TCU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Great game to be at today......Congrats Horns!! Awesome season. Make it last longer and onto Omaha!

Was out @ Occupy LF before the game and saw a guy that I thought looked like CDC. Shrugged it off as he was in a polo and khaki shorts and thought it couldn't or wouldn't be him mingling amongst the tailgates.....I was wrong. Turns out it was as I recognized him post game with Pierce, Coaches, and players with the Big 12 Trophy/Bowl presentation on the field. Guy is totally the opposite of that "dick" Patterson that tried to ruin UT athletics and particularly the Baseball atmosphere around the Disch. 

• Like 1

Not quite sure I'd go that far.  We've had a bit of luck with better teams (Tech?  OSU?) not taking care of business.  And we've had our share of wtf this year, early season notwithstanding.

I did say a few days ago that it did seem like he was getting the team primed for post-season.  I'm anxious to see what a team comprised of mostly his recruits can do, but remain worried about the pitching coach situation.

The in-game interviews with Kingham and Shugart and others seem to indicate that he's pretty well-liked, which frankly was kind of hard to tell. He's pretty stone-faced in the dugout and last year's batch didn't seem to like him or something about him very much.  Not sure what you might expect from player interviews, but they seem to hold him and Garrido in fairly equal esteem.

We shall see, but I think things are looking up.

• Like 1

I ain’t over thinking it. We are big 12 champs outright and swept those pesky mother fuckers on a weekend that really mattered. That’s Texas baseball magic. I don’t care who the coach is. Out. Right. Big 12 Champs. Choke on that bitches.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tailleur17 said:

Correct. Conference baseball championships mean nothing at Texas. We don’t put those on the wall. 

Win in Omaha. 

If we don’t win in Omaha, I doubt he gets 20 years.  Just sayin.  Hope we can get on a run in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, troph said:

I ain’t over thinking it. We are big 12 champs outright and swept those pesky mother fuckers on a weekend that really mattered. That’s Texas baseball magic. I don’t care who the coach is. Out. Right. Big 12 Champs. Choke on that bitches.

Yeah baby! Gritty team back half of the season.

7 hours ago, Tailleur17 said:

Correct. Conference baseball championships mean nothing at Texas. We don’t put those on the wall. 

Win in Omaha. 

Definitely correct.

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

If we don’t win in Omaha, I doubt he gets 20 years.  Just sayin.  Hope we can get on a run in the playoffs.

Without a doubt I agree, but let's enjoy this.

Remember where we were 2-3 years ago. Hell, remember where we were, mid/late March @ 9-9. This, regional, hopefully super, UT-Omaha are all something to build on....

We are conference champs and going to host a Regional.   That's good improvement for year 2, particulrly given that we lose two pitchers to injury prior to the season.

Whatever happens from here is upside for this year, but everybody knows that nothing really matters short of trips to and wins in Omaha.  If we get closer this year, great, but for now we are at least appearing to be on the right track.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We are conference champs and going to host a Regional.   That's good improvement for year 2, particulrly given that we lose two pitchers to injury prior to the season.

Whatever happens from here is upside for this year, but everybody knows that nothing really matters short of trips to and wins in Omaha.  If we get closer this year, great, but for now we are at least appearing to be on the right track.

Pierce has done pretty well with I think a suboptimal roster that isn't his fault.  However, given the 4.5+ ERA, there has to be a bit of luck involved.  That is obviously unsustainable. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pierce has done pretty well with I think a suboptimal roster that isn't his fault.  However, given the 4.5+ ERA, there has to be a bit of luck involved.  That is obviously unsustainable. 

Yep, the pitching staff is inconsistent right now, and for that reason I won't be anticipating a deep run in the postseason. What's important is that we're on an upward trajectory as a program, based on the results of this season, and with the facility improvements and recruiting classes coming in, there's no reason we won't get better. If one year from now our weak points have not been mitigated to some degree, then I'll start to be concerned. For now, I'll celebrate the successes of this year.

Edited by Machinator

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And I still would have absolutely bitten your hand off for even a fluky conference title during the Stanford series.

Thankfully no one here thinks a regular season championship is good enough - it’s all about CWS appearances and deep runs there with championships at least once or twice a decade. But barring a 2-and-que outing in our own regional - this year will be a great success. I think the expectation should be that Texas hosts and wins its own regional so a competitive but loss at home in the regionals will cause some justified consternation. Even still - where we are today is light years ahead of where we were two years ago as a program. Assuming we are competitive in the regional, I’ll gladly take this year and be satisfied.

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Baylor had the best ERA and the second best batting average in conference. 

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate them on winning the conference.

Texas fans will just have to wait another year.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm satisfied with this season as is. I was actually pleased in Baton Rouge.  This is a team that when they get rogered with their pants on they fight back.  Even if they do not win.  Things are loads better than when we went 700+ days without a conference series win a few years back.

Edited by petscii