2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Boy I feel like a total retard but when did uil let private play public in district?

Clicking around on maxpreps and it looks like Jesuit is in the same district as allen Plano and prosper?

Jesuit and Strake Jesuit were allowed in the UIL like 14 or 15 years ago. They’re the only two.

Where have you been?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

It became law in 2011. Because privates can draw students from anywhere they must participate at the 6A level.

Sidenote: in our modern world where Redskins et al are no longer appropriate mascots,how about the Strake Jesuit  Crusaders?

I bled for that program, so hands off my sword and shield, commie. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

It became law in 2011. Because privates can draw students from anywhere they must participate at the 6A level.

Sidenote: in our modern world where Redskins et al are no longer appropriate mascots,how about the Strake Jesuit  Crusaders?

Hate the damn redskins. But I'll call them redskins.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, orange dream said:

I'll say this hits extremely close to home.  Should be a crazy ride.

you go to trinity?

4 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Anyone going to McCallum vs. Anderson tonight?  I'll be hitting up the Tavern beforehand, then taking in the game.

all anderson has to be is average and they should roll mccallum.  i think the knights have 4 returning starters on both sides of the ball or something ridiculous like that.

I always root for Martin.  That coach has built a damn good program that just can't seem to get over the very top.  If you've never heard his story, this is from 2011:

ARLINGTON — A 22-year-old, just out of college, sells his rusted-out Jeep for a motorcycle, throwing what he owns in a few bags, and rides out of town to follow his dreams.

It sounds like a work of fiction.

But for Arlington Martin coach Bob Wager, that’s exactly how this New York-born, Massachusetts-college grad made his way to big-time Texas high school football.

During his time as a student assistant at Springfield (Mass.) College, Wager read Buzz Bissinger’s Friday Night Lights, and his mind was set. He was going to coach on as big a stage as possible.

“That’s where football is bigger than life,” Wager’s mother, Phyllis, said.

So, when graduation came, Wager was gone — making the 1,600-mile trek with $500 in his pocket and “one coat, one tie, one shirt and one pair of slacks.”

In the summer of 1992, he headed straight for the Texas High School Coaches Association meeting in Fort Worth.

After weeks of interviews, he found a job in Arlington at Carter Junior High.

A year later, he was on Ken Ozee’s staff at Arlington Sam Houston — eventually working four years as an assistant before blazing his own trail as a head coach.

Over nearly a decade’s worth of stops before Martin — from tiny Class A Tolar to Groveton to Kaufman — Wager won wherever he was. In his 15 seasons as a head coach, he’s taken his teams to the playoffs 12 times.

In six seasons at Martin, the 41-year-old Wager (pronounced Way-grr) has made six playoff appearances. This season’s 12 wins and regional final appearance are school bests.

“To know where it started at Tolar, and how hard he works, and what to expect of his coaches and his players … I’m not surprised,” Martin offensive coordinator Chad Rives said.

Wager said that a key to his turnarounds at different programs has been his approach to strength and conditioning, and the quality of people he’s surrounded himself with.

He and his assistants — six of whom have been with Wager at previous stops — lift weights and work out alongside the players.

Wager’s passion is evident when you see him at practice, bouncing from station to station.

“We’re on the hop!” he yelled between segments of Wednesday’s practice, getting his players to move at a jog, before taking part in a running back drill.

A standout high school running back, Wager had his collegiate career cut short after breaking a vertebra near the nape of his neck during a game in his sophomore season. Coach Mike DeLong let Wager stay on scholarship as a student assistant, allowing him — over the course of two seasons — to coach a variety of positions.

“At the time, I thought it was the end of the world,” Wager said. “But I guess in the grand scheme of things, it helped jump-start my coaching career.”

Nearly 20 years later, DeLong recalled Wager as a “serious kid,” but one who showed a crazy streak to take such a bold leap right out of college.

Wager called his high school coach and mentor, Barry Clawson of Johnstown, N.Y., on his way out of town. Clawson wasn’t surprised.

“That’s the kind of guy he was,” Clawson said. “Willing to take a chance.”

It’s a decision that Wager is thankful for to this day.

“There’s no place I’d rather be,” Wager said. “I’m proud of my upbringing, and wouldn’t change a thing. I had a fairy tale childhood, every step of the way. But I’m still in awe of Texas high school football. I just think it’s everything I’d hoped it would be — and more.”

1 hour ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Where do y'all go for austin area football schedules?  I can't find a good site other than maxpreps.com which bugs me to sign up.

http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=new_schedule&SearchType=Schedules&mkt=&mode=2&tab=tab1&Sport=1#tab1

And I've said it before, but Matt Stepp is the only reason to still read DCTF.com:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2018/09/03/week-1-preview-breaking-down-the-biggest-games-in-texas-high-school-football?ref=home_feature_article

Edited by Beau Vine

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The edge goes to Longview as it’s one of the state’s toughest tasks to walk out of Lobo Stadium with a win.

tough to walk out of Lobo Stadium with a win and your wallet

looking forward to this one anyway

As an alum of Arlington Martin it warms my heart to read that.

I went there when it first opened and man did we suck at football. Coach was a total dickhead. Year after we left we got a new coach that seemed to go in the right direction but we still sucked.

Lake Travis is going down tonight.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 2:07 PM, Beau Vine said:

I did a double take when he mentioned the Jacob Rosales controversy in the Vela-United write-up. That's fucking astounding that he knows about that. Dude must have some deep valley connections or he browses the 956 sports forum, either way that's really impressive journalism.

(tldr; Rosales is regarded as the best QB in the valley. Played for Mission Pioneer for 3 years, tried to transfer to Vela for his senior year. Got denied due to typical valley pettiness and will play for Pioneer again this year. In fairness all the coaches hate Vela down there because they rather blatantly recruit the best kids in the Edinburg/McAllen/Reynosa area to play for them. They do it in all sports)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree Fidy said:

Vandegrift up 22-7 vs Cedar Park with 9:40 left in 4th. If this score holds up, the Dollar General dumpsters will be on fire within the hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedar Park looked small. Their QB couldn't hit the broadside of a barn tonight. And they made tons of mistakes.

Cedar Park looked small. Their QB couldn't hit the broadside of a barn tonight. And they made tons of mistakes.

So, they lit the dumpsters on fire already? Easily the fan base with the mist redneck and least class. Settle down Marble Falls, you are 1 or 1A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Couple of stunners from SA...

Lee 24, Smithson Valley 23  😲

O'Connor 21, Steele 14

To be clear, that's Midland Lee that beat Smithson Valley not the San Antonio Lee.

A little surprising to see O'Connor winning the Steele matchup.  I saw O'Connor scrimmage SVHS last week and they didn't seem very good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

To be clear, that's Midland Lee that beat Smithson Valley not the San Antonio Lee.

A little surprising to see O'Connor winning the Steele matchup.  I saw O'Connor scrimmage SVHS last week and they didn't seem very good.

O'Connor lost a lot but has a really good o-line and running back. Very well coached as well. Steele is the most individually talented team in the area, more than Judson even IMO but since Saenz took over they seem to start seasons sluggishly. Once October rolls around they'll be humming. 

Anyone familiar with Tyler John Tyler? I know they were good back in the day but have no idea how good they've been lately. Cedar Hill beat them 57-0 tonight and I'm trying to gauge how impressive of a win that is. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

O'Connor lost a lot but has a really good o-line and running back. Very well coached as well. Steele is the most individually talented team in the area, more than Judson even IMO but since Saenz took over they seem to start seasons sluggishly. Once October rolls around they'll be humming. 

Anyone familiar with Tyler John Tyler? I know they were good back in the day but have no idea how good they've been lately. Cedar Hill beat them 57-0 tonight and I'm trying to gauge how impressive of a win that is. 

TJT can be up and down, but the down never seems to be down enough to lose 57-0 to anyone.  

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Good point about Steele starting off slow. They did the same thing last season. It was night and day from the beginning of the season and the end of the season with those guys.