College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

14 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

An angle that many college football fans may not yet have considered.  The right to football may be protected by the first amendment.

https://babylonbee.com/news/college-football-fans-say-ban-on-sports-is-infringing-on-their-right-to-worship?utm_content=bufferfa94b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Sports as the new opiate of the masses

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Still can't believe Frost is that bad at corn after what he did in Orlando.  He had the worst coaching effect in FBS last year, -4 games!

Well his dad couldn't win the second smallest 11-man class in the state with Scott Frost at QB so maybe it runs in the family. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, CDAK said:

Can you folks that have a personal dislike for Icono take it to another thread to discuss trannies, tailored jerseys, Cougar High, etc.? It gets really tedious reading these takes in every thread in which he posts. It's starting to remind me of the gaggle of clingers that used to follow Rocko and Derka around posting the same dumb takes about pay stubs, Camaros, obesity, etc. 

To be fair, it was a Corvette (used that he was financing over 72 months).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

With all the movement here, not sure if this hit the feed or not:

Pac-12 rescue operation: Coronavirus loan program would bail out athletic departments if football is canceled

Excerpt:

According to a series of emails obtained by the Hotline through public records requests, the loan would provide a maximum of $83 million for each university at a rate of 3.75 percent over 10 years.

Each athletic department could decide whether it wanted to participate in the program.

If all 12 opted for the maximum amount, the total would be $996 million.

However, this stuck out:

One of the obstacles: Potential partners wanted assurances that the conference would hold together — meaning that each school would be required to pledge its media rights to the collective for decades to come.

Without the revenue from those media rights, the value of the conference would diminish.

“They played around with a third party … but decided against any deal,’’ a source said. “They asked everyone to throw in a grant of rights for 25 or 30 years, and USC and UCLA were not going to do it.

“Who would invest in the Pac-12 for that length of time if USC and UCLA were not going to do it?”

Okay, so can someone help explain this to me... Myocarditis can happen with any number of viral infections, not exclusively Covid-19. This is known and has never stopped things before. At the same time, we are testing for Covid-19 unlike any other virus ever. So if you contract C-19, can't we also then look for Myocarditis and determine if it is safe to resume playing or physical activity before sending someone out there? 

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Lol our governor has handled COVID so poorly that it has made our state on of the hottest spots for it. Only other governor to handle it worse would be Florida.

Counterpoint- we are just on a different timeline than everyone else. Essentially nothing was happening her for 3 months while the north East was getting decimated. Now it’s our turn in the barrel and it appears to have peaked. The pessimistic among us will say watch out for the second wave. We will see. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Okay, so can someone help explain this to me... Myocarditis can happen with any number of viral infections, not exclusively Covid-19. This is known and has never stopped things before. At the same time, we are testing for Covid-19 unlike any other virus ever. So if you contract C-19, can't we also then look for Myocarditis and determine if it is safe to resume playing or physical activity before sending someone out there? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Counterpoint- we are just on a different timeline than everyone else. Essentially nothing was happening her for 3 months while the north East was getting decimated. Now it’s our turn in the barrel and it appears to have peaked. The pessimistic among us will say watch out for the second wave. We will see. 

Counter counter-point, the spike didn’t occur until everything rapidly opened back up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

not saying anyone should play based on my skepticism, but I'll bet myocarditis is to COVID-19 what Magic Johnson was to the "heterosexual AIDS epidemic" of the 90s

Flesh that out a little if you don’t mind. I don’t understand what you are saying here. 

5 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Counter counter-point, the spike didn’t occur until everything rapidly opened back up.

Sure. But everything was open in March until it wasn’t and we didn’t get slammed like the NE corridor did. 
On some level you don’t understand human nature if you think that we will learn something by watching others. Tons of people need to touch the hot stove, at least once, to figure out that it will burn you. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Flesh that out a little if you don’t mind. I don’t understand what you are saying here. 

A statistical outlier that is used to make everyone think they it could happen to them.

This what Magic Johnson did to the heterosexual community for a few years

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But everything was open in March until it wasn’t and we didn’t get slammed like the NE corridor did. 
On some level you don’t understand human nature if you think that we will learn something by watching others. Tons of people need to touch the hot stove, at least once, to figure out that it will burn you. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

you can absolutely develop myocarditis from COVID, the same way heterosexuals absolutely could get AIDS when Magic Johnson got it. 

Magic Johnson, however, did not end up being the first of the predicted epidemic of heterosexual AIDS cases. 

So this sudden fear that all or many or even a statistically meaningful number of athletes will or are likely to be diagnosed with COVID-induced myocarditis.... I'm skeptical. I'm not saying anyone should play because I'm skeptical. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Dr. Matt,

* there are a lot of people smarter than you.  Agreed.

* alluded to in your esteemed paper I'm sure

Hmmm...it feels like a straw man. Myocarditis hasn't even been mentioned since the start of this pandemic until now. None of the other sports that are playing now have even talked about it. So why now, and why college football?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Hmmm...it feels like a straw man. Myocarditis hasn't even been mentioned since the start of this pandemic until now. None of the other sports that are playing now have even talked about it. So why now, and why college football?

I'm not the authority on conspiracy theories.  Have at it.  I'm just pointing out the Dr. is illiterate.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It's possible -- and hear me out on this one -- that scientists studying new diseases will learn things in the months following the discovery of the disease, and its impacts on growing numbers of patients.

It's a problem for college football because we've seen, in other sports including MLB, this problem occur in otherwise healthy athletes. So while the vast majority of kids who get COVID-19 will be fine, there are growing concerns about its effect on the heart and potentially other organs in the human body.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, SimkinsMan said:

It's possible -- and hear me out on this one -- that scientists studying new diseases will learn things in the months following the discovery of the disease, and its impacts on growing numbers of patients.

It's a problem for college football because we've seen, in other sports including MLB, this problem occur in otherwise healthy athletes. So while the vast majority of kids who get COVID-19 will be fine, there are growing concerns about its effect on the heart and potentially other organs in the human body.

I get all that. And --hear me out-- myocarditis is not novel. You don't need to be an arrogant asshole. The problem in MLB is that none of the players care about not getting sick. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

A statistical outlier that is used to make everyone think they it could happen to them.

This what Magic Johnson did to the heterosexual community for a few years

Magic Johnson was tearing up strange every night in every NBA city.  So, no, it probably couldn't have happened to me or any other normal heterosexual.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

August 1st, dumbass:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29579222/boston-red-sox-pitcher-eduardo-rodriguez-done-season-due-heart-issue

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Magic Johnson was tearing up strange every night in every NBA city.  So, no, it probably couldn't have happened to me or any other normal heterosexual.

That wasn't how it was portrayed at the time by the media, which was the point of the analogy. Not the medical aspects of disease transmission, etc. We just have a tendency to sensationalize worst-case scenarios. I don't think we're going to end up with thousands or even hundreds or even dozens of college football players who develop myocarditis just because it's possible to do so if you contract COVID. That's my personal opinion, it's not backed by science and it's neither a recommendation to players or an exhortation to "git out there and play!". 

Edited by SwanderedTalent