Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

When I saw Headey's and Coster-Waldau's names in the opening credits I thought for a moment that they weren't dead.  And as it was, it's not like they were covered by several feet of rubble.

You would've seen their names in the credits whether they'd showed them in the rubble or not.

Some good points in here but not with respect to the WW.  They waited 5 seasons to attack the wall because they needed the dragon to circumvent it.
The wall had held them out for thousands of years.  There was nothing they could do till they had a way to breach it.

Made total sense that the Undead used the Coast Guard to dig out a dragon, but couldnt have figured a way to breech a giant wall manned by a rag tag over hundreds of miles.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You would've seen their names in the credits whether they'd showed them in the rubble or not.

When do they stop showing their names?  Pretty sure the Red Witch actress didn't appear in the credits.  

Edited by HouTex

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Made total sense that the Undead used the Coast Guard to dig out a dragon, but couldnt have figured a way to breech a giant wall manned by a rag tag over hundreds of miles.

Seriously. I can’t believe the show didn’t explain multiple times that there was a magical element keeping them from being able to get through that the dragon was finally able to break.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

When do they stop showing their names?  Pretty sure the Red Witch actress didn't appear in the credits.  

Pretty sure the "stars" names would've been there every episode. I don't think the red witch merited having the name in all the opening credits. Cersei didn't appear at all in the episode where the Night King was killed but I'd bet a substantial amount of money her name showed in the opening credits.

Just now, C-Man said:

Pretty sure the "stars" names would've been there every episode. I don't think the red witch merited having the name in all the opening credits. Cersei didn't appear at all in the episode where the Night King was killed but I'd bet a substantial amount of money her name showed in the opening credits.

Maybe so.  I'm not positive either way.  But I do recall seeing Van Houten's name in the Battle for Winterfell episode and it wasn't in last night's credits.  I recall it because I was hoping to see her tits.

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We all knew how it would end.  Hell, Bran was #1 in the Vegas betting pools.  We knew Jon would kill Dragon lady because she was crazy.  

The scene at the end of them trying to figure out how to run a government was fitting.  That's kind of what the show was always about.

Having a Vegas pool for a scripted television show is one of the most fucked up things i can imagine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Only thing I can think of is that, IIRC, the wall was against the wildlings/freefolk, not the Night King and his minions.  Granted some (all?  does Tormund represent all wildlings?) wildlings are now allies, but I guess for how long?

And, even if there aren't express enemies north of the wall, I suppose it makes some sense to have a presence at the northern "border."  /end Trump

Of course all of the foregoing assumes that any of this makes any sense.  Which seems to be a poor assumption.

The nightswatch IS for protecting the realm against wildlings.  before recent events, the night king / wights hadnt been spotted for 1000 years, and was mere lore.  the wall was imbued with magic to protect against them, but in living memory it served functionally only against wildlings. 

wildlings allied for the battle, but theyre not just going to repatriate with everyone.  they went back north because its where they belong.

There are about 40 named characters in the first episode.  Only 9 of them survived to the last episode.  

Game of Thrones Original Gangsters

Season 1 episode 1 character list:

Dead:

Will (Season 1)

Jon Arynn (Season 1)

Robert Baratheon (Season 1)

Ned Stark (Season 1)

Viserys Targaryan (Season 1)

Lady (Season 1)

Septa Mordane (Season 1)

Jory Cassel (Season 1)

Khal Drogo (Season 1)

Maester Luwin (Season 2)

Rodrik Cassel (Season 2)

Whore Ros and her tits (Season 3)

Catlyn Stark (Season 3)

Robb Stark (Season 3)

Grey Wind (Season 3)

Joffrey Baratheon (Season 4)

Mrycella Baratheon (Season 5)

Rickon Stark (Season 6)

Summer (Season 6)

Shaggydog (Season 6)

Hodor (Season 6)

Tommen Baratheon (Season 6)

Benjen Stark ( Season 7)

Viserion (Season 7)

Jorah Mormont (Season 8 )

Theon Greyjoy (Season 8 )

Rhaegal (Season 8 )

Daenerys Targaryan (Seasons 8 )

The Hound (Season 8 )

Cersei Lannister (Season 8 )

Jaime Lannister (Season 8 )

Not Dead:

Drogon 

Arya Stark

Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen)

Sansa Stark

Bran Stark

Ghost

Nymeria

Tyrion Lannister 

Illyrio Moptais

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

RE: Why would the six kingdoms just let the North walk away without claiming their own independence?

- At the end of the story, the North is the largest kingdom with the strongest military.   Not to mention that they also have some of the strongest and best-loved personalities in Westeros.   These things coupled with Bran on the throne would allow the North to dominate the politics of the seven kingdoms.

- With the North off doing their own thing, the richest and most productive parts of Westeros are left on the table for the remaining six kingdoms to share.  The North is unlikely to ever pose a military threat while Bran is King.

- The Ironborn, with their geography and recent history, are in a good position to be the go-between for the six kingdoms and the North.  There is a lot of potential financial gain there which can make up for all of that “not sowing.”  The bulk of their fleet was destroyed, and Euron’s ship building frenzy likely left the islands bare of timber for a generation.  They don’t look to be able regain the military capability to secede for some time, so they make the best of things and become peaceful traders with the remaining ships they have   

- Dorne is now the largest and most powerful of the remaining kingdoms.  Why be independent when you can finally make your play to be the dominant family in the kingdom without bloodshed?  Whose going to challenge them? The Tyrells and Freys are gone.   Tyrion and Sam are the last of the Lannister and Tarly families.  Gendry is the only Baratheon.  The only somewhat remaining family in the South is the Tullys and they aren’t what they once were.  Bronn isn’t going to have a handle on things in Highgarden for a while, especially since he is distracted with all of the brothel building.  The Martells were the least impacted financially and militarily by the war, so they are in prime position to exert their influence for the foreseeable future.  Why waste that opportunity just to say they are “independent?”

- The other kingdoms and families have lost too much and lack the strength to go it alone.  

• Like 3

RE: Why would the six kingdoms just let the North walk away without claiming their own independence?
- At the end of the story, the North is the largest kingdom with the strongest military.   Not to mention that they also have some of the strongest and best-loved personalities in Westeros.   These things coupled with Bran on the throne would allow the North to dominate the politics of the seven kingdoms.
- With the North off doing their own thing, the richest and most productive parts of Westeros are left on the table for the remaining six kingdoms to share.  The North is unlikely to ever pose a military threat while Bran is King.
- The Ironborn, with their geography and recent history, are in a good position to be the go-between for the six kingdoms and the North.  There is a lot of potential financial gain there which can make up for all of that “not sowing.”  The bulk of their fleet was destroyed, and Euron’s ship building frenzy likely left the islands bare of timber for a generation.  They don’t look to be able regain the military capability to secede for some time, so they make the best of things and become peaceful traders with the remaining ships they have   
- Dorne is now the largest and most powerful of the remaining kingdoms.  Why be independent when you can finally make your play to be the dominant family in the kingdom without bloodshed?  Whose going to challenge them? The Tyrells and Freys are gone.   Tyrion and Sam are the last of the Lannister and Tarly families.  Gendry is the only Baratheon.  The only somewhat remaining family in the South is the Tullys and they aren’t what they once were.  Bronn isn’t going to have a handle on things in Highgarden for a while, especially since he is distracted with all of the brothel building.  The Martells were the least impacted financially and militarily by the war, so they are in prime position to exert their influence for the foreseeable future.  Why waste that opportunity just to say they are “independent?”
- The other kingdoms and families have lost too much and lack the strength to go it alone.  

Yeah, I bet Benioff and Wise definitely relied on this logic and not just “QUEEN OF THE NORTH DUR DUR”!
  • Like 4

Nerd

That is what the 3rd Reich thought.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Nerd

No argument.   Just a counter to all of the “it didn’t make sense” commentary.  It takes about an ounce of imagination and a minute of thought to make a bit of sense out of what happened in most of the “nonsensical” situations this season.   

I like the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps on my own.  I liked the finale and thought they did a fine job of tying together a sprawling narrative in this last season.  

• Like 2

Thought the characters’ endings minus bran were ok. Crazy thing to me was toward the end it was almost like a comedy or like they were fucking with us or something. The tone of the meeting where Tyrion picked bran and the way they all kind of kept looking around at each other with almost knowing smiles or smirks was bizarre. Same with the meeting after that with bron. Just so different from the way either of those situations would have been handled any other time during the show.

Just remembered something. At the start of Ep 6, they show what's left of KL with a giant banner hanging on a wall. It's kind of a twisted wheel or spider and I took it to mean that it was the some kind of Targaryen or Unsullied symbol put up after their victory. Well, that was the same design that someone (ostensibly the White Walkers) had hanging on a wall inside some keep North of Winterfell - made out of body parts, which came alive as I recall. Seems that's where Tormund comes back into the story.

What goes? If the NW made it, were they mocking the Targaryens?

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Just remembered something. At the start of Ep 6, they show what's left of KL with a giant banner hanging on a wall. It's kind of a twisted wheel or spider and I took it to mean that it was the some kind of Targaryen or Unsullied symbol put up after their victory. Well, that was the same design that someone (ostensibly the White Walkers) had hanging on a wall inside some keep North of Winterfell - made out of body parts, which came alive as I recall. Seems that's where Tormund comes back into the story.

What goes? If the NW made it, were they mocking the Targaryens?

The banner hanging on the Red Keep was the Targaryen banner.   Same as it has always been.  

The pattern on the wall at the Last Hearth was a call back to the symbol of the Children of the Forest that the Night King started using as his own calling card after the CotF made him into the Night King. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

That video makes me even more mad about the finale. Dude was such a badass for most of the series and they sent him out like a bitch. 

He should have had one last epic battle with greyworm after knifing Dany. At the counsel of Westeros everyone is more than happy to kneel to him but he says nay and rolls out into the north of his own volition like a boss. Not because bitchass greyworm says he has to and then immediately takes his whole crew across the ocean. 

• Like 2

This is a pretty good recap by someone who mostly gives the benefit of the doubt to Dumb and Dumber, and probably defends it better than they could themselves. Don't bother if you're intent on hating it all, it'll only make you more mad,. It actually brought me in off the ledge a little bit...

b9ce40d95a1d4683c6e69625a2d3aefb.jpg

and the top comment from reddit:

Oh Lordy, the fan theories at work about this one.

"It's the pale horse of death!"

"It symbolizes Arya's redemption after a life of chasing revenge!"

And my personal favorite:

"It's Bran warging into the horse to save her!"

And in the end, after all the debate, it was some dressed up UberSelect there to drive Arya around the block, just so she could stare menacingly at another character for a while, and deduce with her 200 IQ assassin insight that Dany was--in fact--dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread