5-7 Bowl eligible?

Steelers Roll Left

Tough one, because I don’t know what Sark is planning. If Pk is staying and this is the defense for next year, I guess the practices would be helpful. I say I don’t want to watch, but I will pour a glass of bourbon and yell at the TV if Texas is a Bowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Then don't watch.

Oh I probably will anyway, because I'm a glutton for punishment...but it's annoying when certain players on the field clearly don't give a fuck, and have played like they don't give a fuck for most of the season.  Thank God some of those people finally got benched today.  But if they're going to play like they don't even care if they are on the field, why should we go out of our way to watch them not give a shit?

Hopefully the turnaround starts now.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If we want to go to a bowl, I guess we need Iowa State to beat tcu, correct?

toads not looking good right now... Late 2nd Qtr

Cyclones   17       toads   7

Edit... toads just scored  (Now 17-7)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm guessing if he leaves it up to the team they will vote yes. They want the swag, and will want to play. I say decline, and concentrate on recruiting. 

I may be wrong but I thought if you get a bowl invite then you have to accept per big12 rules? I didn't think the school could turn down a bowl invite....

2 minutes ago, JMFP said:

I may be wrong but I thought if you get a bowl invite then you have to accept per big12 rules? I didn't think the school could turn down a bowl invite....

Could be, and wouldn't be surprised. They want their cut off tv revenue. 

11 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

So does this have an actual chance of happening or is the media just reaching? 

From article link on page 1:

Of the 10 spots still available, four will be grabbed by winners of 5-6 vs. 5-6 games. That will make 76 bowl-eligible teams, leaving six slots. But only three other 5-6 teams are favored this week, so if form holds, three bids will go to 5-7 teams based on APR.

Just four potential 5-7 teams are ahead of Texas in the APR pecking order, and two — Middle Tennessee and Rutgers — can get bowl-eligible with wins over fellow 5-6 teams. A third, Washington, needs to upset Washington State in the Apple Cup to reach 5-7. The fourth team, California, is 4-6 and an underdog to UCLA before closing Dec. 4 against USC, which also is 4-6. Texas' 974 APR is tied with Florida, which will host Florida State in one of the 5-6 vs. 5-6 showdowns. If the Longhorns and Gators each finish 5-7 and one bowl bid is left, maybe they'll do a Final Jeopardy question to decide it.…”

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Might be wrong, but focusing on recruiting, and rebuilding the roster/staff seems like the better choice for SARK right now.  

Also with so many Seniors who "walked" today, not sure how much depth would be available in the crappy bowl game -- might see a lot of Texas players opt out of playing in the bowl game... 

Well, maybe a Covid outbreak becomes an issue ??      /s

2020 Kansas State 

Spoiler

Kansas State pauses workouts, won't go to a bowl game

Kansas State said on Wednesday that it had paused all football activities due to COVID-19 and wouldn’t be accepting a bowl bid.

“This has been an unbelievably challenging year for everyone, but we were very excited to have the opportunity to end the season in a bowl game,” Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor said. “But, with new positive cases and additional close contacts in our program, we would not have enough players to continue practices and field a team for the bowl game. I want to thank our student-athletes and coaches for their tireless effort this year and for being flexible during a time when every day presented new challenges.”

Kansas State will end the season at 4-6. The Wildcats would have likely gone to a bowl game thanks to the pandemic-induced NCAA rule that allows teams below .500 to accept bowl invitations.

I’d take a bowl invite just for the practices. Just sit anyone who’s at all banged up and play young guys as much as possible. Basically treat it like an NFL preseason game. 

And I don’t think a shit bowl game would take much attention at all from recruiting, staff changes, etc. It’s not like Sark is gonna go watch a full season of tape and spend days gameplanning for it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Teams have opted out in the past...

Schools opting out of bowl games

• Boston College

• Georgia Tech

• Pitt

• Virginia

• Stanford

• Virginia Tech

• Kansas State

• Louisville

• UCLA

• Utah

• USC

• San Diego State

• Penn State

• Washington State

• Arizona State

• Minnesota

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-bowl-tracker-stanford-becomes-the-latest-school-to-decline-a-bowl-invitation-214725223.html

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas, in its current state, is still more attractive than the 5-7 University of South Dakota School for Miners and School Marms (Spearfish).

Unfortunately, by NCAA rule, it’s not a popularity contest for 5-7 schools.  The 5-7 schools with the highest academic rating get the bowl bids.  Texas is near the top of that list so it’s just a matter of home many 5-7’s are needed to fill out the ridiculous number of bowl games

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I’d take a bowl invite just for the practices. Just sit anyone who’s at all banged up and play young guys as much as possible. Basically treat it like an NFL preseason game. 

And I don’t think a shit bowl game would take much attention at all from recruiting, staff changes, etc. It’s not like Sark is gonna go watch a full season of tape and spend days gameplanning for it. 

No shit, he hasn't done that once all season, why would he start now?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Just four potential 5-7 teams are ahead of Texas in the APR pecking order, and two — Middle Tennessee and Rutgers — can get bowl-eligible with wins over fellow 5-6 teams. A third, Washington, needs to upset Washington State in the Apple Cup to reach 5-7. The fourth team, California, is 4-6 and an underdog to UCLA before closing Dec. 4 against USC, which also is 4-6. Texas' 974 APR is tied with Florida, which will host Florida State in one of the 5-6 vs. 5-6 showdowns. If the Longhorns and Gators each finish 5-7 and one bowl bid is left, maybe they'll do a Final Jeopardy question to decide it.…”

Well, we all know Sark isn't going to win Final Jeopardy, so no bowl game it is.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Might be wrong, but focusing on recruiting, and rebuilding the roster/staff seems like the better choice for SARK right now.  

If you’re worth a damn as a coach, you’re doing both all the time with little rest. Having what should be no less than 60% of your roster next year getting another month of practice and beating the shit out of them in the process is a no brainer. You will have plenty of time to recruit. 

Our recruiting class is sorely lacking linemen, as every class we have always is. I’d focus on hitting the portal hard for 5-7 OL and DL, and seeing who makes it through what I would make a hell month. 

2 hours ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

Casey Thompson needs to let his thumb rest and recover for the rest of his life.  

What a weird post (not yours). Yeah, Sark is looking for an out for an additional 4 weeks of practice. And a mediocre QB having a sore thumb provides that out. Get fucking real. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

If you’re worth a damn as a coach, you’re doing both all the time with little rest. Having what should be no less than 60% of your roster next year getting another month of practice and beating the shit out of them in the process is a no brainer. You will have plenty of time to recruit. 

Our recruiting class is sorely lacking linemen, as every class we have always is. I’d focus on hitting the portal hard for 5-7 OL and DL, and seeing who makes it through what I would make a hell month. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I agree if a HC can’t prepare for a bowl and simultaneously be recruiting and preparing for new assistant coaches, is he a very good HC?

Also, any press is good press, right? I’d rather play in some shit bowl on national Tv and get the underclassmen more reps. If we lose, we’ll have to convince the top recruits they can come in right away and help fix it…which is the same position we’d be in with them if we didn’t go to a bowl game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

5-7 seems kind of short for linemen, but at least they'd have the low pad level part down.

• Haha 3

We should go out to that ocean place with the nice hotel and bikini gals.  Actually I would like this team to receive a gift i thanks for hanging with this program and to build.

next year bitches!  Mor!  🤘

Mor RoCat!  He is the King Horn and I would like his reign to continue!🤘

12 minutes ago, hadtoaddresssometingisaw said:

List of the 20 teams one win away from bowl eligibility entering thanksgiving weekend.

FSU/Florida & Maryland/Rutgers play tomorrow, and c-USA has teams all in different games in there tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG_2924.thumb.jpg.3cca73c712355b949a54ffa5b512d5c9.jpg

c-USA has 5 teams with one game with game with the almost  bowl eligible teams tomorrow there tomorrow. Charlotte and ODU

I think Sark’s answer in the post gamer eludes to him not wanting to play the game. He says banged up, but I’d bet it’s more of a “I’m done with this group” mindset. I think he’s ready to move on to the off-season, and playing in a bowl game delays that. Only way I think he gets value out of practicing and playing a bowl game is if he commits to playing younger players who will be around next year…treat it like an NFL pre-season game (mentioned above).

My opinion matters for jack shit but if there aren't enough 6 win bowl teams and we are granted an invite and the team votes to go...shit I am all in. Evaluate everyone. Play the whole damn team as much as we can and see what we have. My caveat to this would be injuries...BUT for certain players I would like this. Even if it is the Bahama Bowl or what the fuck ever. If we got an invite and team voted no that's fine too. Obviously, wouldn't want any team with 6 wins (regardless of the tv eyes we bring) to be left out in favor of us but from what I understand that shit won't happen?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I think Sark’s answer in the post gamer eludes to him not wanting to play the game. He says banged up, but I’d bet it’s more of a “I’m done with this group” mindset. I think he’s ready to move on to the off-season, and playing in a bowl game delays that. Only way I think he gets value out of practicing and playing a bowl game is if he commits to playing younger players who will be around next year…treat it like an NFL pre-season game (mentioned above).

*alludes*

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

He may be eluding the bowl practices/game, but he didn’t allude to anything in presser. 

This year is so weird, and so different.

I will cheer for Texas if they get a bowl game.   

However, I'm reminded of 2017, when UTSA won their 6th game, but were passed over for a Bowl Game.  Now we are talking about 5 win teams. Just an odd year. 

• Hook 'Em 1