Jump to content
RPM

Young Sheldon

Recommended Posts

For the record, I can't stand Jim Parsons, his character Sheldon on The Big Band Theory or TBBT altogether. HOWEVER... The spinoff prequil is brilliant. I avoided it because of the previously noted hate, but caught an episode a few weeks ago because I saw Annie Potts in the promo. It was greatness. This led me to dive into the rabbit hole and watch in sequence from the pilot. The writing is just fucking brilliant and the casting is perfect. Not sure I've laughed that hard at a network comedy in 10 years. Don't know how many episodes they can shoot before puberty kicks in but they need to get as much in the can as possible.

91y1ediJn8L._SY445_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of either show, but have watched some. The kid version seems nothing like the adult version of the same character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nothing like the source material. The spin they put on it was brilliant. I'm not a Chuck Lorre fan, but he hit it out of the park with this one. The only problem it has a limited lifespan. The lead isn't going to stay prepubescent for long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RPM said:

The lead isn't going to stay prepubescent for long.

Ok, Sandusky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RPM said:

 I'm not a Chuck Lorre fan, but he hit it out of the park with this one. 

Not sure why I'm even in this thread, cuz I don't watch either, but Lorre did the Kominsky Project on Netflix and that is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

I think I’d still do Annie Potts

I know I wood plow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

I think I’d still do Annie Potts

Yes, hell I’d jump on it after you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RPM said:

For the record, I can't stand Jim Parsons, his character Sheldon on The Big Band Theory or TBBT altogether. HOWEVER... The spinoff prequil is brilliant. I avoided it because of the previously noted hate, but caught an episode a few weeks ago because I saw Annie Potts in the promo. It was greatness. This led me to dive into the rabbit hole and watch in sequence from the pilot. The writing is just fucking brilliant and the casting is perfect. Not sure I've laughed that hard at a network comedy in 10 years. Don't know how many episodes they can shoot before puberty kicks in but they need to get as much in the can as possible.

91y1ediJn8L._SY445_.jpg

I couldn't disagree more. The only thing good about the Sheldon Cooper character is Jim Parsons' portrayal of him. Without him, and Kaley Cuoco being a smoke show, The Big Bang Theory never would've survived to a second season. I don't see what you're seeing because that kid doesn't impress me and I think the show is unwatchable. I can't even begin to comprehend not liking TBBT but thinking Young Sheldon is brilliant. And no, you can't top casting Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon's mom. 

You realize Young Sheldon was Parsons' idea, right? Hey, we've already written a bunch of Sheldon's backstory for TBBT so let's mine that for another series! Ugh. Well, apparently it's paying off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't see what you're seeing because that kid doesn't impress me and I think the show is unwatchable. I can't even begin to comprehend not liking TBBT but thinking Young Sheldon is brilliant. And no, you can't top casting Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon's mom. 

You don't like the kid and think the show is unwatchable. That's the impression I have of Parsons and TBBT. I'm viewing YS as a stand alone and it's brilliant. Kind of reminds me of Stewie in Family Guy. It makes me laugh. Laurie Metcalf is perfect as Mom. The entire cast is perfect. If Parsons is the person behind the show, then good for him. I still don't like him or Sheldon on TBBT. They need to shoot all they can before the kid grows up.

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RPM said:

You don't like the kid and think the show is unwatchable. That's the impression I have of Parsons and TBBT. I'm viewing YS as a stand alone and it's brilliant. Kind of reminds me of Stewie in Family Guy. It makes me laugh. Laurie Metcalf is perfect as Mom. The entire cast is perfect. If Parsons is the person behind the show, then good for him. I still don't like him or Sheldon on TBBT. They need to shoot all they can before the kid grows up.

What don't you like about Jim Parsons, the person or the character in TBBT? If you don't like the character in TBBT, but like the character on YS, wouldn't that be a failure on the part of the producers of YS to credibly present a younger version of Sheldon? If it wasn't for Parsons' Sheldon, this series wouldn't even exist. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like Parsons as an actor. He may be excellent, but I've hated all his characters. (See: Hidden Figures(there's not much more to see)) He's another David Schwimmer.

YS is a different dynamic. A little kid far out of his element in East Texas with a hot Meemaw? Yes, please. 

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RPM said:

I don't like Parsons as an actor. He's another David Schwimmer 

I hope you're wrong about this.....Parson's gives indications that he's possibly a talented actor, plus, Sheldon Cooper was a funny character.

David Schwimmer played the biggest pussy/pansy/woe-is-me male character in sit-com history.....and I get the feeling he just basically played himself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, former alkie said:

I hope you're wrong about this.....Parson's gives indications that he's possibly a talented actor, plus, Sheldon Cooper was a funny character.

David Schwimmer played the biggest pussy/pansy/woe-is-me male character in sit-com history.....and I get the feeling he just basically played himself.  

Then he went on to play the biggest pussy/pansy/woe-is-me superior in the military.  Kept character 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It boggles the mind that, with all the excellent, high production value television available at our fingertips, there's still all an audience for hackneyed, laugh-track, turn-your-brain-off "comedies."

Maybe I'm overly-sensitive to this because my mother-in-law made us watch an episode of The Ranch, and I'm still recovering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RPM said:

I don't like Parsons as an actor. He may be excellent, but I've hated all his characters. (See: Hidden Figures(there's not much more to see)) He's another David Schwimmer.

YS is a different dynamic. A little kid far out of his element in East Texas with a hot Meemaw? Yes, please. 

I have no idea what kind of acting career Parsons is going to have. He's quirky so I wouldn't think it could be too broad. The only other time I've seen him was when he played a bit part in The Big Year. I didn't find him annoying at all. I've heard Parsons on The Dan Patrick Show a number of times and he seems like a perfectly decent fellow.

His interpretation of Sheldon Cooper made that show. I think it's weird to say you can't stand his character on TBBT but love it on YS. That must mean YS isn't credibly portraying a young Sheldon. Also, "can't stand" seems to be overly hostile. I don't like YS and don't care for the actor, but I'm merely indifferent. I wouldn't say I can't stand him. I just don't care. There seems to be an unusually disproportionate level of hate directed toward TBBT in this community and I've always found that curious. 

An overgrown kid out of his element in California who described growing up in East Texas as a "living hell" -- bad. A kid out of his element in East Texas -- good. Is that part of it? Some of the jokes on TBBT are made at the expense of Texas stereotypes. Is it safe to assume YS didn't incorporate that motif? 

And if you hated the Sheldon character, why did you ever tune into the prequel show in the first place? So many questions. It just seems so bizarre. If it's not the same character but a completely reimagined one, why even make it a spinoff from TBBT? Obviously to draw viewers. But people who hate TBBT? It's a head scratcher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Melissa Rauch>Kaley Cuoco when she had short hair

FYP

It's pretty damn close when both are at their hottest imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart kid main character with overacted and as stupid as rocks parents and family. Hilarious.

Ir’s the formula for every preteen Disney channel sitcom from the 2000’s.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 10:19 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I couldn't disagree more. The only thing good about the Sheldon Cooper character is Jim Parsons' portrayal of him. Without him, and Kaley Cuoco being a smoke show, The Big Bang Theory never would've survived to a second season. I don't see what you're seeing because that kid doesn't impress me and I think the show is unwatchable. I can't even begin to comprehend not liking TBBT but thinking Young Sheldon is brilliant. And no, you can't top casting Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon's mom. 

You realize Young Sheldon was Parsons' idea, right? Hey, we've already written a bunch of Sheldon's backstory for TBBT so let's mine that for another series! Ugh. Well, apparently it's paying off. 

What if you're both right and both shows suck like south Austin's mom on a bender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

What if you're both right and both shows suck like south Austin's mom on a bender

Well that would make all good, wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Melissa Rauch>Kaley Cuoco

Only if you're basing it strictly on bust size. Otherwise it's Kaley by a mile. 

I'm not crazy about the fact that Kaley got a boob job. I don't like the idea of women so young getting boob jobs. But Kaley got a really good boob job and, if she hadn't, I might never have heard of her. So I'll cut her some slack. 

And I've got no problem with the short hair.

celeb-nude-pictures.xyz-Kaley-Cuoco-Biki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never got the big deal about that chick. She's nice looking enough, for a regular every day chick that would be working at a 7-11 or something. They really make her up on the TV shows, but in interviews she usually looks kinda frumpy. She ain't all that. I guess she seems attainable to some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I have no idea what kind of acting career Parsons is going to have. He's quirky so I wouldn't think it could be too broad. The only other time I've seen him was when he played a bit part in The Big Year. I didn't find him annoying at all. I've heard Parsons on The Dan Patrick Show a number of times and he seems like a perfectly decent fellow.

His interpretation of Sheldon Cooper made that show. I think it's weird to say you can't stand his character on TBBT but love it on YS. That must mean YS isn't credibly portraying a young Sheldon. Also, "can't stand" seems to be overly hostile. I don't like YS and don't care for the actor, but I'm merely indifferent. I wouldn't say I can't stand him. I just don't care. There seems to be an unusually disproportionate level of hate directed toward TBBT in this community and I've always found that curious. 

An overgrown kid out of his element in California who described growing up in East Texas as a "living hell" -- bad. A kid out of his element in East Texas -- good. Is that part of it? Some of the jokes on TBBT are made at the expense of Texas stereotypes. Is it safe to assume YS didn't incorporate that motif? 

And if you hated the Sheldon character, why did you ever tune into the prequel show in the first place? So many questions. It just seems so bizarre. If it's not the same character but a completely reimagined one, why even make it a spinoff from TBBT? Obviously to draw viewers. But people who hate TBBT? It's a head scratcher. 

It's an absolutely god awful excuse for "comedy".  It's laugh track directed lowest common denominator designed to make people feel smarter because they sprinkle in a lot of scientific terms and insert the laugh right after.  "Look at me!  I get it!  I'm smart!".

It's all set up/punch line writing, which Chuck Lorre has made a career out of.  To many people, that simply isn't very fresh, funny, or entertaining.  Compare it to shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parks & Rec, or Letterkenny where the humor is derived from the dialogue, situations that develop, and personality/relationships developed between the characters over years of episodes.  Those are examples of great writing, and brilliant humor.  TBBT is just lukewarm dreck designed to appeal to as many people at once as possible.

It's Nickleback or McDonald's cheeseburgers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, Sheldon's mom in YS is played by Zoe Perry, Laurie Metcalf' s daughter.  

Yeah that was pretty brilliant. I think it's interesting that they make his dad a pretty sympathetic character after all the shit Sheldon threw at him on BBT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's an absolutely god awful excuse for "comedy".  It's laugh track directed lowest common denominator designed to make people feel smarter because they sprinkle in a lot of scientific terms and insert the laugh right after.  "Look at me!  I get it!  I'm smart!".

It's all set up/punch line writing, which Chuck Lorre has made a career out of.  To many people, that simply isn't very fresh, funny, or entertaining.  Compare it to shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parks & Rec, or Letterkenny where the humor is derived from the dialogue, situations that develop, and personality/relationships developed between the characters over years of episodes.  Those are examples of great writing, and brilliant humor.  TBBT is just lukewarm dreck designed to appeal to as many people at once as possible.

It's Nickleback or McDonald's cheeseburgers.

Ding ding.  If you've made a show in the last 15 years that has required the use of a laugh track, your show isn't funny.  Full stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ding ding.  If you've made a show in the last 15 years that has required the use of a laugh track, your show isn't funny.  Full stop.

This guy knows.  We've had 15 years of aggy football being played with laugh tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This guy knows.  We've had 15 years of aggy football being played with laugh tracks. 

Still up for debate if Yakety Sax is actually piped into the stadium, or just what everyone subconsciously hears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Still up for debate if Yakety Sax is actually piped into the stadium, or just what everyone subconsciously hears.

*insert 5 min laugh track at this joke* 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

*insert 5 min laugh track at this joke* 

Probably about 8 years too late, but the milkmen moving in with Johnny Manziel would have made the quintessential Chuck Lorre comedy.

"These guys are dorks and don't have any sex; he's a popular jock and addict who has all the sex. Do you get it? Isn't that funny?? Watch what happens when we put them in the same house and let the hijinks ensue!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Just to be clear, Sheldon's mom in YS is played by Zoe Perry, Laurie Metcalf' s daughter.  

Yeah that was pretty brilliant. I think it's interesting that they make his dad a pretty sympathetic character after all the shit Sheldon threw at him on BBT. 

 

her dad was great in Nash Bridges 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...