Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

14 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Damnit. Here she goes again. Who is this person? A different look, every single time.

Someone highly entertaining, but seemingly even more embarrassing.  I wished he had women figured out before football., but some guys need an entire life to understand women.  Probably a benefit to recruiting though.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People need to stop it with all this nonsense about sacrificing more important aspects for a good recruiter.

PK has worked with Gregory for 10 years and Lake for 8. You don’t pull a coordinator away from his most vital assistant coaches and then saddle him with a meathead trying to interfere with his game planning, or ask him to start coaching 2 positions while also coordinating a new defense. We need to go out and find the best coach possible that will help the defense succeed. If he happens to be a good recruiter, then that’s just gravy, but that should not be the focus. We have plenty of good recruiters on staff and a really good personnel and marketing team to help recruit.

Coach up the players, put a good product on the field, and recruiting at Texas will take care of itself. 

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Why did someone dress up their sex robot doll in Horns gear and put it behind the wheel?

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what’s up with Georgia that smart is a good defensive coach, but has a now highly paid dc, another co-dc, and then potentially muschamp as an analyst.  Why do they need so many DC type coaches?

Maybe adopting an AllBrakesNoGas philosophy? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

When is this Surly X games suppose to happen and where? Sign me up for biggest bench, largest dick and fattest paycheck events. 

Same day as the ULaLa game at the Surly bar tab/pregame/tailgate or whatever you want to call it. You must be a nurse huh??

Edited by Mason Ramsey
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?"

This is not only the best answer, it's the ONLY answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Hide contents

If the Pete Kwiatkowski hire isn't a home run, it's a triple where the ball thunks off of the 420 foot stencil in deep center, the center fielder scrambles around like a disoriented chicken trying to corral the ricochet, and the base runner jogs into third base as the crowd goes "Oooooooh."

It's an analogy so powerful, it almost makes baseball watchable.

Oh hell, it's a home run. @Ian Boyd does a fine job talking chalk, but here are some 50,000 foot thoughts...which approximates the altitude of the current Longhorn high I'm on.

1. Why didn't we talk about Kwiatkowski as a possible candidate? Not for lack of regard, but we simply didn't know he was in the universe of options. We might as well have pondered Eric Bienemy as our RB coach. It's like scanning the bar near closing time and Heidi Klum steps over a velvet rope, slinks over, and says, "Why haven't you been talking to me? I've been watching you all night." At that point, you just try your best not to lose your cool, yell out "Yippeeee I did it!" and fist bump every guy around you. That's what I did and to this day, I regret it.

Pete was thought to be a UW lifer. Every Husky fan emphatically agreed on this point.

Sark expanded the universe of what's possible.

2. Let's keep Pole Assassin away from Kwiatkoswki until we're absolutely clear on exactly what kind of Poles she assassinates. I'm watching her henchman monkey as well.

3. My biggest fear for this DC hire was WonderBoy schemer with press aplenty who just throws out a bunch of looks with no week to week growth of the players. It's all shiny facade and when things fall apart, there's no substance to fall back on. Or the inexperienced DC who has the guard rails of elite athletes and/or a defensive stud head coach, but doesn't really have the chops to teach defense all by his lonesome with greater athletic parity.

You solve the spread with teaching, individual player agency, fundamentals, and creativity. Pete packages all of that up in innovative ways, but understand his schemes as a means to an end, not the end itself. He knows he's in the teaching profession, first and foremost. I cannot tell you how important that is.

Watch:

Coach K is the old hand who has seen everything, been everywhere, and is not impressed.

4. This is a Top 5% hire. His resume is basically unimpeachable. He has done it at every level. Without having the bully veto of always having the best athletes on the field. You learn about coaching when you've spent years stopping the spread with recruits from Missoula.

5. He is not a recruiter. That task is for his staff. His recruitment is a three hour infomercial every Saturday in the Fall. If an athlete wants to learn to really play football in a versatile defense that the NFL values for its showcase of skills, get on board. His assistants will whisper the sweet nothings.

6. Kwiatkowski is the perfect temperamental complement to Sarkisian and this staff. He'll be a true collaborator with the head man for issues on and off of the field, he's a selfless culture guy, and he teaches players with a disappointed dad that you want to make proud vibe over mindless screaming. He's always the adult in the room.

He is all team, all the time. He doesn't care about politics, positioning for the next job, or much else beyond kicking wholesale ass on Saturday.

7. Kwiatkoswki adjusts in a matter of drives, not quarters, halves, or games.

8. A Husky buddy I respect who knows football is distraught. Right now, the Husky boards feel like a wake. It's difficult to fully convey how much they love Kwiatkowski.

"Texas hiring Sark is like a friend dating an ex girlfriend who used to be a mess, but seems like she got her **** together. I hope it works out for everybody, but I am not going to get too emotionally involved.

Texas hiring Pete Kwiatkowski is like a friend coming in my house, stealing my wife, burning the house down on the way out the door, and taking my dog for good measure. I am not sure I can be friends after that."

9. It's on.

It's alright. You can stay in our guest house after the renovations are done.

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

you old fucks not understanding filters on pictures will never not amuse me 🤣

MAYBE the point is that the filters are f'n stupid.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Why did someone dress up their sex robot doll in Horns gear and put it behind the wheel?

If she's behind the wheel then TEXAS is backwards on her cap.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Roach: Observations on Washington's defensive scheme and how it translates to Texas personnel

Spoiler

— I've watched three full games so far from Washington's 2016 season where we know that Pete Kwiatkowski was calling the defense for the Huskies. I wanted to start with some of the better offenses Kwiatkowski would have seen in the Pac 12, so I chose matchups against Utah, Washington State and Alabama. I felt those three games would give me enough variety and a wide array of talent difference to get a good idea of what Texas fans can expect.

— A lot has been made of the front, but it can be really multiple. The personnel can be what you would see in a typical 4-2-5, but the edge guys are usually in a two-point stance. The front plays two defensive tackles so there is less reliance on a nose to eat blocks more of an attacking style up front. The result of this front is that Kwiatkowski is able to disguise blitzes well. He doesn't telegraph where they are coming from and they also don't come from 20 yards away. There isn't an over-reliance on blitzing from the eye test (I'd have to check the blitz percentages), but they do attack randomly and into the weak spots of an offense. For the majority of snaps I watched, Kwiatkowski was mostly calling four man rushes up front and dropping everyone else. This scheme is primed to be a strong weapon against spread offenses, but it requires things like gap discipline and good open-field tackling as most other schemes do. I'm excited to see the defensive line rotations at Texas where you have a ton of versatile bodies who were recruited for a mix of odd and even fronts. Alfred Collins is a guy who can play defensive tackle or on the strong side end at depending on the situation. Prince Dorbah could be a weakside edge or linebacker while T'Vondre Sweat, Vernon Broughton, Keondre Coburn and Byron Murphy are all going to be able to attack from the interior.

— At the linebacker position, Kwiatkowski typically has two linebackers playing inside the hashes but these guys must be able to cover in space. That's encouraging for players like Jaylan Ford, DeMarvion Overshown, Morice Blackwell and Terrence Cooks. The x-factor in this defense seems to be the rover which was most famously played by Budda Baker back in the heyday. Baker could line up deep or in the box and work as a flat or underneath defender. Texas has players who can fit that skillset in Chris Adimora, BJ Foster and early enrollee JD Coffey seems like a perfect fit there as well. Like with the defensive line, I think there are a ton of options for the safety and rover roles. Herman's first staff loved bigger safeties who could play hybrid roles while Chris Ash preferred more mobile prospects who could cover in space. The result is a mixture of bodies and skillsets that need to be deployed correctly to take advantage of the recruiting success Texas had in the past few years.

— In the secondary, Washington played a lot of one-high safety coverage and man on the outside. They don't press a ton and are often asked to be on an island deep. They also showed a ton of 2-man but they can disguise it fairly well because of the alignment and versatility of the safety. As talented as they were with a number of first-round picks, Washington just couldn't match the overwhelming talent difference of Alabama in the 2016 Peach Bowl. Still, Kwiatkowski's unit held them to 17 points on the day despite Washington struggling to get things going on offense and throwing a pick-six in the first half. Against Mike Leach's Air Raid offense at Washington State, Kwiatkowski's defense was good at creating pressure and though they couldn't totally stop the big plays, they succeeded at shutting down the chunk plays that give an offense like that oxygen. This defense was also incredibly adept at creating turnovers. Most people believe that turnovers aren't a skill that can be acquired and are more a measure of luck, but the high numbers they generate tell me they are opportunistic, in the right position and taught well when it comes to locating the ball and attacking it.

• Hook 'Em 9

18 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Hide contents

If the Pete Kwiatkowski hire isn't a home run, it's a triple where the ball thunks off of the 420 foot stencil in deep center, the center fielder scrambles around like a disoriented chicken trying to corral the ricochet, and the base runner jogs into third base as the crowd goes "Oooooooh."

It's an analogy so powerful, it almost makes baseball watchable.

Oh hell, it's a home run. @Ian Boyd does a fine job talking chalk, but here are some 50,000 foot thoughts...which approximates the altitude of the current Longhorn high I'm on.

1. Why didn't we talk about Kwiatkowski as a possible candidate? Not for lack of regard, but we simply didn't know he was in the universe of options. We might as well have pondered Eric Bienemy as our RB coach. It's like scanning the bar near closing time and Heidi Klum steps over a velvet rope, slinks over, and says, "Why haven't you been talking to me? I've been watching you all night." At that point, you just try your best not to lose your cool, yell out "Yippeeee I did it!" and fist bump every guy around you. That's what I did and to this day, I regret it.

Pete was thought to be a UW lifer. Every Husky fan emphatically agreed on this point.

Sark expanded the universe of what's possible.

2. Let's keep Pole Assassin away from Kwiatkoswki until we're absolutely clear on exactly what kind of Poles she assassinates. I'm watching her henchman monkey as well.

3. My biggest fear for this DC hire was WonderBoy schemer with press aplenty who just throws out a bunch of looks with no week to week growth of the players. It's all shiny facade and when things fall apart, there's no substance to fall back on. Or the inexperienced DC who has the guard rails of elite athletes and/or a defensive stud head coach, but doesn't really have the chops to teach defense all by his lonesome with greater athletic parity.

You solve the spread with teaching, individual player agency, fundamentals, and creativity. Pete packages all of that up in innovative ways, but understand his schemes as a means to an end, not the end itself. He knows he's in the teaching profession, first and foremost. I cannot tell you how important that is.

Watch:

Coach K is the old hand who has seen everything, been everywhere, and is not impressed.

4. This is a Top 5% hire. His resume is basically unimpeachable. He has done it at every level. Without having the bully veto of always having the best athletes on the field. You learn about coaching when you've spent years stopping the spread with recruits from Missoula.

5. He is not a recruiter. That task is for his staff. His recruitment is a three hour infomercial every Saturday in the Fall. If an athlete wants to learn to really play football in a versatile defense that the NFL values for its showcase of skills, get on board. His assistants will whisper the sweet nothings.

6. Kwiatkowski is the perfect temperamental complement to Sarkisian and this staff. He'll be a true collaborator with the head man for issues on and off of the field, he's a selfless culture guy, and he teaches players with a disappointed dad that you want to make proud vibe over mindless screaming. He's always the adult in the room.

He is all team, all the time. He doesn't care about politics, positioning for the next job, or much else beyond kicking wholesale ass on Saturday.

7. Kwiatkoswki adjusts in a matter of drives, not quarters, halves, or games.

8. A Husky buddy I respect who knows football is distraught. Right now, the Husky boards feel like a wake. It's difficult to fully convey how much they love Kwiatkowski.

"Texas hiring Sark is like a friend dating an ex girlfriend who used to be a mess, but seems like she got her **** together. I hope it works out for everybody, but I am not going to get too emotionally involved.

Texas hiring Pete Kwiatkowski is like a friend coming in my house, stealing my wife, burning the house down on the way out the door, and taking my dog for good measure. I am not sure I can be friends after that."

9. It's on.

Gracias

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if Roach knew who won those games before watching them.

Or if he was watching the game with a bucket of popcorn and yelling "go KP go".

Back when I had cable, the channels that played old college games used to tell you the winner right in the program description.
I really hated that.  

It's like watching a murder mystery when you already know who the bad guy is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dummy said:

The x-factor in this defense seems to be the rover which was most famously played by Budda Baker back in the heyday. Baker could line up deep or in the box and work as a flat or underneath defender. Texas has players who can fit that skillset in Chris Adimora, BJ Foster and early enrollee JD Coffey seems like a perfect fit there as well.

Assuming he doesn’t have both feet out of the door, I wonder if this is a role PK could modify and deploy Owens in. He’d probably have to be in the box more than deep but maybe he’d accept being called a “rover” instead of linebacker. 

8 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I wonder if Roach knew who won those games before watching them.

Or if he was watching the game with a bucket of popcorn and yelling "go KP go".

Back when I had cable, the channels that played old college games used to tell you the winner right in the program description.
I really hated that.  

It's like watching a murder mystery when you already know who the bad guy is.

During peak COVID, I would watch reruns of Premier league periodically. I don't know shit about soccer and don't watch it so I would have zero clue if Arsenal beat Liverpool in 2005 and the channel usually picked good games.