Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

1) There are mouthbreathers among us for sure, but plenty of Ohio State fans would be just fine with him going to TX. He doesn't owe us anything.
2) I don't know if he was mad about how he was treated, but I do think the stress of it all aggravate the cyst problem.
3) He definitely has the ability to put magic back in the bottle and win some games in Austin. Maybe even a natty. Or at least set it up for his replacement to do so. I was impressed in 2012 when he didn't bring all his Florida buddies to Columbus. He used it as an opportunity to reboot. He rebooted again after 2017 when he hired Day. His run option offense ceased to be. But...
4) I think he's trolling you guys. To mess with Tom, maybe to help Ohio State recruiting, but for sure to stoke his ego. He's gonna sit bat and let CDC flake out. Maybe at the last second take the money. But if he does, he's gonna drag it out.

"I'm not an insecure tOSU fan who's worried about Meyer hurting our recruiting and chances of winning another title if he goes to Texas, but he's totally trolling you guys and he's not gonna take the job."

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

1) There are mouthbreathers among us for sure, but plenty of Ohio State fans would be just fine with him going to TX. He doesn't owe us anything.
2) I don't know if he was mad about how he was treated, but I do think the stress of it all aggravate the cyst problem.
3) He definitely has the ability to put magic back in the bottle and win some games in Austin. Maybe even a natty. Or at least set it up for his replacement to do so. I was impressed in 2012 when he didn't bring all his Florida buddies to Columbus. He used it as an opportunity to reboot. He rebooted again after 2017 when he hired Day. His run option offense ceased to be. But...
4) I think he's trolling you guys. To mess with Tom, maybe to help Ohio State recruiting, but for sure to stoke his ego. He's gonna sit bat and let CDC flake out. Maybe at the last second take the money. But if he does, he's gonna drag it out.

You had me until #4.  He doesn't hate Texas, he hates Herman.  Herman is gone regardless of what Urban does and this class is about tapped out.  

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think two factors to account for:

Urban needs to assemble his staff, if he really won't coach without that dude Mick, then that could be the deal breaker

Is CDC trying to reduce the buyout somehow?

this has always been the hold up & still is  hes waiting for mick & pantoni if they say no urban says no 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This isn't my expertise, but I'd imagine the only chances in reducing the buyout is time, or Tom violating something within the contract. Sound right?

The biggest question mark is that no one has seen his extension contract.  I'd also be sure there's some sort of morals clause of some sort which would allow us to terminate him for a DWI or something without having to pay the buy out.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Their odds makers give Herman staying a 50% chance and Urban to Texas a 20% chance. 

I'm not sure if those bets are actually posted anywhere - neither of my books does anything close to head coaching futures.

I would hesitantly say it's a good sign that oddsmakers are coming out with actual numbers for the scenario that aren't super far-fetched.

Nope. You only need to win 16.67% of the time to break even on a +500 bet. @ztejas

• Haha 1

Herman: "Chris and I have spoken a couple different times over the weekend. Very productive conversations. I think he’s right along with me that we’ve got a job to do to go prepare our kids to go win a game in Manhattan, Kan."

.@CoachTomHerman on Sam Cosmi: He's given us four great years. He's developed tremendously in his time here. I think he truly appreciates his time with Coach Hand, Coach McKnight, with myself, and at the U of T. We are extremely proud of him and wish him nothing but the best."

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This isn't my expertise, but I'd imagine the only chances in reducing the buyout is time, or Tom violating something within the contract. Sound right?

CDC is good, but I doubt he snuck a can't suck at coaching clause past Tom or his agent.  He ain't mensa for nothing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The biggest question mark is that no one has seen his extension contract.  I'd also be sure there's some sort of morals clause of some sort which would allow us to terminate him for a DWI or something without having to pay the buy out.

The extension probably only dealt with the term and salary for the extended term.  The other major provisions of the contract would remain in force.

And there is a "morals" clause that would entitle the University to terminate with no further financial obligation.

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we are willing to spend 12 million per year on the right coach, UM isn’t the only right coach that should be attainable for that price. Maybe we offer a little less to a current coach that has a buyout attached to their contract, maybe we eat the buyout if it’s only a few million. 
but this shouldn’t be an Urban or Tom binary choice, with urban doing the choosing.

yep $12M per should get us belichick for 4 years.  hopefully we've made a call.

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I considered possibility number four for like five seconds back when this all started. If Urban has moved on from coaching and is in his final career, it'd have been wise of him to not lead UT on very long when he was asked not to, because he would have been asked not to. Universities, different professional organizations, they can make it really hard on different media outlets when they don't like one of their guys. It can really screw with that outlet's access etc...  I know Urban's a competitor, and probably hates Tom Herman, but he also seems smart enough to be the professional in this case. 

I agree with your overall assessment here, but UT ain't shutting FOX's access out of shit.  It's not just some local website or radio station.  It's fucking FOX.  FOX is much bigger than UT.

Urban's not going to drag it out with signing day coming up FAST... unless he's willing to let early signing day pass without doing any recruiting.  If he's taking the job, he needs to do it fast.  He can see the amount of work that needs to be done to salvage the current class.  (Unless he's banking on the one time free transfers to fill in gaps.) 

Tom Herman said believes he still has the support of AD Chris Del Conte. In addition, Del Conte offered to call recruits on Herman's behalf to reassure them of the coach's job security after the Iowa State loss.

Herman: "Right now, that wouldn't be fair to our players if I were continually looking in the rearview mirror as to why certain things happened the way that they happen rather than prepare to beat Kansas State, and that's what we plan on doing."

Herman asked why this team, with a senior QB and three top-10 recruiting classes, didn't work: "Any answer I give you right now is going to come across as an excuse."

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

When asked if he has clarity about whether he would be back, Herman said he is totally focused on Kansas State.  But then states all of his conversations with CDC have gone well.

constructive and warranted criticism and career advice can be seen as conversation "gone well" The fucker is gone no question. Just don't fuck up the hire. 

1 minute ago, OU Still Sucks said:

On Sunday, Christian Jones played LT, Jake Majors played C, and Reese Moore was at RT with Derek Kerstetter out with his ankle injury and Sam Cosmi forgoing the remainder of the season.

If KSU has any resemblance of a pass rush we are fuked

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

To be fair, I have never lived there, but as an outsider I will never understand the high regard in which Ohioans hold their state.  I've been to Cleveland and Cincinnati and just don't see the appeal.  It's gotta be like bottom 5 states in the country for me.

I have always assumed it's a combination of not knowing better and the whole misery loves company concept.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

According to Vegas Meyer isn’t likely to be our coach, while Herman is a virtual lock to return next year.

So, if 50% is a virtual lock to you, then betting on Red at a roulette wheel is nearly a virtual lock.  But so is betting on Black, right?  How can you have two nearly virtual locks on the same bet?

• Hook 'Em 2

Tom sitting at this press conference today speaks volumes to the fact we are going to (or already have) fuck this up.

4 more years of mediocrity coming down the pike.  Can we just lighten our shade of orange a bit more so no one can tell the difference between us and Tennessee?

2 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Really? I find it entirely predictable

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

It's actually completely believable and very predictable.  We do it every time.

Yes, I agree.  My point is, I t’s been damn near 10 years of complete and utter mediocrity.  Their top conference competition (OU) is lapping then and their in-state rival for whom they’re  fighting for recruits is on an upward trajectory.  Fucking go on the offensive and put a stop to it. NOW. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic