Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

It'll be Bijan > Rojo > Brooks in that order this year. I hate to even say this, but sometimes competition doesn't matter. See Josh Jacobs. 

I'm not even insinuating that Brooks is Jacobs, just saying the jump can happen and he won't have to be "the guy" immediately. I'm sure he'll play plenty which will help down the line. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Probably wishful thinking, but with the Ingram transfer, I'd be selling potentially being the third stringer to early enrollee LJ Johnson 

I love RoJo and his selflessness, but if LJ came, he would pass RoJo on the depth chart by the end of the year--just like Bijan did.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Are there any other RBs worth looking at if we miss on both LJ and Wheaton? I'm tired of entering the season short a player or two at that position.

The top transfer name currently out there is actually a familiar one - Deondrick Glass: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

That said, we're not even midway through transfer season. Likely to be more names coming out.

High school backs are largely locked up: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=RB

Wonder if the Judson kid at #53 is any good?

Edited by texifornia

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Are there any other RBs worth looking at if we miss on both LJ and Wheaton? I'm tired of entering the season short a player or two at that position.

I get 2021 season depth concerns, but I think we'll only take transfers if they're clear starters. I think Sark is going to inject elite talent into the program in recruiting and in the transfer market, and any transfers we take for depth are directly taking a spot away from recruiting elite transfers. I believe we have six spots left if Ibra and the WR commit sign, and some of those spots might be saved for next year's class/transfers 

• Hook 'Em 2

If we don’t sign LJ or Wheaton, then Brooks is likely to get some run sooner than later.

There are small school kids who make the adjustment every year. I won’t  pretend to know how Brooks will do, but some of y’all are acting like it’s unprecedented, and that’s stupid.

The kid did what you were supposed to do against inferior talent, he dominated.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If we don’t sign LJ or Wheaton, then Brooks is likely to get some run sooner than later.

There are small school kids who make the adjustment every year. I won’t  pretend to know how Brooks will do, but some of y’all are acting like it’s unprecedented, and that’s stupid.

The kid did what you were supposed to do against inferior talent, he dominated.

It's not that Brooks will be bad or anything, it's the implication that he's going to hit campus after playing kids from small-town schools and immediately be better than RoJo. There's almost definitely going to be an adjustment period.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's not that Brooks will be bad or anything, it's the implication that he's going to hit campus after playing kids from small-town schools and immediately be better than RoJo. There's almost definitely going to be an adjustment period.

people forget there was an adjustment period for Bijan as well. His runs at the end of the year were much different than his runs at the beginning. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well yeah, he’s not going to be better than Rojo his first year. No one who is reasonable expects that. 

I don’t think LJ or Wheaton would immediately surpass Rojo either. Rojo is a solid #2 back.

7 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Since when was Jordan Whittington a QB in HS???????

The only high school game I ever saw him play was his senior year state championship game.

He got quite a few direct snaps in that game.....like he was playing QB.

Yeah, yeah. He was technically a WR.....but he sure lined up a lot as a RB and even a QB.

Looking at a potential two class WR stack for us, and one WR sticks out like a sore thumb

2021:
Xavier Worthy
Jaden Alexis
Keithron Lee
Casey Cain

2022:
Evan Stewart
Brenen Thompson
Armani Winfield
Chris Marshall/Jordan Hudson/Caleb Burton/random OOS stud

Looking at a potential two class WR stack for us, and one WR sticks out like a sore thumb

2021:
Xavier Worthy
Jaden Alexis
Keithron Lee
Casey Cain

2022:
Evan Stewart
Brenen Thompson
Armani Winfield

Is worthy a realistic option? I guess if he gets out of his LOI then anything is possible.

55 minutes ago, Fud said:

I get 2021 season depth concerns, but I think we'll only take transfers if they're clear starters. I think Sark is going to inject elite talent into the program in recruiting and in the transfer market, and any transfers we take for depth are directly taking a spot away from recruiting elite transfers. I believe we have six spots left if Ibra and the WR commit sign, and some of those spots might be saved for next year's class/transfers 

Given just ... everything, I haven’t kept up with numbers the way I normally would. If guys like Mpagi and the back from Georgia with the head injury wind up going med schol and there’s some usual attrition associated with a new staff, will Texas not be able to max out a class in this upcoming cycle? 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

2021:
Xavier Worthy
Jaden Alexis
Keithron Lee
Casey Cain

2022:
Evan Stewart
Brenen Thompson
Armani Winfield

Same with this one. I checked out in the spring and haven’t caught up with viewing recruits/signees yet, so who is it that you’re thinking actually sticks out? Cain?

Just now, nycHorn said:

Is worthy a realistic option? I guess if he gets out of his LOI then anything is possible.

There's not a lot of info out there to go by, but Michigan only has a few more days to get him enrolled at the most I think, and it seems like Texas makes the most sense if he goes elsewhere since Bama finished 2nd in that recruitment

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

2021:
Xavier Worthy
Jaden Alexis
Keithron Lee
Casey Cain

2022:
Evan Stewart
Brenen Thompson
Armani Winfield

The nascar driver? 

874F8406-5A0B-4BA4-84B2-86AC240B5ED1.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Since when was Jordan Whittington a QB in HS???????

Well he ran for 334 yards in the title game mainly from the QB position, and that is what led us to decide he could be a RB instead of a WR when he came in as a freshman because Brown was our other RB signee and had a medical issue.  

Just now, closetojumping said:

Given just ... everything, I haven’t kept up with numbers the way I normally would. If guys like Mpagi and the back from Georgia with the head injury wind up going med schol and there’s some usual attrition associated with a new staff, will Texas not be able to max out a class in this upcoming cycle? 

Same with this one. I checked out in the spring and haven’t caught up with viewing recruits/signees yet, so who is it that you’re thinking actually sticks out? Cain?

The limit is due to the 25 counter per class number, so attrition doesn't help there. After Black, Schooler, Watson, Ibraheem, Lee, and Dunn are included, I came up with six spots available, which can be used now or later in 2022. Others can check my math in they want. 

Cain seems Jordan Pouncy'ish to me. Worthy is a bit of a leap of faith; he's an early enrollee who's apparently having trouble getting into Michigan early because of some mid-year requirement they have that other schools don't, and word is he'll look elsewhere if he can't get in. Bama finished second in his recruitment, and word is he's interested in Texas if not Michigan 

7 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Also, I dunno about Whittington carrying the ball at rb.  Dude is always banged up, even playing slot.  

Agree.  Wasn't arguing for Whittington to be moved back to RB.  Was simply stating that we can't count on Brooks to be a stud next year.  Small school high school ball surprisingly doesn't necessarily translate to immediate college success.  Doesn't mean Brooks can't be great.  Just means there is going to be a period of adjustment and we shouldn't count on him for immediate help.  

9 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

Small school.  Whittington was awesome as a QB running it too.  Brooks can be great.  He's got balance and vision.  That is a great skillset.  But what used to be a hole in his games vs small school teams, isn't going to be a hole going forward.   It's not his fault or a sign that he can't figure it out.   It's just going to take time to adjust.  

Another thing is he won't be able to power through tacklers like he did at that level. 

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's not a lot of info out there to go by, but Michigan only has a few more days to get him enrolled at the most I think, and it seems like Texas makes the most sense if he goes elsewhere since Bama finished 2nd in that recruitment

1. Did he sign a LOI with Michigan?
  2. If he did, isn't he bound to Michigan unless they release him from the LOI?
  3. Even if they don't let him enroll early, the LOI is the same for early and late signees, isn't it?

Just now, BornOrange said:
  1. Did he sign a LOI with Michigan?
  2. If he did, isn't he bound to Michigan unless they release him from the LOI?
  3. Even if they don't let him enroll early, the LOI is the same for early and late signees, isn't it?

Yes, yes, and yes. But it's a really bad look on Michigan's part if they don't release a kid who wants to enroll early, but who isn't getting in when they told him that he'd get in. They'd basically just be delaying the inevitable out of spite. I'm not sure the mechanics of what he'd do next, is he allowed to enter the portal yet? 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yes, yes, and yes. But it's a really bad look on Michigan's part if they don't release a kid who wants to enroll early, but who isn't getting in when they told him that he'd get in. They'd basically just be delaying the inevitable out of spite. I'm not sure the mechanics of what he'd do next, is he allowed to enter the portal yet? 

I guess it's a matter of how open they were with him.

If he knew about the early qualification issues and still signed, Michigan would be just in saying he knew what he was getting into and should wait until the summer.

If he didn't know about the early qualification issues, Michigan should release him from his LOI.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Another thing is he won't be able to power through tacklers like he did at that level. 

Yep.  And he likely won't even be on the field that much until he proves he can pick up blitzes.  He wasn't ever asked to do that in high school.  Their offense was give it to Brooks and get out of the way.  I don't necessarily agree with how long our coaches have historically held out freshman for their perceived lack of knowledge or what have you.  But there is certainly a learning curve.  That is part of the reason Bijan didn't get as much play early on as well.  ROJO is going to be the #2 back next year.  Which is fine because he is pretty darn good.  Doesn't mean Brooks can't be good long term.  It just is what is is.  

2 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I guess it's a matter of how open they were with him.

If he knew about the early qualification issues and still signed, Michigan would be just in saying he knew what he was getting into and should wait until the summer.

If he didn't know about the early qualification issues, Michigan should release him from his LOI.

Here's the Michigan 247 post and thread, for those who want to follow

Spoiler

Lots of rumblings on this front for the last couple of days out of the Pylon event. Xavier wasn't there, but that's where and when it picked up steam. Made it over to 247's Texas site referenced in a post below.

Here's what I can tell you... it's a delicate situation that is being worked on. No amount of reporting on it, or calling/messaging the kid about it will speed things up. As a matter of fact, that could upset the situation. It already has (not due to anything done by anyone here thankfully). You won't see me writing on this until the outcome is settled.

The scenarios are as follows...

Best case scenario: they get the early enrollment figured out.

Compromise scenario: Early enrollment doesn't get worked out, but he sticks with Michigan and reports in the summer with the rest of the class.

Worst case scenario: he asks out of his NLI and early enrolls elsewhere.

I think the compromise scenario is the most likely. Time will tell.

Will post more on this when I can.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Board/102410/Contents/On-the-Xavier-Worthy-questionsposts-158993155/

And here's Roach's post on it

— I spoke to a source today who indicated that Texas might be in play for a Michigan signee. Four-star Fresno (Calif.) Central East wide receiver Xavier Worthy chose the Wolverines but flirted with the idea of flipping to Alabama before signing day. I'm told there may be an issue with Worthy enrolling early at Michigan, and he could ask for a release from his letter. If that happens, I'm told Texas is a strong candidate. Steve Sarkisian was his primary recruiter at Alabama and a huge reason he gave the Crimson Tide some consideration down the stretch. There are still a lot of what ifs to take place, but this is an intriguing storyline to watch for the Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The top transfer name currently out there is actually a familiar one - Deondrick Glass: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

That said, we're not even midway through transfer season. Likely to be more names coming out.

High school backs are largely locked up: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=RB

Wonder if the Judson kid at #53 is any good?

What do I say. Never sign a Katy RB. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Here's the Michigan 247 post and thread, for those who want to follow

Hide contents

Lots of rumblings on this front for the last couple of days out of the Pylon event. Xavier wasn't there, but that's where and when it picked up steam. Made it over to 247's Texas site referenced in a post below.

Here's what I can tell you... it's a delicate situation that is being worked on. No amount of reporting on it, or calling/messaging the kid about it will speed things up. As a matter of fact, that could upset the situation. It already has (not due to anything done by anyone here thankfully). You won't see me writing on this until the outcome is settled.

The scenarios are as follows...

Best case scenario: they get the early enrollment figured out.

Compromise scenario: Early enrollment doesn't get worked out, but he sticks with Michigan and reports in the summer with the rest of the class.

Worst case scenario: he asks out of his NLI and early enrolls elsewhere.

I think the compromise scenario is the most likely. Time will tell.

Will post more on this when I can.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Board/102410/Contents/On-the-Xavier-Worthy-questionsposts-158993155/

And here's Roach's post on it

— I spoke to a source today who indicated that Texas might be in play for a Michigan signee. Four-star Fresno (Calif.) Central East wide receiver Xavier Worthy chose the Wolverines but flirted with the idea of flipping to Alabama before signing day. I'm told there may be an issue with Worthy enrolling early at Michigan, and he could ask for a release from his letter. If that happens, I'm told Texas is a strong candidate. Steve Sarkisian was his primary recruiter at Alabama and a huge reason he gave the Crimson Tide some consideration down the stretch. There are still a lot of what ifs to take place, but this is an intriguing storyline to watch for the Longhorns.

Yes please, we need this dudes speed. Would immediately be the best receiver in the 21 class. Please fuck this up Michigan 

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Interesting. It's so late it's gotta be commitable.

https://247sports.com/player/jkolbe-bulock-46084997/

Smart kid. He jumped on it.

@golfclap you tend to know some of the under-the-radar recruits in the state - any insight into this kid?

Edited by texifornia