Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

The 1s looked sharp on offense. Receivers had the separation we've seen from Yurcich's OSU days (I realize UTEP is a steaming pile of garbage, but still).

Hope JoJo was watching.

Texas Tech defense continues to be dog shit - they just gave up 30+ points to one of the worst teams in FCS.   Another great opportunity to roll up yards/points to impress recruits. 

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas Tech defense continues to be dog shit - they just gave up 30+ points to one of the worst teams in FCS.   Another great opportunity to roll up yards/points to impress recruits. 

It will also look nice on his Heisman application. He'll be behind Lawrence for most of the year, but if he beats ou and continues this streak no way he loses it. It'd be bad ass to reward him with it even though it's pretty worthless, but will show that he came when we were down and brought us to the top. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It will also look nice on his Heisman application. He'll be behind Lawrence for most of the year, but if he beats ou and continues this streak no way he loses it. It'd be bad ass to reward him with it even though it's pretty worthless, but will show that he came when we were down and brought us to the top. 

Show. Me. A. Loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Not if the rest of the big 12 keeps playing like it is. That was down right embarrassing. 

Edited by NorLa Horns
I have big fingers
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Not if the rest of the big 12 keeps playing like it is. That was down right embarrassing. 

Look, all that Spider is saying is that is that if Sam continues his one game streak of throwing for 400 yards and 5 TDs that Sam will win the Heisman. Don’t get bogged down in details like figuring out how one game is a streak. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Foster is a damn good player. He should have been seeing more playing time unless he is in the doghouse.

Not at Safety. He doesn’t have the movement skills for that spot. He’s a hybrid player and needs to be at LB, but he showed up to camp at 195, which is less than he weighed as true freshman. Something’s definitely off with him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not at Safety. He doesn’t have the movement skills for that spot. He’s a hybrid player and needs to be at LB, but he showed up to camp at 195, which is less than he weighed as true freshman. Something’s definitely off with him. 

Yeah, something is off with him. I hope he gets it figured out

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Foster is a damn good player. He should have been seeing more playing time unless he is in the doghouse.

He didn't win the job in a meritocracy

I'm guessing that, similar to Anthony Cook, he had dreams of being a three and done early draft entry, and not winning the job early your junior year shatters those dreams, and he couldn't handle it 

I think Estell will be a fine backup at safety, although I'm not sure if we have a great backup option at nickel

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lotta concussions.  CTE is a possibility. Beating up cars isn't a normal thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm guessing that, similar to Anthony Cook, he had dreams of being a three and done early draft entry, and not winning the job early your junior year shatters those dreams, and he couldn't handle it 

I think Estell will be a fine backup at safety, although I'm not sure if we have a great backup option at nickel

Give it a few more weeks and Xavion could excel on his cunning and guile alone, imo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Estell was already getting reps in the UTEP game in the first half over Foster. Foster is probably the 4th safety on the roster right now. Cook is the backup at nickel right now isn't he? 

Foster's best hope of getting significant playing time is to realize he's a LB but if he's 195 pounds not sure how realistic that is now. 

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like another scholarship just opened up:

Thanks to @nycHorn

TFB....

As you know, there have been reports regarding BJ Foster quitting the team and leaving yesterday’s game during the game.

I spoke with sources. Am told that he did indeed leave the game out of frustration.

But, I am told that he has already apologized to coach Ash. He is set to meet with the whole staff and it sounds like he is repentant for the decision and will express that to the coaches.

I know in the football world walking away from your team is seen as the unforgivable sin. And, I get that. But I do believe that when you consider the staff changes, the external pressures on the kids through Covid and social unrest and the fact the Foster went from being a star defensive player to a back up, it would be wise to consider this situation more carefully.

I do believe that if he does express his remorse (again, I’m told he has and will in a more formal meeting) the coaches will make path for him to redeem himself. And, I personally would agree with that position

• Hook 'Em 4

If BJ agrees to move to LB, get his weight up, and do all the right things with his apologies, he should remain on the team. 

Disagree on the position switch. We recruited him as a safety and he wants to play safety. His desire to continue down that path should only affect his playing time, not his team membership.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Nick Harris: Week three stats and results from Texas targets and commits

The high school football season is slowly picking up pace for Texas commits and targets as recruits in the Lone Star State playing in conferences 1A through 4A are now three weeks into their season. While the small schools get some love in Texas, high school ball is beginning to start up in other states around the country. Here are the stats and results from Texas targets around the country from week three:

2021 Commits

Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks - 9 carries, 145 yards, 4 rushing touchdowns, 1 reception, 66 yards, 1 receiving touchdown in Hallettsville's 49-7 win over Ganado.

Kennedale safety JD Coffey - 1 interception in Kennedale's 27-25 win over Sunnyvale. Coffey is now at 15 career interceptions.

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski - Bishop Kenny fell to Episcopal School of Jacksonville 42-38 in their opening game of the season.

2022 Targets

Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe wide receiver Talyn Shettron - 4 receptions, 121 yards, 3 touchdowns in Santa Fe's 42-35 win over Edmond North.

Lexington athlete Jarred Kerr - 3-for-6 passing, 46 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, 25 carries, 231 rushing yards, 3 touchdowns, 17 tackles, 1 interception in Lexington's 35-34 win over Rockdale.

Spearman athlete Brenen Thompson - 5 total touchdowns (1 rush, 1 interception return, 1 kickoff return, 2 receiving), 8 receptions, 108 receiving yards in Spearman's 48-27 win over Dalhart.

2023 Targets

El Campo running back Rueben Owens - 14 carries, 107 yards, 1 touchdown in El Campo's 39-27 loss to Port Lavaca Calhoun.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lexington athlete Jarred Kerr - 3-for-6 passing, 46 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, 25 carries, 231 rushing yards, 3 touchdowns, 17 tackles, 1 interception in Lexington's 35-34 win over Rockdale.

Spearman athlete Brenen Thompson - 5 total touchdowns (1 rush, 1 interception return, 1 kickoff return, 2 receiving), 8 receptions, 108 receiving yards in Spearman's 48-27 win over Dalhart.

Now, those are two small-school athletes playing "go win the game" for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Now, those are two small-school athletes playing "go win the game" for sure.

This sounds pretty good. Is it good?

Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks - 9 carries, 145 yards, 4 rushing touchdowns, 1 reception, 66 yards, 1 receiving touchdown in Hallettsville's 49-7 win over Ganado.

54 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

I've tried to keep the channel updated with every single game since I started it years ago. There's a few holes and a few shitty quality ones, but I've got that all figured out for this year.

Thanks! I’ve been subscribed for a few seasons now. It’s nice to be able to rewatch.