Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

For fear of stating the obvious, even without our collective PTSD from Charlie’s and Tom’s initial staffs, every surly poster save trolls and and the Pope of Pessimism would have been happy with this slate of assistant hires if presented at the onset of the search as a hypothetical.

It’s not perfect and there are a few that deserve scrutiny, and I don’t mind the scrutiny because that kind of discussion is kind of the life blood of CFB message boards. But I, like many others, have renewed optimism for success of the program given who has been assembled and Sark’s calculated actions only a couple weeks out of the gate - and that’s after being down on the hire when it first happened.

Absent an abysmal hire with the last defensive hire, this is easily a Top 10 staff in college football and has the potential to be even higher. We beat UGA and had stretches of success and what at the time appeared to be positive trajectory with a JV coaching staff led by a psychiatrist’s dream heading the charge.

If you trust Sark’s coaching and program-leading abilities, there is every reason to believe we have the pieces to move from mirage to actual sustained success and, if we do that, you’re looking at a Bama-lite situation (at least early on) where any “B-range” staffers will be much more easily upgraded. You need a new HC regime jump out the gate on a path to sustained success and stability to be in a position to do that, and we avoided a three-peat nightmare scenario where initial hires delivered the silent kill shot before a single game was played and a year or two later you’re taking late-night trips to Tulsa to beg a G5 coordinator to accept your money whip. Be happy and optimistic my friends, you surly fucks. 

All caveated with: as long as Sark stays way the fuck away from Sixth Street.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Teryor said:

Ya the guy who coached the secondary that held Alabama to its worst performance of the season must have just been in the right place cause he really sucked ass but keep talking about BDE I'm sure that'll help bring in Urban to replace him

A statement this hilariously wrong getting so much rep is classic Surly. Mac Jones tore ND's secondary apart and had 182 yards in just the 1st half. Alabama's first three drives ended with scoring passes of 26 yards, 12 yards, and 24 yards. Bama's only punt that half came after DeVonta Smith was tackled behind the LOS on that trick play and it ended the drive.

Gormlessly staring at the final score doesn't tell you anything; the reason Bama only scored 31 is because ND strung together longer drives on offense than Bama usually allows and didn't go three-and-out so the offense had fewer possessions. If any secondary did the best against Bama, it was maybe Arky (their offense compensated for it with four turnovers) or Kentucky (who doesn't have a front 7 like NDs and got ran over by the Bama rushing attack)

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

For fear of stating the obvious, even without our collective PTSD from Charlie’s and Tom’s initial staffs, every surly poster save trolls and and the Pope of Pessimism would have been happy with this slate of assistant hires if presented at the onset of the search as a hypothetical.

It’s not perfect and there are a few that deserve scrutiny, and I don’t mind the scrutiny because that kind of discussion is kind of the life blood of CFB message boards. But I, like many others, have renewed optimism for success of the program given who has been assembled and Sark’s calculated actions only a couple weeks out of the gate - and that’s after being down on the hire when it first happened.

Absent an abysmal hire with the last defensive hire, this is easily a Top 10 staff in college football and has the potential to be even higher. We beat UGA and had stretches of success and what at the time appeared to be positive trajectory with a JV coaching staff led by a psychiatrist’s dream heading the charge.

If you trust Sark’s coaching and program-leading abilities, there is every reason to believe we have the pieces to move from mirage to actual sustained success and, if we do that, you’re looking at a Bama-lite situation (at least early on) where any “B-range” staffers will be much more easily upgraded. You need a new HC regime jump out the gate on a path to sustained success and stability to be in a position to do that, and we avoided a three-peat nightmare scenario where initial hires delivered the silent kill shot before a single game was played and a year or two later you’re taking late-night trips to Tulsa to beg a G5 coordinator to accept your money whip. Be happy and optimistic my friends, you surly fucks. 

I 100% agree.  It’s exciting to see where this can go.  I’ve followed college football my whole life and I’ve come to learn that most college coaches are idiots.  Most of these guys would probably never get into a school like Texas.  The reason I’m making this point is that these coaches sometimes make this job harder than it is.  In today’s college football, you need to 100% do the following.  Only a few programs can offer you the opportunity to do this and Texas is one of them.  You do the following and you will compete for the CFP.  Kirby Smart, who is an idiot, has proven this.

1.  Hire a team of good coaches and recruiters.  Sark has done this.

2.  Don’t be a dick to your team and recruits.  Sark seems to be very likeable. 

3.  Let the coaches you hire do their jobs without meddling.  Herman struggled with this, Strong seemed oblivious to anything and everything on this end.  Sark stated in his interview that the biggest thing he learned from Saban was to let the coaches do their jobs and not to try to do everything yourself.

4.  The most important aspect.  Recruit the biggest and fastest guys.  You will win 90% of your games in college football by simply just having better athletes.  Put your best players in space and give them the damn ball.  Herman couldn’t do this.  He stuck to his stupid system and played favorites.  Strong didn’t have the players.  That roster he inherited may have been the worst in the history of Texas football.

Just do those things above Sark and you will be a legend here, I promise you.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Both sides have valid points. I mean Ohio State had Mike Yurcich as their QB coach and he was a sitting OC of a top 15 offense the year before. However the role of a QB coach isn't to recruit, its to help the OC with game planning and be an aid in the technical development of QB's. Milwee played college FB and knows this offense and will help with the transition. if he can actually aid in play calling that's a bonus, but as an analyst his job was to break down opposing defenses, he is familiar with what sark wants and the lingo he speaks so when we play tcu he can say "hey remember what we did last year against Auburn.." that's a big deal imo. So while we probably couldve hired a more qualified guy we probably ended up with the right guy. So excited to kick peoples ass.

I'm sorry but who would you prefer: Milwee or Brees?  There is your surly answer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Judging the Joseph hire on the ability of our CB’s to do the hardest thing in football (turn around and find the ball in the air while not losing ground on a receiver running full speed) is laughable. There’s a reason almost no CB’s in the country can consistently do it and that pass interference is the most effective way to move the ball for some offenses. The rules in the modern game favor the offense to the extreme. You can barely put your hands on a receiver anymore. 

That being said, it’s going to be funny when people praise Joseph for the CB’s play this year because he’ll have the luxury of trotting out 2 senior starters at corner or Darion Dunn, who is a damn good player. Joseph’s real work will start in 2022. 

Sorry, but this is just not true. I played strong safety and corner and found that turning and looking for the ball once you are running with your man is far easier than trying to react to their arms in the split second that the ball comes into your field of view without drawing a penalty. It also protects you from penalties overall because once you are turning and looking at the ball, incidental contact is generally forgiven since you are playing the ball and not the man. The only reason this technique really took off was due to the proliferation of the back shoulder fade which does take advantage of the technique, but literally every other route is better played the other way. 

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Holy shit.  I guess there was too much positivity in this thread.  Look I know “we’re Texas “ but not every assistant wants to uproot their lives and family to be in Austin.  Look what happened to guys like Hagen and hutzler.   

and Joseph sucks, according to who? A friend of Kevin Dunn’s?   As for Coleman, he’s had one year working with a guy who apparently is a meddler.  I’m ok with giving him another year.  Any chance Colbert and Wiggins just didn’t want to come. 

and fuck off with the herm comparisons.  He brought 7 dudes from Houston and one of his best buddies.   Seems like sark barely knew Joseph,Gideon, Pete, And Bo.  

also everyone is taking about Ash bring a great db coach. I wasn’t that impressed with our defensive backs last year

Relax and let it play out

This is a terrible poem.

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Your avatar sucks and is all regarded.  

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It’s almost as if I have non-surly responsibilities that have kept finding a new one from being top of the to-do list. But RollLeft, just because you’re special, would it help you sleep better at night if I went to Google and quickly pulled one of a some scantily clad babe with bolt-ons or a generic picture of DKR, or perhaps of my home NFL team’s current or past stadium? Would that be cool, or is that too played out...maybe one of a pet monkey then? Please let me know, I’ll be here putting off life and eagerly awaiting your stamp of approval. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Plan A was Muschamp. Once he accepted and then later backed out (hence coaches hired before New DC) he had to find another DC.

After that, they took a step back and casted a wide net to look at what was out there.

It's nice when Plan B or C turns out to be better than Plan A

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It’s almost as if I have non-surly responsibilities that have kept finding a new one from being top of the to-do list. But RollLeft, just because you’re special, would it help you sleep better at night if I went to Google and quickly pulled one of a some scantily clad babe with bolt-ons or a generic picture of DKR, or perhaps of my home NFL team’s current or past stadium? Would that be cool, or is that too played out...maybe one of a pet monkey then? Please let me know, I’ll be here putting off life and eagerly awaiting your stamp of approval. 

TLDR, quit yappin and get on it.  You need to quit that career you hate anyway.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems like you knew what to say.

However, while it's a difficult skill you are overselling it a bit. If you turn and find the ball then you don't have to worry about staying with the receiver as a separate task. Studies have shown that on 100% of completed passes the ball and the receiver end up at the same spot.

Sorry that I don’t believe you. 
These DB’s aren’t fielding punts. If the receiver is running absolutely straight go maybe. Usually DB has follow by looking at receiver. Now he has usually about less than a second to turn his head, find ball and adjust to where ball is going. All of that while at full speed. As was said those guys  are born and not coached up. 

2 hours ago, Droopy said:

Re: Joseph or any other position coach... 

If you’ve ever been in a position of hiring a team of people (3 or more), then you realize that you hire the best people that you can work well with. Not just the best resume with the highest achievements. If someone is a high performer but is an asshat to work with you have to weigh the importance of that position on your team. Sark seems to have a great core, with coaches that develop talent and, that I’ll bet, can make those around them better. Not all “great on paper” hires work out, even for the most thorough. Time will tell, but I finally feel comfortable with the head coach and his talent evaluations. 

This, we act like many of these coaches are warmed over dog shit because they have had stops that weren't as successful. 

Bo Davis was not really viewed as a plus anything his first go round at Texas toward the end of Mack's tenure, but goes to Alabama and Nick Saban calls him one of the best DL coaches he has ever seen, now we are happy to have him back

Jeff Banks was on Sumlin's staff, therefore he sucked, but ends up at Bama and kicks our ass in recruiting and now we are doing backflips to have him

Sark washed out at USC and Saban himself even took criticism for hiring the guy as an analyst when he was radioactive to the extent that he had to hold a press conference, but a few years later he is the hottest coach in football 

Let's give these hires time to play out, some of the early recruiting talk on Joseph is that he is being well received on the trail and is well respected among coaches. Gideon, while not immediately obvious that he was going to coach safeties, may well be a rising star and comes highly recommended by some of the top guys we were targeting at DC. Milwee has worked closely with Sarkisian over the last few years and he trusts him at the most critical position on the field.  Personally I am fine with all of these hires.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Wow, that RollLeft character really got to you.  You seemed genuinely hurt. 

You're in my prayers. 

• Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sorry, but this is just not true. I played strong safety and corner and found that turning and looking for the ball once you are running with your man is far easier than trying to react to their arms in the split second that the ball comes into your field of view without drawing a penalty. It also protects you from penalties overall because once you are turning and looking at the ball, incidental contact is generally forgiven since you are playing the ball and not the man. The only reason this technique really took off was due to the proliferation of the back shoulder fade which does take advantage of the technique, but literally every other route is better played the other way. 

Username does not check out with stated technique.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Is the sex tent back in action?

Nah.  Back at home after I ran the RV into the low bridge.  Just conventional sex in the bedroom in the harness, with a trapeze and a monkey and great pyranese tangentially involved.  So, you know, Wednesday.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The defensive staff is good, though it’s fair to question the secondary, but a far cry from the Muschamp-Raymond-Lupoi circle jerking that was taking place. This site had some awfully wild expectations.

45 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Sorry that I don’t believe you. 
These DB’s aren’t fielding punts. If the receiver is running absolutely straight go maybe. Usually DB has follow by looking at receiver. Now he has usually about less than a second to turn his head, find ball and adjust to where ball is going. All of that while at full speed. As was said those guys  are born and not coached up. 

What is there not to believe? I think you probably misread my post unless you think there is a non-zero percentage of completed passes where the ball and the receiver don't end up really close to each other. Which seems like a really interesting scenario for which I'd like to see evidence. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The defensive staff is good, though it’s fair to question the secondary, but a far cry from the Muschamp-Raymond-Lupoi circle jerking that was taking place. This site had some awfully wild expectations.

I'm not even positive that Muschamp is better than PK, but he hosed us.  Raymond is a Louisiana native who seems to annually step out on LSU to force a raise.  Plus I think he and Lupoi wanted play calling responsibilities.