Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Can't wait to see McCutchin get bodied in the EZ for TDs in Dallas... but then I realize, he probably hits the portal within a year being on campus in Norman..  All bark, no bite.

It's funny you think he'll actually play. Dude will be passed up and he'll portal to Abilene Christian 

Eric Nahlin: The permanent benefits of recruiting at Texas

The same song, different verse nature of Texas recruiting isn’t lost on UT fans. It’s not lost on us either. Each year with regards to recruiting it seems we write the same things we did the year before. Something to the effect of “Texas is in good early standing with the bulk of the state’s elite talent,” or, “another top-three class, put it in stone.” Oof. Unless you’re Gerry in a South Florida spin class with the Golden Girls hoping to atrophy a little less today than you did the day before, the word cycle should conjure the standard definition to recruitniks: a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order.

In that way, UT recruiting cycles have been almost literal in recent years. There’s excitement, followed by a couple of big commitments, followed by momentum, followed by more commits, followed by a disappointing season leading to no-mentum, and finally, a sputtering finish. But somehow, some way, momentum begins anew at the onset of the next cycle. That’s the privilege of being a still-proud blue-blood in a talent rich state with much to offer beyond football.

The last part of the most recent sentence is very important: Texas starts each cycle with major advantages no other school in the state has. Because of that, recruits want to give Texas the benefit of the doubt. When we say Texas is in a strong position at the beginning of each cycle, it’s with merit. There are a few notable factors for why that is.

Flagship school: The school is synonymous with the state and that will never change. This is still a factor even for a prospect like 2022 athlete Jarred Kerr, a move-in kid from Florida who has never seen Texas play consistently well. The school sells itself.

Childhood favorites: The Texas quarterback pipeline alone includes four players who grew up as big of a fan of the school as you: Austin Westlake’s Sam Ehlinger, Lake Travis’ Hudson Card, Austin High’s Charles Wright, and Southlake Carroll’s Quinn Ewers all dreamed of playing at UT like you dreamed of gaining admission. And we’re only talking quarterbacks here. An aside, with three Austin area signal callers in the fold, the school should be able to put the Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Baker Mayfield nut-kicks behind it.

Campus life: I know a few ex-players whose career didn’t go as planned but don’t for a second regret going to Texas. Their college experience, outside of football, couldn’t have gone better. This is where you share similar experiences with the players. You remember the parties, the pretty girls, the vibrance of walking around campus. Being in college is fun and going to UT is the authentic college experience. This is palpable on visits.

Academics: Academics can be whatever you want it to be. If you’re not there to play school, there will be a curriculum for you. Interestingly, those players, with added maturity, tend to come back and get their degree. I’m sure they appreciate UT even more at that point. Even if academics aren’t a huge priority to the player, they are almost universally important to parents. If putting the student in student-athlete is important to a prospect, it will be one of the key selling points, especially for those recruits whose parents have influence. A good example is Joseph Ossai. Ossai’s father was extremely focused on academics. He wanted his son to be an engineer, and truth be told, Joseph could probably pull it off. However, with the time constraints of football he currently has an undeclared major. By now he’s probably thinking he should become an accountant so he can keep a watchful eye over his future earnings, but when it counted during recruiting, academics did its part. It also helps that Texas has a wide variety of highly regarded degree plans. UT is much more than McCombs.

Network: Even more so than academics, networking is what you make of it. Players won’t be gifted high paying jobs; they have to do their part but they’re given plenty of opportunities to network. What they do with those opportunities is up to them. There are ways to improve the network, but it does exist for those who are entrepreneurial. There are plenty of ex-players who benefit from their time at Texas who are making a great, better than NFL minimum, living.

NIL: With a forward thinking AD, a huge fanbase spanning the country and a robust Austin market, Texas is in a fortuitous position to capitalize on the new NCAA rules allowing players to monetize their name, image, and likeness. Recently, the program gave itself even more leverage.

Coaching staffs come and go, a little too fast lately. The seasons come and go too, a little too slow lately. But what I listed above is permanent and that’s how UT is always in favorable position with the next wave of prospects.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

The same song, different verse nature of Texas recruiting isn’t lost on UT fans. It’s not lost on us either. Each year with regards to recruiting it seems we write the same things we did the year before. Something to the effect of “Texas is in good early standing with the bulk of the state’s elite talent,” or, “another top-three class, put it in stone.” Oof. Unless you’re Gerry in a South Florida spin class with the Golden Girls hoping to atrophy a little less today than you did the day before, the word cycle should conjure the standard definition to recruitniks: a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order.

In that way, UT recruiting cycles have been almost literal in recent years. There’s excitement, followed by a couple of big commitments, followed by momentum, followed by more commits, followed by a disappointing season leading to no-mentum, and finally, a sputtering finish. But somehow, some way, momentum begins anew at the onset of the next cycle. That’s the privilege of being a still-proud blue-blood in a talent rich state with much to offer beyond football.

The last part of the most recent sentence is very important: Texas starts each cycle with major advantages no other school in the state has. Because of that, recruits want to give Texas the benefit of the doubt. When we say Texas is in a strong position at the beginning of each cycle, it’s with merit. There are a few notable factors for why that is.

Flagship school: The school is synonymous with the state and that will never change. This is still a factor even for a prospect like 2022 athlete Jarred Kerr, a move-in kid from Florida who has never seen Texas play consistently well. The school sells itself.

Childhood favorites: The Texas quarterback pipeline alone includes four players who grew up as big of a fan of the school as you: Austin Westlake’s Sam Ehlinger, Lake Travis’ Hudson Card, Austin High’s Charles Wright, and Southlake Carroll’s Quinn Ewers all dreamed of playing at UT like you dreamed of gaining admission. And we’re only talking quarterbacks here. An aside, with three Austin area signal callers in the fold, the school should be able to put the Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Baker Mayfield nut-kicks behind it.

Campus life: I know a few ex-players whose career didn’t go as planned but don’t for a second regret going to Texas. Their college experience, outside of football, couldn’t have gone better. This is where you share similar experiences with the players. You remember the parties, the pretty girls, the vibrance of walking around campus. Being in college is fun and going to UT is the authentic college experience. This is palpable on visits.

Academics: Academics can be whatever you want it to be. If you’re not there to play school, there will be a curriculum for you. Interestingly, those players, with added maturity, tend to come back and get their degree. I’m sure they appreciate UT even more at that point. Even if academics aren’t a huge priority to the player, they are almost universally important to parents. If putting the student in student-athlete is important to a prospect, it will be one of the key selling points, especially for those recruits whose parents have influence. A good example is Joseph Ossai. Ossai’s father was extremely focused on academics. He wanted his son to be an engineer, and truth be told, Joseph could probably pull it off. However, with the time constraints of football he currently has an undeclared major. By now he’s probably thinking he should become an accountant so he can keep a watchful eye over his future earnings, but when it counted during recruiting, academics did its part. It also helps that Texas has a wide variety of highly regarded degree plans. UT is much more than McCombs.

Network: Even more so than academics, networking is what you make of it. Players won’t be gifted high paying jobs; they have to do their part but they’re given plenty of opportunities to network. What they do with those opportunities is up to them. There are ways to improve the network, but it does exist for those who are entrepreneurial. There are plenty of ex-players who benefit from their time at Texas who are making a great, better than NFL minimum, living.

NIL: With a forward thinking AD, a huge fanbase spanning the country and a robust Austin market, Texas is in a fortuitous position to capitalize on the new NCAA rules allowing players to monetize their name, image, and likeness. Recently, the program gave itself even more leverage.

Coaching staffs come and go, a little too fast lately. The seasons come and go too, a little too slow lately. But what I listed above is permanent and that’s how UT is always in favorable position with the next wave of prospects.

Hey Nahlin...

CXkLj9w.gif

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

i can tell you right now this isnt true especially on campus thots

whoever wrote this has clearly never talked to a 2nd/3rd/4th year player on the team

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

i can tell you right now this isnt true especially on campus thots

whoever wrote this has clearly never talked to a 2nd/3rd/4th year player on the team

I need visual aids to see if I agree with your take or not.  Like can you provide three examples of thots you find attractive?

There’s still boatloads of hot chicks at UT. But just walking around the campus in recent years it’s very clear that the rising academic standard is hurting the talent pool. 

Don’t know what UT was like way back in the day, but I had older cousins that went to UT in the early-mid 2000s. I, um, really enjoyed visiting them. I was convinced there was no greater collection of babes on the planet. 

• Like 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Notes on targets nearing decisions

Positive news.  No cheese puns.  No Greek/Egyptian shit.  What's not to like?

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes on targets nearing decisions

MikeRoach

—It sounds like Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba was close to a decision a few days ago, but things may have changed. That isn’t a total surprise as he told Horns247 a few weeks ago that he wanted to make his commitment before September 7, but now it looks like Mukuba could push his decision out even further. It’s tough to get a handle on this recruitment. Any time I start to get any sort of good feeling about where things stand with Texas, I get information that directly refutes that. I still believe this will come down to Texas and Clemson, and right now I continue to lean slightly towards the Longhorns. That said, I’d be lying if I told you I had any firm grasp on Mukuba right now. He’s done a masterful job concealing his recruitment and keeping coaches and media members guessing. I’m leaving my Crystal Ball on Texas, but I don’t feel great about it either way. We will continue to dig and see what we can find. If Texas misses on Mukuba, I still believe they have a strong defensive back group and potential for a big class next year.

—In the past few weeks, I wrote about how Arkansas made a push back for Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson. Texas seemed to be in the driver’s seat following a self-guided visit over a month ago, but Arkansas came back tough recently. In fact, the buzz I heard was enough for me to change my 247Sports Crystal Ball to the Razorbacks. With talk that a commitment could be coming soon, I wasn’t sure there was anything Texas could do to change the momentum. It sounds like there might be a window opening for Texas to jump back into the race. I hate flipping a pick back and forth many times, but it’s conceivable I could soon be putting my confidence back in Texas. If the Longhorns can capitalize on this window, they could outlast Arkansas for the four-star talent. We will be watching this race closely over the next few days to keep our finger on the pulse.

—Texas will have a lot of options in 2022 when it comes to the defensive back group. We’ve talked about the in-state guys like Austin Jordan, Jaylon Guilbeau, Denver Harris, Chace Biddle and out of state guys Kamari Wilson, Isaac Thompson and Domani Jackson. Add the name Jaeden Gould to the list of out of state prospects in the secondary Texas is in a good spot for. The four-star cornerback from Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic told me that Texas is high on his list and he loves the relationship he’s building with Jay Valai. It’s still early, but sources I talk to are optimistic about the chances Texas has in this race.

—I talked to a source near Denton Ryan defensive tackle Bear Alexander.  The four-star prospect tweeted about being near a decision and that sounds like it could be the case.  He's definitely tired of the recruiting process at this point and he's been recruited since his freshman season.  A source told me that Texas recently had Alexander on a FaceTime with the entire defensive staff recently and Texas is trying to increase the pressure on him.

Edited by Getafix
Typo, mfs. Just a typo.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Eric Nahlin and Hamilton (both of InsideTexas---I think) are doing a free zoom talk on recruiting and new coaches right now on Zoom for McCombs alums.  Google it, link is still there, free to join.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Eric Nahlin and Hamilton (both of InsideTexas---I think) are doing a free zoom talk on recruiting and new coaches right now on Zoom for McCombs alums.  Google it, link is still there, free to join.

Can I join if I actually majored in something difficult?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2