Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
The 'keep Herman' scenario isn't a scenario.  There will be a new head football coach at Texas in 2021. 

Agreed. Logically, if we can't have Urban, it makes more sense to keep Herman for 1 more year than to pay all this money to take another risk on an unproven coach. It's at least possible that given a real off-season, Yurcich and Ash can make improvements. However, at this point, fans and donors are just too emotionally invested in replacing Herman. If he's here, support for the program will drop in a major way, and that affects everything -- giving, ticket sales, recruiting, etc. I think he has to go either way.

Recruiting, if Texas let Herman hang around for another season, would be (is) a disaster. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
The 'keep Herman' scenario isn't a scenario.  There will be a new head football coach at Texas in 2021. 

Agreed. Logically, if we can't have Urban, it makes more sense to keep Herman for 1 more year than to pay all this money to take another risk on an unproven coach. It's at least possible that given a real off-season, Yurcich and Ash can make improvements. However, at this point, fans and donors are just too emotionally invested in replacing Herman. If he's here, support for the program will drop in a major way, and that affects everything -- giving, ticket sales, recruiting, etc. I think he has to go either way.

Kicking the can down the road another year means you'll essentially have two transition classes in a row. Not ideal. 

13 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don’t think you know what the word logically means. There is nothing logical about keeping Herman another year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I got accepted to UT within a month or 2 of the VY national championship, was there during the Colt years and moved from Austin the summer of 2010. Just accepted a job in Austin and am moving back at the end of the year. I really just wanted to say "you're welcome", and I'm sorry for the last decade.

So you’re the one

• Haha 1

I want to believe... i do, i just cant... it seems like we are okay with status quo

You have an AD who has basically hung his head football coach out to dry, and multiple reports of big money donors being on the same page about money whipping Urban Meyer. It seems like no one outside of two posters on this board and a couple of twitter accounts are okay with the status quo right now.

Snap out of it!
  • Haha 1

I don’t think you know what the word logically means. There is nothing logical about keeping Herman another year. 
My point was that we have to replace Herman now because recruits, fans, and donors will have too much of a negative backlash if we keep him. I think that backlash is based more on emotion than logic. We all want him gone, period, full stop, even if it costs millions of dollars and we don't know whether the new coach will be equally risky. If we can't get Urban, then it's hard to justify that reaction (from recruits/fans/donors) on logic alone. It's emotional. But the emotion has real consequences in recruiting, support, etc., so it ends up being a major force in the decision.

The Chip Brown "update" might be significant in one respect, if true.

It is an indication perhaps that CDC is not going to let himself be run over roughshod by BMD.  That has been a recurrent theme in coaching hires since DKR hung it up.  It is one of the primary reasons we're in the fix we're in.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

How bad is Herman's nervous fidgeting / drinking of the water bottle going to be at his presser today? 

I don't know if the PC is really going to happen today, but if it does, Hermensa has earned all of the awkwardness.  As enjoyable as that would be, I wouldn't let him try to ignitre more fires around the program as he departs.

23 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I got accepted to UT within a month or 2 of the VY national championship, was there during the Colt years and moved from Austin the summer of 2010. Just accepted a job in Austin and am moving back at the end of the year. I really just wanted to say "you're welcome", and I'm sorry for the last decade.

Ok. Cool hookem. 

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My point was that we have to replace Herman now because recruits, fans, and donors will have too much of a negative backlash if we keep him. I think that backlash is based more on emotion than logic. We all want him gone, period, full stop, even if it costs millions of dollars and we don't know whether the new coach will be equally risky. If we can't get Urban, then it's hard to justify that reaction (from recruits/fans/donors) on logic alone. It's emotional.

Nope. Almost all coaching hires are more or less crapshoots, besides someone like Urban of course. Once you know your current coach isn’t the guy, you should move on to the next. There’s no sense in keeping a guy that isn’t the answer. Plus, recruiting has been in the tank for a while. Between that and transfers, we’d be committing roster suicide if we kept him. So no, there isn’t any logic that supports keeping Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 6

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I thought about this for a while and I think the best thing we could do is just remove cloak room from the site. 

Horrible idea.  This would only encourage more of those idiots to stray onto other boards.

3 minutes ago, Caddox said:

CDC is an empty suit who knows this season has been a disaster for him. He isnt standing in the way. 

I don't think you could be more wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caddox said:

CDC is an empty suit who knows this season has been a disaster for him. He isnt standing in the way. 

I guess. The guy he inherited sucks and now he gets to make his own hire. I mean it was disastrous, I just question if it was for CDC.

By: Team Effort

URBAN DEVELOPMENT

Below are things we’ve heard since Friday. Some of it is a reiteration, but reiteration is good.

What we know:

— The loss to Iowa State relieved a lot of pressure on the AD and administration. Even if Herman won out, including winning the Big 12, it would not have satiated a good amount of donors. We’ll never truly know if Texas would have removed Herman with an appearance in the conference championship, or even after a win, but the BBs would have begun spilling if he returned next year no matter what. A lot of donor money would have stayed on the sideline.

— This pursuit requires all hands on deck. We may find out too many cooks are in the kitchen, but a bid like this requires team effort. Athletic director Chris Del Conte isn’t even the point man on the search, that would be school president Jay Hartzell. That’s not to undermine CDC, but this is Hartzell’s show. Hartzell, CDC, and the Board of Regents are all on the same page. The boosters are too. If a full throttled search is needed, CDC will become the point man.

— The ball is in Urban’s court. He knows he’s wanted. He’s known for a while he’s wanted and he is very interested. He has been interested in the Texas job. This isn’t footsie and it’s not a hand on the thigh. They’re getting to the point where you find out if you’re going home together.

— Texas won’t miss on Urban due to money. He won’t find a better combination of compensation package and ability to win a National Championship at a third school. Yes there are better football schools, but when are they coming open? No school can exceed what UT is willing to offer, and they certainly can’t do it while he’s 56. Texas knows it has no leverage but it also knows Meyer won’t find a better deal.

— Scenario 4. This is very similar to Scenario 3 (a real search beyond Meyer) but it is also big game hunting. There isn’t much of an appetite for the Matt Campbells of the world, at least not yet. While everyone is pulling in the same direction and willing to break the bank, influential people want firm no’s and all options exhausted. Let me preface this by saying we’re pessimistic on any of these names coming to fruition, but before they move on to Scenario 3, the tires will be kicked on Dabo Swinney, Kyle Shanahan (tires have probably already been kicked), and maybe even Bob Stoops. It’s all dependent on what Meyer says. This is just indicative of the general mind state of the decision makers.

— Gerry mentioned a well known agent says Urban is taking the gig. A well known head coach is saying similarly. There’s just no way Meyer would turn down the job at the speculated dollar amount. This coaching source also says Meyer absolutely wants to coach again.

What we think we know:

We feel confident about what’s written here, but not to the point we’d report it as fact.

— Herman met with Del Conte on Sunday evening but we’re unsure how that meeting went. Herman was expected to ask for Del Conte's public support to help with the staff's current recruiting efforts.

— The dollar figure we heard on Sunday for Urban is 5 years for $60 million. We have also heard the salary pool for assistants is in the neighborhood of $10 million.

— We don’t believe family pressure will keep Meyer from coaching again, but we have heard with increasing regularity that health concerns are real. If doctors say he’s okay to coach again, that will be one more roadblock removed. More on this below.

— Texas is the only job, college or pro, Meyer would consider at this time. We have heard of no other suitors, and believe if he’s not coaching at Texas next year, he’s not coaching at all. In fact, his coaching days may be done for good.

— The UT braintrust should know by the end of this week if Meyer is going to take the job.

What we’re unsure about:

— Are health concerns a ploy to increase bargaining power? This issue likely would have been put to rest around the same time background checks were being done weeks ago. If Urban turns down this opportunity, we’ll be forced to question whether or not he will coach again.

— Timing. We speculated on the timing being after Kansas State. That makes the most sense to us given current information. We could see the timeline being earlier, but not longer than a week from today. They would prefer the replacement is locked up before an announcement is made on Herman.

From our vantage, Texas has done everything it can to land the second best coach of the century. They can’t make him take the job, they can only make it extremely difficult to turn down. Given how competitive he is, it’s hard to see what the hang up would be beyond health concerns.

RECRUITING MATTERS

Information on the recruiting front is slim right now following the Iowa State loss. Simply put, there are more questions by prospects than answers from the Texas staff.

One of the key reasons Tom Herman is looking for a vote of confidence from athletic director Chris Del Conte is for recruiting purposes -- to relieve the pressure on Herman and his staff.

The staff did take part in a few Zoom calls with 2021 prospects over the weekend, including Duncanville offensive tackle Savion Byrd. Tom Herman was not on the Zoom call with Byrd from what IT was told. SMU continues to be trending over Oklahoma, Auburn and Texas here with a commitment date set for December 16. While Texas has been working from far behind for a while now, Byrd has never cut off the communication and has always had interest. Something to tuck away.

Receivers coach Andre Coleman has been very active on the recruiting trail in the last week. Keithron Lee and J.J. Henry have been zeroed in on as two key targets. Coleman continues to relationship build with Lee, and strengthen his relationships with Henry's circle.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I've attended 4 TX-OU games and we are 4-0 in those games.  Sorry, not sorry.  It's just a beating to commit a whole weekend to going to Dallas for that.  

• Rage+1 1

You know there is a lot of smoke when twitter is starting to get fulllll of Sooner and tOSU fans pissing their pants.

Here. I'll give y'all a tasting because Sooner tears are too god damn sweet not to share:

aggy

tOSU - verified sports personality 🤣

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

— Scenario 4. This is very similar to Scenario 3 (a real search beyond Meyer) but it is also big game hunting. There isn’t much of an appetite for the Matt Campbells of the world, at least not yet. While everyone is pulling in the same direction and willing to break the bank, influential people want firm no’s and all options exhausted. Let me preface this by saying we’re pessimistic on any of these names coming to fruition, but before they move on to Scenario 3, the tires will be kicked on Dabo Swinney, Kyle Shanahan (tires have probably already been kicked), and maybe even Bob Stoops. It’s all dependent on what Meyer says. This is just indicative of the general mind state of the decision makers.

DecimalBogusFlamingo-small.gif

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s been de-bunked a million times. His buyout is prorated. There is no million or multi-million dollar cliff. We are either paying him to coach or paying his buyout.

Actually what has been posted a number of times are the terms in TH's original contract.  In every instance I saw the poster acknowledged the couldn't find the extension, unless someone finally posted it that I missed.  As such, there is always a possibility that the the extension changed the basis for the buyout and perhaps 12/1 is now significant.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't quite believe the reporting that says we've put the offer to Meyer and it's now up to him to accept it or not. I believe one of two things happened. Either they already have a verbal nod yes, as long as the contract details are fine, or he informed them last week he's decided to stay retired and the $12M is a last ditch effort to change his mind.

16 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I left Texas for Alaska June of 2004.   Moved back in August of 2010.   If I could move back out of Texas, I would.

I moved back here recently from Dallas. Not really with stars in my eyes - more due to extenuating circumstances that made it pragmatic.

I don't get it. This city is cool, I guess. Most of the time it just pisses me off. Once I get my affairs in order I'm definitely leaving again.

Alaska seems a little far and a little cold, though.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't quite believe the reporting that says we've put the offer to Meyer and it's now up to him to accept it or not. I believe one of two things happened. Either they already have a verbal nod yes, as long as the contract details are fine, or he informed them last week he's decided to stay retired and the $12M is a last ditch effort to change his mind.

Ya that wouldnt happen unless Herman has been fired

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

— Herman met with Del Conte on Sunday evening but we’re unsure how that meeting went. Herman was expected to ask for Del Conte's public support to help with the staff's current recruiting efforts.

Weren't the 9.95ers saying for weeks that CDC told Herman he had to win the conference to keep his job?

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Meyer's health problem with that cyst is real. Or at least it was 3 years ago. He had surgery for it.

His offenses at Ohio State were maddening. Good because of talent and execution. But not great because his play calling lacked alot.

If you hire him, keep an eye on our S&C coach Mickey Mariotti and Head of Ops Mark Pantoni. He brought them to Columbus from Florida, and they're both very good at their job.

Don't let him bring Zach Smith. Smith is an excellent position coach, but he's not worth the drama.

The only reason to bring Zach Smith would be to put the ultimate troll on Herman, but I think firing his ass will be enough.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

By: Team Effort

URBAN DEVELOPMENT

Below are things we’ve heard since Friday. Some of it is a reiteration, but reiteration is good.

What we know:

— The loss to Iowa State relieved a lot of pressure on the AD and administration. Even if Herman won out, including winning the Big 12, it would not have satiated a good amount of donors. We’ll never truly know if Texas would have removed Herman with an appearance in the conference championship, or even after a win, but the BBs would have begun spilling if he returned next year no matter what. A lot of donor money would have stayed on the sideline.

— This pursuit requires all hands on deck. We may find out too many cooks are in the kitchen, but a bid like this requires team effort. Athletic director Chris Del Conte isn’t even the point man on the search, that would be school president Jay Hartzell. That’s not to undermine CDC, but this is Hartzell’s show. Hartzell, CDC, and the Board of Regents are all on the same page. The boosters are too. If a full throttled search is needed, CDC will become the point man.

— The ball is in Urban’s court. He knows he’s wanted. He’s known for a while he’s wanted and he is very interested. He has been interested in the Texas job. This isn’t footsie and it’s not a hand on the thigh. They’re getting to the point where you find out if you’re going home together.

— Texas won’t miss on Urban due to money. He won’t find a better combination of compensation package and ability to win a National Championship at a third school. Yes there are better football schools, but when are they coming open? No school can exceed what UT is willing to offer, and they certainly can’t do it while he’s 56. Texas knows it has no leverage but it also knows Meyer won’t find a better deal.

— Gerry mentioned a well known agent says Urban is taking the gig. A well known head coach is saying similarly. There’s just no way Meyer would turn down the job at the speculated dollar amount. This coaching source also says Meyer absolutely wants to coach again.

What we think we know:

We feel confident about what’s written here, but not to the point we’d report it as fact.

— The dollar figure we heard on Sunday for Urban is 5 years for $60 million. We have also heard the salary pool for assistants is in the neighborhood of $10 million.

— We don’t believe family pressure will keep Meyer from coaching again, but we have heard with increasing regularity that health concerns are real. If doctors say he’s okay to coach again, that will be one more roadblock removed. More on this below.

— Texas is the only job, college or pro, Meyer would consider at this time. We have heard of no other suitors, and believe if he’s not coaching at Texas next year, he’s not coaching at all. In fact, his coaching days may be done for good.

— The UT braintrust should know by the end of this week if Meyer is going to take the job.

What we’re unsure about:

— Are health concerns a ploy to increase bargaining power? This issue likely would have been put to rest around the same time background checks were being done weeks ago. If Urban turns down this opportunity, we’ll be forced to question whether or not he will coach again.

— Timing. We speculated on the timing being after Kansas State. That makes the most sense to us given current information. We could see the timeline being earlier, but not longer than a week from today. They would prefer the replacement is locked up before an announcement is made on Herman.

From our vantage, Texas has done everything it can to land the second best coach of the century. They can’t make him take the job, they can only make it extremely difficult to turn down. Given how competitive he is, it’s hard to see what the hang up would be beyond health concerns.

RECRUITING MATTERS

Information on the recruiting front is slim right now following the Iowa State loss. Simply put, there are more questions by prospects than answers from the Texas staff.

One of the key reasons Tom Herman is looking for a vote of confidence from athletic director Chris Del Conte is for recruiting purposes -- to relieve the pressure on Herman and his staff.

The staff did take part in a few Zoom calls with 2021 prospects over the weekend, including Duncanville offensive tackle Savion Byrd. Tom Herman was not on the Zoom call with Byrd from what IT was told. SMU continues to be trending over Oklahoma, Auburn and Texas here with a commitment date set for December 16. While Texas has been working from far behind for a while now, Byrd has never cut off the communication and has always had interest. Something to tuck away.

Receivers coach Andre Coleman has been very active on the recruiting trail in the last week. Keithron Lee and J.J. Henry have been zeroed in on as two key targets. Coleman continues to relationship build with Lee, and strengthen his relationships with Henry's circle.

10 mill for assistants is insane..can absolutely hand pick anybody he wants

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic