Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, Horn Dogg said:

I’m all for the Urban hire if we can swing it, but I just wanted to point something out.  There are a lot of mentions of him winning 3 titles, which is true.  I strongly believe that would be 2 titles if we hadn’t been fucked by the big 12 tiebreaker in 2008.  

Ok, carry on, let’s get Urban in here now!

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB being a downer per usual

Hide contents

I wanted to recap our past month’s notes on the Urban Meyer possibility.

***Back on October 19th (here) we noted that some back channel communication between Texas and Urban Meyer’s camp had begun. Specifically said…

I know there has been a lot of twitter talk about the desire by some Texas fans to see Texas hire Urban Meyer.

Of course much of this is premature. Herman still has a path to redemption – make it to the Big 12 championship and win.

But I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.

***The very next day on October 20th (here) we added the following…

However, another piece of second hand info I received is that there is already a behind the scenes number being floated from the Urban camp. That number I’ve heard is in the 10 million dollar range.

***I’ll skip ahead to our November 2nd update (here) where we confirmed the above number and added a note regarding Urban speaking to former staff members about the possibility of coming with him to Texas.

Received additional confirmation that Meyer’s number is in the 10 million dollar range.

Was also told that while not necessary specific to Texas, Meyer has been reaching out to some former assistants to gauge their interest in joining him if he did take another job.

One source told me that  Kerry Coombs, known for his DB development, would not likely join Urban. I personally think that’s a pretty big blow.

I asked the source how likely it would be that Urban would take the Texas job, if offered. Was told, “I know he’s considering it but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. Money talks though, of course”.

***By November 6th (here) we were getting some mixed signals regarding the likelihood of Urban’s interest but it was definitely the first time we were hearing people say he wasn’t likely to take the job.

***On Saturday, as we noted (here), much of what we were hearing is that things were less and less likely to happen with Urban Meyer.

***Yesterday, I was told that Herman had requested a meeting with CDC. But it sounds like this meeting may have been more about recruiting support. However, I imagine that’s his way of feeling things out.

***Was also told that the offer to Urban had gone up to 12 million per year for 5 years. Was not able to get a second confirmation on this one (the above information is also from at least two sources).

***I would say my most optimistic source currently is saying the chances of landing Urban are at around 40%. A couple others I have spoken to would put that number lower.

***Was told that if you see something happen very quickly regarding Tom and Texas, then “you know you got Urban”. If not, then they are still deciding whether there is a strong enough second candidate to make the move. I have heard there is a second candidate being vetted but I am unsure who that is. Again, the issue is if you don’t land Urban, can you build clear consensus for someone else when you consider other factors?

preview.jpg

1) Ohio State fans and worse media are pretty funny about this. "LOLZ Texas thinks they can get Meyer, there's no way, he doesn't want to coach again and he has health concerns that will keep him from ever coaching. Plus he'd never want to go to UT/Austin and he doesn't want to coach in the era of the transfer portal and name/likeness compensation.....

...but if he does LOLZ he'll get whipped by Ryan Day because he's old."

So we shouldn't go after him because of every reason you can think of, but even if he does it doesn't matter to Ohio State. Right. Whistling past the graveyard. 

2) I keep seeing people saying that he retired over health concerns. Not so. At least, not entirely. He also retired because he felt like the Ohio State administration threw him under the bus during the Zach Smith ordeal. There were a LOT of Ohio State people, ranging from internet dipshits to BMDs to people in the administration, that felt like Meyer's suspension was scapegoating him. Meyer felt that too. So this idea that it's just his poor broken brain that has him on the sideline-- nope. 

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m all for the Urban hire if we can swing it, but I just wanted to point something out.  There are a lot of mentions of him winning 3 titles, which is true.  I strongly believe that would be 2 titles if we hadn’t been fucked by the big 12 tiebreaker in 2008.  

Blake-Gideon.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Ironically, unfucking the parity, substandard officiating and illogical scheduling (round robin + CCG) of the B12 might be the most significant agenda a new coach should bring to the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Here's a private plane with trips yesterday from Columbus, OH --> Austin and, after a one-hour pit stop, from Austin --> Orlando, FL.

Registered owner is Columbus-based real estate firm Joseph Skilkin & Co., presumably for use largely by Steve Skilken, President of the company who was an All-American diver at tOSU (and appears to be a significant donor to athletics - see page 37). Would cut against the narrative that UT BSDs are flying Urban around, but perhaps the Skilken and Meyer families are close given through ties in the tOSU athletic department and Columbus area and UT is footing the bill for the charter. 

This is better investigative rumor work than OB, 24/7 or TFB.  Pay this man his $9.95!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I have no idea why anyone thinks that some part-time, in-between gig on the Fox desk would keep him from taking a new job sooner than Dec 19th. 

Does he have a buyout with that contract? What's the most it could be with 2 weeks left? $100k? I seriously doubt it would take much more than Urban calling his boss and saying "hey I quit so, find someone else on Saturday I guess"

People are acting like he's the sitting secretary of state or a chancellor at some big-name university or some shit.

@Burt Macklin you just barely beat me to it 😁 guess we had the same breaking point over that nonsense.

People = Fuck Chip Brown and that is it.

FCB already has an agenda here and it probably due to getting shutout on some info after feeling he did CDC a favor by publishing the Eyes of Texas info for CDC.

16 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1) Ohio State fans and worse media are pretty funny about this. "LOLZ Texas thinks they can get Meyer, there's no way, he doesn't want to coach again and he has health concerns that will keep him from ever coaching. Plus he'd never want to go to UT/Austin and he doesn't want to coach in the era of the transfer portal and name/likeness compensation.....

So we shouldn't go after him because of every reason you can think of, but even if he does it doesn't matter to Ohio State. Right. Whistling past the graveyard. 

2) I keep seeing people saying that he retired over health concerns. Not so. At least, not entirely. He also retired because he felt like the Ohio State administration threw him under the bus during the Zach Smith ordeal. There were a LOT of Ohio State people, ranging from internet dipshits to BMDs to people in the administration, that felt like Meyer's suspension was scapegoating him. Meyer felt that too. So this idea that it's just his poor broken brain that has him on the sideline-- nope. 

To be fair, I have never lived there, but as an outsider I will never understand the high regard in which Ohioans hold their state.  I've been to Cleveland and Cincinnati and just don't see the appeal.  It's gotta be like bottom 5 states in the country for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Here's a private plane with trips yesterday from Columbus, OH --> Austin and, after a one-hour pit stop, from Austin --> Orlando, FL.

Registered owner is Columbus-based real estate firm Joseph Skilkin & Co., presumably for use largely by Steve Skilken, President of the company who was an All-American diver at tOSU (and appears to be a significant donor to athletics - see page 37). Would cut against the narrative that UT BSDs are flying Urban around, but perhaps the Skilken and Meyer families are close given through ties in the tOSU athletic department and Columbus area and UT is footing the bill for the charter. 

Seeing now that this plane made another same-day trip from Columbus --> Austin --> Columbus a week prior (11/18). 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Seeing now that this plane made another same-day trip from Columbus --> Austin --> Columbus a week prior (11/18). 

Urban is in good standing with a lot of people at Ohio St and I believe still collects a paycheck from them. I wouldn’t be surprised if their big money guys still let him use their aircraft to fly privately as part of his agreement. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Urban is in good standing with a lot of people at Ohio St and I believe still collects a paycheck from them. I wouldn’t be surprised if their big money guys still let him use their aircraft to fly privately as part of his agreement. 

Where does Urban’s agent live?  Could be him working out the negotiations and then to Florida to meet Urban. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

To get a gig coaching at another school?  Doubt it.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So if he is still having to use donor aircraft Texas can now say fuck using someone else's have your own. We all know that Urban is what Texas needs but that is a lot of not my money that is about to be spent. Why is it that even though it is not my money it feels a little overpriced when we know winning pays for itself.

Yeah but if he needs to come to austin (which he doesn’t right now) a plane will be supplied for him.

He’s not saying “ok, let me call for my plane and I’ll let you know when it’s available”.

If he’s flying back and forth to LA then yeah, you probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

From Sportsline.

Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Who will be the Texas football coach to open the 2021 season?

• Tom Herman +100
  • Current NCAA coach/assistant +250
  • Urban Meyer +500
  • Current NFL coach/assistant +900

explain this to me like im 5 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Shiiiiiiit, the opportunity to get whipped by Day in a playoff game is 5000x better than getting whipped by TCU in a regular game. Is there one true Longhorn fan who would turn that down? I mean besides Randolph and that boot chick.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

explain this to me like im 5 

Their odds makers give Herman staying a 50% chance and Urban to Texas a 20% chance. 

I'm not sure if those bets are actually posted anywhere - neither of my books does anything close to head coaching futures.

I would hesitantly say it's a good sign that oddsmakers are coming out with actual numbers for the scenario that aren't super far-fetched.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:
  • Tom Herman 1-1
  • Current NCAA coach/assistant 2.5-1
  • Urban Meyer 5-1
  • Current NFL coach/assistant 9-1

still dont understand break it down even more plz

ive never gotten into sports betting because this + - numbers  ish is wack just let me pick a straight winner idgaf about a number

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, hornfromdallas said:

ive never gotten into sports betting because this + - numbers  ish is wack just let me pick a straight winner idgaf about a number

It's based on a bet of $100. If you bet $100 on Herman and he is, you get $200 (your initial bet plus $100). Meyer would be $600 ($500 winnings plus initial $100 bet)

• Hook 'Em 1

I got accepted to UT within a month or 2 of the VY national championship, was there during the Colt years and moved from Austin the summer of 2010. Just accepted a job in Austin and am moving back at the end of the year. I really just wanted to say "you're welcome", and I'm sorry for the last decade.

Sorry bro. I got a cat in 2002. He died in spring 2010 along with Texas Football. I should dig him up.

10 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

If you bet 100.00 on Herm you'll win 100.00  You have to bet 500.00 on Urban  to win 100.

ABOVE IS WRONG.  Bet 100 to win 500 on Urban, meaning he's 5 to 1.  I think that means he's in play though

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

jim halpert no GIF

50% = virtual lock in my book. It makes more sense when you think about how all this frenzy started with Urban’s wife ambiguously replying to random tweets. There’s nothing of any substance. Futureman’s anus has hope yet. 

I won’t go as far as saying I’ll fist myself if Meyer is hired but the safe bet (literally) is on Herman returning. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic