2020 Rain Thread

Hate

If it weren't for this stupid wuhan virus, I would be camping about 40 miles north of that storm.  I'd rather be camping than have the world be dealing with the coronas, but I'm glad that I'm not camping this weekend.  I think may more like that could pop up tonight.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

If it weren't for this stupid wuhan virus, I would be camping about 40 miles north of that storm.  I'd rather be camping than have the world be dealing with the coronas, but I'm glad that I'm not camping this weekend.  I think may more like that could pop up tonight.

I think that's the main concern. The NWS put up the current tornado watch, and any time they use words like "numerous", "widespread", or "area-wide", I tend to assume the worst. 

I'm around, but I'll probably turn in because I know I'll probably get woken up later this morning.

One slight hope is that the severe factors are a little higher south of us (we're on the northern end of the tornado watch) and I think that we'll see a line instead of rotating cells by the time it gets near us. But there could still be 70 mile an hour winds which will do damage.

That Del Rio storm will stay south, watch out San Antonio. As for us, look for formation of a few cells and then a line between now and about 3 in the Western Hill country.

And cross your fingers that the storms limit damage to very small areas. I'll be back later this morning, if I can't sleep. Which I usually can't.

2 hours ago, boknowstecmo said:

I think that's the main concern. The NWS put up the current tornado watch, and any time they use words like "numerous", "widespread", or "area-wide", I tend to assume the worst. 

And when they put up their tornado watch, KXAN has to tell us to use basements or interior closets in case of tornado.   Fucking basements.   

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I hate thunderstorms.  

Seems to have softened a bit over Hewitt 

Yep. Finally calmed down, but we haven’t had lightning like that in a while and damn was the rain heavy.  Some small hail, no bigger than a dime, but it was raining so damn hard it was melting faster than you could see it. 

I hope my veggies aren’t ruined. 

Edited by Trey3216

My wife woke me up and if the tornado doesn't kill us, I might. I kid, I kid. I am regretting getting into my stash of whisky last night. Now I am stuffing plastic eggs and in 20 min, evidently getting hit by a tornado.

My head hurts, my feet stink and I dont love.....tornados.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like pretty good indication of a tornado about to hit Cedar Park.

Either KXAN is getting much more specific in terms of who receives warnings or they're asleep at the switch, because I've gotten nada pushed to my phone.  I just happened to wake up to piss about 15 minutes ago and noticed a text box about the warning.  We're in central west Austin, so not in the warning path, but I swear, there are times when my phone goes apeshit for a random bit of drizzle.

I managed to stay asleep almost all night.  Mostly because the line didn't develop down into central/southern TravCo; but I did manage to wake up about 5:45, which was surprising, because I expected to be "thunderwoke" about 4 or so.  Then I find that the end of the storm line is 10 miles north of me, and no development southward?  Weird (although officially, the area was 60% forecast, which is about what happened).    Not unusual for Austin to be at the southern end of a storm line, but kinda unusual in this case, given where the energy was coming from.  Whatever, I'm happy widdit.  5 minute downpour here and all is gone.  Did not want any part of that bad storm from Lago north almost into Dallas.  Nasty line, and textbook southern end of that nasty line had confirmed tornadoes (maybe 2 at once for a bit).

Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar, well, he eats you.   I'll take eatin' the bar all day.

Now the weather continues to be a bit weird.  Despite the "cold front" passing us, it's going to be a warm day today, as this front is slow to bring in the cool air.  But it will around dinner time and we have 5 days of autumn in Austin to follow.  Very nice for April.

See ya when the next calamity arises!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Tornado warning in Waco this AM. Thunder and lightning high winds with drowning rain.

My wife was awake for about 7 seconds

If someone ever breaks in my house I'm gonna be on my own

My oak seedings survived so I'm happy

Didn’t kill my garden, I’m happy.  And it’s absolutely beautiful out right now, other than still warm and muggy.  

14 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

One of the tornadoes has the "large and extremely dangerous" designation. That ain't good.

Yep.  Watching Brett Adair's feed on livestormchasing.com.  He has the local police scanner going.  A Coca Cola plant and airport hangar has just been destroyed somewhere in W. Mississippi.