The danger of Hugo's Russia derangement syndrome

bernorange

Senate Democrats Are Circulating Plans for Government Takeover of the Internet: Reason Roundup

A leaked memo circulating among Senate Democrats contains a host of bonkers authoritarian proposals for regulating digital platforms, purportedly as a way to get tough on Russian bots and fake news. To save American trust in "our institutions, democracy, free press, and markets," it suggests, we need unprecedented and undemocratic government intervention into online press and markets, including "comprehensive (GDPR-like) data protection legislation" of the sort enacted in the E.U.

Titled "Potential Policy Proposals for Regulation of Social Media and Technology Firms," the draft policy paper—penned by Sen. Mark Warner and leaked by an unknown source to Axios ...

More:  https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/31/democrats-tech-policy-plans-leaked

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It’s mind boggling what’s going on. The Russians are clearly meddling and we have members of our govt traveling there to kiss their ass.  If you’re not in awe of how crazy this mess is...you’re the deranged one.  

And to be clear I don’t think there’s a vast conspiracy.  The president is an unwitting stooge at the least.  Probably got some sweet cash from the rooskies in his real estate deals.  Not a true quid pro quo.  Still fascinating.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Everything I don't like is derangement.

It’s pretty amusing.

I suppose chemical plants should be allowed to dump toxic waste in our drinking water and be unhindered from government regulation  because  “free market!”  Those authoritarian laws that protect people from harm are so oppressive.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s mind boggling what’s going on. The Russians are clearly meddling and we have members of our govt traveling there to kiss their ass.  If you’re not in awe of how crazy this mess is...you’re the deranged one.  

And to be clear I don’t think there’s a vast conspiracy.  The president is an unwitting stooge at the least.  Probably got some sweet cash from the rooskies in his real estate deals.  Not a true quid pro quo.  Still fascinating.  

i believe this fact is lost on conservatives.  all they see is "witch hunt!"

I don’t know what the solution is, but clearly there is a problem. 

I should have the right to propagandize. 

I should have the right to tell lies. 

I should have the right to distort. 

I should have the right to confuse. 

It is just amazing that this is where the front lines of the First Amendment fights are these days. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Regarding vast conspiracy, I don’t think Trump is some mastermind or knew of everything the Russians were/are doing but when he was informed about it, he continued to protect Russia from being held accountable and still does to this day. 

• Like 1

Are you upset when the US government does it?
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

maninblack is an open borders proponent. We are all world citizens, there is no difference between nations.

I'm not open borders, but the hypocrisy from people here about this when our gov't does the same shit and worse is laughable.  The Russians HAD NO EFFECT  on the presidential campaign.  We on the other hand have hand picked puppet rulers for decades, when it struck our fancy.

I don't want countries meddling in our political system, nor do I want us doing it either (SEE:  Central and South America, Iran, Iraq,  Africa, the list goes on for the US.).

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not open borders, but the hypocrisy from people here about this when our gov't does the same shit and worse is laughable.  The Russians HAD NO EFFECT  on the presidential campaign.  

You have no idea if this is true or not.  All evidence points to a not insignificant chance that they did.  Your bias is what's laughable.

• Like 1

The internets gave stupid people a forum they never had before and they gave them inroads into what was previously space that I controlled.    They are in my face.

I'm still thinking the free market will fix this problem.  It's my responsibility to police the media I expose myself to.

1)Block out media outlets that don't try to provide accurate information.

2) Remember to counter your own biases by finding at least one "counter" forum you trust or can tolerate.

3) Limit your daily intake of current news to some reasonable amount less than an hour a day.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You have no idea if this is true or not.  All evidence points to a not insignificant chance that they did.  Your bias is what's laughable.

Bias ?  Nah just a healthy does of reality.  You and Hugo should try it sometime. Short of rigging actual ballot boxes the Russians didn't do shit. Any effort on their part was only aided by the democrats choice for a nominee. The worst candidate in history, BTW, even if it was her time because she was a woman.  She couldn't even beat Trump. That's a shitty candidate right there.....

But hey, ignore the other actual known FACTS of our meddling in other countries affairs.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

LOLOL at saying Russia had no effect on the election. There has been a tremendous amount of data to support the notion that they successfully targeted many voters with their constant pushing of false information on Facebook. How on earth is that not having any sort of effect?

• Like 2

Bias ?  Nah just a healthy does of reality.  You and Hugo should try it sometime. Short of rigging actual ballot boxes the Russians didn't do shit.

You'll note that I didn't claim the Russians succeeded.  You claimed they didn't.  Who here is blinded?  

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Who cares if the Russians had no effect?  If someone meddles with the instruments of our democracy that shouldn't be tolerated.  Whether it's Russian hackers or people trying to vote twice.

I don't "tolerate it", but I do think it's chickens coming home to roost based on what we've done for decades. But that's all cool.... I guess with some folks....

14 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

LOLOL at saying Russia had no effect on the election. There has been a tremendous amount of data to support the notion that they successfully targeted many voters with their constant pushing of false information on Facebook. How on earth is that not having any sort of effect?

Jesus Christ. Any one who was gonna vote for Hillary was not going to switch their vote to Trump.  The ignorance in your suggestion is staggering.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Jesus Christ. Any one who was gonna vote for Hillary was not going to switch their vote to Trump.  The ignorance in your suggestion is staggering.

Double  holy shit.  Do you bother to think before you post?  Is this ^^^ the only scenario that matters?:

• Like 1

You are way off on this Onboard.

Trump could have gained so much middle of the road support if he had simply stated that the Russians had no effect but that it was Obama's fault and that he was going to put our best resources into making sure this never happened again. 

If 50,000 illegals had voted for Hillary in Texas, it wouldn't have affected the election either, but it certainly would be something we would want to make sure didn't happen again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dude, think for a moment.

Did Putin need Hillary voters to switch to Trump in order to help Trump win? He could convince Hillary voters to do any of the following, and still help Trump:

1. Not show up and vote at all

2. Cast a vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson

3. Write in Bernie Sanders

14 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Dude, think for a moment.

Did Putin need Hillary voters to switch to Trump in order to help Trump win? He could convince Hillary voters to do any of the following, and still help Trump:

1. Not show up and vote at all

2. Cast a vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson

3. Write in Bernie Sanders

or sway the undecided/apathetic to get out and vote Trump.  Onboard struggles with complex problems.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey dumbass, it has been shown that droves of people who normally don't vote at all came out to vote for Trump, not people switching parties.

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

why anyone engages with onboard is beyond me. he's a bomb thrower with no interest in stretching his brain in these discussions. his goal is to minimize those with a certain political bent, while never taking a positive stance on their opposition. 

in other words, he voted for gary johnson.

You have to have a brain to stretch to actually discuss something.

He just throws in Fox News talking points, mocks everyone else and plays victim. Remember, this is guy who blamed the Democrats for making him vote for Trump.

The idea that we're supposed to just accept interference in our own elections because ....well, we've done it, too, is intellectually dishonest at best, if you're willing to be very generous re: the motivations of one floating that idea.

Today, the reflexive defense argument of "glass houses" is consistently used to justify ever more abhorrent behavior.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:
1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Read more  

Are you upset when the US government does it?

When we are on their level, murdering citizens, I’ll probably be ‘upset’ as you put it.  

But your type fascinates me.  You’re totally ok with Russia and their bullshit, full well knowing they’re fucking with our country. Because we may do it too.   Interesting. 

^ I remember seeing something similar pop on my Facebook feed. I was very surprised and disappointed that the person who shared it would do so. It was not shared to mock it for being ridiculous.

On a related note, it was seeing shit like that on a daily basis that led me to permanently axe my Facebook account. The only thing that site is good for is to find out which of your friends, coworkers, and acquaintances are not-so-secretly stupid/racist/awful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Somebody posts a meme of Jesus arm wrestling Satan on the Internet.

The American Republic and Democracy is brought to it's knees.

02dc-ads-army-of-jesus-superJumbo.png?qu

If you clicked a 'like' button to help Jesus beat Satan in an arm-wrestling match to supposedly decide the presidency of the United States last year, you clicked right into the hands of the Russians.

Lawmakers on Wednesday released a few of the 3,000 fake ads purchased on Facebook by a Russian propaganda firm last year leading up to last year's presidential election. The release included ads' metadata, revealing which viewers the Russian effort targeted and their success.

They include an ad from a bogus group, "Army of Jesus," that pits the son of God against Hillary Clinton and targeted Facebook users who had "liked" topics such as God, Christianity, the Bible and Bill O'Reilly. Another ad, from the fake group "Blacktivist," targeted users who liked human rights and Malcolm X with an ad about the Black Panthers. 

"Russia was able to weaponize your platforms to divide us," Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., told attorneys for Facebook, Google and Twitter on Wednesday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/11/01/onpolitics-today-army-jesus-how-russia-messed-americans-online/823842001/

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz