CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Florida State: Mississippi State linebackers coach Chris Marve plans to join Mike Norvell’s staff source tells FootballScoop. Josh Newberg was first to report the move.

Fresno State: Kalen DeBoer received a five year contract worth $7 million in total according to the Fresno Bee. Year one compensation begins at $1.3 million and it grows to $1.5 million in year five.

Rutgers: Sources tell FootballScoop Greg Schiano is very interested in adding Bob Fraser to his defensive coaching staff after the Patriots season concludes. Fraser, who has a long history of coaching with Schiano, currently serves as a coaching assistant on Bill Belichick’s staff. Most recently Fraser was on staff at Ohio State, Tampa and Rutgers. Fraser was selected as the FootballScoop Linebackers Coach of the Year in 2009 while on staff at Rutgers.

UNLV: Fresno State assistant athletics director for football operations / chief of football staff Mike McHugh is joining the UNLV staff. Since 2012 McHugh has worked at Cal, Fresno State, Washington, Missouri, Fresno State and now UNLV.

Missouri: David Gibbs, who coached the corners last season, is being retained the school has announced. Prior to joining the staff heading into the 2019 season, Gibbs spent four seasons coordinating the defense at Texas Tech.

North Texas: Sources tell FootballScoop Seth Littrell is interested in Kansas safeties coach (and former defensive coordinator) Clint Bowen filling his open defensive coordinator role. Update> UNT has now announced the hire of Clint Bowen as defensive coordinator.

Ole Miss: Source tells FootballScoop Lane Kiffin is targeting Texas A&M tight ends coach Joe Jon Finley for a similar role on his staff in Oxford. Finley, who played tight end at Oklahoma and in the league for a number of years, has coached tight ends at Missouri and A&M the past few seasons.

Matt Rhule: The Baylor head coach has his coaching stock skyrocketing and explains what an NFL job will have to look like to pry him out of Waco.  

Florida State: TCU offensive line coach Chris Thomsen is joining the Florida State staff, per multiple reports including the Star-Telegram who add that his position specific responsibility will be named later, but he is expected to have the deputy head coach title.

Fresno State: Per source, the following coaches will not be retained; Scotty Thompson (TEs), Jamie Christian (RBs), Bert Watts (DC), and Will Plemons (DL).

Missouri: TCU co-offensive coordinator Curtis Luper will join the Mizzou staff in a similar role, sources shared with FootballScoop late last night. The news was first reported by Chris Hummer of 247Sports. Luper and Eli Drinkwitz worked alongside each other at Auburn.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Florida State: Mississippi State linebackers coach Chris Marve plans to join Mike Norvell’s staff source tells FootballScoop. Josh Newberg was first to report the move.

Fresno State: Kalen DeBoer received a five year contract worth $7 million in total according to the Fresno Bee. Year one compensation begins at $1.3 million and it grows to $1.5 million in year five.

Rutgers: Sources tell FootballScoop Greg Schiano is very interested in adding Bob Fraser to his defensive coaching staff after the Patriots season concludes. Fraser, who has a long history of coaching with Schiano, currently serves as a coaching assistant on Bill Belichick’s staff. Most recently Fraser was on staff at Ohio State, Tampa and Rutgers. Fraser was selected as the FootballScoop Linebackers Coach of the Year in 2009 while on staff at Rutgers.

UNLV: Fresno State assistant athletics director for football operations / chief of football staff Mike McHugh is joining the UNLV staff. Since 2012 McHugh has worked at Cal, Fresno State, Washington, Missouri, Fresno State and now UNLV.

Missouri: David Gibbs, who coached the corners last season, is being retained the school has announced. Prior to joining the staff heading into the 2019 season, Gibbs spent four seasons coordinating the defense at Texas Tech.

North Texas: Sources tell FootballScoop Seth Littrell is interested in Kansas safeties coach (and former defensive coordinator) Clint Bowen filling his open defensive coordinator role. Update> UNT has now announced the hire of Clint Bowen as defensive coordinator.

Ole Miss: Source tells FootballScoop Lane Kiffin is targeting Texas A&M tight ends coach Joe Jon Finley for a similar role on his staff in Oxford. Finley, who played tight end at Oklahoma and in the league for a number of years, has coached tight ends at Missouri and A&M the past few seasons.

Matt Rhule: The Baylor head coach has his coaching stock skyrocketing and explains what an NFL job will have to look like to pry him out of Waco.  

Florida State: TCU offensive line coach Chris Thomsen is joining the Florida State staff, per multiple reports including the Star-Telegram who add that his position specific responsibility will be named later, but he is expected to have the deputy head coach title.

Fresno State: Per source, the following coaches will not be retained; Scotty Thompson (TEs), Jamie Christian (RBs), Bert Watts (DC), and Will Plemons (DL).

Missouri: TCU co-offensive coordinator Curtis Luper will join the Mizzou staff in a similar role, sources shared with FootballScoop late last night. The news was first reported by Chris Hummer of 247Sports. Luper and Eli Drinkwitz worked alongside each other at Auburn.

There’s gonna be like 8 NFL HC jobs open this offseason. If Rhule wants to coach in the NFL, then he’ll almost definitely get a chance to this year, but I doubt he’s going to be public about interviewing since other schools have been able to use that to negative recruit in the past. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Rhule ain’t leaving Baylor. They are paying him beaucoup money. He probably makes more than NFL coaches. 

maybe, but he's always wanted to be an NFL HC and would've taken the Jets job last year if the Jets weren't run by idiots. He may decide that he's got it too good at Baylor now and doesn't want to leave, but I think he's more of a risk to leave for the NFL than most college HCs, including Riley. 

So per this article approximately 4 million with bonuses.

Baylor is a private school, so while we know Rhule’s salary ($4,113,734) and where it ranks among coaches nationally (26th), his max bonus and even his buyout are unavailable. And while Rhule is in just his third season with the Bears, it’s hard to argue that he’s overpaid. He inherited a Baylor program in an absolutely disastrous spot and went 1-11 his first year with the lone win coming over Kansas. Last year saw the Bears jump to a 7-6 record and a 4-5 mark in Big 12 play, and this year the Bears have already matched both win totals at 7-0 and 4-0. Is Baylor back to being a legitimate Big 12 contender? That answer may not arrive until November, but considering where Baylor was when he took over after winning 20 games over two years at Temple, Rhule’s on the right track.

And the average salary of an NFL headcoach is 7 million.

So what the fuck am I missing that he wouldn't go to the NFL? Because fuck Baylor and this guy needs to go to the NFL.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Rhule ain’t leaving Baylor. They are paying him beaucoup money. He probably makes more than NFL coaches. 

If it's true that he seriously entertained the Jets job last year, then he would take the Giants job. And he has more leverage this year to get what he wants from an organization. 

Just now, MoJames said:

So what the fuck am I missing that he wouldn't go to the NFL? Because fuck Baylor and this guy needs to go to the NFL.

I think we're too in the college football bubble here. I get turning down the Jacksonville Jaguars, but franchises like the Giants and Cowboys are in a different stratosphere than Baylor. 

Source: Mike Gundy may be losing two assistants to coordinator opportunities

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-mike-gundy-may-be-losing-two-assistants-to-coordinator-opportunities/  

Sources tell us that new UNLV head coach Marcus Arroyo is targeting Oklahoma State associate head coach / receivers coach Kasey Dunn to be his offensive coordinator in the desert. We are told that a deal with Dunn is near the final stages.  

We also hear that a second Cowboy assistant is a strong candidate for the defensive coordinator role with the Rebels is defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements.  The opportunity at UNLV would be his first opportunity as the defensive play caller.

Edited by LTtxfan

USF: Sources tell FootballScoop that Charlie Weis Jr. is a strong candidate to join the USF staff.

Photographic memory, NFL support staff experience, previous analyst with the Crimson Tide, coached for Kiffin at FAU ... Is he another Lincoln Riley Brainiac?

https://www.si.com/college/2018/08/20/charlie-weis-jr-age-florida-atlantic-lane-kiffin

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

USF: Sources tell FootballScoop that Charlie Weis Jr. is a strong candidate to join the USF staff.

Tampa all you can eat buffet owners are trembling in fear

CiCis, Golden Coral, Furrs.......you are fucked if this happens

at least the Chinese places will have no issue telling him "eat too much you leave now"

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Source: Mike Gundy may be losing two assistants to coordinator opportunities

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-mike-gundy-may-be-losing-two-assistants-to-coordinator-opportunities/  

Sources tell us that new UNLV head coach Marcus Arroyo is targeting Oklahoma State associate head coach / receivers coach Kasey Dunn to be his offensive coordinator in the desert. We are told that a deal with Dunn is near the final stages.  

We also hear that a second Cowboy assistant is a strong candidate for the defensive coordinator role with the Rebels is defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements.  The opportunity at UNLV would be his first opportunity as the defensive play caller.

OSU is fucked. Dunn made Blackmon, Washington and Wallace stars but Gundy wouldn't give him the OC job. But hey, Gundy talked his son into walking on in 2 years, so we got that going for us, I guess. There's alos a rumor that our current OC might leave for fucking Rutgers. Great job, mullet.

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think we're too in the college football bubble here. I get turning down the Jacksonville Jaguars, but franchises like the Giants and Cowboys are in a different stratosphere than Baylor. 

I think you're probably right, but if you're making 5 or 6 million a year at Baylor or even Oklahoma or Texas, where if you win you are a hero and can stay as long as you want do you go to the Giants for another million or 2 a year?  Be under the microscope every time you take a piss?

That said, it seems like once you get in the NFL it is a lifetime gig. And in college you are usually one bad season away from being fired. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

OSU is fucked. Dunn made Blackmon, Washington and Wallace stars but Gundy wouldn't give him the OC job. But hey, Gundy talked his son into walking on in 2 years, so we got that going for us, I guess. There's alos a rumor that our current OC might leave for fucking Rutgers. Great job, mullet.

Gleeson?  I guess we’re not talking to him for our OC job then. 

53 minutes ago, pops said:

I think you're probably right, but if you're making 5 or 6 million a year at Baylor or even Oklahoma or Texas, where if you win you are a hero and can stay as long as you want do you go to the Giants for another million or 2 a year?  Be under the microscope every time you take a piss?

That said, it seems like once you get in the NFL it is a lifetime gig. And in college you are usually one bad season away from being fired. 

I think a lot of it comes down to recruiting - I think some coaches hate it and can’t wait for an NFL opportunity so they don’t have to deal with kids and their families. 

I have no idea how Rhule feels about it - but if money is close it could certainly sway the decision. 

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think a lot of it comes down to recruiting - I think some coaches hate it and can’t wait for an NFL opportunity so they don’t have to deal with kids and their families. 

I have no idea how Rhule feels about it - but if money is close it could certainly sway the decision. 

Probably true. /Csb, but a good friend is best buddies with janko at smu and he said Larry brown told him the NBA was so much easier than the NCAA. You just have your team and coach them. No parents no curfew no grades no bullshit. So I can see that. /csb

FAU: Jim Leavitt has been formally announced as the team’s defensive coordinator.

USF: The program has announced the addition of Glenn Spencer as defensive coordinator / linebackers coach. Spencer led the FAU defense last season, where they led the country in takeaways. Xavier Dye (previously at WVa and Clemson) has also now been announced as the team’s new receivers coach.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

It's not just the recruiting itself and the bullshittery that surrounds it, it's the fact that you have to do it 365 days a year. You get virtually no break as a college coach. It's a quality of life issue. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:13 AM, Neonmoon said:

He's absolutely leaving for the NFL, just a matter of when. That said, he's made it pretty clear what he's looking for and it may be a bit before he finds it. He looking for Belichick level control in hiring/firing.

“I think A) you need to have a quarterback, and B) you need to have alignment.”

“I don’t think that I would ever want to see myself or any coach in a situation where you’re just subcontracted out for you X’s and O’s knowledge. The teams that have won in college football, the Nick Saban’s the Dabo Swinney’s – and the people that win in pro football in the Mike Tomlin’s and Bill Belichick’s, they run a complete and total program. And everybody, they have different responsibilities, but everybody’s aligned to the same vision.”

Texas opens the 2020 football season facing Charlie Weis Jr's offense.

Charlie Weis Jr. hired as USF offensive coordinator.  The son of the former Notre Dame coach flourished in two seasons at FAU.

Weiss_Head_WEB.jpg?width=300

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/12/23/charlie-weis-jr-hired-as-usf-offensive-coordinator/

Also:

FAU: Adam Rittenberg tweets that tight ends coach Clint Trickett is likely to be be promoted to the offensive coordinator role on Willie Taggart’s staff, with the expected departure of Charlie Weis Jr. to USF.

USF: Bruce Feldman tweets that FAU safeties coach Wes Neighbors is expected to follow defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer to South Florida.

USF: Joey King, who coached the wide receivers at Coastal Carolina last season, has been named tight ends coach. Prior to Coastal Carolina, King spent five seasons as the head coach at Cartersville HS (GA).

Edited by LTtxfan

James Franklin’s coaching search has concluded and the Nittany Lions named Minnesota offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca Thursday as the permanent replacement for Ricky Rahne.  

Here are some of the highlights of Ciarrocca’s resume:

• 2017-present: Minnesota - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2013-17: Western Michigan - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2012: Delaware - running backs coach
  • 2011: Richmond - quarterbacks coach
  • 2008-10: Rutgers - co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2002-07: Delaware - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2000-01: University of Pennsylvania - wide receivers
  • 1996-99: Princeton - wide receivers
  • 1994-95: Western Connecticut State - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks / wide receivers
  • 1993: Delaware Valley College - passing game coordinator / wide receivers
  • 1992: Western Connecticut State - passing game coordinator / wide receivers
  • 1990-91: Temple - graduate assistant

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/12/penn-states-new-offensive-coordinator-a-closer-look-at-kirk-ciarroccas-background.html

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

James Franklin’s coaching search has concluded and the Nittany Lions named Minnesota offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca Thursday as the permanent replacement for Ricky Rahne.  

Here are some of the highlights of Ciarrocca’s resume:

• 2017-present: Minnesota - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2013-17: Western Michigan - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2012: Delaware - running backs coach
  • 2011: Richmond - quarterbacks coach
  • 2008-10: Rutgers - co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2002-07: Delaware - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks
  • 2000-01: University of Pennsylvania - wide receivers
  • 1996-99: Princeton - wide receivers
  • 1994-95: Western Connecticut State - offensive coordinator / quarterbacks / wide receivers
  • 1993: Delaware Valley College - passing game coordinator / wide receivers
  • 1992: Western Connecticut State - passing game coordinator / wide receivers
  • 1990-91: Temple - graduate assistant

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/12/penn-states-new-offensive-coordinator-a-closer-look-at-kirk-ciarroccas-background.html