Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

Yeah, apropos of basically nothing, I think the terms "institutional" and possibly "structural" racism get misused, at least by their connotation.  As coined terms I guess they can mean anything.
And the societal thing I think goes back to slavery.  It's really hard to overcome the impressions made when a group of people are forced to live as subhumans or inferiors.  A whole lot of white countries that engaged in slavery never had to integrate that specter into their society because the slavery happened far away or on a tiny scale domestically.  Even if there hadn't been Jim Crow and related subjugations, that's a hell of a thing to get past.
It is, in any event, a low-down shame that black folks have to endure this type of bullshit on a near daily basis.
I think of institutional or systemic racism as processes that result in racist outcomes without requiring individual people to actively pursue racist agendas. It's like residual income or the time value of money. It just works in a certain manner without people purposely making it do so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 3:25 PM, hayden_horn said:

yall know spanky is a known troll, right? why yall engage his intentionally obtuse takes is beyond me.

Or I’m offering up my own personal view, which is different than your’s and other people’s view, but also aligns with yet other people’s view and therefore not trolling. Not all of us are woke like you are. If it weren’t for facts, common sense, critical thinking and the ability to not base arguments on “because it just is”, I’d be on your level.

#goals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have a black neighbor that is a cop.  Not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.

Call the department and ask for proof he's a cop.  "I saw on Nextdoor that the Black Panthers are using fake cop uniforms to case houses and kill whitey.  I just want to be sure I'm safe."

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Has anyone else mentioned to their woman that... not that they would, but definitely don't call the police on people who are just annoying you, especially if they're black?

I keep waiting for one of these things to happen and the husband to come forward and say "Hey, this isn't racism - she frivolously calls the cops on people who bother her of all colors, without discrimination."

That would never make the news story. My next door neighbor in Dallas wrote for the DMN. My wife and I told him about an old Hispanic man we helped out who was attacked near Columbia Avenue by a gang of white kids and ended up with a broken elbow. He was very interested until I told him that he must have misunderstood me. The old man was white and the kids were Hispanic. No longer interested. 

2 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I think it’s undeniable that white folks acting badly is more “newsworthy.”  

Along those same lines you're more likely to see a news story about white people dying say while skydiving, or ziplining, or rock climbing, or swimming with sharks or... well, you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Or I’m offering up my own personal view, which is different than your’s and other people’s view, but also aligns with yet other people’s view and therefore not trolling. Not all of us are woke like you are. If it weren’t for facts, common sense, critical thinking and the ability to not base arguments on “because it just is”, I’d be on your level.

#goals

Don't worry, you may be able to to use those things someday too! Think positive!

A black man who was confronted and asked to leave the pool at the apartment building where he lives in a viral video says he was the victim of racial profiling.

Indiana resident Shayne Holland used his cellphone to record a confrontation between himself and a security guard who was an off-duty Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer last Friday.

The incident happened when he was sitting at the pool at the River Crossing Apartments, where he has lived since February 2017, according to the Indianapolis Star

"I had my headphones when she approached me so I didn't hear her the first time. When I asked her to repeat herself, she asked if I lived in the neighborhood. I said yes," Holland told the Star. "When she asked where I lived, I said I don't know you and you haven't identified yourself, so I'm not just going to give you my address."

The man said he presented the officer, whose name was not immediately available, with a key he was issued from the apartment complex that allows him access to the pool.

The officer then contacted the complex's property manager to confirm Holland was a resident, which the manager did confirm.

But the situation continued to escalate in the video posted on Twitter. The officer, who is wearing a badge, continues to press Holland in the video. He repeatedly says he is uncomfortable giving the officer his address. 

"Why do I need to give this lady, who I don't know, my address?" Holland asks in the video, while noting that he paid $1,600 in rent for the following month. 

Holland was then told to leave the pool by the officer.

"Why do I have to leave my pool?" he asked. 

The manager said in response that the man was being told to leave because he refused to answer the officer, who was working as security while off-duty as a police officer, according to the Star.

Alex Stokely, the vice president of Barrett & Stokely, which manages the apartment complex, told the local publication that the manager has since been placed on leave. The company also added that they are currently investigating the situation.

The security officer was reportedly at the pool because of previous incidents involving nonresidents using the pool, according to the Star.

The viral video is the latest in a series of widely publicized similar incidents captured on video. 

Two black men were arrested in a Philadelphia Starbucks earlier this year while sitting in the cafe without ordering anything.

Another viral video from June showed a white woman, dubbed by social media users as "Permit Patty," calling 911 on a black girl selling bottled water in San Francisco.

Several other incidents have involved confrontations at community pools.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/396601-black-man-asked-to-leave-his-own-pool-by-cop-in-viral-video?amp&__twitter_impression=true

5 minutes ago, retread said:

Narrator was cracking me up. "Lessee where she works...." She left shortly after that.

he was so funny. he started with permit betty but somehwere in there he dropped permit patty, which has appropriate alliteration.

"where she goin'? where she goin'?"

too funny

Or just keep your nose out of other's people business and leave policing to the police and code enforcement. Why is it this lady's job to police whether a person is supposed to be there selling stuff? 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Thread change request:

Cholas calling cops on people of Asian decent. 

Request denied. Assholes calling the police on other people for trivial “offenses” is only a problem if the asshole is white. 

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Or just keep your nose out of other's people business and leave policing to the police and code enforcement. Why is it this lady's job to police whether a person is supposed to be there selling stuff? 

Wait. You are questioning why women do stupid shit? Oh have I got a thread for you!

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

this. just leave well enough alone. i do not understand how this is a difficult concept.

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I would think it's the same reason that people clean up graffiti, pick up the funyon bags that dummy's throw on the ground near the bus stop that blows into the neighborhood or replaces broken windows (Gladwell, holla)... the eyesores and solicitians are generally seen as a nuisance and annoying where these white people are calling the cops, and probably drives down the value of the real estate (at least in their eyes).

Personally, I don't like having to walk past the girl scout cookie people to get to Trader Joe's much less people selling bottles of hot Great Value brand water to people when it's 100 degrees and I'm 2 minutes from the A/C, but I'm not going to call the cops.

A funny response to me, would be for every PoC to call the cops on every lily white person who is selling girl scout cookies in front of tom thumb. That would be hilarious to hear the white outcry of that.

Life is pretty easy to navigate through. Leave these people alone. If you get guilt tripped into buying Girl Scout cookies, you’ve helped a girl and get some Samoas. If you want to buy some lemonade at a stand by a 5-year old, do it or don’t. 

There is a serious element of grandstanding in these Permit Patty videos. If people really are concerned about real estate value going down, then call the police from your house, just as people do when unwanted solicitations occur in my neighborhood (of all types of people). Our cops will shoo them along elsewhere. If some black people are truly causing a disturbance at a pool, you might wanna get the disturbance on video before you get high and mighty. Or just realize they aren’t causing a disturbance, and self-evaluate before you call the police just because you’re a fucking HOA board member.

Well he shamed her fat, nosy ass into running away so what he did worked. Maybe she’ll think twice before she gets back on her high horse.

And how do you interpret this as his feelings getting hurt? He saw a lady being a bitch to a street vendor when she had no cause to be. Is she with that building’s security? Is she part of the management company? Probably not which is why she scurried away. Why is she allowed to harass someone? She got a taste of her own medicine.

Edited by mdmost

Dude seems well balanced. Let’s get this viral so she can be doxxed and fired.

She hurt my feelings.  Fucking snowflake. 

Just keep walking. That vendor wasn't bothering her. It's not like she was slanging on the corner or they had a dice game going in front of the building, but yes of course he is the snowflake in your eyes.

She should have kept walking, she seems cunty. Maybe he just doesn’t have anything better do? Would have been a lot less bitch like to walk to the woman and say, “why not leave her alone?” “There’s no reason to call the cops, chill”.  Instead let’s video and heckle (while fucking up the clever phrase)  

Intentionally trying to get someone viral and fired from their jobs for doing something minor that you disagree seems meek, and weak to me. He should have just handled it like a normal person.  That dude certain she was speaking to the police? Any backstory (maybe the gypsy fucked her over before) that he’s aware of?  Nope. Hey y’all, let’s get this one fired!!  What a bitch. 

• Fuck You 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:04 AM, retread said:

23 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus christ, do people not have anything better to do?

I love how Permit Betty thinks she’s gonna get a sympathic ear on Market Street in fucking San Francisco. You think SFPD or city compliance gives a rat’s ass about unlicensed vendors?  Permit Betty is probably a tourist from SEC country and wanted to brag to all her friends on Facebook about how she owned some libs in SF. 

She should have kept walking, she seems cunty. Maybe he just doesn’t have anything better do? Would have been a lot less bitch like to walk to the woman and say, “why not leave her alone?” “There’s no reason to call the cops, chill”.  Instead let’s video and heckle (while fucking up the clever phrase)  
Intentionally trying to get someone viral and fired from their jobs for doing something minor that you disagree seems meek, and weak to me. He should have just handled it like a normal person.  That dude certain she was speaking to the police? Any backstory (maybe the gypsy fucked her over before) that he’s aware of?  Nope. Hey y’all, let’s get this one fired!!  What a bitch. 
So you claim to think that both people were bitches who should have just left the situation alone. Both of them are threatening a stranger's ability to make a living when it's really none of their business. Yet you're only angry at and talking shit about one of them. Any reason why that might be?
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I love how Permit Betty thinks she’s gonna get a sympathic ear on Market Street in fucking San Francisco. You think SFPD or city compliance gives a rat’s ass about unlicensed vendors?  Permit Betty is probably a tourist from SEC country and wanted to brag to all her friends on Facebook about how she owned some libs in SF. 

I looked through that tweet thread and they identified her as a person who works with Yerba Buena Community Benefit District which is some sort of group that tries to beautify their area in downtown SF. Her area though is 4 blocks away. So she's walking along and sees this vendor, decided to question whether the vendor was supposed to be there or not, even though she has no authority to do so in that area. Again, not her area and now she no longer works for the group as they said she misrepresented what they stand for.  So I hope being vendor permit police was worth it to her. Next time, just move the fuck along. 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/07/13/new-permit-patty-san-francisco-street-vendor-viral-video/

And frankly to fatty's thought that this dude was a bitch, if I'm a black guy, I'm filming every interaction of this kind in case the police come out and try to toss you in jail if the chick claims you're aggressive. It's like bodycam that cops wear. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

She was trying to fuck to that street vendor's money.  Turn about is fair play. Fuck her.