2021 transfer thread

Machinator

Texas is looking for some candidates at running back, and the transfer portal might provide an immediate answer.

A source at Texas confirmed to me today that Tennessee running back Eric Gray is on campus for a visit. The Tennessee product signed with the Vols in the 2019 class, but entered the transfer portal amid a mass exodus from other Tennessee products in the wake of Jeremy Pruitt's firing. Gray also has plans to visit Oklahoma, but sources in Austin are optimistic this visit could help shut the door for the Longhorns.

A former four-star commit and All-American Bowl participant, Gray hails from Memphis (TN.) Lausanne Collegiate School. In two years with the Volunteers, Gray ran for 1311 yards and 8 touchdowns to go with 369 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving.

5COMMENTS

The Longhorns go into the spring with limited numbers at the position and a need to add more talent. While Texas continues to chase four-star running back LJ Johnson, they must nail down a more immediate option to give them depth. Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson form a strong two-headed monster in the Texas backfield, but Steve Sarkisian and Stan Drayton want to add more quality depth at the position.

Gray spent time at Tennessee also returning kicks and punts and appears to be the type of versatile all-purpose back who could fit into a backfield with established talent.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

Why should college athletes be obligated to stay at one place when others in society aren't?

Dude,  it's a word sark used. You should email him and tell him your concerns. 

Edit: and tell him that you don't hire a fucking stoops as well. 

Edited by Butch Had Not
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I think he was more talking about guys that "opt-out" with games left to play. Someone transferring between seasons should be able to do so with zero impunity. Texas will take those types, same as anybody else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Gray split carries at Tennessee, he was the lead dog, but he still split them. Had 157 carries, and Ty Chandler (who also portaled) had 100 carries.  

Najee Harris was about as dominant as you could be in Sarks offense at Bama, but his backup still had 91 carries, more than any back had for us last season.

If Gray wants to comes here, we can find enough of carries for both him and Bijan.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don't want anyone splitting carries with Bijan. 

i am somewhat getting to this place as well. obviously you need as much depth and talent as possible on the team but i really wouldn't mind seeing what bijan looks like as a legit feature back.  obviously, he's not ricky or cedric and built for as many carries but hell, JC carried the ball 258 times in 2007.  if it is possible for him to stay healthy through 200 carries, i would really like to see an offense that leveraged that.

I love Roshon, but if Bijan went down we are toast at RB. We have no other feature back, our starter would be a converted QB. Get Gray, he was Tennessee's featured back. There would be a drop off, but we wouldn't necessarily have to change our game plan. It would be nice to have that luxury. LJ would make this not necessary, but he isn't signed yet, so the coaching staff is wisely playing CYA. If that depth scares off LJ, then so be it. Go get Blue in 2022.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don't want anyone splitting carries with Bijan. 

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

i am somewhat getting to this place as well. obviously you need as much depth and talent as possible on the team but i really wouldn't mind seeing what bijan looks like as a legit feature back.  obviously, he's not ricky or cedric and built for as many carries but hell, JC carried the ball 258 times in 2007.  if it is possible for him to stay healthy through 200 carries, i would really like to see an offense that leveraged that.

Bama's second stringer had 91 rushes. Every back wants tread on the tires for the NFL. It's a new era.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Edit: and tell him that you don't hire a fucking stoops as well. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think he was more talking about guys that "opt-out" with games left to play. Someone transferring between seasons should be able to do so with zero impunity. Texas will take those types, same as anybody else.

I think closetojumping is right. But Sark erred if he said it about "opt-outs" or transfers. If Sark denigrates players by calling them quitters it'll reflect badly on him and his ability to recruit.

It's also bad look for a dude who broke a contract himself this year.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bama's second stringer had 91 rushes. Every back wants tread on the tires for the NFL. It's a new era.

yeah, but najee had 251.  in the 13 years since JC had 258 carries, malcolm brown had 214 in 2013 and 183 in 2014, tre watson had 185 in 2018, and foreman had his monster year in 2016 on the quest for 2k...but other than that, no other rb has come close to 200 carries in those 13 years.  najee had 209 in 2019 and 251 in 2020.

Edited by sidis

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

yeah, but najee had 251.  in the 13 years since JC had 258 carries, malcolm brown had 214 in 2013 and 183 in 2014, tre watson had 185 in 2018, and foreman had his monster year in 2016 on the quest for 2k...but other than that, no other rb has come close to 200 carries in those 13 years.  najee had 209 in 2019 and 251 in 2020.

So if, hypothetically, things go well and we have lots of nice long offensive drive like Bama.... we'll want to split the carries

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This can't be true. I was told by Surly that Gray had no interest in being the second fiddle behind Bijan. 

Most of us said we struggled to see it happening, which is completely different than saying he didn’t have interest. If you want to find a solid example of something someone asserted as fact that was way off base, you can reference your comments about BC in the coaching thread. 

4 hours ago, quigley said:

I think closetojumping is right. But Sark erred if he said it about "opt-outs" or transfers. If Sark denigrates players by calling them quitters it'll reflect badly on him and his ability to recruit.

Sark didn’t. Butch Had Not is just butchering what Sark said. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:11 AM, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

But should he be? The guy always seems a little slow upstairs on the football field to be playing CB at this level. He plays with no confidence and seems lost, quite often, IMO.

So what's the word on Jalen Green besides this take above. Every other post seemed to praise him. Looks like he's coming to Mississippi State to play in the a unique defense where we badly need defensive backfield  help. 

I see he might just want to play under his old position coach again in Jason Washington. either way.. potential big pick up for us. 

49 minutes ago, msudawg said:

So what's the word on Jalen Green besides this take above. Every other post seemed to praise him. Looks like he's coming to Mississippi State to play in the a unique defense where we badly need defensive backfield  help. 

I see he might just want to play under his old position coach again in Jason Washington. either way.. potential big pick up for us. 

I've never been his biggest fan, although some on here I know had super high hopes and expectations.  I second the coelenterate's take, but maybe he puts it together with a new start.  

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

He’s constantly lost and plays timid. Physically capable of matching up with everyone, but loses those battles more often than not.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

He’s constantly lost and plays timid. Physically capable of matching up with everyone, but loses those battles more often than not.

He is tall, fast, and has good agility. So, all the tools are there. He just needs to put it all together.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

He is tall, fast, and has good agility. So, all the tools are there. He just needs to put it all together.

He's not fast. He's tall with long arms and he's strong. He has stiff hips and less than stellar instincts, so he's best when he can redirect a WR and not have to turn and run. 

Decent run support when he takes the time to wrap up too.

• Hook 'Em 2

Silly gooners over here thinking Bijan might transfer to them...
20210113_192432.thumb.jpg.163d81e4e4d74cd118232c0a3d2ab114.jpg

In what fantasy land does anyone think a guaranteed starter is transferring from here now? The staff was upgraded at every single position that changed. For any player whose position coach remained the same, they aren’t going to transfer unless they get buried on the depth chart, and that sure as shit ain’t happening with Bijan

He accepted the job, but still stayed to coach (and win) a national championship. That’s what he said he wished players would do...finish the season. I don’t think he’s ever said anything about players transferring after the season. That’s entirely different.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, quigley said:

He didn’t break a contract. Get your shit together. He was offered a higher level position and was not contractually obligated to abstain from taking it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, msudawg said:

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

He's not fast. He's tall with long arms and he's strong. He has stiff hips and less than stellar instincts, so he's best when he can redirect a WR and not have to turn and run. 

This is pretty accurate. He has a lack of top end speed which limits his ceiling but I don't think he has stiff hips - he has a 4.01 shuttle - he was just out of position a lot in a poorly schemed Todd Orlando defense that led to confidence issues that he couldn't seem to get over here. He's not an island guy but he is good getting into a WRs body and using his long reach and strength to his advantage. I think he'll probably do well in Arnett's scheme opposite Emerson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He didn’t break a contract. Get your shit together. He was offered a higher level position and was not contractually obligated to abstain from taking it. 

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

He accepted the job, but still stayed to coach (and win) a national championship. That’s what he said he wished players would do...finish the season. I don’t think he’s ever said anything about players transferring after the season. That’s entirely different.

"Back on Aug. 5, Sarkisian signed a contract through Feb. 28, 2023 that included a raise to $2.5 million annually." (link below)

So I don't know if Sark had an out clause, but he was definitely under contract while negotiating for another job.
This is fine. He was making a decision in his professional interest.

College football players who opt-out or transfer are also making decisions in their professional interest. If you can't see hypocrisy in this, be sure UT football players can.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/report-steve-sarkisian-to-remain-at-alabama-blackwell

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 11

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

"Back on Aug. 5, Sarkisian signed a contract through Feb. 28, 2023 that included a raise to $2.5 million annually." (link below)

So I don't know if Sark had an out clause, but he was definitely under contract while negotiating for another job.

College football players who opt-out or transfer are also making decisions in their professional interest. If you can't see hypocrisy in this, be sure UT football players can.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/report-steve-sarkisian-to-remain-at-alabama-blackwell

You are here

20210123_125555.png.a60ed09dc7fa823157d2cf5d4f177f48.png

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Sark’s situation is akin to a player declaring early for the NFL draft. Even then, Sark finished his season whereas someone like Ossai (don’t blame him) sat out the bowl game.

19 hours ago, quigley said:

I’d be more worried if Sark let a shithead running back that sucker punched a female in a bar remain on the team.  We do appreciate your concern though.  

• Hook 'Em 5

TFB on Eric Gray:

Spoiler

***As you know, Tennessee starting running back Eric Gray entered the portal this past week and made a trip to Austin, this weekend.

***Gray spent time with Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson, this weekend. Pretty good deal when you’re running backs are selflessly recruiting a transfer running back for you.

***I’m told Gray’s visit to Austin has ended and he’s headed up to Norman this afternoon to visit OU.

***I believe Texas will be in a first come first serve situation. If LJ gives them assurances, they’ll take him. If Eric gives them assurances, they’ll take him.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You are here

20210123_125555.png.a60ed09dc7fa823157d2cf5d4f177f48.png

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you guys!

You left one meathead behind, but you got another guy that doesn't understand the mindset of current players. You were on "shock" with the Mike Stoops fiasco and are in "denial" about this.

Just to take it back to where is started, one of you guys was suggesting that the transfer thread be labelled the "quitters" thread.

• Fuck You 8

14 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’d be more worried if Sark let a shithead running back that sucker punched a female in a bar remain on the team.  We do appreciate your concern though.  

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Sark’s situation is akin to a player declaring early for the NFL draft. Even then, Sark finished his season whereas someone like Ossai (don’t blame him) sat out the bowl game.

Talk about apples-oranges, Stork. Regardless, you'll have to remind me where I supported Mixon remaining at OU.

Sgt, thank you for your service, and I think you and I agree. Ossai doesn't owe it to UT to play a meaningless bowl game. If he'd had been playing for national championship and opted-out, he'd be the first player to do so. Ossai added value to the university far greater than the cost of his scholarship.

Sark left in the middle of a contract he'd signed four months prior and Alabama had a top rated offense playing for the national championship. If Alabama had been playing in the Alamo Bowl, I'd bet Bama would have seen a bunch of opt-outs also, including Sark.

And no one would've cared.

So I understand you guys are okay with a coach who doesn't see it as hypocritical that players exercise their rights to optimize their professional opportunities when he did the same. We're cool.

• Fuck You 1