Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, SimkinsMan said:
  Hide contents

I do not know how serious of a candidate he is but I’m beginning to hear the name Chris Marve as perhaps someone to watch for the final staff hire.

Marve is currently the Florida State linebackers coach and defensive run game coordinator. I believe he’s originally from Texas but got his start in the coaching world at Vanderbilt, his alma mater.

A friend of mine worked with Marve at one of his stops and said, “He’s sharp as hell. Relentless recruiter. Guys love him. Was a three year captain at Vandy. Hired full time after being a GA”.

Again, let me emphasize I don’t know how much there is to it. But, I am beginning to hear he may be a candidate. Still waiting for some additional confirmation.

Also, I do not believe part of the deal with coach Kwiatkowski included a guarantee that he would get to bring a guy. That doesn’t mean Sark won’t take a suggestion and consider it. But, based on what I was told, the hire will still ultimately be Sarks. So, the final staff may end up being all guys Sark picked.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Chris-Marve-3776/AllTimeRecruits/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Assuming he doesn’t have both feet out of the door, I wonder if this is a role PK could modify and deploy Owens in. He’d probably have to be in the box more than deep but maybe he’d accept being called a “rover” instead of linebacker. 

Owens isn’t versatile enough to play Rover in this defense. He’s a LB all the way. He’s either going to have to accept that or transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

are you talking about Texans from state of Texas or Texans as in NFL team?

yeah, sorry, I go on tangents sometimes. I meant players from Texas. The teams he's had win the MNC that immediately came to my mind (including LSU) had prominent kids from Texas. Kinda depressing, really.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Marve shows up on basically every “best young coaches” list you can find. He doesn’t have the badass recurring pedigree, but he also hasn’t really had an opportunity to show what he can do there. Frankly, Sark has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Seems to be a high ceiling guy.  

Fortunately, we're not trying to recruit any of the guys who spurned Marve. So we have that going for us. Which is nice. 

Just a wild guess, but I'll bet any solid young position coach could recruit to Austin well enough with this staff and our support structure behind him. 

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Another LB coach with a Sark connection. His background doesn't scream recruiter, but four years under Bill Snyder and then three years as DC says he can probably coach. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Cox_(coach)

Seems like a pass though 

“Has anyone seen Mike Cox? I’m looking for Mike Cox!” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Fortunately, we're not trying to recruit any of the guys who spurned Marve. So we have that going for us. Which is nice. 

Just a wild guess, but I'll bet any solid young position coach could recruit to Austin well enough with this staff and our support structure behind him. 

Yeah, I don’t think people give enough credit to how much easier it is to recruit when you’re selling kids on Texas and you have the UT player personnel department helping you. As long as a coach is willing to put in the effort (cough, Giles, Drayton, cough), he will see results.

Now, if we start fully playing the bag game and put a winning product on the field, then things will skyrocket. 

All I know is we have a badass OC, badass OL coach, badass DC and a bunch of other great coaches.  Assuming Sark is off the sauce, this staff looks outstanding.   

There are no Watsons, Chambers, Koennigs, Meekins, Warehimes, or Mehringers in this group.  

The DC and OL hires were the most important.  And both were A+++++

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

All I know is we have a badass OC, badass OL coach, badass DC and a bunch of other great coaches.  Assuming Sark is off the sauce, this staff looks outstanding.   

There are no Watsons, Chambers, Koennigs, Meekins, Warehimes, or Mehringers in this group.  

The DC and OL hires were the most important.  And both were A+++++

this is the most optimistic if felt in over a decade  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1