College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Administrations know players are going to get sick with or without football. This is them washing their hands of responsibility because we live in a “blame the deepest pockets“ society. Now, let’s talk about the social fallout from all the young men with too much time on their hands and angry at the world...

Apply this logic to businesses and k-12 schools and we'll have everything 100% open in no time flat!

You're gonna get it anyway, come on in.

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Administrations know players are going to get sick with or without football. This is them washing their hands of responsibility because we live in a “blame the deepest pockets“ society. Now, let’s talk about the social fallout from all the young men with too much time on their hands and angry at the world...

Aren't they in college or did I miss something?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

What a bullshit strawman argument.

And you're right, I should be a free thinker like you. You've got it all figured out. Which is why people like you have our country leading the world in deaths - because we won't succumb to fear. 

She thinks we live in Belgium?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

We know a couple things. If the fall season is played or at least attempted then there will be some amount of Covid spread. The results might be nothing, severe long term issues, possible deaths, and lawsuits. Not having a season is filled with numerous unknowns. Some number of schools have athletic departments that will never recover and I don't mean just the little guys. The already declining attendance may accelerate at an alarming rate further causing damage too school financials. It's not pretty either way. I say start the season and be flexible. If the season has to be cancelled on September xx, then so be it but let's give it a chance.

We can’t go to Canada because the border is closed due to COVID. I can’t travel to TX from NYC because I would have to self-quarantine upon my return, which affects my ability to perform at my job. TX keeps churning out record highs for cases.

But, college football is somehow going forward this fall. Not only that, fans will be attending games.

Seems legit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:
2 great questions of the last decade.  What if colt didn’t get injured. What if sam played in. 2020   Fuck 

You act like he wouldn't be around for 21. I don't know why people keep saying this.

Take it for what it's worth, but I heard some talking head say that Sam could go as high as the second round. I have no idea if that's anywhere close to being true, but his projected draft position might affect his decision to play in 2021.

That opinion was probably based on him playing in 2020.

Edited by David Dennison

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

You don't even know how to use your talking point correctly. Here's a hint: 165,000 > 10,000

not sure why you're so smug here when it was obvious he was using the deaths per capita metric. these cloak room attitudes don't help the football board.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well, yeah. I'm not sure what that has to do with the SEC though.

We seev what real universities are doing, as that's mostly what the Big Ten and Pac 12 consist of.

ACC has some real universities as well, here they are telling the real universities its ova, while simultaneously telling the southern schools not to worry

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Look it’s Chicken Little.   Per capita would factor into any rational decision making process.  

I'm not arguing any decision-making basis. I'm only pointing out that you're an idiot that doesn't know the difference between total deaths and per capita death rates. Your previous post argued that there had been more deaths in Belgium than the United States. You were wrong, and it was because you're a fool. You can argue about anything else you'd like, but that doesn't change these facts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Look it’s Chicken Little.   Per capita would factor into any rational decision making process.  

Except Belgium isn't counting like everyone else.   They list suspected and confirmed cases as deaths and most come from care centers.   A lot of the deaths elsewhere, including the US, can show up as other side effects, like pneumonia, instead of confirmed.

However, none of this is CFB related so you can probably go find a better soapbox princess.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

not sure why you're so smug here when it was obvious he was using the deaths per capita metric. these cloak room attitudes don't help the football board.

I'm smug because he's an idiot and alluded to the wrong numbers. That has nothing to do with politics, whether or not you try to invoke a board rule just because the guy you agree with is a moron.

You're the one who brought the Cloak Room and politics into this conversation now. Perhaps you should be less of a hypocrite.

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I would not be disappointed if this mess ends with Texas as a member of the SEC.

I’d personally prefer the big 10. Fuck those mouth breathing trash in the sec

Edited by Fletch
Fuck the sec
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Texas and OU are not going to the SEC. If that were to happen, the Big 12 would announce everyone's playing immediately. If Texas and OU leave, they aren't coming back and the Big 12 knows that. Dammit, you people made me go realignment. Fuck you Covid. 

Fuck the Big 12. It's garbage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not arguing any decision-making basis. I'm only pointing out that you're an idiot that doesn't know the difference between total deaths and per capita death rates. Your previous post argued that there had been more deaths in Belgium than the United States. You were wrong, and it was because you're a fool. You can argue about anything else you'd like, but that doesn't change these facts.

Notice that reply you just received prior to your tears?   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Oh? It’s my fault, huh? Maybe if the governors and our “President”came out and said where masks at all times, wash and stay at home for a bit unless you absolutely have to. Oh wait! I did all those things by myself. And now it’s August and I’m fucking pissed cause morons like you, that fuckin piece of shit Johnny sack and  iconotard for just being the imbeciles y’all are. 

This is on y’all. The stupidity you spew all over the boards and I’m sure in real life too cost 160,000 deaths and climbing. Y’all have blood on yalls hands. Hope you dumb fucks are happy!  

I love how everything in life has to be somebodies fault.  Now, of course it isn't China's fucking fault for unleashing this awful virus on the world, but it is the fault of anyone who had skepticism about the seriousness of this disease.

Anyone that didn't think that this virus would exist for 18 to 24 months in some shape or form is an absolute fucking moron.  Had the entire population sown masks to their faces in February, we would still have college football at risk this fall.  Do you seriously think if we locked the whole country down in March, we would just go back to life as normal in time for college football to kick off?  Are you that stupid?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Veerbone said:

Notice that reply you just received prior to your tears?   

Is there a specific post you're trying to point out? And accusing me of crying is just one more thing that shows you're a fool. If you can't argue facts, try to make things emotional. But I completely understand that you're working with a limited tool set, so no offense taken.

Take it for what it's worth, but I heard some talking head say that Sam could go as high as the second round. I have no idea if that's anywhere close to being true, but his projected draft position might affect his decision to play in 2021.
That opinion was probably based on him playing in 2020.
That opinion definitely includes an assumption of a strong 2021 because he's a project right now.

But I'm mostly talking about the fact that he's never been shy about how much being the qb at Texas means to him.

This thread is moving fast, so in case this hasn't been up yet:

Big Ten says no vote has been held despite expectations league will cancel fall 2020 season

Though there are expectations that the Big Ten may cancel its fall 2020 college football season on Tuesday, the conference says it has not come to that decision at this time. Responding to multiple reports on Monday, a Big Ten spokesman said the league has yet to formally vote on the matter.

"No vote has been held by our presidents and chancellors," the spokesman said.

According to the Detroit Free Press and radio host Dan Patrick, the Big Ten has all but decided not to move forward with playing college sports of any kind this fall. Though Patrick reported on his show that the Big Ten held a vote with league presidents opting by a 12-2 margin to not play this fall (Nebraska and Iowa were reportedly the dissenters), a formal vote has not been substantiated at this time.

For weeks, it was believed that if any Power Five conference decided to punt first on playing college football in the fall, it would be the Big Ten. After all, this was the conference that announced over a month ago it was moving to a conference-only schedule for the fall.

The Big Ten became the first conference to make such an adjustment in a move that blindsided other prominent college football decision-makers. In short order, the other Power Five conferences ultimately made similar moves albeit with varied configurations and projected start dates.

Power Five commissioners met on Sunday to discuss the viability of playing the season amid the coronavirus pandemic. Sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd that the meeting was previously scheduled with the commissioners set to meet again Monday.

Two Power Five athletic directors deemed "inevitable" the cancellation of fall sports and the 2020 college football season in conversations with Dodd on Saturday.

Though cancellations have been taking place at all levels of college football, only recently did they affect the 130-team FBS. UConn was the first FBS team to call curtains on a fall 2020 season, while the MAC was the first FBS conference to call off playing fall sports. Old Dominion on Monday became the first individual member of an FBS conference to cancel its season.

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

"amateur"...  giphy.gif

Point taken.

That's the catch though. To actually have a football season the NCAA would have to admit they're employees and set up a bubble, testing protocols, online learning, etc.

Which isn't going to happen. So here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

Anyone that didn't think that this virus would exist for 18 to 24 months in some shape or form is an absolute fucking moron.  Had the entire population sown masks to their faces in February, we would still have college football at risk this fall.  Do you seriously think if we locked the whole country down in March, we would just go back to life as normal in time for college football to kick off?  Are you that stupid?

You and your logic

5S1.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is a pipe dream, but imagine if being the cultural outliers in the Big 10 makes Iowa and Nebraska reconsider conference affiliation?  They're the only Big 10 schools west of the Mississippi (save for like 3 buildings on Minnesota's campus).  Nebraska obviously should be in the Big 12, and Iowa fits completely.

If you could convince the SEC to swap WVU for Mizzou you could have this:

Big 12 North:

Iowa/Iowa State/KU/KSU/Nebraska/Mizzou

Big 12 South:

OU/OSU/UT/TTU/TCU/Baylor

All of a sudden you have returned college football to a place of regional cohesion, with pretty much every major conference being geographically contiguous.

George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas and OU are not going to the SEC. If that were to happen, the Big 12 would announce everyone's playing immediately. If Texas and OU leave, they aren't coming back and the Big 12 knows that. Dammit, you people made me go realignment. Fuck you Covid. 

It's just a first date.  We'll be right back.

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Point taken.

That's the catch though. To actually have a football season the NCAA would have to admit they're employees and set up a bubble, testing protocols, online learning, etc.

Which isn't going to happen. So here we are.

This is the actual issue. The only way to have a successful college football season would be to fully admit that athletes aren't regular students.

And the conferences and school presidents are worried what that would mean in the years to come now that the players are starting to figure out their collective power.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Is there a specific post you're trying to point out? And accusing me of crying is just one more thing that shows you're a fool. If you can't argue facts, try to make things emotional. But I completely understand that you're working with a limited tool set, so no offense taken.

I see a tool set purchase in your near future.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But if the ACC, SEC and B12 got together and added one more you'd get 40, which means:

spacer.png

Think of if MD, think of it!

Edited by Hurtlocker
spellz bad