Jump to content
TexasMan

NFL to restructure playoff system as early as this year

Recommended Posts

In related news, the NFL has also announced that if the Cowboys win a playoff game, the league will immediately fold and sell off all assets on Craigslist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m assuming wild card weekend will have 3 games each day, and the rest of the weekends will be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I FUCKING HATE IT! Why do they have to mess with perfection?  Fuck you NFL owners and I assume Roger Goodell for proposing this bullshit.  Of course, I'll still watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should allow more teams in the playoffs. Everyone deserves a chance to be a playoff team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, these fucking participation ribbon playoff spots are bullshit.  Baseball is looking at expanding the playoffs too.  Horseshittery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, these fucking participation ribbon playoff spots are bullshit.  Baseball is looking at expanding the playoffs too.  Horseshittery.

Image result for money pink floyd gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

I thought it was perfect the way it was, so this makes perfect sense. 

same here.

There was some symmetry and "logic" behind the current system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I was hoping it was dropping the silly win your division, get a home playoff game and get ranked higher than a more worthy wildcard team from a tougher division with a better record than you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One bye is brutal. Wow. I feared that they would do the terrible play - in game model where #6 and #7 play for the right to get annihilated by the #3 with an extra week of rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

MLB--People aren't bitching about our playoff system enough.  We need to change that.

NFL--Hold my nachos

NHL- Errrrbody gets in! 
NCAAF — F errrbody. We’ll have a 4-team invitational. 

Edited by nnm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The owners know they're not going to get what they really want-a 17 game season-low they're nibbling at the edges .

The 17-game season will likely begin in 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

They should allow more teams in the playoffs. Everyone deserves a chance to be a playoff team. 

What do you think this is, the NBA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Welcome to the future of the college football playoff

Bullshit. Even if CFB went to a 16 team playoff, that’s a fraction of the teams making the playoff. This is nearly half of the NFL, which is about what the NBA does. Of course the NBA plays 82 games a year already (or whatever the fuck it is). 

CFB needs more teams in their playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, nnm said:

NHL- Errrrbody gets in! 
NCAAF — F errrbody. We’ll have a 4-team invitational. 

The NBA has a bigger percent of teams make the playoffs than the NHL, 16 out of 30 vs NHL's 16 out of 31 (32 next year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, n64ra said:

The NBA has a bigger percent of teams make the playoffs than the NHL, 16 out of 30 vs NHL's 16 out of 31 (32 next year).

I wonder what percentage of the population would be able to name even three current HNL teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I wonder what percentage of the population would be able to name even three current HNL teams?

NCAA FB > NHL > NFL >> NBA imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

 

CFB needs more teams in their playoffs. 

You mis-spelled four-team invitational. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it ain't broke don't fix it. How about eliminating several of the meaningless preseason games if they want to make a worthwhile change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, TexasMan said:

I’m assuming wild card weekend will have 3 games each day, and the rest of the weekends will be the same. 

Do you even Thursday night football bro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WBT said:

Do you even Thursday night football bro?

Speaking of which: why don't they try to introduce into the new CBA a 2nd open week (damn you Pallilo) during the season, and following one of those, the teams that were off should play their required Thursday night game. So you'd have 9 days off, game, 10 days off. And who cares that it'd extend the season into February another week? Seems like a no brainer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I wonder what percentage of the population would be able to name even three current HNL teams?

e907d884-c7e8-4ed7-8c30-9ec1540a5f20_tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I wonder what percentage of the population would be able to name even three current HNL teams?

Some people can’t even get the name of the league right, I’d wager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 7:01 PM, 'stache said:

Can everyone else play a post season “bowl” game? Then everyone’s a winner!

Instead of nfl bowl games just have everyone else play each other. If you win you’re done. Losers then play each other. All the way down so you only have one looser. Then we can proclaim them the winner. Everybody wins!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 2:46 AM, Chad said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it. How about eliminating several of the meaningless preseason games if they want to make a worthwhile change?

Why the fuck is this post being negged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh.

It might help Dallas make the playoffs a little more often, but it's hard to get too excited about adding another solidly mediocre team, at best,  to the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Why the fuck is this post being negged?

It's Junior Miller with his sock army.🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Can they get rid of the 2 weeks off between the conference champs and the Superbowl?  I seriously forgot about the Superbowl for several days.  Same with the college ccg.  

Shit annoys me every year. Cfb NCG being on a Monday night is pure fuckery as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, little discussed, bullet points on the current CBA proposal being voted on. 

 

-reduction of benefits to Players' and their families (ie the 2011 CBA called for player to receive $250k/yr in disability benefits will now be reduced to $48K/yr under proposed CBA)

 

Seems like a big deal, but it's never brought up in any discussion about the deal. 

Here the newly elected NFLPA president discusses some of the drawbacks, but never mentions the drastic reduction in disability benefits for retired players. 

 

As a layman I find this labor stuff fascinating. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Can they get rid of the 2 weeks off between the conference champs and the Superbowl?  I seriously forgot about the Superbowl for several days.  Same with the college ccg.  

This. It's fucking stupid. The last time there was no week break was in the 2001 season because 9/11 happened and it cancelled the games that following weekend. So it pushed everything back a week. It's right behind college football and their month break in between the conference championship games and then the semifinal games. Then another 2 week break between those and the championship game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Interesting, little discussed, bullet points on the current CBA proposal being voted on. 

 

-reduction of benefits to Players' and their families (ie the 2011 CBA called for player to receive $250k/yr in disability benefits will now be reduced to $48K/yr under proposed CBA)

 

Seems like a big deal, but it's never brought up in any discussion about the deal. 

Here the newly elected NFLPA president discusses some of the drawbacks, but never mentions the drastic reduction in disability benefits for retired players. 

 

As a layman I find this labor stuff fascinating. 

 

I find it interesting that the disability insurance would be a hang-up, as opposed to better overall income for the players.

It's a negotiation, hence, collective bargaining agreement.  You aren't winning every fucking front.  Do what the rest of us do and buy your own policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This. It's fucking stupid. The last time there was no week break was in the 2001 season because 9/11 happened and it cancelled the games that following weekend. So it pushed everything back a week. It's right behind college football and their month break in between the conference championship games and then the semifinal games. Then another 2 week break between those and the championship game.

Why is the week off before the Super Bowl stupid? Teams put in their game plans during that week because of all the BS they have to deal wth once they get there and what's wrong with a few extra days off before the Super Bowl? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 2 weeks before the Super Bowl. I want each team to be as healthy as possible going into the biggest game of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iceman said:

I find it interesting that the disability insurance would be a hang-up, as opposed to better overall income for the players.

It's a negotiation, hence, collective bargaining agreement.  You aren't winning every fucking front.  Do what the rest of us do and buy your own policy.

I hear you,  but I believe these negotiations affect what already retired players are receiving today, and they have no representation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...