Texas opens as a pick em v Iowa State

TexasMan

I'm seeing everything from 20-60% chance of rain across myriad services.  But yeah, 75 degrees which means kick-off right around 70.  So obviously it'll favor Iowa State given the brutal elements of room temperature and mild precip with no call for high winds.  Plus the early kick-off time favors people from an agricultural upbringing.  

I think he grifted us and never understood this fanbase's fascination with Herman.  But I'm starting to think that mediocre coaching aside, I think he's also something of a li'l bitch.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm seeing everything from 20-60% chance of rain across myriad services.  But yeah, 75 degrees which means kick-off right around 70.  So obviously it'll favor Iowa State given the brutal elements of room temperature and mild precip with no call for high winds.  Plus the early kick-off time favors people from an agricultural upbringing.  

I think he grifted us and never understood this fanbase's fascination with Herman.  But I'm starting to think that mediocre coaching aside, I think he's also something of a li'l bitch.

I read that in frontier gibberish.. I laughed..

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

O/U 58.5

Interesting O/U 58.5... A bit higher than last four ISU/TEXAS games

ISU vs Texas Results for Matt Campbell

• 2016     Texas Won             27 - 6 
  • 2017      Texas Won.           17 - 7
  • 2018·    Texas Won             24 - 10
  • 2019      Iowa State Won     23 - 21

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Why does this series feel so evenly matched up as of late, even though we are 7-3 in the last 10 and 13-3 since the Big XII inception?  

Well, there was that one time we forced and recovered a fumble with about 30 seconds left in Ames (play was made by this guy) , which would have ended the game as an ISU victory, but the refs let you keep the ball and you scored on the next play to win by 1.

Then the year after that in Austin where we scored with like 30 seconds left to take a 1 point lead, but then let you go right up the field for a Nick Rose game winner.

If ISU holds on in those games, it's 5-5 over the last 10.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’ll win money. 

Nope. 

I think Horns win by 17-20. We are rested and healthy. Herman’s back is against the wall. We are going to fuck them up. And no we will not shit the bed versus KU but I could see a KSU letdown.

I think we’ll be 8-2 and in CCG where OU will skullfuck us and that should be the end of this little fantasy, at which point Herman should be fired. 

Campbell hasn't lost a regular season game by this much since his first year at ISU.

I think Texas wins, but I think we can (maybe even should) win.  You have better talent.  I think we have better coaches.  You're at home, and will have fans in the building.  I also think Herman understands the ISU psyche pretty well and his teams never really look past us, because he's been an integral part of many ISU upset wins (including one at DKR).  I have a hard time seeing Sam Ehlinger losing his last home game.  We're still Iowa State, and in the face of historic opportunity, we usually shit our pants.  In 2018, I had similar thoughts to what I feel now, and you guys dominated.  I think this team is different.  But we're still Iowa State.

You'll probably win, but it's going to be agonizingly close and completely gut wrenching.

A couple big differences between this year and '18:  Breece Hall will play the whole game.  Montgomery had been ejected from our previous game with Baylor after retaliating a Baylor cheap shot.  He missed the first half against UT.  That first half, we were relying on a freshman QB making his first start in a big time road environment (he'd played at Okie State, but didn't start, and at KU which had more ISU fans in attendance than KU fans).

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Campbell hasn't lost a regular season game by this much since his first year at ISU.

I think Texas wins, but I think we can (maybe even should) win.  You have better talent.  I think we have better coaches.  You're at home, and will have fans in the building.  I also think Herman understands the ISU psyche pretty well and his teams never really look past us, because he's been an integral part of many ISU upset wins (including one at DKR).  I have a hard time seeing Sam Ehlinger losing his last home game.  We're still Iowa State, and in the face of historic opportunity, we usually shit our pants.  In 2018, I had similar thoughts to what I feel now, and you guys dominated.  I think this team is different.  But we're still Iowa State.

You'll probably win, but it's going to be agonizingly close and completely gut wrenching.

A couple big differences between this year and '18:  Breece Hall will play the whole game.  Montgomery had been ejected from our previous game with Baylor after retaliating a Baylor cheap shot.  He missed the first half against UT.  That first half, we were relying on a freshman QB making his first start in a big time road environment (he'd played at Okie State, but didn't start, and at KU which had more ISU fans in attendance than KU fans).

Iowa State Fans should be able to pick up lots of tickets for this game in Austin... 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, there was that one time we forced and recovered a fumble with about 30 seconds left in Ames (play was made by this guy) , which would have ended the game as an ISU victory, but the refs let you keep the ball and you scored on the next play to win by 1.

Then the year after that in Austin where we scored with like 30 seconds left to take a 1 point lead, but then let you go right up the field for a Nick Rose game winner.

Pos rep for a better memory than I.  That would explain why it feels much closer than 7-3 over the last 10.  

At that 2013 game, at the time...just felt like we got a call that could have gone either way. Maybe, Mack finally getting his mojo back.  But then we get stuck on the plane in Des Moines for a couple hours and see the LHN recap on somebody's tablet and realized we really got away with something, refs helped, pure luck/no coaching skill, etc.  By the time we got home around 5:30a Friday morning, thanks to delays, the enthusiasm over the win had completely wained as we realized we aren't gonna out-talent or out-coach anyone, just win ugly at best. 

Still it musta sparked something in the players, because with maybe Mack's weakest roster, that fun night in Ames turns out to be #2 in a 6-game winning streak for us after an ugly 1-2 start to the season (blowout losses to BYU & Ole Miss).  We're actually in the hunt for the conference championship again for the first time in 4 years.  Mack gets pouty, we limp to a 1-3 finish (all 3 losses by 3+ touchdowns) and he's shitcanned a few days later.  

I think that beatdown y'all put on Charlie and us upon our return to Ames in 2015 was a big payback for some shit that should have gone your way in 2013.  You absolutely embarrassed us on Halloween night.  We had twice as many punting yards (412) as we did total offense (204), I didn't even know that was fucking possible in conference play.  I figured Strong would be done soon after that, he managed to stay another season-and-a-half.  

I do remember the 2014 win, that was a nailbiter but a really fun game.  Who knew Nick Rose's hair would inspire a Presidential Campaign just 2 years later?  

Also looking back at the 2017 game, that was also an ugly one that we barely won.  Only because Herman didn't try to out-Mensa Iowa State in the second half.  We ran the ball, not terribly well, 52 times in that game.  I can't remember other than maybe one or two Foreman games where we had that many runs.  And we just outgrind a Cyclone team that couldn't do anything the few times they got the ball.  A 17-7 Texas win was just atrocious to watch but a heavy leading indicator of Herman's tenure.......just get used to tight games against conference opponents and if coach doesn't get too cute, he'll pull off many more than he'll lose.  This was a great example of that.  Ugly as hell though, both teams account for 14 punts, 4 interceptions, and 10 penalties just for the Longhorns.  ISU gets the ball for a total of just 7 minutes in the entire second half though as Herman's D steps up for 2 picks and 2 turnover-on-downs.  

Anyway, never really a series I thought much about until 2010.  We were coming off a very close loss to Oklahoma (shit happens) and a huge upset win at Nebraska.  Then ISU comes into Austin and we beat them in every facet of the game.  But they play extremely physical and get pressure to Gilbert to force 3 INT's and grind us down with the run game later in the game.  We lose by a touchdown, but we lost a helluva lot more than that.  It begins a skid that sees us losing 5 of 6 (only win being over Florida Atlantic).  

It was the 2010 Iowa State game at DKR, in my opinion, that begins the Dark Decade for Longhorn football that we are still mired in today.  So I wish you nice Cyclone fans a happy, safe, and Covid-19 free Thanksgiving.  But come Friday morning, y'all can go fuck yourselves.  

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The first one, I'll concede because it was a ref-error that cost you the game.  The second one, every football team can spin a close loss to a victory.  Shit, we could be undefeated with this logic.  If Keyonte didn't fumble we win the TCU game.  But he did.  If Tom didn't turtle, we with the OU game.  But he did. 

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Pos rep for a better memory than I.  That would explain why it feels much closer than 7-3 over the last 10.  

At that 2013 game, at the time...just felt like we got a call that could have gone either way. Maybe, Mack finally getting his mojo back.  But then we get stuck on the plane in Des Moines for a couple hours and see the LHN recap on somebody's tablet and realized we really got away with something, refs helped, pure luck/no coaching skill, etc.  By the time we got home around 5:30a Friday morning, thanks to delays, the enthusiasm over the win had completely wained as we realized we aren't gonna out-talent or out-coach anyone, just win ugly at best. 

Still it musta sparked something in the players, because with maybe Mack's weakest roster, that fun night in Ames turns out to be #2 in a 6-game winning streak for us after an ugly 1-2 start to the season (blowout losses to BYU & Ole Miss).  We're actually in the hunt for the conference championship again for the first time in 4 years.  Mack gets pouty, we limp to a 1-3 finish (all 3 losses by 3+ touchdowns) and he's shitcanned a few days later.  

I think that beatdown y'all put on Charlie and us upon our return to Ames in 2015 was a big payback for some shit that should have gone your way in 2013.  You absolutely embarrassed us on Halloween night.  We had twice as many punting yards (412) as we did total offense (204), I didn't even know that was fucking possible in conference play.  I figured Strong would be done soon after that, he managed to stay another season-and-a-half.  

I do remember the 2014 win, that was a nailbiter but a really fun game.  Who knew Nick Rose's hair would inspire a Presidential Campaign just 2 years later?  

Also looking back at the 2017 game, that was also an ugly one that we barely won.  Only because Herman didn't try to out-Mensa Iowa State in the second half.  We ran the ball, not terribly well, 52 times in that game.  I can't remember other than maybe one or two Foreman games where we had that many runs.  And we just outgrind a Cyclone team that couldn't do anything the few times they got the ball.  A 17-7 Texas win was just atrocious to watch but a heavy leading indicator of Herman's tenure.......just get used to tight games against conference opponents and if coach doesn't get too cute, he'll pull off many more than he'll lose.  This was a great example of that.  Ugly as hell though, both teams account for 14 punts, 4 interceptions, and 10 penalties just for the Longhorns.  ISU gets the ball for a total of just 7 minutes in the entire second half though as Herman's D steps up for 2 picks and 2 turnover-on-downs.  

Anyway, never really a series I thought much about until 2010.  We were coming off a very close loss to Oklahoma (shit happens) and a huge upset win at Nebraska.  Then ISU comes into Austin and we beat them in every facet of the game.  But they play extremely physical and get pressure to Gilbert to force 3 INT's and grind us down with the run game later in the game.  We lose by a touchdown, but we lost a helluva lot more than that.  It begins a skid that sees us losing 5 of 6 (only win being over Florida Atlantic).  

It was the 2010 Iowa State game at DKR, in my opinion, that begins the Dark Decade for Longhorn football that we are still mired in today.  So I wish you nice Cyclone fans a happy, safe, and Covid-19 free Thanksgiving.  But come Friday morning, y'all can go fuck yourselves.  

That '17 game was the moment the Campbell era really took off.  The aftermath of that loss was the meltdown of Jacob Park and subsequent installation of Kyle Kempt at QB.  We stun Baker and Riley in Norman the next weekend, and the legend of Matt Campbell was on.  We had our chances to get in that game, but your defense completely snuffed us out.

Ironically, I think the 2013 game was the pivot point where Rhoads started to lose the program.  That was a "save the season" type scenario, and it didn't happen.  That 2015 beatdown was a lot of fun.  The last gasp of the Paul Rhoads era, some kind of final revenge or something, I guess.  I got rained out of the field that morning and was able to attend it.  Pretty meaningless for us in the grand scheme of things, I guess.  But a fun day of football nonetheless.

I was at the 2010 game.  It was one of the most fun days of watching football I've ever had.  It was a huge moment for our program, and even though the Rhoads era ultimately petered out, we aren't where we are today without wins like that along the way.  Texas fans were awesome before and after, and it's a big reason why I still post here.  I'll echo the Friday AM sentiments as well.  And then I'll root for you to embarrass KSU next weekend.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The first one, I'll concede because it was a ref-error that cost you the game.  The second one, every football team can spin a close loss to a victory.  Shit, we could be undefeated with this logic.  If Keyonte didn't fumble we win the TCU game.  But he did.  If Tom didn't turtle, we with the OU game.  But he did. 

I'm not spinning it at all.  I'm offering it as evidence as to why this series may feel closer than it looks on paper.  Texas straight up made the plays needed to win the game and ISU didn't, but it was a close game, and it was in the past decade, and would contribute to Lobo feeling like the series was really close.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think we have better coaches. 

Bruh you don't need to state that. This is a given and common understanding against pretty much any team Texas plays and has been for almost the last decade.   

With some of the playmakers coming back on O, and hopefully more Bijan I could see us escaping with a close win. 2 points probably seems right given it's in Austin but I could see a close loss as well.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Bruh you don't need to state that. This is a given and common understanding against pretty much any team Texas plays and has been for almost the last decade.   

With some of the playmakers coming back on O, and hopefully more Bijan I could see us escaping with a close win. 2 points probably seems right given it's in Austin but I could see a close loss as well.

I still have a lot of respect for Herman's play calling based on his time in Ames.  He's clearly not as good at being a head coach, but I probably inflate him a tad as a result.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That '17 game was the moment the Campbell era really took off.  The aftermath of that loss was the meltdown of Jacob Park and subsequent installation of Kyle Kempt at QB.  We stun Baker and Riley in Norman the next weekend, and the legend of Matt Campbell was on.  We had our chances to get in that game, but your defense completely snuffed us out.

Ironically, I think the 2013 game was the pivot point where he started to lose the program.  That was a "save the season" type scenario, and it didn't happen.  That 2015 beatdown was a lot of fun.  The last gasp of the Paul Rhoads era, some kind of final revenge or something, I guess.  I got rained out of the field that morning and was able to attend it.  Pretty meaningless for us in the grand scheme of things, I guess.  But a fun day of football nonetheless.

I was at the 2010 game.  It was one of the most fun days of watching football I've ever had.  It was a huge moment for our program, and even though the Rhoads era ultimately petered out, we aren't where we are today without wins like that along the way.  Texas fans were awesome before and after, and it's a big reason why I still post here.  I'll echo the Friday AM sentiments as well.  And then I'll root for you to embarrass KSU next weekend.

Didn't really think about it until you just laid this out.  The ISU/TEX game as actually proven to be several high and low points for multiple coaches on both sides.  McCarney, one of your all-timers, has no luck against us 0-5.  Chizik leaves Texas for the Cyclone head gig.  Rhoads beats us twice, at the start of his tenure and once more at the end which doesn't help him lose his job.  One of Campbell's biggest wins thusfar is over us last year.  Meantime, as I pointed out, 2010 loss is the first serious sign that Mack's program is in deep shit.  the narrow/somewhat robbed win in Ames in 2014 is the beginning of the final chapter of Mack's tenure here.   A huge low point in Charlie's tenure is that 2015 Halloween blowout.  Narrow win by Herman in 2017 is a strong indicator of what's to come with his second-half style.  And the 2019 loss in Ames is the latest of several head scratchers about Herman which takes us to this week where conventional wisdom is this could be his last game in our stadium.  

I guess like the Joker and Batman, Iowa State and Texas are destined to be intertwined for some reason.  I think we have the resources of Batman/Bruce Wayne but we seem to be content watching our program burn like the man without a plan, the Joker.  I dunno. Is it Friday yet? 

Hope this is bullshit... Not sure what would happen if game postponed

Edit:  Assuming it's ISU who couldn't play Friday

Maybe get creative, and have

• Texas play at Kansas this Saturday,
  • Texas play ISU Dec 12th 
  • TCU at Kansas rescheduled for Dec 12th.
Edited by LTtxfan

Well, it would make our break up with Herman go a lot smoother.  Don't have to spend the holiday weekend in front of family, still pretending like we're in love.  Just slink away and come get your CD's in December.