Mrs Whiggins

Coronavirus--Activities for Children & Teens

Got two kids who are about 3 months from being done with junior high and starting high school.  They can occupy themselves, but I'm starting to wonder if we ought to get them back into some level of the three Rs next week (this was Spring Break).  Having a hard time navigating the homeschool options - most seem more geared to the younger crowd or the highly religious.  Particularly trying to find stuff for their classes that "build" to the next level, like Algebra I and foreign languages.

Anyone got a direction for me to look?

Thanks

Home Depot

Pallet of bricks

Kids Unload

Wait, no over there

Shit, no, back to the original spot

Repeat as necessary...

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Home Depot

Pallet of bricks

Kids Unload

Wait, no over there

Shit, no, back to the original spot

Repeat as necessary...

Ok walkin’ boss

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Got two kids who are about 3 months from being done with junior high and starting high school.  They can occupy themselves, but I'm starting to wonder if we ought to get them back into some level of the three Rs next week (this was Spring Break).  Having a hard time navigating the homeschool options - most seem more geared to the younger crowd or the highly religious.  Particularly trying to find stuff for their classes that "build" to the next level, like Algebra I and foreign languages.

Anyone got a direction for me to look?

Thanks

Did none of the things I listed upthread work?  They should all be secular, but since mine are a little younger I haven’t been exposed to those levels yet. 

for instance, search for Saxon algebra I Home school on amazon. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I have two kids under 5 and we’ve been doing a lot of arts and crafts the past few days. Now I understand why Mrs. Lippy was such a weirdo. 

happy adam sandler GIF by IFC

On 3/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Until some asshole decides to practice his stunt driving in his company’s empty parking garage. 

4 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I have two kids under 5 and we’ve been doing a lot of arts and crafts the past few days. Now I understand why Mrs. Lippy was such a weirdo. 

happy adam sandler GIF by IFC

Same boat. The 5 year old is about ready to explode, at this point. 2 year old is moody, but she's handling it better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

hmmm...username.

I prefer the Johannine expression.  Paul gets a little too radical ascetic in some instances for my taste.  

Edited by Anastasis

I prefer the Johannine expression.  Paul gets a little too radical ascetic in some instances for my taste.  

would’ve never guessed that an Orthodox adherent would prefer Johannine theology over the rankings of a lunatics who gave purpose to those heathens in the West and in Renaissance Europe.

;)

If any of you have high-schoolers who are taking AP tests this year, the College Board is going to begin hosting online trainings on Youtube starting next week and going through the end of April. There will be an e-mail about it out tomorrow.

I've been teaching my middle schooler house to dunk on a 7.5ft goal. 

Jump shot drills from the elbow. 

Running volleyball drills from her club team. 

Painting projects on canvas board. (Bob Ross videos)

Short chapter summaries on her favorite types of books. 

Most states (including Texas) have canceled their state assessments for students. However, the College Board is going through with AP tests in May. The tests will be taken online (students can do them at home), they're only going to be 45 minutes each, and will only cover content that most schools have covered up until March. There will be more details released on April 3rd, but that's the gist of it.

A sensible dose of perspective from a UK teacher/administrator of some sort on the difficulties of "home schooling" and especially while trying to simultaneously work from home. 

Need to click for the short thread to read the attached screencaps. 

My 3-year old has started playing on our VR system quite a bit recently. He is getting quite good at it. I'm actually thinking of getting a second kit to send to his friend so that they can play and socialize together occasionally.