College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

God you’re a dumbfuck. Maybe if the governor of Florida and the governor of Texas and trump(trying not to CR) did their fucking jobs, we’d have college football this fall. 

Fucking moron 

If you don’t want to CR things, you should’ve thrown in the governors of New York and California. Lot of dead old folks in nursing homes due to their decisions. There’s enough blame to go around for everybody.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If you don’t want to CR things, you should’ve thrown in the governors of New York and California. Lot of dead old folks in nursing homes due to their decisions. There’s enough blame to go around for everybody.

Agreed. I can’t take it a step further and mention a pandemic playbook but I won’t cause idiots like iconotard would’ve be able to comprehend it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Guess we'll just have to find some people to play against. Whatever happens college football won't ever look the same after this.

The people coming to say "I told you so" about no football need to realize how slowly this thing will take to die.  Far too many want football with far too little authority over them to say no.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to CR, but after 6 months or so, it's pretty clear we have wasted a year. All this energy should be directed at the larger societal issues that got us here in order to save the 2021 season and, you know, reduce illness and death. The only realistic time-frame I see is a major shutdown starting on January 30 and lasting about 6 weeks with a phased reopening based on the ability to test and trace at the numbers needed. If that's successful, I can see late spring practices and fall games. A lot of things would have to fall into place to get us to that point though and I am not optimistic. Sports are part of society and in a pandemic, will be determined by how well society deals with the contagion. It's been a awhile since we were 1-0.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, fellside said:

The people coming to say "I told you so" about no football need to realize how slowly this thing will take to die.  Far too many want football with far too little authority over them to say no.  

Things will get heated when a player, coach, or staff member dies.

Which will happen if they play.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Things will get heated when a player, coach, or staff member dies.

Which will happen if they play.

I'm not saying it won't and I'm not saying they should play.  I'm just saying I think there will be some version of college football until it becomes completely untenable.  It isn't there yet.

This is a pipe dream, but imagine if being the cultural outliers in the Big 10 makes Iowa and Nebraska reconsider conference affiliation?  They're the only Big 10 schools west of the Mississippi (save for like 3 buildings on Minnesota's campus).  Nebraska obviously should be in the Big 12, and Iowa fits completely.
If you could convince the SEC to swap WVU for Mizzou you could have this:
Big 12 North:
Iowa/Iowa State/KU/KSU/Nebraska/Mizzou
Big 12 South:
OU/OSU/UT/TTU/TCU/Baylor
All of a sudden you have returned college football to a place of regional cohesion, with pretty much every major conference being geographically contiguous.

This conference already has enough backwater mediocre at best programs

4 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The Dude abides....

If the Big 12 doesn’t play. It could lose OU, UT, WVU and OKST to the SEC.
2:56 PM · Aug 10, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Considering the special circumstances of the Wuhan Xi virus, would the Big XII be happy to let us all bring our media rights with us? What happens if the teams leave and the SEC subsequently cancels the season?

Edited by ouflak
  • Fuck You 1

Ohio State? Well so much for Nebraska winning the Big 12.

Look we are a few months away from a vaccine. I think it may not be the worst idea to just delay the season for a bit like what MLB did. It is just too bad the NCAA is too disfunctional to make a decision as a group.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hurtlocker said:

So Rick, did your sources say anything about their media rights and if the Big Ten would quietly let those go to? Or how they will deal with the potential, but entirely unknown, long-term complications of contracting the Wuhan Xi, even for those who are asymptomatic?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

I’d love to be in the room (Hamilton holla) when tv rights and revenue are discussed with regards to these mutant conferences. Couldn’t the big 10 say all osu home games are conference revenue and will be given to the conference and shared among the member institutions?

bowlesby is probably burr in the analogy.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d love to be in the room (Hamilton holla) when tv rights and revenue are discussed with regards to these mutant conferences. Couldn’t the big 10 say all osu home games are conference revenue and will be given to the conference and shared among the member institutions?

Which would theoretically still allow Ohio State to get a similar cut to what they've been making.

This could allow the Big 10 to take the stance "we aren't playing ball", let the member institutions that want to play go rogue, and still profit.  While washing their hands of the whole thing.

It's fucking genius.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How many of those Miami Marlin players died? How many Astros or Athletics are gonna die after yesterday's brawl? 

How many players and coaches and staff members already die every year from other causes like cancer and heart attacks and stroke and whatever else?

How is this any different except to teams that have 80+ year old coaches? Bill Snyder retired, after all. 

Big 10 coaches and ADs- Hey look, we just want to play. We'll play in the Big 12, if necessary.

Big 10 Commish- okay, you can go play there. But the conference will get all of your money and we'll give all the schools in the Big 10 a piece of your money even though they're sitting on their asses for a year. So you'll make next to nothing for a year of taking your kids to Covid hotspots to play in front of maybe 25K fans even though your (Ohio State, Penn State) governors already said you can't have fans. So have fun. Thanks for the money. 

• Hook 'Em 1