120 Degrees Today In Tri-Cities, Washington

SwAss

Can't believe it get's that hot in the Pacific NW.  I know parts of Washington and Oregon are a desert but hell, Southeast Idaho is a desert (that grows potatoes) and it gets -40 in the winter!  What may be causing these extreme Phoenix-like temps in what is supposed to be the coolest part of the country this time of the year?

Edited by SwAss
  • Fuck You 2

• SwAss changed the title to 120 Degrees Today In Tri-Cities, Washington
1 minute ago, SwAss said:

Can't believe it get's that hot in the Pacific NW.  I know parts of Washington and Oregon are a desert but hell, Southeast Idaho is a desert (that grows potatoes) and it gets -40 in the winter!  What may be causing these extreme Phoenix-like temps in what is supposed to be the coolest part of the country this time of the year?

Tri-cities are high desert.  It’s hot as fuck or cold as shit.  Nothing stereotypical PNW about it.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Tri-cities are high desert.  It’s hot as fuck or cold as shit.  Nothing stereotypical PNW about it.

It being a desert should affect the temps all that much, just the humidity.  I mean, East Texas isn't a desert but it get's hot as fuck, where as dry climates tend to have a smaller range of temperatures?

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

portland hit 114

nothing to see here

and it's humid in Portland.  I'd be hitting Cannon Beach swimming in the cold water with the great whites if it gave me some relief from those temps.  Wonder how hot it was on the coast if it was that hot in Portland.  

• Fuck You 2

I lived next to Kent/Renton (Maple Valley) back in 2012 and they had record heat then 94 degrees (didn't know they hit 100+ in 2009) and with no AC unit in the house the only relief I could find was in taking a cold shower.  Oh I miss the PNW, it's usually paradise this time of year.  

• Fuck You 2

33 minutes ago, SwAss said:

and it's humid in Portland.  I'd be hitting Cannon Beach swimming in the cold water with the great whites if it gave me some relief from those temps.  Wonder how hot it was on the coast if it was that hot in Portland.  

I doubt it's that humid in Portland when it's 114 fucking degrees. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I doubt it's that humid in Portland when it's 114 fucking degrees. 

takes a while for that residual moisture to bake off.....   You'd be surprised at the level of humidity up there.  

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, SwAss said:

takes a while for that residual moisture to bake off.....   You'd be surprised at the level of humidity up there.  

You're right. Currently I'm sitting in a whataburger drive thru waiting for a high to wear off and just making shit up and googling climate data.

Carry on.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

are you insinuating that this is normal? 

Normal, PNW wide?  No.

100’s in the tri-cities is normal.

is this where we argue weather/climate?  

One of the worst snowstorms in Portland history was this year too.  So I guess you’ll pivot to “extreme” weather narrative 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Incredulity said:

Normal, PNW wide?  No.

One of the worst snowstorms in Portland history was this year too.  So I guess you’ll pivot to “extreme” weather narrative 

I'm not arguing anything. you seemed to make a post that was "shrug, high desert, hot as fuck or cold as shit"

seemed dismissive to me so i guess i am asking just what you meant by that. still wondering that, by the way, because your answer ascribed an argument to me that i did not make. when you do that you reveal that you have a posting agenda, fyi.

i think most agree that 115 degree temperatures in most places are fucking bonkers. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Normal, PNW wide?  No.

I think 2016 winter was way worse, but we did have electricity back them though, an not so much this time around.

Edited by workswithseed

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I think 2016 winter was way worse, but we did have electricity back them though, an not so much this time around.

Look up winter 08.  I lived there and it was 2-3ft of snow in PDX for 2weeks.  Which is extraordinary.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/erry-2018/12/0e131ca88d8678/10-years-later-the-2008-blizza.html

Edited by Incredulity

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Btw just got a text from a friend in Vancouver WA.  It went from 113 to 75 at his house in 3 hrs since 6pm pacific.  

fucking bizarre 

Sounds like fucking "not that bad". There were many days last summer where it was about 100 still at 8pm in Austin.

Granted... it should never be 113 in the PNW. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sounds like fucking "not that bad". There were many days last summer where it was about 100 still at 8pm in Austin.

Granted... it should never be 113 in the PNW. 

Have you ever lived in the PNW? Air conditioning is not common. 75 right now still probably feels terrible inside. I thought I could handle my first heatwave when I moved to San Francisco (about 5% of homes have AC) from Texas, but 80 degrees at 2 am made sleeping miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yeah it’s pretty unusual. As in hottest temps ever recorded up there unusual. Seattle has 7 days of temps over 100 degrees ever in their history, and 3 of them were this past week.

Three straight days of over 100 for the first time in history.

Hotter today than NYC, WDC and ATL ever has been... 108 downtown, 113 at the airport.

Buckled blacktop on 1-5. Melted power cables in Portland.

Cooler temps are coming, though- 76 in Portland and Olympia currently, 86 in Tacoma

Edited by NWBuck

31 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Have you ever lived in the PNW? Air conditioning is not common. 75 right now still probably feels terrible inside. I thought I could handle my first heatwave when I moved to San Francisco (about 5% of homes have AC) from Texas, but 80 degrees at 2 am made sleeping miserable. 

Did you live there ten or fifteen or twenty years ago?  Right at half of the homes in San Francisco have ac now days.  

3 hours ago, SwAss said:

Especially with no AC, would be hard to tell if those hemorrhoid's be sweating or bleeding at those temps. 

This. Most homes don't have a/c up there. They just don't need it 99.999999999% of the time.

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Did you live there ten or fifteen or twenty years ago?  Right at half of the homes in San Francisco have ac now days.  

Did you read one of the recent articles stating almost half of the homes in the San Francisco metropolitan area have ac? That includes Berkeley and Oakland, which generally are 10 degrees hotter and regularly hit the 80s-90s without the moderating protection of the ocean. AC is virtually nonexistent in SF and many other coastal towns in NorCal, so I imagine things must be pretty rough right now for people up north. 

“Half” still leave half that do not, which still equals a lot of people.  Stay safe, workswithseed.  My house in Bend does not have AC.  And in this area I think I read around 30-something percent have AC but rising every year because uh well “weather patterns.”  Last year for me  this wasn’t a big deal because it usually cools off at night except for maybe a few days in August.  Not to mention not hitting temps this high during the day.  I will be getting in line to get AC installation estimates after this year.

Oh, and on the slightly humorous/sad side, we have guests from Austin that arrived last night who have never been here before and were excited to vacation here.  That’s some bad luck.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Ain't this some shit. I get fucking miserable over anything above 100 and can't come close to imagining a) dealing with this kind of heat without a/c and b) having barely experienced this kind of heat before...evar.

image.png.a084811180a40e9b8374e1b02a4f7fe5.png

image.png.097c994450a578737aff097659454b84.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/29/upshot/portland-seattle-vancouver-weather.html

Edited by bolverk
me talk pretty one day
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Ain't this some shit. I get fucking miserable over anything above 100 and can't come close to imagining a) dealing with this kind of heat without a/c and b) having barely experienced this kind of heat before...evar.

image.png.a084811180a40e9b8374e1b02a4f7fe5.png

image.png.097c994450a578737aff097659454b84.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/29/upshot/portland-seattle-vancouver-weather.html

I read a story yesterday that all the local hotels are getting booked by locals up because they have A/C and many homes up there don't. And the hotels weren't planned or stocked for getting slammed randomly in the summer, so they're running out of food and amenities and the staff are starting to break. It's a bad time. 

But hey, at least they don't have to worry about their power going off because of unseasonable warmth. So they got that going for em.

• Hook 'Em 1