting even if his replacement is uncertain.  

Other schools aren’t waiting anymore to fire guys in season, especially now that we have the early signing day.   This isn’t 1970, and it’s not like we’re worried if we fire him without a replacement lined up that we can’t find someone to take the job.  

So we pay all that $ to have UM publicly turn us down? We're supposed to see if Fickle wants to be Plan B? Fuck no. You back up the Brinks truck only if you are guaranteed to get your guy.

Odds are that Herman will be coaching us next year. 

That press conference was hilarious.  Herman knows he's done.  At this point, he's trying to position himself for his next gig.  I'm sure his agent has given him stats to shout off.  Some of the hilarious stats and comments:

-   he mentioned having 4 winning seasons in a row, lmao

-   he talked about us beating our rivals (1-4 record versus ou)

-  he talk about new year's bowl games

-  he talked about 10 win seasons.... when he has only had 1.

-  said they have accomplished what they wanted to which was to be in the conversation of a big 12 title in november.  lmao.  statistically, half the league has a 1% chance and is in the conversation of the game in november. 

I don't expect him to say they've sucked and that he's getting fired.  But everything he said was scripted probably by his agent.  I hope they let him do another press conference next Monday.  Let him sit up there shamefully.  He hates doing it because he has to face the media and talk about his failures.  He cannot blame anyone at this point.  Let me suffer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well besides recruiting. I hear that matters. 

Meyer isn’t going to save this class a few weeks before signing day. 2021 is fucked already even with Meyer. His help right away will be in the transfer market. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, cochamps said:

Isn’t TFB sooner infested?  Sounds like sooner twitter comments, while nearly everyone else says he is on board if health issues don’t gum things up.

You can be sure that if he says no - you'll hear it's the health issues...whether or not that's the case.  And that's the right way of doing it vs leaving UT stuck at the alter. 

Probably not coaching. I’m sure its just lack of talent. 

State population vs current NFL roster players - since 2005 (every state with a MNC)

State/POP(mm)/NFL

Texas/25/209

Florida/18.8/281

Ohio/11.5/105

Alabama/4.8/84

South C/4.6/53

Louisiana/4.5/90

So the last three MNC winners have a combined 217 players on NFL rosters and have a total population of just under 14 million people. Little over half the population of Texas with the same number of current NFL rostered players. Hmmmmmmm.

Nevermind the fact that this is only where the players were born, not where they went to college. I’d bet Texas looks even worse under that filter. 

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

So the strategy should be to have what...one, two, or three empty recruiting classes to set up the next coach? If we going to fuck ourselves for the next decade by keeping Herman around longer, we might as well just fire the next coach now and save us the buyout money 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

You can be sure that if he says no - you'll hear it's the health issues...whether or not that's the case.  And that's the right way of doing it vs leaving UT stuck at the alter. 

I actually think medical clearance could be the last obstacle.  Either that or maybe some unusual control issue that UM may want.

4 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Probably not coaching. I’m sure its just lack of talent. 

State population vs current NFL roster players - since 2005 (every state with a MNC)

State/POP(mm)/NFL

Texas/25/209

Florida/18.8/281

Ohio/11.5/105

Alabama/4.8/84

South C/4.6/53

Louisiana/4.5/90

So the last three MNC winners have a combined 217 players on NFL rosters and have a total population of just under 14 million people. Little over half the population of Texas with the same number of current NFL rostered players. Hmmmmmmm.

Nevermind the fact that this is only where the players were born, not where they went to college. I’d bet Texas looks even worse under that filter. 

Heard a stat today from an U of AL colleague, Bama has/had a starter at every position (Tua was starting last week) at every position  in the NFL, every position.

Edited by jdhorn92

25 minutes ago, jinx said:

So basically, we are keeping Herman after Urban blows us off.  Great!  I can feel the waves of apathy taking over!

tenor.gif?itemid=4211339

18 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If signing day wasn't like 2 weeks away, I don't think anyone would be freaked out. But the potential new coach effect on the recruiting class will be more than halved after NSD 1.  The clock is seriously fucking ticking... 

There isn't going to be a new coach effect on this class. It's a transition class; not even Meyer can change that. The new coach bump takes effect on the first full class, i.e. the 22 class. Whether Herman is fired and Meyer is announced tomorrow or a week from now won't make any meaningful difference to our recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Meyer isn’t going to save this class a few weeks before signing day. 2021 is fucked already even with Meyer. His help right away will be in the transfer market. 

I'm not gunna say he'd get the class into the top five or anything ridiculous like that, but there is no doubt in my mind that giving recruits 17 days to mull around playing for Urban Meyer at Texas, because it is real and happening, would help this class finish better than 17th or wherever tf it is today. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4211339

There isn't going to be a new coach effect on this class. It's a transition class; not even Meyer can change that. The new coach bump takes effect on the first full class, i.e. the 22 class. Whether Herman is fired and Meyer is announced tomorrow or a week from now won't make any meaningful difference to our recruiting. 

This is Urban Meyer we're talking about here, not some hot candidate of the month. The name alone could help pull one or two we wouldn't normally get. 

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I really don’t care about whatever is said at the press conference, but I still don’t understand the logic of not firing Herman until his replacement is a done deal.   Just get him out like we should have done after the OU game.  The rest of the season means nothing (if we even play the games), and his presence is probably a net negative for recruiting even if his replacement is uncertain.  

Other schools aren’t waiting anymore to fire guys in season, especially now that we have the early signing day.   This isn’t 1970, and it’s not like we’re worried if we fire him without a replacement lined up that we can’t find someone to take the job.  

Urban isn't coming to Texas. That was always delusional thinking by our fanbase. Herman sucks no doubt but why drop $25 million for a PJ Fleck or Campbell type of comer up. Might as well stick with Tom.

• Fuck You 30

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not gunna say he'd get the class into the top five, but there is no doubt in my mind that giving recruits 17 days to mull around playing for Urban Meyer at Texas, because it is real and happening, would help this class finish better than 17th or wherever tf it is today. 

The difference between 17 and 10 days will be negligible and the conversation is over firing Herman now, not when we can get Meyer to agree. It's not like Meyer has accepted and CDC is just keeping it quiet. Texas can't control when Meyer decides. If the reports of 5/60 are true, then CDC has done everything in his power to get Meyer to agree as soon as possible. Firing Herman now versus a week from now will not change our recruiting one bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, OU Still Sucks said:

Texas coach Tom Herman begins his Monday presser. "Obviously extremely disappointed and heart-broken, especially for our seniors in the outcome of last week's game."

Said that they needed to win to gain momentum on recruiting. Fuck you Tom Herman I thought you did not believe in momentum.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

This is Urban Meyer we're talking about here, not some hot candidate of the month. The name alone could help pull one or two we wouldn't normally get. 

He will be fine crushing it in the transfer portal.  These are 17/18 yo kids.  Hearing Urban Meyer isn't the same to them as it is to you/me.  

5 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

With the season effectively over, I can only think of two reasons for the complete silence by CDC.  

- negotiating a reduced buyout with Herman given some sketchy behavior  

- UM hasn’t accepted yet 

Could  be either one or both.   

3.  No one is saying anything until Urban gets back from his surprise Christmas dinner with the troops in Afghanistan.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The difference between 17 and 10 days will be negligible and the conversation is over firing Herman now, not when we can get Meyer to agree. It's not like Meyer has accepted and CDC is just keeping it quiet. Texas can't control when Meyer decides. If the reports of 5/60 are true, then CDC has done everything in his power to get Meyer to agree as soon as possible. Firing Herman now versus a week from now will not change our recruiting one bit.

So if Tom Herman is a cancer, would you wait or get start chemo as soon as possible?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

So we pay all that $ to have UM publicly turn us down? We're supposed to see if Fickle wants to be Plan B? Fuck no. You back up the Brinks truck only if you are guaranteed to get your guy.

This. I have no interest in Fickle or Campbell whatsoever. Might as well stick with Mensa.

• Fuck You 15

At this point I'm not sure your Athletic Department cares all that much about winning football games...as least not as much as making money. The only thing that will get their attention is for that to start to fade. Hopefully your boosters are making it clear if Tom comes back the money dries up. It's the only thing that'll matter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, jw4381 said:

I haven't heard mention of the state requirements for the job posting and all the accompanying time for that sort of thing. Could that be playing into the scenario for CDC?

No, there are ways around that requirement for coaching positions.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jw4381 said:

I haven't heard mention of the state requirements for the job posting and all the accompanying time for that sort of thing. Could that be playing into the scenario for CDC?

wouldn't the position have to be open for it to start it's posting time?

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic