welcome back to the cloak room, surly conservatives

elfenix

On 1/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, mchookem said:

i mean...most of the conservatives never left...GoLL, Brisket, Lobo, Wulaw, etc. 

somehow, somewhere, some jackhole decided conservative=Trump...and that could literally not be farther from the truth. 

While this is true, "conservatism" had lost most legitimate claim to actually being conservative and Trumpco completely shattered any further illusion that the GOP was a party of reasoned conservatism.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

While this is true, "conservatism" had lost most legitimate claim to actually being conservative and Trumpco completely shattered any further illusion that the GOP was a party of reasoned conservatism.

Blah.Blah.Blah.

Many of us said from the get-go that Trump wasn't a conservative.  We were never wrong.

On 1/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, mchookem said:

i mean...most of the conservatives never left...GoLL, Brisket, Lobo, Wulaw, etc. 

somehow, somewhere, some jackhole decided conservative=Trump...and that could literally not be farther from the truth. 

don't you lump me in with those psychopaths. ;) 

I certainly have some fiscal and constitutional beliefs that tilt "conservative" but most of my agenda is libertarian/progressive/blended but always had one thing ring true to it---I fucking hate the Executive Branch no matter who occupies it.  

What cracks me up is, and this is going back to the old site, I harangued Obama on the politics board and nobody batted an eye. I sat out the first year of the Trump administration commentary---just didn't give a shit---felt both sides were insane.  Kinda chimed in a bit in 2018.  But because I had the gaul to question the most fucked up President in U.S. history the last two years, despite my affinities for the Republican Party in some races, I get thrown in with "The Cloak Room Cabal" by the armchair pundits like Rex Kramer, GRHorn, Blaine, Incrudelity, et. al.  These fucking idiots with whom I attended fundraisers for down-ballot folks think that any questioning of the Trump genius means we're all insane and out to implode the entire shaggy/surly website.

I'm gonna continue to critique the Biden administration which shouldn't be hard to do.  But we'll also do well to remember he has to clean up an insane asylum where rubbing your own feces on the walls was considered a sign of strength.  

I guess it comes down to some of us thought by casting a light on what we thought, as former Republicans was incredibly disturbing...we could change some hearts and minds because the incessant bitching by the usual crazy liberals on CR wasn't doing jackshit but making echoes upon echoes.  By holding a mirror to folks we knew were sorta like-minded, we could gently suggest, "Hey there fella, you're in a cult led by a sociopathic moron driving us near extinction and you and I will not have a political party to go back to in a few years when he's done torching the foyer."  We naively thought it might perk a few ears instead of the moaning by the usual suspects.  But it didn't.  All it did was engrain many of you to further double down on your idiotic worship of a false messiah.  

Whether it's folks like us making meager attempts online, to your relatives, to your coworkers, to your friends, to Romney, to the 10 Congressmen who voted to impeach, to the Lincoln Project, to John Roberts, to Pres. Bush, to John Kasich, to the Pope himself..........we only now see the folly of our ways.  Pointing out the lunacy of your idol worship of the most vile piece of shit to walk on my country's soil, as a fellow "conservative"...it didn't serve any function except to make you dig your heels in for fear of appearing "easily fooled."  It wasn't that questioning his policies or demeanor or moral backbone upset you...it was that any questioning of the Trump mantra made you uncomfortable, no matter the severity of posit.  Any inquiry is off limits, because to question anything at all about him was to cast shadows of doubt upon yourselves.  And you all remained silent on here and moved to the peripheries of not just this site, but in polite society.  I know hundreds, if not thousands, of real-life diehard GOP'ers...and only a handful openly discuss their Trump loyalty.  The other 95% remain deadly silent.  Because they know...to articulate their beliefs is to enter in a loop of lies that cannot be severed.  There is no logic.  There are no edges.  There is no sides.  

Edited by Lobo

As a progressive vegan atheist who does cross-fit in New York, I take issue with that.  Listen...you seem like an intelligent person, but as a taxpayer...I must say: "

Brisket is a conservative?

LOlz.  that's like all of the centrists on here who never share their graph outputs when they do the little test thingies.

Edited by slorch

Look at the folks claiming the Biden administration is the main political story of the moment. It’s not. Hint: it remains the attempt to throw out the US Constitution.

The election was rigged? Show the fucking evidence.

Shelia Jackson Lee was more sane in 2017, when she claimed: “I guarantee you, had Donald Trump gotten 2.8 million more votes than Hillary Clinton, had the Russians interfered in the election to help Hillary Clinton, those galleries would have been full of -- with Trump leading the charge -- angry people saying I want to look into the rigging of this election,"

Think about that:

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

LOlz.  that's like all of the centrists on here who never share their graph outputs when they do the little test thingies.

I voted mostly Republican for a long time.  Participated at least at the precinct level.  Even did a little work on GOP hispanic outreach efforts long ago.  I was never an ideologue, would cross over to vote for a dem in certain races if the dem was genuinely a better candidate, etc.  But I voted in Repub primaries, all that.

And yeah, I'm horribly embarrassed by that now.  It turns out that there really are not conservative "ideas" within the GOP.  Just reactionary bullshit that sometines puts on a respectable face.

But the think is, I haven't strayed from ideas that are and should be conservative ideals: attacking racial discrimination, common sense immigration policies, prioritizing high-functioning voting systems, etc.  But God knows, the GOP has run screaming from all of those.....not that it really has ideas beyond "nativist xenophobia" and, literally, "whatever Trump says."

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

You’re closer to MTG, Boebert and Trump than you are to being a sane and rational person. You are amongst the many who bastardized the Republican Party and conservative moment 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, slorch said:

Blah.Blah.Blah.

Many of us said from the get-go that Trump wasn't a conservative.  We were never wrong.

It's worse than Trump isn't a conservative.

It's that he revealed that a majority of those masquerading as conservatives don't give a fuck about anything except their own power. 

None of them were even committed enough to any sort of agenda other than thinly veiled white supremacy to even cough up a fucking platform for the GOP.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You’re closer to MTG, Boebert and Trump than you are to being a sane and rational person. You are amongst the many who bastardized the Republican Party and conservative moment 

IDGAF about the Republican party.   Win for you?

as far as 'conservative movement'  I have no fucking idea what that is.

I am generally conservative fiscally and libertarian on social issues.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's worse than Trump isn't a conservative.

It's that he revealed that a majority of those masquerading as conservatives don't give a fuck about anything except their own power. 

None of them were even committed enough to any sort of agenda other than thinly veiled white supremacy to even cough up a fucking platform for the GOP.

as bad as that was, they couldn't identify with the left either.  that should scare the hell outta ya... but you can couch it as partisan bullshit.

Edited by slorch

On 1/6/2021 at 1:21 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Conservatives?  A lot of those have been here the whole time.  I think you mean seditious traitors and/or fascists.

☝️ This.

The GOP stopped being Conservative the moment Trump won. The party either purges the Trumpistas, or the remaining folks need to leave.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

as bad as that was, they couldn't identify with the left either.  that should scare the hell outta ya... but you can couch it as partisan bullshit.

The fact that batshit crazy anti-democracy racists sided with Republicans over Democrats absolutely does not scare the hell out of me.

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Conservatives, of course.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/conservatism/

Conservatism in a broad sense, as a social attitude, has always existed. It expresses the instinctive human fear of sudden change, and tendency to habitual action. 

Fear is the mind-killer:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Conservatism in a broad sense, as a social attitude, has always existed. It expresses the instinctive human fear of sudden change, and tendency to habitual action. 

Fear is the mind-killer:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Fear is the mind-killer:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

That seems to be the popular version around here of what it is...and it's wrong.

rs-sam-kinison-9b9d1204-0e2c-4188-a4cb-8

then what's the point?  

sex can't be all rice cakes and sparkling water.  There has to be purpose.  

Edited by Lobo

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

then what's the point?  

sex can't be all rice cakes and sparkling water.  There has to be purpose.  

So you like the taste of male ejaculate?  Good for you.  I'm not a fan, though I am a fan of making sure my man is fully satisfied.  I was just letting y'all know there's a solution.

No, not really my cup of tea.   I filled up on cheap chardonnay beforehand anyways.  My wife claims she can taste what I ate/drank that day in mine.  Not sure if it's literally an old wife tale.  

Okay, back to CR talk.  I see the forum is being opened up little by little to former CR regulars that tilt "right" now that Biden is in office.  We'll see what happens.  I am being deeply sincere, though mostly out of morbid curiosity, if we could allow for some safe threads for fans of people like Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Qanon, et. al. Statistically speaking, there have to be dozens, if not hundreds of acolytes of that movement within the GOP just on this website.  I used to worry about the radical shit posted on this place because it shows up in google searches about UT.  I had a scholarship recipient's parents ask me about a particular thread one time.  So it can obviously send us down a dark path like texags.  But I really want to see how fucking crazy some of us really are.  Just some 48-hour off-season frenzy where we can get it all out there on a few threads in CR and DT and then it'll be imploded by the admins after that so it won't scar the site later on.  

No, not really my cup of tea.   I filled up on cheap chardonnay beforehand anyways.  My wife claims she can taste what I ate/drank that day in mine.  Not sure if it's literally an old wife tale.  
Okay, back to CR talk.  I see the forum is being opened up little by little to former CR regulars that tilt "right" now that Biden is in office.  We'll see what happens.  I am being deeply sincere, though mostly out of morbid curiosity, if we could allow for some safe threads for fans of people like Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Qanon, et. al. Statistically speaking, there have to be dozens, if not hundreds of acolytes of that movement within the GOP just on this website.  I used to worry about the radical shit posted on this place because it shows up in google searches about UT.  I had a scholarship recipient's parents ask me about a particular thread one time.  So it can obviously send us down a dark path like texags.  But I really want to see how fucking crazy some of us really are.  Just some 48-hour off-season frenzy where we can get it all out there on a few threads in CR and DT and then it'll be imploded by the admins after that so it won't scar the site later on.  

Your WIFE performs the oral?

Surely she is a unicorn.

i would be in favor of a 'safe space' thread for some posters, where no neg-rep could be given. i rarely think negging in the CR is justifiable. 

but the problem isn't that many are afraid of negs (most have so much pos-rep they can withstand a ton of negs with little impact)... they say they're afraid of neg, but that's not it...

they are really afraid to engage bc they cannot actually defend the indefensible, and they don't like that being pointed out.

forget the rep... they feel attacked when multiple posters call them out for thinking 'MTG is a-okay', poor things.  it causes that uncomfortableness in their amygdala. nobody wants that! lol

• Hook 'Em 4

I think for about 48 hours, we could clear a lot of air.  No neg given by anyone.  I think that's about as long as the site could last before insults and shit get tossed around.  But I am really eager to learn what "educated" and "successful" UT alums think of some of the shit going on right now.  As I said upthread, I know hundreds like this but only a very small handful will open up about for the reasons laid out above.  I think if it weren't Covid-19, there'd be more in-person chats over drinks at events, but this is the closest thing we have right now.  I'd really like to hear from some folks about the movements afoot.  

i would be in favor of a 'safe space' thread for some posters, where no neg-rep could be given. i rarely think negging in the CR is justifiable. 
but the problem isn't that many are afraid of negs (most have so much pos-rep they can withstand a ton of negs with little impact)... they say they're afraid of neg, but that's not it...
they are really afraid to engage bc they cannot actually defend the indefensible, and they don't like that being pointed out.
forget the rep... they feel attacked when multiple posters call them out for thinking 'MTG is a-okay', poor things.  it causes that uncomfortableness in their amygdala. nobody wants that! lol

Negged
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But the think is, I haven't strayed from ideas that are and should be conservative ideals: attacking racial discrimination, common sense immigration policies, prioritizing high-functioning voting systems, etc.  But God knows, the GOP has run screaming from all of those.....not that it really has ideas beyond "nativist xenophobia" and, literally, "whatever Trump says."

Unless you’re pushing 80 years old, the GOP wasn’t for any of those conservative ideas back when you were voting for them.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I really want to see how fucking crazy some of us really are.  Just some 48-hour off-season frenzy where we can get it all out there on a few threads in CR and DT and then it'll be imploded by the admins after that so it won't scar the site later on.  

There is a general rule in liberal democracies* - no platform for fascists. 

Let them write books to express their feelings:

Not My President but My Lover: Who Could Possibly #Resist? A Sordid Love Affair with President Donald Trump by [Jessica Stranger]

https://www.amazon.com/Not-My-President-but-Lover-ebook/dp/B08FCFTZK8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&qid=1610585164&refinements=p_27%3AJessica+Stranger&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Jessica+Stranger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* A "liberal democracy" has nothing to do with a Trumper's faulty definitions of "liberal" and "democrats."

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Unless you’re pushing 80 years old, the GOP wasn’t for any of those conservative ideas back when you were voting for them.

Immigration is an easy one to pull out of there -- When W became president, for all his other faults, his immigration proposal was Grade-A material.  And I was at some GOP precinct meetings back in that period when the modern racist/nativist movement started to rear its head as an ugly force with respect to immigration, and it got STRONG (and effective) pushback from local GOP leadership (who were positioned similarly to W in that respect).  They were told to take their xenophobic shit elsewhere.

In the end, of course, they didn't -- they kept coming back, until they took over.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

So we’re gonna no-true-Scotsman conservatism, huh?

If we look at the dueling philosophies in the broadest sense -- conservatism v. progressivism -- then I want both to have a voice.  I want conservatism to be a check on bold new progressive ideas, because your new idea may be shitty and/or a bridge too far.  And I want progressivism there to be a check on our conservative tendencies -- we have a lot of shit that we've always done that needs to change, and we need to evolve and move forward.

It should be a push-pull process.  Hell, just like my household is.  I argue that we should put the extra $3k in retirement, because conservative financial planning.  My wife argues that we should spend all $3k on a family trip, because it's good for us.  Ultimately, we weigh the factors and the options -- both of which have some merit -- and find the right path.   Maybe it's all one way or the other.  Maybe it's compromise.  Maybe it's savings this year, but vacation next year.

We should all be rightly terrified of unchecked -ism.  Yes, there may be periods where the pendulum should swing harder one way or the other (I think that progressivism and many of the ideas attached to it need to have their day), but that doesn't mean that I want us to completely abandon the concept of some fiscal restraint (I note that the GOP in no way stands for that -- I'm talking about the philosophical point).  We may have great arguments against fiscal restraint today, or with respect to numerous measures -- great, let's make them, and do what needs to be done.  But we all benefit when there is at least deliberation.  That's an idea-based government and democracy, and we really don't have that now.  No matter how good you may think your ideas are, they benefit from having someone "red team" them. 

And yes, the primary fault for that is on "the right."  As the point has been made repeatedly, they don't have any ideas, they don't even have a national platform -- the literally said they stand for "whatever Trump wants.," built on a loose foundation of thinly-veiled nationalism/xenophobia (when your response to EVERYTHING is "communism!  Socialism!  America first!", that's just lazy nationalist claptrap).  That's a huge abandonment of any sane role in a deliberative democracy.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, slorch said:

Blah.Blah.Blah.

19 hours ago, slorch said:

18 hours ago, slorch said:

Win for you?

that should scare the hell outta ya... but you can couch it as partisan bullshit.

sorry to deviate from the template/ talking points.   

Dios mio, you are a thin-skinned little twat.  You constantly project your political insecurities onto everything around you and then squeal like a cunt when your shit gets called out. 

Please, tell us again how you're a principled conservative.  Tell us again the Limbaugh talking points you spew all over the board without an original thought included.  Ask some more questions. Display your great and staggering morality by couching your arguments in falsehoods and assumptions.

Get fucked, slorch, you're not a man of principle or honor. You're a poorly educated dumbfuck who believes every word spoken by those that say what you want to hear. And you believe and parrot every word, despite the fact there's a factual, objective record that they've done nothing but lie to you.  And you continue to lick it up like a thirsty dog.  You will get your shinebox and pull the R lever straight down the ticket like you've always done, because you don't have the capacity to think beyond tomorrow.  You don't even have a trick, pony.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...