The Sopranos

wild_turkey

Other than possibly Meadow and Dr. Melfi, was there anyone on that show even remotely likable?

I had a love-hate thing going on as I watched it.  For me, there was no one to root for or against, I hated everyone and I wanted to see them all get whacked. Yet I couldn't turn my head away, it was like watching a car accident.

2 hours ago, pokeNbeans said:

Other than possibly Meadow and Dr. Melfi, was there anyone on that show even remotely likable?

Carmela, Christopher, Paulie, Sylvio, Bobby, Junior, Adriana, Artie, Hesh, Carmine...

edit: the sleazy detective/dad from Home Alone

Edited by CurlyDumps

2 hours ago, pokeNbeans said:

I had a love-hate thing going on as I watched it.  For me, there was no one to root for or against, I hated everyone and I wanted to see them all get whacked. Yet I couldn't turn my head away, it was like watching a car accident.

I always liked Rosalie and Svetlana. 

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Carmela, Christopher, Paulie, Sylvio, Bobby, Junior, Adriana, Artie, Hesh, Carmine...

edit: the sleazy detective/dad from Home Alone

You know, other than the fact he screwed a bunch of black artists out of their royalties on hit songs and was a loan shark, pretty good guy. 

20 hours ago, Wyatt Mann said:

Paulie Walnuts was probably the biggest asshole on the show, the most unlikable character, and one of the few to survive!

12 hours ago, Augustus said:

He was a pretty unredeemable character.

donaldtrumpwrong.gif

I fuckin love Paulie.  You gotta take him for what he is.  Which is everything Celery Man just said.  Then his character is genius.

And Celery Man is also correct that Ralphie was easily the most hate-able character and it’s not even close.  (Well, and Tony’s mother and sister...but he sucked the worst of all the mobsters.)

Although I do crack up every time I hear Ralphie’s outgoing voicemail message after he dies.  “Leave a message and be sure to leave a phone number.  With my schedule, I don’t have time to look up numbers.”  Guy was a fucking prick even in death.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, Paulie was stuck in middle-management hell and extremely bitter about it. 

I think he kind of accepted it at the end. He tried to turn Tony down when he offered him capo of the Aprile crew. He would have killed several dozen people for that position in previous seasons. 

And by default he was Tony's de facto underboss by the final episode. 

16 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Agree that Ralphie was the biggest piece of shit on that show by far.

Ralphie was kind of human at the end. He wasn't a good father, but he did love his son. 

Again, Richie was the biggest POS on the show. What he did to Beansie remains messed up. He should have just killed Beans, but he paralyzed him instead. 

I think Beans was connected enough that Tony probably could have had Richie clipped if he pressed the issue. Tony's hesitation with Richie for all of Season 2 was frustrating, and he gets bailed out by Janice. It was one hell of a plot twist, but not a satisfying end. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ralphie was kind of human at the end. He wasn't a good father, but he did love his son. 

Again, Richie was the biggest POS on the show. What he did to Beansie remains messed up. He should have just killed Beans, but he paralyzed him instead. 

I think Beans was connected enough that Tony probably could have had Richie clipped if he pressed the issue. Tony's hesitation with Richie for all of Season 2 was frustrating, and he gets bailed out by Janice. It was one hell of a plot twist, but not a satisfying end. 

Good point. Just the way Ralphie beat that pregnant stripper to death stuck with me as the real piece of shit-ism.

6 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Speaking of the tennis instructor, it's funny how bad she looks at actual tennis.

And in S1, it's hilarious how awkward and un-athletic Meadow looks playing goalie in her soccer game. 

I never even noticed her tennis ability and I've rewatched that scene numerous times.

• Like 1

Michael Franzese, aka the Yuppie Don, Captain in the Colombo Crime Family, has said in a couple interviews that any made member in LCN that visited a psychiatrist would be killed very quickly. Not because they were concerned about what was being said in sessions, but for showing mental weakness. Basically if Tony is willing to talk to a shrink, who else will he talk to? 

• Like 1