Jump to content
texifornia

2020 QB/ATH Hudson Card

Recommended Posts

Sounds like a variant of turf toe. There are two main muscle/tendon units that run under/to the great toe: flexor hallucis longus (FHL) and flexor hallucis brevis (FHB). The latter runs only as far back as the hindfoot, whereas FHL comes from the leg itself. Additionally, FHB has sesamoid bones embedded in it at the base of the great toe (like tiny kneecaps under the ball of the great toe) that are typically contiguous with the joint capsule there (plantar plate). Turf toe is usually the common term applied to an injury to the plantar plate there at the first metatarsophalangeal joint (MTP1).
If they are talking about a tendon that runs from the heel to the toe but is part of a longer muscle/tendon unit, that would be FHL. Either way, a partial tendon tear is often amenable to nonoperative treatment. He is probably done for the season, IMO. Sometimes you treat one of these non-surgically only to convert later after things don't get well-- adds to the overall timeline and could potentially make this stretch into spring ball. One hopes that will not be the case here. The good news is that sewing up foot tendon splits and/or partial tears is not usually technically challenging. If two team docs like nonop care though, it sounds good to me.
edit: there are some other things like adductor hallucis that go to the great toe that would not generally fit the bill and were therefore left out of my answer.

Ya, the adductor hallucis is no joke. I’ll comment more if that diagnosis becomes relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sounds like a variant of turf toe. There are two main muscle/tendon units that run under/to the great toe: flexor hallucis longus (FHL) and flexor hallucis brevis (FHB). The latter runs only as far back as the hindfoot, whereas FHL comes from the leg itself. Additionally, FHB has sesamoid bones embedded in it at the base of the great toe (like tiny kneecaps under the ball of the great toe) that are typically contiguous with the joint capsule there (plantar plate). Turf toe is usually the common term applied to an injury to the plantar plate there at the first metatarsophalangeal joint (MTP1).
If they are talking about a tendon that runs from the heel to the toe but is part of a longer muscle/tendon unit, that would be FHL. Either way, a partial tendon tear is often amenable to nonoperative treatment. He is probably done for the season, IMO. Sometimes you treat one of these non-surgically only to convert later after things don't get well-- adds to the overall timeline and could potentially make this stretch into spring ball. One hopes that will not be the case here. The good news is that sewing up foot tendon splits and/or partial tears is not usually technically challenging. If two team docs like nonop care though, it sounds good to me.
edit: there are some other things like adductor hallucis that go to the great toe that would not generally fit the bill and were therefore left out of my answer.

Yeah, none of this sounds right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sounds like a variant of turf toe. There are two main muscle/tendon units that run under/to the great toe: flexor hallucis longus (FHL) and flexor hallucis brevis (FHB). The latter runs only as far back as the hindfoot, whereas FHL comes from the leg itself. Additionally, FHB has sesamoid bones embedded in it at the base of the great toe (like tiny kneecaps under the ball of the great toe) that are typically contiguous with the joint capsule there (plantar plate). Turf toe is usually the common term applied to an injury to the plantar plate there at the first metatarsophalangeal joint (MTP1).

If they are talking about a tendon that runs from the heel to the toe but is part of a longer muscle/tendon unit, that would be FHL. Either way, a partial tendon tear is often amenable to nonoperative treatment. He is probably done for the season, IMO. Sometimes you treat one of these non-surgically only to convert later after things don't get well-- adds to the overall timeline and could potentially make this stretch into spring ball. One hopes that will not be the case here. The good news is that sewing up foot tendon splits and/or partial tears is not usually technically challenging. If two team docs like nonop care though, it sounds good to me.

edit: there are some other things like adductor hallucis that go to the great toe that would not generally fit the bill and were therefore left out of my answer.

 

Well ...

amanda seyfried halloween costumes GIF

 

 

If you had to pick - other things being equal - put me on Team Longus as opposed to Team Brevis!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Watching on LHN, had no idea Card is the highest rated QB Texas has landed since GG

I believe it. Think about our QB's since Colt: Gilbert, Ash, Swoopes, Heard, Buechele and Ehlinger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I just realized UA game is on. Anyone know if Card has played yet?

He was the starting QB for his side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked really, really, really good. I've watched every U.S. Army game since 2006 and every UA game since the first one, and I don't drink the cool aid. I watch specifically for UT recruits and generally come away disappointed. It's just hard to showcase athleticism with only a few days of practice and a bunch of guys who have never played together before.

But Card was different. He really stood out. I don't remember a quarterback in this game with a faster release and more accurate pass than him. Honestly, he reminded me a lot of Colt with his zip, accuracy, and ability to extend plays with his feet. And I don't say that lightly. He would see a receiver going across the middle, and boom, the ball was in the receiver's hands. Even with good coverage, he was finding windows and fitting the ball in where only his receiver could get it. And in high school. I'm really excited to see what he can do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

He looked really, really, really good. I've watched every U.S. Army game since 2006 and every UA game since the first one, and I don't drink the cool aid. I watch specifically for UT recruits and generally come away disappointed. It's just hard to showcase athleticism with only a few days of practice and a bunch of guys who have never played together before.

But Card was different. He really stood out. I don't remember a quarterback in this game with a faster release and more accurate pass than him. Honestly, he reminded me a lot of Colt with his zip, accuracy, and ability to extend plays with his feet. And I don't say that lightly. He would see a receiver going across the middle, and boom, the ball was in the receiver's hands. Even with good coverage, he was finding windows and fitting the ball in where only his receiver could get it. And in high school. I'm really excited to see what he can do here.

You seem to have a thing for tiny hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Is it good to have two Adam’s apples?

That’s where he keeps his tobacco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Is it good to have two Adam’s apples?

Not sure. Let's see your mug shot.

If he can play for Texas as well as he has in high school he will look like millions to me .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

 

 

11 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Is it good to have two Adam’s apples?

Two Adam's apples OK, extra chromosomes sign with A&M. That's the rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Card signed here with the Longhorns.

He has my full support and should have anyone that has all their chromosones and claim to be supportive of this program.

Tired of all the shit being talked about his hands and body features. 

Who gives a shit. If he loves Texas and wants to come here and help this program win, we should be excited to have him.

19 hours ago, Wishbone said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex Karev said:

Card signed here with the Longhorns.

He has my full support and should have anyone that has all their chromosones and claim to be supportive of this program.

Tired of all the shit being talked about his hands and body features. 

Who gives a shit. If he loves Texas and wants to come here and help this program win, we should be excited to have him.

 

Welcome to Surly, Mr. Card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Is it good to have two Adam’s apples?

Twice the man as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Card signed here with the Longhorns.

He has my full support and should have anyone that has all their chromosones and claim to be supportive of this program.

Tired of all the shit being talked about his hands and body features. 

Who gives a shit. If he loves Texas and wants to come here and help this program win, we should be excited to have him.

 

who cares family guy GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Card signed here with the Longhorns.

He has my full support and should have anyone that has all their chromosones and claim to be supportive of this program.

Tired of all the shit being talked about his hands and body features. 

Who gives a shit. If he loves Texas and wants to come here and help this program win, we should be excited to have him.

 

Most of us are missing a few chromosomes, so you’ll need to take your judgement elsewhere.

Personally, I don’t care if he has three Adam’s apples, toddler hands, a hunchback, puffy nipples, and a FUPA as long as he’s a good QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Card signed here with the Longhorns.

He has my full support and should have anyone that has all their chromosones and claim to be supportive of this program.

Tired of all the shit being talked about his hands and body features. 

Who gives a shit. If he loves Texas and wants to come here and help this program win, we should be excited to have him.

 

3l6bcl.jpg

 

Chill. We all hope he wins 4 Heismans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, Longhorn94 said:

Anyone? Bueller? 

Spoiler

There have been many stories written about the newest Texas quarterback signee here at Inside Texas.

Hometown kid. Born a Longhorn fan. Led one of the best football programs in the state to deep runs in the playoffs. Elite 11 finalist. Georgia begged for him on his porch. He didn't go to Athens, but rather hit a flight for Orlando, FL last week for the Under Armour All-American game.

If Hudson Card wasn't a household name then, he is now. The 6-foot-2.5, 182-pounder arrived at UA and made serious waves. His practice performances only cemented his status as a stud. Coaches and instructors raved about the dual-threat. When the lights came on for the game, Card shined. He threw two scoring strikes (one was called back by penalty) with the composure of a grizzled veteran. The quiet, soft-spoken kid from Lake Travis flashed his accuracy, athleticism, and arm strength on ESPN's stage.

I caught up with the four-star talent and future Texas signal-caller. With no disrespect to fellow 2020 QB signee Ja'Quinden Jackson, we're probably looking at Sam Ehlinger's heir apparent.

Inside Texas: What was the UA experience like?

Hudson Card: "Really cool. I got to meet some great guys and coaches and build new relationships. I think the practices helped me more than anything. The speed of the game was an adjustment, and I'm expecting that to carry over to Texas in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it gives me a little advantage."

IT: Your HS career is officially over. Has that sunk in yet?

HC: "A little bit. It started sinking in when my friends went back to school this week and I'm at home. That's hilarious to them."

IT: You ran a very similar offense at LT that you'll run at Texas. How will that help you get adjusted to the playbook you're about to receive?

HC: "We ran a lot of similar concepts and terminology. The Texas offensive playbook is complex. Coach Stein (former Lake Travis OC, current UTSA WR coach) added some stuff he got from his time with Texas to our playbook last year. That'll definitely help. I'm just excited to get started."

IT: What are your freshman goals when you're officially in the Texas program?

HC: "I just want to compete. To be the best me I can be. Nail the playbook. Listen to Sam (Ehlinger). I need to add weight and strength, keep my nose down and the rest will take care of itself."

IT: You'll have a new offensive coordinator, Mike Yurcich. He recruited you early at Oklahoma State...

HC: "Coach Yurcich is a great guy. We attended a basketball game during a visit and just talked for hours. He's easy to relate to, and he coaches you hard, which is what I want. Plus, he loves to throw the ball. I can't wait."

The thing about Card that stood out to me was how much his senior year compared to Ehlinger's at Westlake. He was injured early in the season, passed on surgery with the chance to lead his squad in the playoffs, showed up in the 6A state quarterfinals and put on a show. Card and the Cavs lost the following week to back-to-back 6A D1 state champion North Shore in a valiant effort.

Big shoes to fill for Mr. Card. I don't think he'd want it any other way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Hide contents

There have been many stories written about the newest Texas quarterback signee here at Inside Texas.

Hometown kid. Born a Longhorn fan. Led one of the best football programs in the state to deep runs in the playoffs. Elite 11 finalist. Georgia begged for him on his porch. He didn't go to Athens, but rather hit a flight for Orlando, FL last week for the Under Armour All-American game.

If Hudson Card wasn't a household name then, he is now. The 6-foot-2.5, 182-pounder arrived at UA and made serious waves. His practice performances only cemented his status as a stud. Coaches and instructors raved about the dual-threat. When the lights came on for the game, Card shined. He threw two scoring strikes (one was called back by penalty) with the composure of a grizzled veteran. The quiet, soft-spoken kid from Lake Travis flashed his accuracy, athleticism, and arm strength on ESPN's stage.

I caught up with the four-star talent and future Texas signal-caller. With no disrespect to fellow 2020 QB signee Ja'Quinden Jackson, we're probably looking at Sam Ehlinger's heir apparent.

Inside Texas: What was the UA experience like?

Hudson Card: "Really cool. I got to meet some great guys and coaches and build new relationships. I think the practices helped me more than anything. The speed of the game was an adjustment, and I'm expecting that to carry over to Texas in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it gives me a little advantage."

IT: Your HS career is officially over. Has that sunk in yet?

HC: "A little bit. It started sinking in when my friends went back to school this week and I'm at home. That's hilarious to them."

IT: You ran a very similar offense at LT that you'll run at Texas. How will that help you get adjusted to the playbook you're about to receive?

HC: "We ran a lot of similar concepts and terminology. The Texas offensive playbook is complex. Coach Stein (former Lake Travis OC, current UTSA WR coach) added some stuff he got from his time with Texas to our playbook last year. That'll definitely help. I'm just excited to get started."

IT: What are your freshman goals when you're officially in the Texas program?

HC: "I just want to compete. To be the best me I can be. Nail the playbook. Listen to Sam (Ehlinger). I need to add weight and strength, keep my nose down and the rest will take care of itself."

IT: You'll have a new offensive coordinator, Mike Yurcich. He recruited you early at Oklahoma State...

HC: "Coach Yurcich is a great guy. We attended a basketball game during a visit and just talked for hours. He's easy to relate to, and he coaches you hard, which is what I want. Plus, he loves to throw the ball. I can't wait."

The thing about Card that stood out to me was how much his senior year compared to Ehlinger's at Westlake. He was injured early in the season, passed on surgery with the chance to lead his squad in the playoffs, showed up in the 6A state quarterfinals and put on a show. Card and the Cavs lost the following week to back-to-back 6A D1 state champion North Shore in a valiant effort.

Big shoes to fill for Mr. Card. I don't think he'd want it any other way.

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to watch the Card and JQJ competition. 

Seems like I change my mind every week about who is going to come out on top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

It will be interesting to watch the Card and JQJ competition. 

Seems like I change my mind every week about who is going to come out on top. 

i dont really care. im just excited we got both of them and we will better off because of it regardless of who wins. If JQJ can beat out Hudson, that means he is a stud QB who should lead us to a national title. Same going the other way.  And to think Milroe comes in after these guys!  QB room looks good moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont really care. im just excited we got both of them and we will better off because of it regardless of who wins. If JQJ can beat out Hudson, that means he is a stud QB who should lead us to a national title. Same going the other way.  And to think Milroe comes in after these guys!  QB room looks good moving forward.

I'm already on the '22 Ewers bandwagon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There have been many stories written about the newest Texas quarterback signee here at Inside Texas.

Hometown kid. Born a Longhorn fan. Led one of the best football programs in the state to deep runs in the playoffs. Elite 11 finalist. Georgia begged for him on his porch. He didn't go to Athens, but rather hit a flight for Orlando, FL last week for the Under Armour All-American game.

If Hudson Card wasn't a household name then, he is now. The 6-foot-2.5, 182-pounder arrived at UA and made serious waves. His practice performances only cemented his status as a stud. Coaches and instructors raved about the dual-threat. When the lights came on for the game, Card shined. He threw two scoring strikes (one was called back by penalty) with the composure of a grizzled veteran. The quiet, soft-spoken kid from Lake Travis flashed his accuracy, athleticism, and arm strength on ESPN's stage.

I caught up with the four-star talent and future Texas signal-caller. With no disrespect to fellow 2020 QB signee Ja'Quinden Jackson, we're probably looking at Sam Ehlinger's heir apparent.

Inside Texas: What was the UA experience like?

Hudson Card: "Really cool. I got to meet some great guys and coaches and build new relationships. I think the practices helped me more than anything. The speed of the game was an adjustment, and I'm expecting that to carry over to Texas in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it gives me a little advantage."

IT: Your HS career is officially over. Has that sunk in yet?

HC: "A little bit. It started sinking in when my friends went back to school this week and I'm at home. That's hilarious to them."

IT: You ran a very similar offense at LT that you'll run at Texas. How will that help you get adjusted to the playbook you're about to receive?

HC: "We ran a lot of similar concepts and terminology. The Texas offensive playbook is complex. Coach Stein (former Lake Travis OC, current UTSA WR coach) added some stuff he got from his time with Texas to our playbook last year. That'll definitely help. I'm just excited to get started."

IT: What are your freshman goals when you're officially in the Texas program?

HC: "I just want to compete. To be the best me I can be. Nail the playbook. Listen to Sam (Ehlinger). I need to add weight and strength, keep my nose down and the rest will take care of itself."

IT: You'll have a new offensive coordinator, Mike Yurcich. He recruited you early at Oklahoma State...

HC: "Coach Yurcich is a great guy. We attended a basketball game during a visit and just talked for hours. He's easy to relate to, and he coaches you hard, which is what I want. Plus, he loves to throw the ball. I can't wait."

The thing about Card that stood out to me was how much his senior year compared to Ehlinger's at Westlake. He was injured early in the season, passed on surgery with the chance to lead his squad in the playoffs, showed up in the 6A state quarterfinals and put on a show. Card and the Cavs lost the following week to back-to-back 6A D1 state champion North Shore in a valiant effort.

Big shoes to fill for Mr. Card. I don't think he'd want it any other way.

 

Not one damn word about his mitten size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Doing work:

 

 

Hopefully he drops that QB coach when he gets to college. Scrambling with the ball in one hand and falling out of some of those throws is not a great look. Looks like he has all the right tools though. Mobile with a strong arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is this QB coach?  “Just sprint out full speed and chuck a bunch of bombs at some dude standing downfield.  Nah, don’t worry about technique - if it feels good, do it.  That’s my motto.  So, anyway, have your dad make the check out to ThrowingKing.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Who is this QB coach?  “Just sprint out full speed and chuck a bunch of bombs at some dude standing downfield.  Nah, don’t worry about technique - if it feels good, do it.  That’s my motto.  So, anyway, have your dad make the check out to ThrowingKing.”

You can’t be serious. The two videos show him working on different techniques. The second one is obviously working on scramble drill throws. Why wouldn’t you have a QB practice that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t be serious. The two videos show him working on different techniques. The second one is obviously working on scramble drill throws. Why wouldn’t you have a QB practice that? 

His motion has gotten quicker and more effortless. He looks like he has been putting in a lot of work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Who is this QB coach?  “Just sprint out full speed and chuck a bunch of bombs at some dude standing downfield.  Nah, don’t worry about technique - if it feels good, do it.  That’s my motto.  So, anyway, have your dad make the check out to ThrowingKing.”

Beck or Herman? 

Every time we call a poorly executed rollout and I see Sam take a direct shot it makes me rage. This might be the first year in over a decade that we have the type of OL/running game that could create the type of intended space for Sam to rollout without dodging a concussion.

Edited by Goodman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t be serious. The two videos show him working on different techniques. The second one is obviously working on scramble drill throws. Why wouldn’t you have a QB practice that? 

I don't break down film the way that you and the usual suspects (compliment) do, but it looked to me as though he was very specifically and meticulously working on things in case the play breaks down.  Why wouldn't you, indeed.  I think we're still getting football board bleeding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

His motion has gotten quicker and more effortless. He looks like he has been putting in a lot of work.

 

 

Agreed. He seems to be able to just flick it down the field now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to watching Card and Jackson battle it out. And with Milroe coming in behind those two, our QB room will look vastly improved. Add an Ewers to it and thats just not fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...