Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

or Oklahoma. 

Foster wants to go to the Olympics. He was interviewed on IG this week and when asked if he could win a NC or Super Bowl or go to the Olympics which would he choose — and he chose Olympics. He knows that his best chance to develop as a thrower is at Texas (noting Piperi’s development under Sion). OU can sell him a lot of things on the OL and his redass mother will let him go there without a hissyfit but his lifelong friends/teammates AND his best shot at the Olympics are both in Austin and anyone who doubts both is full of shit — and that includes his mother. Foster rejoining on the heels of his discussion of the Olympics is ... interesting to me. 

on his infamous spreadsheet— if his dad was actually being honest and unbiased with the data — they’d have the throwing programs and their chances of getting Foster to the Olympics listed accordingly and weighted — but of course  if they did that he’d already be at tu. Whoop.  

A counter argument that OU may be selling is that football players have successfully played two sports at a high level in Norman. I don't know how effective that pitch is when one of the sports is weak, but that may be their strategy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

A counter argument that OU may be selling is that football players have successfully played two sports at a high level in Norman. I don't know how effective that pitch is when one of the sports is weak, but that may be their strategy.

They are doing a hell of a job with basketball this year. There’s already at least one that will play both but it sounds like up to 3 of your likely commits will be playing football and basketball, so Riley is certainly capable of getting the AD unified and on message, for sure. 

15 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Coach Biden would love that 😘

So you weren’t content with just being the fucking idiot posting make believe bullshit — you had to remove all doubt as to what a fucking idiot you are and go politics. 

motherfuck I wish we had a recruiting board specific mod.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

You guys can't seriously think the criticism and dismay surrounding this decision is only from Football board posters who don't follow recruiting?

Everyone and their mother acknowledged at the start of the cycle that this year's OL class would not be a success without the Brockermeyers. Instead it's the recruiting posters, the guys who should know better, who are now regurgitating the usual "it's fine, we didn't really need him/we'll find a 3-star gem to replace him" takes. I only have to go back a couple of months to find both the $9.95-ers and @Longhorn94-type insiders still assuring us that the Brockermeyers will probably end up here. Nothing about our dismal offensive performance last year changed in those few months, so what happened? Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

The Walker Little situation aside, this is definitely the worst recruiting miss of Herman's tenure so far here, and it comes at a time when Hand is already having problems elsewhere. OL classes like 2021 don't come around very often, and losing this recruitment is a pretty definitive sign that this staff cannot survive on selling hope any longer. And I'm not even going to get into the further damage that a cancellation of the 2020 season would cause.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You guys can't seriously think the criticism and dismay surrounding this decision is only from Football board posters who don't follow recruiting?

Everyone and their mother acknowledged at the start of the cycle that this year's OL class would not be a success without the Brockermeyers. Instead it's the recruiting posters, the guys who should know better, who are now regurgitating the usual "it's fine, we didn't really need him/we'll find a 3-star gem to replace him" takes. I only have to go back a couple of months to find both the $9.95-ers and @Longhorn94-type insiders still assuring us that the Brockermeyers will probably end up here. Nothing about our dismal offensive performance last year changed in those few months, so what happened? Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

The Walker Little situation aside, this is definitely the worst recruiting miss of Herman's tenure so far here, and it comes at a time when Hand is already having problems elsewhere. OL classes like 2021 don't come around very often, and losing this recruitment is a pretty definitive sign that this staff cannot survive on selling hope any longer. And I'm not even going to get into the further damage that a cancellation of the 2020 season would cause.

It obviously sucks on a talent level. Tommy's good at football, we wanted him. I think the fact that the people in the know knew this was coming, and that Blake turned out to be a snowflake douchecanoe, means that we're past the despair/anger stage and the reaction can mostly be making fun of Blake.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is a colossally inaccurate and dumb fucking post.  It I’m not going to waste my buzz typing a long response tonight. But a fucking lot if not a majority of folks knew the Brocks weren’t coming here months ago. Don’t cite one poster and blanket everyone else on this board as some kind of consensus. No one is saying we’re fine and a 3 star gem will replace the Brocks. Fucking no one. At best, folks are saying it isn’t a death knell to the program. And it isn’t. Take my point about Clemson’s OL the past 5 years as an illustration. Just fucking stop. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

The fact we were in year 3 and it was a legitimate possibility should tell you all you need to know.

You even said he was better at handling SJW matters than coaching so not sure why you feel the need to defend him.

If you have the stomach for it, go back and look at the roster that Herman inherited from Strong.  It's pretty bad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Would anyone here trade Cosmi for Little at this point?  Anyone?  Cosmi will go higher in the draft.  He punked the LSU DL.  He punked the Georgia DL.  All the scouts watched those games.  There’s a reason he’s a top 15 pick.  He will go higher than any Bama OL this year.  

Then you have Kerstetter.  Another 3 star that started as a true freshman at RT.  He’s one of the best pass blocking players in college football and can play multiple positions.  He’s going to get drafted as well.

Christian Jones was a fucking great take.  They flipped Hookfin from Matt Rhule, one of the best evaluators on football.  He’s going to be very good in time.

Do you not see the problem with this line of thinking?

You just wishcasted four separate events (Cosmi going in the 1st round, Kerstetter being one of the best pass-blocking linemen in college football and getting drafted, Jones being a "fucking great" take, and Hoofkin becoming "very good in time") into existence and then used it as definitive proof for why we don't need a guy with talent like Brockermeyer. Recruiting simply does not work this way, and there are years and years of evidence to back this up. Not to mention that this requires accepting plenty of $9.95-er Kool-Aid at face value.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

Brockermeyer is certainly a miss but this is called going full Satya. In the last 4 classes (not including the transition class) Herman has a blue-chip ratio of 71%. I'm pretty sure that's top 5 in the country in the last 4 cycles. If not it's certainly in the top 8. I calculated this a few weeks ago and I'm fairly certain Herman was 4th or 5th in the blue-chip ratio since the '18 class. 

The idea that Brockermeyer signals a deeper problem with blue-chip targets is just dumb when the last 4 cycles Texas has a 71% blue-chip ratio. Two recruits (who have a helicopter dad) aren't indicative of the bigger picture. 

Be pissed all you want about missing on the Brockermeyers but don't reach with hilarious takes like this when Herman has been near the top in landing blue-chip targets. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It obviously sucks on a talent level. Tommy's good at football, we wanted him. I think the fact that the people in the know knew this was coming, and that Blake turned out to be a snowflake douchecanoe, means that we're past the despair/anger stage and the reaction can mostly be making fun of Blake.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

• Like 1

Everyone and their mother acknowledged at the start of the cycle that this year's OL class would not be a success without the Brockermeyers. Instead it's the recruiting posters, the guys who should know better, who are now regurgitating the usual "it's fine, we didn't really need him/we'll find a 3-star gem to replace him" takes. I only have to go back a couple of months to find both the $9.95-ers and [mention=1117]Longhorn94[/mention]-type insiders still assuring us that the Brockermeyers will probably end up here. Nothing about our dismal offensive performance last year changed in those few months, so what happened? Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

I can almost hear a Morrissey song while reading this post.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Everyone and their mother acknowledged at the start of the cycle that this year's OL class would not be a success without the Brockermeyers. Instead it's the recruiting posters, the guys who should know better, who are now regurgitating the usual "it's fine, we didn't really need him/we'll find a 3-star gem to replace him" takes. I only have to go back a couple of months to find both the $9.95-ers and [mention=1117]Longhorn94[/mention]-type insiders still assuring us that the Brockermeyers will probably end up here. Nothing about our dismal offensive performance last year changed in those few months, so what happened? Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

giphy.gif

Brockermeyer is certainly a miss but this is called going full Satya. In the last 4 classes (not including the transition class) Herman has a blue-chip ratio of 71%. I'm pretty sure that's top 5 in the country in the last 4 cycles. If not it's certainly in the top 8. I calculated this a few weeks ago and I'm fairly certain Herman was 4th or 5th in the blue-chip ratio since the '18 class. 
The idea that Brockermeyer signals a deeper problem with blue-chip targets is just dumb when the last 4 cycles Texas has a 71% blue-chip ratio. Two recruits (who have a helicopter dad) aren't indicative of the bigger picture. 
Be pissed all you want about missing on the Brockermeyers but don't reach with hilarious takes like this when Herman has been near the top in landing blue-chip targets. 

Guys, we should obviously be signing anyone we want. We’re Texas. What starts here changes the world

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Shots fired, I repeat shots fired.

Damn, I've been Satya'd..

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Just to be clear, your argument is that this is the biggest miss since Walker Little, and we had to settle for a 3-star that's been developed and is probably 50-50 to be drafted higher than Little? The one thing this staff does extremely well is identify talent. I have no idea if they'll find another Cosmi this year, but I'm not overly concerned about getting back 3 scholarships because we missed on one kid (Tommy). Give this staff 3 scholarships to find a contributing lineman, and I feel good about that. It's definitely a loss, but it's not the end of the fucking world.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a colossally inaccurate and dumb fucking post.  It I’m not going to waste my buzz typing a long response tonight. But a fucking lot if not a majority of folks knew the Brocks weren’t coming here months ago. Don’t cite one poster and blanket everyone else on this board as some kind of consensus. No one is saying we’re fine and a 3 star gem will replace the Brocks. Fucking no one. At best, folks are saying it isn’t a death knell to the program. And it isn’t. Take my point about Clemson’s OL the past 5 years as an illustration. Just fucking stop. 

I kinda figured it wasn't going to happen when they offered James and the Brocks didn't jump on board. There was no reason two kids with the ties to Texas that they have should not have committed on the spot once they received their offers. 

It would be great to have them, but the point about Clemson is interesting. The best OL they have recruited, signed, and developed under Dabo was a 5 star, who became an AA, and went undrafted by the NFL. Just hard to project a HS OL 4-5 years later.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

those 2022 and 2023 Alabama games are going to be fucking nuts and if you think Herman is an asshole now, just wait until he brings the full force of his spiteful rage. 

Hahaha you think Herman will be here in 2022? Possibly. Not a chance in hell that he’s the coach in 2023.

• Fuck You 11

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I kinda figured it wasn't going to happen when they offered James and the Brocks didn't jump on board. There was no reason two kids with the ties to Texas that they have should not have committed on the spot once they received their offers. 

It would be great to have them, but the point about Clemson is interesting. The best OL they have recruited, signed, and developed under Dabo was a 5 star, who became an AA, and went undrafted by the NFL. Just hard to project a HS OL 4-5 years later.

Eh for the record I think as far as projection goes Tommy is as close to a sure thing draft pick as you can get. Similar to Little.