Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

44 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I have been waiting many years for this hire.

It has been hard for me to like Surly Horns. I am not the great thinker like Pato del Merto Wuhan Horn, South Austin, CTJ, Burt Macklin, South Austin, Ztejas (sans Futureman) or Kicking Bird is. I always feel anger first regarding Texas Football. There were never answers to my questions. But now I think other warriors  like Phoenixhorn, Sua Sponte,Beowulf, rpongett and Thujone came and went away because they were preparing us for Sarkisian. That is how I see it.  I have been prepared and waiting for this day.

Edited by Post Oak

39 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

It has been hard for me to like Surly Horns. I am not the great thinker like Pato del Merto Wuhan Horn, South Austin, CTJ, Burt Macklin, South Austin, Ztejas (sans Futureman) or Kicking Bird is. I always feel anger first regarding Texas Football. There were never answers to my questions. But now I think other warriors  like Phoenixhorn, Sua Sponte,Beowulf, rpongett and Thujone came and went away because they were preparing us for Sarkisian. That is how I see it.  I have been prepared and waiting for this day.

You can keep trying but they're never gonna fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

Thanks for the acknowledgement. You were quick to get the reference. I'm thinking you are smartest guy in the Surly room.

Well of course, and it came up on my youtube feed about 3 days ago, while I am in quarantine for COVID. So, of course I watched it. You can't find that conversation between Wind in his Hair and John Dunbar on a single clip on youtube. One of the greatest movies of all time.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Well of course, and it came up on my youtube feed about 3 days ago, while I am in quarantine for COVID. So, of course I watched it. You can't find that conversation between Wind in his Hair and John Dunbar on a single clip on youtube. One of the greatest movies of all time.

CHIEF

Yeah, I tried to find the video to no avail.  I figured my fellow Surly Brethern would appreciate the reference, but you never know. Anyway, hope the quarantine goes well stay safe.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Anyone that has failed and worked their ass off for redemption understands. 

I'm not concerned with Sark handling failure. I'm concerned with how he will handle success. Texas can become a different beast when you win. A-list celebrities, billionaires, politicians, and Texas HS football coaches will all want a piece of his time. 

Remember how snubbed recruits would treat Texas when they didn’t get an offer (this only happens when we win consistently)? Can he handle intense fan adoration? All the things that eventually made Mack too comfortable during his tenure. I know he can handle the type of adversity that comes with failure, but I hope Sark is ready for success at a place like Texas.

This will be a GREAT problem to have.  I have a feeling Sark is no FUPM. He's seen success up close at USC (early carreer) and BAMA. I pray he has to solve this one.

Hook'em 

2 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

Yeah, I tried to find the video to no avail.  I figured my fellow Surly Brethern would appreciate the reference, but you never know. Anyway, hope the quarantine goes well stay safe.

Half these MFer's weren't even born yet.

CHIEF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Knewk210 said:

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Say my name again, bitch.

SAY HIS NAME!

noCR

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Offense has been taken at you taking offense at being lumped in with me. 

And me. He said Wuhan Horn. Then dead duck translated that to Wulaw. 
I’m not sure if I was being insulted or complimented but I’m going with being mentioned with you assholes as a good thing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I like that two of our big time hires have gone out of their way to make the fact that Texas wanted them a big deal. It’s TEXAS! I’m sure the money is important but it’s been a long time since our legendary status has seemed to matter to the right kind of people. I hope that bleeds into the players and we put a little fear into some mother fuckers again, circle that date with Texas because it’s going to be a dog fight. Now where did I put that bottle of lotion...

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Offense has been taken at you taking offense at being lumped in with me. 

Seriously?  Y'all both seem like reasonable posters on here.  Make your peace and let's move on.

2 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

SAY HIS NAME!

noCR

I responded. He is happy and all. 

At this point, I think I'd take a good teacher of the off-ball linebacker position who's a decent/plus recruiter at his position over the elite bagman who is a question mark as a coach.

Agreed in general, but Tosh has a strong reputation as a DL coach. It’s DC where he’s failed badly.

He is however redundant with Kwiatkowski and Davis already on staff. I think that ship has probably sailed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Agreed in general, but Tosh has a strong reputation as a DL coach. It’s DC where he’s failed badly.

He is however redundant with Kwiatkowski and Davis already on staff. I think that ship has probably sailed.

Yeah, the one way we could make it work is if PK coached ILBs and Tosh took OLBs. But it doesn't seem like we're going in that direction, and I'm fine with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He was a pretty good OLB coach for his three years at Bama and the way PK's system works there is quite a bit of overlap with usually one of the OLBs on the field playing at the edge position (often two). PK teaches OLBs at Wash but can just as easily focus on ILB instead as he himself has said in the past. 

I tend to think the Lupoi ship has sailed and there are plenty of other really good options likely less to meddle / interfere with PK doing his thing but from a positional coaching standpoint Lupoi actually fits nicely into the hole we have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

I was optimistic about Herman.  I didn’t love the Beck hire but figured Tom would run the offense so didn’t lament it and almost puke like I did the Watson hire.  

And in the end, it wasn’t Beck who sank Herman. It was Herman. 

I wa s listening to the Scipio and Kevin Dunn pod and Dunn said he had a good ND source that said Joseph is below average in recruiting and coaching. @golfclap will certainly echo this sentiment and then some.

Dunn’s source Basically said he’s not a good coach. I’m not sure why Sark hired Jospeh as there doesn’t seem to be a clear connection, but I’d say Joseph as CB coach is probably Sark’s worst hire so far, and is a negative for PK, since it will almost definitely be a downgrade form Jimmy Lake coaching his secondary. 

If Joseph doesn’t work out, hopefully Sark will recognize it quickly and move on. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I wa s listening to the Scipio and Kevin Dunn pod and Dunn said he had a good ND source that said Joseph is below average in recruiting and coaching. Basically said he’s not a good coach. I’m not sure why Sark hired Jospeh as there doesn’t seem to be a clear connection, but I’d say Joseph as CB coach is probably Sark’s worst hire so far, and is a negative for PK, since it will almost definitely be a downgrade form Jimmy Lake coaching his secondary. 

If Joseph doesn’t work out, hopefully Sark will recognize it quickly and move on. 

I have to say i hope my gut is wrong on this one but i felt the same way.   Time will tell.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wa s listening to the Scipio and Kevin Dunn pod and Dunn said he had a good ND source that said Joseph is below average in recruiting and coaching. @golfclap will certainly echo this sentiment and then some.

Dunn’s source Basically said he’s not a good coach. I’m not sure why Sark hired Jospeh as there doesn’t seem to be a clear connection, but I’d say Joseph as CB coach is probably Sark’s worst hire so far, and is a negative for PK, since it will almost definitely be a downgrade form Jimmy Lake coaching his secondary. 

Joseph> the last several CB coaches....net gain.......change my mind.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

What was the biggest difference between this opportunity and some others over the years?

It’s the University of Texas. I know Sark. I know guys who have coached with Sark. I know a couple guys on the staff, so I have a good feel for the culture and what it’s going to be like working with all these guys.

qhTpK4IJx9gHiQdo02Lzd0f2lJPGwEdWtmDsa02g

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Joseph> the last several CB coaches....net gain.......change my mind.

Ash is a better DB coach than Joseph hands down. Joseph’s probably m a better coach than Washington and Valai but that’s a low bar.  Overall, I think Joseph will probably be average to below average at recruiting, but his coaching and development seems to be lacking.

He’s not an abjectly terrible hire, like half of Herman’s staff was, and if he’s your worst coach then you’re probably  in a good spot, but he seems like the most likely  spot for improvement. I’ll be very curious to see how our CBS look this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I question Ash's ability to coach DB honestly simply for being dumb enough to hire guy at a school like Texas with virtually no experience. Makes me question his entire thought process. Just because Urban fondled his nuts means he was right. The DB improvement from year prior wasn't significant coverage wise. They did tackle better.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

LSU's situation as an institution isn't getting any more stable over the next couple of years. If Joseph sucks, can him and take another run at Raymond.

• Hook 'Em 1