Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

Re: the shark video...

At one point you can see he still has some fish that he caught tied to him. Ditching them would've been a good idea. I'd imagine that's part of the instruction you receive from the captain before jumping in... if you see a White, cut your stringer immediately. Guess that might be hard to remember in the moment though

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Re: the shark video...

At one point you can see he still has some fish that he caught tied to him. Ditching them would've been a good idea. I'd imagine that's part of the instruction you receive from the captain before jumping in... if you see a White, cut your stringer immediately. Guess that might be hard to remember in the moment though

i think it went well beyond the fish.  the white wanted to assert his dominance and announce his presence with authority.

30d324f6f75985f1aca51bdc5fce5af8f0d705b1

found this funny description on reddit.

This is actually an excellent display of dominance behavior.

If you look at the shark in the beginning of the video, you can see it's pectoral fins are at a "medium" setting. They aren't out flat, but they aren't down, either. This is a slightly aggressive posture, and it's basically saying, "Hey, buddy. Either back off, or show deference. Oh, and give me that food."

The problems start when the diver doesn't back down, and worse, aims the speargun at the shark.

Now, the shark doesn't necessarily understand the concept of the gun? But they do understand that it's an extension of the diver being extended in their direction, and therefore a threat.

Little pipsqueak threatening a big animal?

Sharky don't play that.

The fins go down, and that's your last chance to either back off...or back off faster. Because just like an F-14 Tomcat swinging it's wings back, the shark is now in fast maneuver mode, and is ready to attack. You can also see the tail kink a bit in order to give a fast burst of speed for the rush attack.

In this particular instance, the diver actually manages to out-moxie the shark. They successfully fended it off, showing that no, they aren't just a poseur punk, and can actually hold their own.

That's where you see the pectoral fins come back up from F-14 Attack Mode to Cruising Mode again. Basically the shark has decided that the risk is greater than the possible rewards, because this psycho critter is willing to fight back, and just doesn't understand that they are small.

Edited by crash_davis

On 10/13/2019 at 3:46 AM, bamachine said:

I know it is not using the ground as a primary propulsion mechanism, while at height. Still, whatever is below likely plays a small part(just like prevailing air streams), especially once it gets low enough. Hence a constantly changing and moving surface would make it that much harder to control an already wonky system of flight.

Then again, I am not an aeronautics engineer, so I may be way out in left field.

I also get that is not what happened to this particular jet. You can see some form of explosion before it hits the deck. Just an observation about adding more difficulty to controlling an already flaky piece of equipment.

Those things hover over the fucking ocean all the time before sliding sideways onto a heaving carrier deck all the time.  

On 10/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, crash_davis said:

pfft, he's an old fucker.  here on surly, wer'e all bad asses.  i bet any one of us could take him.

Reminds me a bit from Richard Pryor about his one time in a Ring with Ali and then began worrying if Ali knew this was for show and not having Frazier flashbacks. 

2 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Ok. I clicked on the link. It’s a nondescript story about a guy breaking into a car and stealing a gun. 
My question is, how in the hell do you run that story, with that picture, without addressing the elephant man skull?!?  What the hell, editor? !?

Edited by nnm