Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

28 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/XOJ790-1606717286-dlad-7469565

Time to start tracking planes. I don't remember where Urban spends time in Colorado, but here's a plane bound for Austin from Rifle, CO. Left Houston last night. 

At least one of his daughters just got back from Columbus with "family". Assuming Urban was there for Thanksgiving then flew back to LA. Guessing he wouldn't fly anywhere but here in the meantime. 

Edited by ztejas
Yes I follow both of his daughters on instagram

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't quite believe the reporting that says we've put the offer to Meyer and it's now up to him to accept it or not. I believe one of two things happened. Either they already have a verbal nod yes, as long as the contract details are fine, or he informed them last week he's decided to stay retired and the $12M is a last ditch effort to change his mind.

So, you believe it is either a "yes" or a "no?"  😀

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You know there is a lot of smoke when twitter is starting to get fulllll of Sooner and tOSU fans pissing their pants.

Just type in Urban Meyer Texas to the search bar on twitter and a majority of the hits are Sooners saying it won't happen and making fun of Texas for thinking that it will.

10 hours ago, Oakbrook said:

Look up Dana X Bible.  We hired him away from Nebraska in ‘37, during the depression.  Paid him more than any professor at the time.  Quite scandalous at the time.  He was also the coach at TAMU when they won their new found national titles in ‘19 & ‘27.  He is credited with building 3 major programs:  A&M, Nebraska, & Texas.  He set the table for Royal.

Thank you for using "set the table", and NOT baked the cake!

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

At least one of his daughters just got back from Columbus with "family". Assuming Urban was there for Thanksgiving then flew back to LA. Guessing he wouldn't fly anywhere but here in the meantime. 

Also think Shelley mentioned them going to Florida this weekend so that may be a location for the UT brass to meet with them. 

15 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Guys, i am sure we can fix this thing with some new assistant hires.  maybe even change out the Coordinators, but i hope we don't go too crazy.

I could see Ash staying; our D has improved and the majority comes back.  Giles is on his 3rd straight DL of the year; Hutzler is a stud.  Also , Meyer is on record stating Ash was a great hire.  Our D has played well enough that it could be justified to keep Ash.  The problems have been on the offensive side of the ball. We should have had a swing pass dialed up on the last drive to get Bijan in space , especially with a timeout. 

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

10 mill for assistants is insane..can absolutely hand pick anybody he wants

But it would be worth every penny of it.

With the exception of Florida, Urban's assistants took off right where he left off at Utah and Ohio State in the sense one of them was hired and kept the mojo going.

I want Urban in that job today and I mean by noon CST if possible.  My small reservation is the fact he's been a short time employee and most places he's been the HC.  If he can find a few good men who   he thinks is the next coach in waiting if he has to leave for one reason or another, then it's good for the program.  I might be wrong, but I don't recall Ohio State fans bellyaching and bitching about Ryan Day being Urban's replacement.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Long fucking list of HC candidates from Bruce Feldman:

It’s not expected to be the typical hectic year on the coaching carousel due to the pandemic and the financial challenges that have come with it, but South Carolina looking beyond a $15 million hurdle to fire Will Muschamp showed that things can —and will still get wild.

Vanderbilt’s firing of Derek Mason on Sunday created a fourth FBS vacancy to go with South Carolina, Utah State and Southern Miss. Bigger dominoes though could fall in the next month. With that as a backdrop, let’s size up the 20 most intriguing names that could be in play this year on the coaching carousel.

1. Urban Meyer

Full disclosure: I work with the former Ohio State head coach at FOX on our “Big Noon Kickoff” show.

Meyer is the elephant in the room when it comes to potentially huge coaching openings, and there could be one coming open this winter at Texas. Tom Herman is near the end of his fourth season at Texas, and the Longhorns are nowhere close to being a top-10 team. And despite a strong second season when they finished No. 9, it’s been very underwhelming.

After last season, Herman fired most of his staff — many of whom he brought with him from Houston — but the results haven’t been much better. A loss last Friday at home to Iowa State dropped Herman to 7-7 in his last 14 games. The feeling is this program should be better than it is now, and recruiting is backsliding. It would take $15 million-plus to move on from Herman, not to mention the cost of parting with the coaching staff.

People with knowledge of the matter say the UT brass is prepared to move on from Herman, but where they’d go next is the really intriguing part. Herman’s old boss, Meyer, is the wish candidate. He won national titles at Florida and at Ohio State and wasted little time getting them there. The 56-year-old does have health concerns, and those were a real factor in him walking away from a plum job in Columbus. Does he still want badly to be on the sidelines?

Here’s my read on the situation: It’s really, really, really hard for coaches who walked away on top to stay away — especially someone as wildly competitive as Meyer is. In Texas, you have a big job in a conference that appears ripe for the taking. This certainly isn’t the meat grinder that is the SEC. There are some parallels to how watered down the Big Ten was back when Meyer first showed up in Columbus. Meyer also has a good window into what’s going on inside at Texas and the personnel there given his former defensive coordinator Chris Ash now runs the Longhorns defense. Texas has great resources and a hefty recruiting base that Meyer did well mining when he was at Ohio State.

All that said, Meyer has taken to TV really well. He is extremely engaged in our show and very passionate about it — maybe as much as any analyst that I’ve worked with in TV. He genuinely cares about the show and takes great pride in the presence he has as a commentator on the sport, so I could definitely see him staying committed to that. I’ve worked with some former coaches who moved into TV and they essentially went through the motions, coasting on their name and personalities. That is definitely not Meyer or how he’s transitioned to it here.

I don’t know this for certain, but I suspect there are moments when he’s tempted by the prospects of being back in it as a coach, striving toward building and running a powerhouse being wired for how all-consuming that is. And then there probably are other days when he’s very comfortable with his situation now.

2. Matt Campbell, Iowa State

If Michigan or Texas were to come up, Campbell would be a strong option for both. In fact, I think if the Wolverines need to find another coach, to me, he’s the best option.

Campbell builds and develops a culture as well as any young coach in the sport. His teams play hard and never quit. Spend time around his program and you come away thinking, “OK, I get it. I’m a believer.” He also has a great eye for talent. The 41-year-old Ohio native is the real deal. Iowa State was fortunate to land him. He has the Cyclones 7-2 in his fifth year, and they are 30-18 in his last four seasons. Given the program’s history, that is remarkable. This the first time the Cyclones have beaten the Sooners and Longhorns in the same season since the conference began in 1996.

3. Hugh Freeze, Liberty

He wins games. He’s won everywhere he’s been and elevated each program, including now at Liberty where he’s taken over a mostly FCS-caliber roster and turned it into a Top 25 product. He’s a fantastic play-caller and has continued to evolve as a head coach. I’m convinced he could make South Carolina into a Top 25 team pretty quickly. I’m even more confident he’d do that at Tennessee (a job he grew up wanting) and Auburn in even less time. Neither of those jobs are open, and they might not come open until 2021 at the earliest, but we’ll see.

4. Steve Sarkisian, Alabama offensive coordinator

The former USC and Washington head coach has spent two years calling plays for the Tide, and his stock is soaring. Since taking over Alabama’s offense, the Tide is averaging 48 points per game and eight yards per play. In the decade before, the Tide averaged 37 ppg and 6.67 yards per play.

Sarkisian fizzled out at USC as he struggled with personal problems, but word is he’s in a much better place and has impressed a lot of folks in Tuscaloosa. That has carried over to parts of the coaching industry, where he turned down Power 5 head coaching opportunities last year at Colorado and Mississippi State. People with knowledge of the matter say South Carolina has a lot of interest in him, but he’s going to be very choosy.

He has positioned himself well to be a viable candidate when Nick Saban opts to step down, whenever that may be. Sarkisian was the acting head coach in the Iron Bowl with Saban home sidelined with COVID-19, and Sark led the Tide to a 42-13 rout, prompting Saban to say the staff did a marvelous job and crediting the California native for doing a “nice job of managing things.”

5. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati

The former Ohio State standout turned down a chance to coach in the Big Ten at Michigan State last winter. There’s been a lot of chatter that Fickell, 30-5 the past three years, would only be tempted by very few jobs, and none of those are open. Could a Buckeye really sign on to be Michigan’s head coach? It doesn’t sound like it based on those who know Fickell well. Would Texas be more attractive? What if James Franklin ended up jumping at Texas and then Penn State had a vacancy?

6. Billy Napier, Louisiana

Another Nick Saban protégé, Napier is a 41-year-old Tennessee native who spent almost a decade coaching in South Carolina as a Clemson assistant. Napier is 19-4 in the past two seasons and has shown savvy in putting together an excellent staff and developing a winning culture for the Ragin’ Cajuns. He’s turned down opportunities for SEC jobs and is a strong candidate for the South Carolina vacancy, but does he want to wait on Auburn or Tennessee?

7. James Franklin, Penn State

This has been a clunker of a season for the Nittany Lions with key opt-outs and a decimated running back room. The Nittany Lions are 1-5, but anyone who questions Franklin’s coaching acumen is kidding themselves. His work at Vanderbilt (two Top 25 seasons in three years) is unmatched, and he has led Penn State to a Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl.

The 48-year-old Pennsylvania native has been a good fit, and he knows he has a good situation. The reason he’s on this list is that it’s no secret Texas AD Chris Del Conte thinks very highly of Franklin.

8. Jeff Hafley, Boston College

The Eagles hit a home run in hiring the 41-year-old New Jersey native, and his early success is not surprising. Hafley worked wonders improving the Ohio State defense last year and has long been known as a fantastic recruiter. He’s 6-4 with a close loss at Clemson. It’s only been one year as a head coach, and that isn’t much of a sample, but if I’m Michigan and I have to make a candidates list, he’s higher on my list than a lot of the usual suspects.

9. Brent Venables, Clemson, defensive coordinator

He’s been the best defensive coordinator in college football for a few years now and has been a terrific part of the Tigers’ program. Venables has turned down some decent Power 5 head coaching opportunities. He’s happy at Clemson and is coaching his two sons now. It’s going to take a ripe situation to get him to leave. If I’m Texas, I’d have Venables high on my list. He played in the Big 12 footprint, was a key assistant at Kansas State and Oklahoma and is a dogged recruiter.

10. Clark Lea, Notre Dame defensive coordinator

If the Nashville native and former Vanderbilt player wants the Commodores’ head coaching job, he’s going to be very hard to pass up. The 38-year-old has player a key role in Notre Dame’s rise as a College Football Playoff contender. Under Lea, the Irish are No. 3 in total defense and have been terrific at shutting down some special players, with Clemson star Travis Etienne at the top of the list.

11. Shane Beamer, Oklahoma assistant coach

The son of Frank Beamer and a former South Carolina assistant on Steve Spurrier’s staff, Beamer has a lot of momentum for the Gamecocks opening with some key boosters and many former players.

12. Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

He’s invigorated a program from 3-9 in his debut season to 5-7 last year to 9-0 and produced the Sun Belt’s top offense in yards per play (6.74), relying on a very creative scheme. The 43-year-old played college ball at East Tennessee State and spent four years coaching there. He’s a viable option for Vanderbilt and South Carolina too, even though he’s never coached at the Power 5 level.

13. Will Healy, Charlotte

The 35-year-old Chattanooga native did amazing work at Austin Peay. He parlayed that into the Charlotte job, where he’s 9-9 in two seasons at a place that had won just 12 games in the previous four seasons. He figures to be a strong candidate in the Vanderbilt search.

14. Tony Elliott, Clemson offensive coordinator

He’d be higher on this list if there were more tempting potential vacancies. A former Broyles Award winner, Elliott also has been choosey. People with knowledge of the matter say he declined interest in the South Carolina vacancy. He is on a lot of schools’ want lists, but this might not be the ideal cycle for him given the possible vacancies that may pop open.

15. Rhett Lashlee, Miami offensive coordinator

There’s actually not a lot of inventory on “hot” offensive guys because so many others have landed head coaching jobs. The 37-year-old has done a very good job at Miami, turning around what was a dreadful offense. Lashlee has grown a lot from his time at Auburn on Gus Malzahn’s staff. He’ll likely merit a closer look from South Carolina, Utah State and Vanderbilt.

16. Lance Leipold, Buffalo

Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Utah State at least need to kick the tires here. He won six Division III national titles at Wisconsin-Whitewater. He left for Buffalo, one of the hardest places to win in college football, and he has kept winning. The Bulls are 23-9 the past thee years, and he keeps finding and developing talent like RB Jaret Patterson.

17. Jay Norvell, Nevada

The former Iowa Hawkeyes player has done a good job with the Wolf Pack, who have very limited resources in the Mountain West. He’s 20-12 the past three years. The 57-year-old could be an option at South Carolina and perhaps at Utah State, where he knows the league well and would have better resources.

18. Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech

A proven program builder, Holtz has quietly done a nice job at Louisiana Tech and is 60-39 there, including 14-6 in the past two years. Could the 56-year-old get in at South Carolina? It feels like that might be a reach. His dad coached there and had some good seasons, but the program went on probation in his wake. Holtz also might be a fit for a Utah State program in a need of a rebuild after Gary Anderson’s brief second tenure.

19. Sean Lewis, Kent State

The former Syracuse assistant has done a remarkable job at one of the toughest FBS jobs in the country. A 34-year-old former Wisconsin player, Lewis has the Golden Flashes 3-1 and led them to their first bowl win last season after going 2-10 the previous year. He’s probably a longshot for South Carolina but could be in play if Illinois opens.

20. Jeff Monken, Army

No question, what the 53-year-old Illinois native has done with Army football is impressive, going 33-15 the past four years. (The Black Knights had one winning season in the 17 years before he arrived.)  Monken is a candidate for South Carolina given his connection to school president Robert Caslen, who came from West Point. He also could be in play for the Vanderbilt opening and perhaps for Illinois if that were to come open.

I stopped reading after #1.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Chip Brown "update" might be significant in one respect, if true.

It is an indication perhaps that CDC is not going to let himself be run over roughshod by BMD.  That has been a recurrent theme in coaching hires since DKR hung it up.  It is one of the primary reasons we're in the fix we're in.

School administration has also had some bad hires, including Mackovic and Strong. 

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

By: Team Effort

URBAN DEVELOPMENT

RECRUITING MATTERS

Information on the recruiting front is slim right now following the Iowa State loss. Simply put, there are more questions by prospects than answers from the Texas staff.

One of the key reasons Tom Herman is looking for a vote of confidence from athletic director Chris Del Conte is for recruiting purposes -- to relieve the pressure on Herman and his staff.

The staff did take part in a few Zoom calls with 2021 prospects over the weekend, including Duncanville offensive tackle Savion Byrd. Tom Herman was not on the Zoom call with Byrd from what IT was told. SMU continues to be trending over Oklahoma, Auburn and Texas here with a commitment date set for December 16. While Texas has been working from far behind for a while now, Byrd has never cut off the communication and has always had interest. Something to tuck away.

Receivers coach Andre Coleman has been very active on the recruiting trail in the last week. Keithron Lee and J.J. Henry have been zeroed in on as two key targets. Coleman continues to relationship build with Lee, and strengthen his relationships with Henry's circle.

If Urban is named coach this week, all the concerns about recruiting are gone.   In fact if anything the prospects of a better class becomes a real possibility.....  almost baked into the cake.  If I'm CDC and Tom throws this at me as a desperate attempt, I look at as weak sauce.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Gerry- Urban loves Coleman Hutzler ... that comes from someone that would 100% know. Look at Hutzler's coaching history.

Yeah, if Urban comes here, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire defensive staff is kept intact. Maybe he makes one change because there's a defensive assistant he really wants to add. Ash has done an incredible job coaching up this defense, and I fully believe he would've had this unit looking good from the start if he were given a full offseason. Can you imagine how good our defense would have looked if our offense dint' go entire quarters where it can't move the ball at all?

Hutzler is a stud. Everyone who's worked with him raves about him, and he's shown he can recruit as well. The play of Overshown, and even Mitchell to an extent, is night and day.  

I think Yurcich is gone if we hire Urban, though. Urban will want his son in law at QB coach and Yurcich just hasn't' shown enough, fair or not.  There's too many good offensive minds out there who'd jump at the chance to be OC at Texas under Urban to justify keeping Yurcich. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, if Urban comes here, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire defensive staff is kept intact. Maybe he makes one change because there's a defensive assistant he really wants to add. Ash has done an incredible job coaching up this defense, and I fully believe he would've had this unit looking good from the start if he were given a full offseason. Can you imagine how good our defense would have looked if our offense dint' go entire quarters where it can't move the ball at all?
Hutzler is a stud. Everyone who's worked with him raves about him, and he's shown he can recruit as well. The play of Overshown, and even Mitchell to an extent, is night and day.  
I think Yurcich is gone if we hire Urban, though. Urban will want his son in law at QB coach and Yurcich just hasn't' shown enough, fair or not.  There's too many good offensive minds out there who'd jump at the chance to be OC at Texas under Urban to justify keeping Yurcich. 
If it's true he has $10m/year for assistants, I doubt much of our offensive staff remains.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agreed. Joyner is almost a guarantee to be on the staff replacing Hagen or maybe Giles. The offensive staff however will be gutted, save for maybe Drayton

Nope. Almost all coaching hires are more or less crapshoots, besides someone like Urban of course. Once you know your current coach isn’t the guy, you should move on to the next. There’s no sense in keeping a guy that isn’t the answer. Plus, recruiting has been in the tank for a while. Between that and transfers, we’d be committing roster suicide if we kept him. So no, there isn’t any logic that supports keeping Herman. 
Absolutely not. Herman may not be "the guy," but you don't replace him with another Charlie Strong, who would be a weight around your neck for the next 3-4 years and would cost tens of millions of dollars that we need to hire the RIGHT guy. We've fucked this up for long enough. Get the money, find the right guy (Urban), and hire him.

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If it's true he has $10m/year for assistants, I doubt much of our offensive staff remains.

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Agreed. Joyner is almost a guarantee to be on the staff replacing Hagen or maybe Giles. The offensive staff however will be gutted, save for maybe Drayton

Yeah, I don't see anyone on offense staying besides maybe Drayton and that would be a mistake. I'd be all for one or two guys on defense getting axed in order to bring in some nationally elite position coaches. Hagen and Giles seem most likely. I get the impression Ash will insist on keeping Valai, but maybe not. Valai was recruiting well, but I'd prefer to see a better CB coach in there. With Meyer at the helm, we won't need to rely on individually great recruiters at position coach spots nearly as much. 

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FCB.

image.thumb.png.a3b46b2d5a39ae130dc910dfe2b1c12c.png

I've seen a few different posts mentioning that Meyer's contract has him working through 12/19 as if it has any significance at all on when he'd start at Texas. Just hilarious. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FCB.

image.thumb.png.a3b46b2d5a39ae130dc910dfe2b1c12c.png

I have no idea why anyone thinks that some part-time, in-between gig on the Fox desk would keep him from taking a new job sooner than Dec 19th. 

Does he have a buyout with that contract? What's the most it could be with 2 weeks left? $100k? I seriously doubt it would take much more than Urban calling his boss and saying "hey I quit so, find someone else on Saturday I guess"

People are acting like he's the sitting secretary of state or a chancellor at some big-name university or some shit.

@Burt Macklin you just barely beat me to it 😁 guess we had the same breaking point over that nonsense.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

yesterday someone posted pics of his daugter working at an austin strip club in this thread or the other urban thread i dont feel like going back to find it can someone link or quote if for a woo plz she was lit 

That was a pic of the poster's kid's former babysitter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

TFB being a downer per usual

Spoiler

I wanted to recap our past month’s notes on the Urban Meyer possibility.

***Back on October 19th (here) we noted that some back channel communication between Texas and Urban Meyer’s camp had begun. Specifically said…

I know there has been a lot of twitter talk about the desire by some Texas fans to see Texas hire Urban Meyer.

Of course much of this is premature. Herman still has a path to redemption – make it to the Big 12 championship and win.

But I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.

***The very next day on October 20th (here) we added the following…

However, another piece of second hand info I received is that there is already a behind the scenes number being floated from the Urban camp. That number I’ve heard is in the 10 million dollar range.

***I’ll skip ahead to our November 2nd update (here) where we confirmed the above number and added a note regarding Urban speaking to former staff members about the possibility of coming with him to Texas.

Received additional confirmation that Meyer’s number is in the 10 million dollar range.

Was also told that while not necessary specific to Texas, Meyer has been reaching out to some former assistants to gauge their interest in joining him if he did take another job.

One source told me that  Kerry Coombs, known for his DB development, would not likely join Urban. I personally think that’s a pretty big blow.

I asked the source how likely it would be that Urban would take the Texas job, if offered. Was told, “I know he’s considering it but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. Money talks though, of course”.

***By November 6th (here) we were getting some mixed signals regarding the likelihood of Urban’s interest but it was definitely the first time we were hearing people say he wasn’t likely to take the job.

***On Saturday, as we noted (here), much of what we were hearing is that things were less and less likely to happen with Urban Meyer.

***Yesterday, I was told that Herman had requested a meeting with CDC. But it sounds like this meeting may have been more about recruiting support. However, I imagine that’s his way of feeling things out.

***Was also told that the offer to Urban had gone up to 12 million per year for 5 years. Was not able to get a second confirmation on this one (the above information is also from at least two sources).

***I would say my most optimistic source currently is saying the chances of landing Urban are at around 40%. A couple others I have spoken to would put that number lower.

***Was told that if you see something happen very quickly regarding Tom and Texas, then “you know you got Urban”. If not, then they are still deciding whether there is a strong enough second candidate to make the move. I have heard there is a second candidate being vetted but I am unsure who that is. Again, the issue is if you don’t land Urban, can you build clear consensus for someone else when you consider other factors?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I would say my most optimistic source currently is saying the chances of landing Urban are at around 40%. A couple others I have spoken to would put that number lower.

Does he think anyone is believing this shit? Lower than 40%? We would have a no already if that was the case. Urban's not going to waste his time milking us in negotiations if he's not seriously considering it.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I've seen a few different posts mentioning that Meyer's contract has him working through 12/19 as if it has any significance at all on when he'd start at Texas. Just hilarious. 

Yep.

Here's how the conversation goes.

Urban: "I'm leaving to become a coach again."

TV Exec: "OK."

Urban: "Bye."

TV Exec: "Later. Good luck."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Well it's an absolutely terrible idea. If only because he will insist on giving his dumbfuck brother a job. 

Can he give Lincoln Riley's dumbfuck brother a job please?

Edited by ztejas

I’m all for the Urban hire if we can swing it, but I just wanted to point something out.  There are a lot of mentions of him winning 3 titles, which is true.  I strongly believe that would be 2 titles if we hadn’t been fucked by the big 12 tiebreaker in 2008.  

Ok, carry on, let’s get Urban in here now!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think he’d go find a DL coach and another secondary coach to pair with Ash. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic