2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

42 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
51 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:
And Austin ISD is going 100% virtual tomorrow. 

Yep. Someone made a stupid call. Letter says if students don't have their devices, contact the principal to make arrangements. The point is to keep everyone off the roads. Plus, those buses will have to be out there running for some students WiFi.

A really foolish call, especially since they didn't send their devices home with them on the weekend.

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Been a great day.  Got up and started a fire.  Made some homemade biscuits & gravy for breakfast.  Got the daughter outside in the snow for a minute and took her on her first sledding run.   Made some chili and re-started the fire.  Just downright awesome.  

IMG_1561.MOV IMG_1564.MOV IMG_1566.mov

Yeah, it was a great day all around. 

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

How are the roads (Mopac, I35) this morning?  North to Temple?

Slow WAY the fuck down on any overpasses. I saw probably 15-20 wrecks between NW Austin and Georgetown, where people hit the overpass/bridge and slid into the wall. That stretch of Toll 1 from where it splits into E/W all the way over the top of 35 to get on NB 35 was not a lot of fun. I was probably going about 15 mph on that 3.5 miles.

Everywhere the road in on solid ground is perfectly fine.

Edited by Orange&White

12 hours ago, Orange&White said:

This was the biggest snow storm I’ve seen in Austin since I sledded down the 18th fairway on the Yaupon course in Lakeway back in January of 1985.

I weathered that storm with some friends in Westover Hills who had a sled, they'd moved here from the midwest and never got rid of it.  We did the streets and hills around Adirondack for hours, and then drank sh'loads of hot chocolate. It was amazing.

No sleds, but yesterday my kids and I hit the largest hills around us with skim boards and boogie boards, they worked okay.  The kids had a blast.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I weathered that storm with some friends in Westover Hills who had a sled, they'd moved here from the midwest and never got rid of it.  We did the streets and hills around Adirondack for hours, and then drank sh'loads of hot chocolate. It was amazing.

No sleds, but yesterday my kids and I hit the largest hills around us with skim boards and boogie boards, they worked okay.  The kids had a blast.

I took the GF's son to Murchison Middle School off of Far West yesterday and he and about 2000 of his closest friends were sledding the hills around the track for HOURS.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I took the GF's son to Murchison Middle School off of Far West yesterday and he and about 2000 of his closest friends were sledding the hills around the track for HOURS.

Yup we did that hill more than a few times during various snow/ice days in the 80s and 90s as well.   I didn't go to Murchison (got bussed across town to Martin) but I spent a ton of time in that neighborhood growing up, lived off Far West during college and afterwards, and my inlaws still live a couple blocks away in NW Hills.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had to go to the airport for a dropoff before dawn.  Took Mopac to Ben White all the way in.  There were a couple of wrecks on Ben White overpasses, but I think they were due to earlier ice patches that had melted by 7:00 or so.  Then, on the way home, turned onto the Spicewood Springs bridge over Mopac....and my car's ass end swung way wide as we hit an ice patch.  Easy recovery, but there were still ice patches out around 8:00, and they were sneaky as to where they would be.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had to go to the airport for a dropoff before dawn.  Took Mopac to Ben White all the way in.  There were a couple of wrecks on Ben White overpasses, but I think they were due to earlier ice patches that had melted by 7:00 or so.  Then, on the way home, turned onto the Spicewood Springs bridge over Mopac....and my car's ass end swung way wide as we hit an ice patch.  Easy recovery, but there were still ice patches out around 8:00, and they were sneaky as to where they would be.

Black Ice Matters

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup we did that hill more than a few times during various snow/ice days in the 80s and 90s as well.   I didn't go to Murchison (got bussed across town to Martin) but I spent a ton of time in that neighborhood growing up, lived off Far West during college and afterwards, and my inlaws still live a couple blocks away in NW Hills.

In the early 1960s before NW Hills was developed by David Barrow, I used to take my girlfriends parking above the north side bluff overlooking the abandoned quarry that was the future site of Murchison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

Man, makes me wish I lived in Iowa.

manchester united GIF

You mean an endless barrage of blizzards, wind, floods, drought, wind, smothering heat/humidity, wind, derechos, wind, sleet, ice, wind, tornadoes, wind, polar vortexes, and wind doesn't sound like paradise to you?

Sucker.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dodging this one besides wind and a little snow, have fun!

I think the folks between us are going to get buttfucked.  Places to the west and north (Okoboji, Rochester) of me are supposed to get up to 10"

Edited by Al_4_ISU

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You mean an endless barrage of blizzards, wind, floods, drought, wind, smothering heat/humidity, wind, derechos, wind, sleet, ice, wind, tornadoes, wind, polar vortexes, and wind doesn't sound like paradise to you?

Sucker.

But that fine, fine drinking water...

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Jin Spencer is stepping down. I will miss his tremendous foul weather boner. Dude worked hella hard during storms. Hand salute 

https://www.kxan.com/weather/kxan-announces-jim-spencers-semi-retirement-david-yeomans-as-next-weather-chief-in-march/

FA370592-F8C9-43E1-8BDE-CC5B7A2A42E1.jpeg

Jim Spencer is my reliable local go-to.

David Yoemans assumes the Chief Meteorologist job at KXAN. He seem like a good guy.

Edited by yoladu

On 1/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

"Is that Hell?"

"Nah...it's Iowa."  

11 hours ago, Mighty fine said:
11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Were you in Okoboji?

Early October in Iowa is my definition of perfect, but the 4th can be spectacular.

Fonda. Just looked at the map and realized not quite as far north as I was remembering. Was there for a family reunion with my wife family.

We used to drive up through that area on the way to Okoboji from Ames/Des Moines.  Very similar to where I'm from.