UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is my concern as well. If he's not good, firing him may prove difficult bc his buddies will think we didn't give him a chance or enough time or the right resources.

We are in win-now mode.  If Ivey wants to be the head coach, there's opportunities for him to go out there and get that experience and come home later.  He and all his NBA buddies are also welcome around the program anytime they'd like. 

Also if Ivey tanks here he is probably going to be pushed into the NBA assistant for life pool.. He goes somewhere else and builds an identity then if he fails at a big job he has something to fall back on resume wise. Right now he is all potential and hype.

I would love to have him here in Austin, but in truth now is not the time for either party.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went through FCB's post history (couple thoughts, 247 makes it fucking hard to do this and I had to see TyroneSwoope's posts so a mega-fuck you for that) and I've only seen him be coy about Beard. In a post about Shaka being excited to coach at Marquette for the sold out crowds he said this: 

44deda8742d1abc1c078c5de150fa485.png

And in a thread talking about how Beard's lack of rejection is good he responded with this:

79f23144ba893ed647654892b85d09c9.png

I'd rather someone just post the IT update from this morning because we all know FCB sucks and it sucks ass I spent any time on this

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh let me guess:

• Good riddance. We don't want him. 
  • He has no loyalty
  • Didn't even do that well here, if you look at X, Y, Z
  • Terrible brand of basketball, wasn't fun to watch, we can do better
  • Delusional rants about how they are going to land the an elite coach there is because they are a basketball school now

What’s funny/ strange to me is the number of posters in this discussion on this board poo-pooing Beard’s teams’ style of play.  Are they  looking for Jerry Tarkanian, Grandamama, and 120 points a game or some shit?

Winning is plenty sexy and Beard does it a lot.

I will not be happy if he leaves.  He’s a very special coach, with whose philosophy and concepts I identify with, pretty damned strongly. You’re right though, points 1-4 will be hit bigtime.  There are already people bitching because ‘ he’s looking elsewhere just like ole Leach.”  These people have an extreme aversion to winning and success. It drives me nuts.

Edited by slorch

IT's update isn't particularly illuminating.

Spoiler

Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard is still the odds on favorite to be the next head coach at Texas and we’re not alone in that thinking.

However, per our best sources an agreement has yet to be reached.

Texas Tech is working furiously to keep him, but there seems to be some reconciliation on that side they’ll either struggle to keep him or put the rest of the athletic department at a competitive disadvantage by over-spending.

As we’ve reported, we don’t necessarily think this will come down to money. Beard is a UT graduate and Texas brass has had its eye on him since he took Tech to the National Championship game, if not before.

Since this isn’t done we’re still monitoring any activity with other coaches. We know Texas is working on other candidates but we don’t know exactly who those names are beyond the guys we’ve mentioned — Royal Ivey and Dana Altman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Isn't Sampson's "sleaziness" basically just texting kids during dead periods. Or am I forgetting something else? Calipari and Pitino seem like next-level pieces of shit compared to Sampson.

I remember the texting, but I think someone alluded to under the table payments, but I don't know if that's just rumor.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT's update isn't particularly illuminating.

Reveal hidden contents

Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard is still the odds on favorite to be the next head coach at Texas and we’re not alone in that thinking.

However, per our best sources an agreement has yet to be reached.

Texas Tech is working furiously to keep him, but there seems to be some reconciliation on that side they’ll either struggle to keep him or put the rest of the athletic department at a competitive disadvantage by over-spending.

As we’ve reported, we don’t necessarily think this will come down to money. Beard is a UT graduate and Texas brass has had its eye on him since he took Tech to the National Championship game, if not before.

Since this isn’t done we’re still monitoring any activity with other coaches. We know Texas is working on other candidates but we don’t know exactly who those names are beyond the guys we’ve mentioned — Royal Ivey and Dana Altman.

Eh, I prefer honest nothing over FCB's bullshit "I know something you don't know~~~~!" routine

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Guys, I asked the 'buelita working the register here at Whataburger if Texas was going to hire Chris Beard and she said "huh?"

You heard it here first. 

What's the acceptable number of cheeseburgers to eat for lunch in a week? 38, no family history of heart disease.

57 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

One risk with Ivey is that if he has an extended run of mediocrity it may be tough to fire him without alienating those NBA alums.  So maybe add in a few more years of wandering in the wilderness.

With the support Ivey has in the league, it sounds like he's going to be an NBA coach soon. Superstars almost get to pick their coaches these days. No way we could keep him.

25 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I went through FCB's post history (couple thoughts, 247 makes it fucking hard to do this and I had to see TyroneSwoope's posts so a mega-fuck you for that) and I've only seen him be coy about Beard. In a post about Shaka being excited to coach at Marquette for the sold out crowds he said this: 

44deda8742d1abc1c078c5de150fa485.png

And in a thread talking about how Beard's lack of rejection is good he responded with this:

79f23144ba893ed647654892b85d09c9.png

I'd rather someone just post the IT update from this morning because we all know FCB sucks and it sucks ass I spent any time on this

I saw those posts and didn't mention them because FCB.

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

What’s funny/ strange to me is the number of posters in this discussion on this board poo-pooing Beard’s teams’ style of play.  Are they  looking for Jerry Tarkanian, Grandamama, and 120 points a game or some shit?

Winning is plenty sexy and Beard does it a lot.

I will not be happy if he leaves.  He’s a very special coach, with whose philosophy and concepts I identify with, pretty damned strongly. You’re right though, points 1-4 will be hit bigtime.  There are already people bitching because ‘ he’s looking elsewhere just like ole Leach.”  These people have an extreme aversion to winning and success. It drives me nuts.

Now this is a good point Slorch. Beard definitely plays a slower pace, but his offense has a lot of nuance to it. He has good off ball movement and I remember enjoying watching the Tech team that made a run set really good back door screens creating good looks for the cutter. There will be pleasing things about the offense even though it’s not a Musselman/Oates get out and run style of play. And watching wonderfully executed defense and discipline can also be very entertaining. 

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Ivey got hired though we would have 5 stars in meetings with him and kd and LA helping him recruit studs here. Fuck it I’m torn now. 

Pretty sure that would be a recruiting violation.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure that would be a recruiting violation.

Also, those guys have jobs and when they aren’t working, I am sure they are not wanting to help recruit for a school they were at for 6 months

Just now, Fug said:

Also, those guys have jobs and when they aren’t working, I am sure they are not wanting to help recruit for a school they were at for 6 months

The whole premise behind the Royal Ivey movement is that the athletes who were here for a limited amount of time still care very much about the program and would love to throw their support to help it succeed.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fug said:

Man there sure are a lot of people upset that some other people left UT after one year to go make millions of guaranteed dollars but are still more identified as Longhorns than they are.

If any of us had millions on the table to leave Texas after a year we would have taken the money and been out of the room before they even finished asking the question. And we'd still be just as much Longhorns as we are now. Just like those players are.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Man there sure are a lot of people upset that some other people left UT after one year to go make millions of guaranteed dollars but are still more identified as Longhorns than they are.

If any of us had millions on the table to leave Texas after a year we would have taken the money and been out of the room before they even finished asking the question. And we'd still be just as much Longhorns as we are now. Just like those players are.

I am not saying I blame them at all, just if I’m KD and am playing basketball for 9 months a year, the other 3 months I’m dealing with my business ventures, I’m probably not hopping on a plane to come help UT get some 5 star kid. I am a realist, no blame on those guys for leaving after 1 year.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

People do realize Beard can get the NBA Horns back aligned too, right? I don’t get the sense our NBA Horns are saying only Ivey can bring back their support. I do get the sense they just want a coach who knows what the fuck he’s doing.

This was mentioned a while back.  NBA guys know a bad coach when the see it.  As was mentioned here a while back (by you?), a lot of those guys were disgusted by the way Smart ran practices.

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He has good off ball movement and I remember enjoying watching the Tech team that made a run set really good back door screens creating good looks for the cutter. And watching wonderfully executed defense and discipline can also be very entertaining. 

Anyone who coaches off-ball movement is a significant improvement over Smart.  Having it accompanied by good fundamentals and discipline will be fantastic.  The on-court product will be night and day better with Beard.

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Machinator said:

You don't need an account to lurk here.

But if they are vested enough to come here to look for info with all the other shit and take screenshots to bitch about it, I would expect that they would also sign up to have a troll account ready just in case... but if not and we accidentally nuke some noob by accident...

if he dies he dies.gif

4 minutes ago, Utexas66 said:

Seems like you upset them.

The insecurity can be pervasive on there.  Like, in a very scary way, you end up asking, ‘ How do y’all function in life?’

The FB pages are the worst.

13 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I live in Arkansas, he wouldn’t even answer the phone. He is a god here.

He's as mercenary as they come, just like dad.  He'll go wherever he makes the most dinero and with the quickest path to the NBA.  Don't kid yourself; he grew up in this world of negotiations.  He just plays the game well enough to make his current employer feel all warm and fuzzy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bitching about KD only attending UT for one year is the Texas version of aggy complaining about t-shirt fans.

• Hook 'Em 3