Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

According to the video in this story, the coupon was legitimate and the CVS manager never scanned it. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/16/black-woman-cvs-manager-called-police-coupon/787389002/

Look the manager may be the least racist person in the world. I don't know if he's a racist. I do know he seems very scared of an angry black lady and if the thought is to accuse her of forging a coupon without doing due diligence then you're going to look like a racist for not only calling her a fraud but then doubling down and calling the police on her. I truly think his shaking was him realizing the massive shitstorm her video was about to bring down on his world. So yeah, he chose really poorly. Is he a racist, who knows? I'd imagine this lady was tired of being shit on by white people. Probably tired of being suspected of being a criminal by white people. And now the cell phone camera is her weapon to document what she feels is unfair treatment. 

And you could be 100% dead on balls accurate with that assessment. Maybe he was shaking in rage because he was furious about being filmed by someone that may have been belligerent prior to the start of the recording. (Where she was still a bit belligerent, obviously irritated and a little passive aggressive) Maybe he has a medical condition? I’m not in any way excusing the manager’s behavior. The truth of the matter is that we simply don’t know what his intent was based on due to the limited information provided. As I said, I have zero doubt that the lady thought that she was being treated in that manner due to the color of her skin. Maybe she was. Maybe race had nothing to do with it and she is more sensitive based on previous incidents.

My point is that it’s bullshit that every interaction that goes south between a white and black person is automatically chalked up to racism. It’s equally bullshit that an assertion is made that there is always a double standard where a white person would have gotten away with the behavior or have been treated differently simply because they’re white. That’s simply not true. I don’t think it’s intellectual dishonesty to recognize that yes, these things do occur but no, not nearly at the frequency that’s being reported. I’m personally tired of being told how I am supposed to feel and why I said what I said to someone when I know damn well that racism didn’t have anything to do with it. The accusation has turned into the new #metoo where the guy is automatically deemed guilty without any possible way to defend himself. You bet your ass people want to wield that type of power.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I am not sure what you mean. You took one part of one sentence and made it your whole justification for everything. I do not understand how you do not see the problem with that. There was nothing actually saying any of the negative things you are implying. 

That you are being deliberately obtuse. I have discredited this assertion multiple times for you already, including on this very page. At this point, you’re either trolling or don’t want to try to understand my viewpoint because your bias is too strong. In either instance, it’s not worth my time responding. 

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

That you are being deliberately obtuse. I have discredited this assertion multiple times for you already, including on this very page. At this point, you’re either trolling or don’t want to try to understand my viewpoint because your bias is too strong. In either instance, it’s not worth my time responding. 

Look, I have understood your point. I have stated literally the same thing earlier in this thread (seriously, read my posts on the pool guy). But you are looking a little too hard for any explanation that is not racism. I think you need to ask yourself why.  

"We have no idea what the man was thinking....."

"I have zero doubt that the lady was thought....."

in addition, skip the link that rebuts paragraphs of amateur hour detective work theorizing why the coupon just had to be fake.

oh the farce and stupidity.

4 hours ago, naija said:

"We have no idea what the man was thinking....."

"I have zero doubt that the lady was thought....."

in addition, skip the link that rebuts paragraphs of amateur hour detective work theorizing why the coupon just had to be fake.

oh the farce and stupidity.

1. Can you definitively tell us what the man was thinking or are you just speculating based on the lady’s account of the events? There hasn’t been a single article where the manager has commented. We know what the lady was thinking. She has told us in no uncertain terms. I’m not sure why you think these are controversial statements.

2. What do you mean “skip the link”? 

“Something isn’t adding up though. In one story, per your post, she claims to have received the coupon from the manufacturer. However, in the story I posted, she claims that she thought the coupon was legitimate. Why would you question the legitimacy of a coupon that you claim to have received directly from the manufacturer? Just another example of not taking articles at face value. The same article I posted/assertion appears on multiple other sources’ websites too.

I addressed it directly in my response above posting the picture of the coupon. (#464) Do you have information to suggest that I am misrepresenting either article’s account in any way? 

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

My point is that it’s bullshit that every interaction that goes south between a white and black person is automatically chalked up to racism.

every? there are millions of these interactions all day across the country, where different races interact, the "bad" actor is corrected and life goes on.  we are faaaaaaar from everything being chalked up to racism. 

I don’t think it’s intellectual dishonesty to recognize that yes, these things do occur but no, not nearly at the frequency that’s being reported. I’m personally tired of being told how I am supposed to feel and why I said what I said to someone when I know damn well that racism didn’t have anything to do with it.

been reported?! again, minorities have said this shit happens all the time for decades. we just couldn't document it. if YOU are now getting butthurt that it is being called out after..what, less than 6 months since the starbucks incident then I think you need thicker skin and realize you need to come live in the world we live in, the real one. our version of the world exists and we can't escape it, and it is closer to the truth than you want to admit. The frequency is high for these types of incidents, at least higher than we should want as a civilized society. and no one is saying how you should feel or asking why you said what you said. unless you have examples? in real life, non-shaggy/surl, where did you react that someone called you something you weren't? admitedly (sp?) that sucks, sorry, but i am curious if you just giving made up hypotheticals to counter real life interactions caught on tape.

The accusation has turned into the new #metoo where the guy is automatically deemed guilty without any possible way to defend himself. You bet your ass people want to wield that type of power.

who did that? i'd love to see the newsletter where we're supposed to do that now. like i said earlier, when we have another 10 none of the stories/vids posted of normal interactions being called something they aren't, then i'll believe  we have an issue with someone being "automatically deemed guilty without any possible way to defend" themselves.  so far in this meager 10 page thread there are no examples of noble or exemplary behavior by the "bad/accused" actors. they all include a ridiculous WTF overreaction by the "defenseless" to everyday normal shit. in a way, this could also be the "white people are snowflakes" thread, you need cops for basic social/public interaction????? why so threatened????  And sure, like you point out for the CVS guy some might have alternative rationale for their actions but i'd say the majority, if not for almost all, it is pretty easy to see them for what they are. Calling the cops is an unnecessary escalation first response that originates from a biased point of view. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, achooloco said:

every? there are millions of these interactions all day across the country, where different races interact, the "bad" actor is corrected and life goes on.  we are faaaaaaar from everything being chalked up to racism. 

been reported?! again, minorities have said this shit happens all the time for decades. we just couldn't document it. if YOU are now getting butthurt that it is being called out after..what, less than 6 months since the starbucks incident then I think you need thicker skin and realize you need to come live in the world we live in, the real one. our version of the world exists and we can't escape it, and it is closer to the truth than you want to admit. The frequency is high for these types of incidents, at least higher than we should want as a civilized society. and no one is saying how you should feel or asking why you said what you said. unless you have examples? in real life, non-shaggy/surl, where did you react that someone called you something you weren't? admitedly (sp?) that sucks, sorry, but i am curious if you just giving made up hypotheticals to counter real life interactions caught on tape.

who did that? i'd love to see the newsletter where we're supposed to do that now. like i said earlier, when we have another 10 none of the stories/vids posted of normal interactions being called something they aren't, then i'll believe  we have an issue with someone being "automatically deemed guilty without any possible way to defend" themselves.  so far in this meager 10 page thread there are no examples of noble or exemplary behavior by the "bad/accused" actors. they all include a ridiculous WTF overreaction by the "defenseless" to everyday normal shit. in a way, this could also be the "white people are snowflakes" thread, you need cops for basic social/public interaction????? why so threatened????  And sure, like you point out for the CVS guy some might have alternative rationale for their actions but i'd say the majority, if not for almost all, it is pretty easy to see them for what they are. Calling the cops is an unnecessary escalation first response that originates from a biased point of view. 

Isn’t “This wouldn’t have happened if the victim was white” the same thing as “This incident happened because of racism”? This is what is being claimed by the posters I was responding to. Now we are just parsing semantics. The default judgment is that the lady was racially profiled because white people have a strong sense of unconscious bias, which drove the manager’s actions to deny the coupon and call the police. This is based on the lady’s sole account, the tone of the stories outright claiming that this was racism and the fact that the manager happened to be a Trumpkin running for office. (I suppose you could make the argument that stereotyping is in fact occurring, when you consider his political affiliation) There is zero evidence to suggest that racism was a motivating factor, only speculation of his motivations. Well, technically that’s not true. You could argue that CVS’ apology alludes to discrimination, but I will assume that we can agree that it’s a save face statement to avoid backlash. They aren’t going to fight the social battle for a guy that is obviously a shitty manager and probably should be shit-canned for his actions. It’s not worth the bruises and potential loss of business.

You are taking my comment out of context. “Been reported” meaning viral videos/news stories purporting to show blacks being the targets of racism. I don’t argue for a second that true racism hasn't been occurring for decades and minorities have experienced it their entire lives. What I was trying to convey, perhaps poorly, is that racist incidents don’t occur as often as we are led to believe. Before you jump on that statement, I mean strictly from the perception vs. reality viewpoint. (I.E. An action a black person may perceive as racist may not actually have had racial undertones simply because a white person was the offender) I don’t know that the number of incidents that were clearly racist, but weren’t viewed as such by a black person, is worth discussing or that this even occurs.

Who did what? Falsely claim themselves as a sexual assault victims? I’m not sure what you are referring to. I assume that you aren’t referring to racism being the default judgment. If so, see my first response or re-read the last few pages.

Edited by Spankytoes

Yesterday I stopped at a dollar general store to grab some Motrin.  I got to the register and there were 3 black ladies and 2 kids in line ahead of me.  They got pretty testy when they thought they had been overcharged for a disposable lighter.  Eventually the female clerk (hispanic) had to leave to find someone in the management chain to negotiate a settlement.  It was done, and the charges were changed from 1.50 to 1.35.  So basically I had spent 10 minutes of my life over a 15 cent discrepancy. 

Thing is, I was at first shaking my head, all this over 15 cents.  But on the other hand, I saw it as a principle thing on the part of the ladies.  That store had mis-priced something and they were not backing down on their mistake, or at least the original clerk felt uncomfortable with doing so. 

I have been there before, been overcharged.   I understood.  I got treated just like her in a similar instance where i had been overcharged, or they had attempted a bait and switch on me.  And I reacted angrily too.  But for a while yesterday, while I was being inconvenienced by this lady's attempt to make sure she wasn't screwed, I forgot those times I had been where she was.  I think maybe it is because I am older, white and male and I am used to clerks being deferential to me.  I don't imagine on the whole they are as deferential to that lady.   In the end, the  lady apologized to me, as well as the two employees.  She said she had rights to be charged fairly.  I agree.

I think it was just the way she did it that initially set me against her.  It was just not just how i would have done it.  But then she came from a different upbringing than I did.  Maybe in her case she learned early on the squeaky wheel gets the grease, not that you you get more flies with honey than vinegar. 

We are all different in how we perceive and approach things.  We need more tolerance.  Employees out there have to take an incredible amount of rude, ignorant shit.  And I am not saying race isn't playing a part in how we treat each other.  What I am saying is we are going so fast we seldom stop to put ourselves in someone else's shoes and maybe look at things from a different standpoint.  

• Like 8

On 7/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, Pancho Negro said:

This sounded kinda like bullshit for a minute, because getting a food handling permit is probably annoying as fuck and expensive, at least from the perspective of young Master Faulkner.

But it is true.  https://www.teenvogue.com/story/someone-called-authorities-on-13-year-old-jaequan-faulkner-hot-dog-stand-permit

On 7/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Lovett posted the video on social media, and within hours, the Internet came calling on Whitman. How? He had spoken his mind from behind the wheel of his company van, with the name and phone number of his business right there on the driver’s side door.

The retaliation was immediate. If Whitman felt entitled to follow, confront and demean a stranger from the seat of his marked company van, thousands of strangers felt obliged to punish him for it.

They shared his image online, overloaded his voicemail and flooded consumer websites like Yelp with hundreds of negative reviews, complete with images of the Ku Klux Klan and Hitler.

“Your type is not wanted in this country any longer, nor are your ‘heating and cooling services’ ever needed again,” reads one.

All of this has had the intended effect.

“I’m out of business, I’m completely out, I’m done, I’ll never work in Columbus again,” he says. “This has completely and thoroughly ruined my life.” The message ends abruptly.

Stating the obvious here, driving to a stranger’s house to harass the person with racial slurs is not a “mistake.” It is a chosen course of action. It is stupid and small-minded and threatening and a host of other descriptions now attached to Whitman’s name for Internet eternity.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180729/theodore-decker-racist-words-blow-back-on-man-family-and-business

Edited by retread