2019 RB Derrian Brown

texifornia

If he coded, he might need a chest tube for injuries from compressions. “Chest tube” may also be used here rather loosely to refer to a large central venous catheter. I would think the latter is more likely.
I'm thinking chest tube. Have a hard time believing any internist is going to take out his access prio to extubation.

Great news that he is breathing on his own.

4 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

If he coded, he might need a chest tube for injuries from compressions. “Chest tube” may also be used here rather loosely to refer to a large central venous catheter. I would think the latter is more likely.

Another possibility in an emergency setting could be someone dropping the lung putting in a central line. Assuming his neck wasn’t cleared to remove the C-collar. Especially if he went to a Universiry hospital, it’s possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoJames said:

I'm thinking chest tube. Have a hard time believing any internist is going to take out his access prio to extubation.

Great news that he is breathing on his own.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Another possibility in an emergency setting could be someone dropping the lung putting in a central line. Assuming his neck wasn’t cleared to remove the C-collar. Especially if he went to a Universiry hospital, it’s possible. 

He has a known intracranial process. There is the obvious talk of pressure. The classic way to track CPP is MAP - ICP. If the concerns about ICP are waning, having a CVL to keep close track of MAP becomes less important. It is pretty standard to have a CVL early on in cases like this, and it would be a bit unusual for it to be the primary access. It is for CPP management with a peripheral IV for routine access. But I agree we can't know for sure that he doesn't have a pneumo, too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

He has a known intracranial process. There is the obvious talk of pressure. The classic way to track CPP is MAP - ICP. If the concerns about ICP are waning, having a CVL to keep close track of MAP becomes less important. It is pretty standard to have a CVL early on in cases like this, and it would be a bit unusual for it to be the primary access. It is for CPP management with a peripheral IV for routine access. But I agree we can't know for sure that he doesn't have a pneumo, too.

Can you get off your ass and go cure him already, so he can be healthy?

In all seriousness, appreciate your time posting

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

If you could please spell that out, the rest of us might have a puncher’s chance of comprehending what you are saying.

Thanks though.

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

If you could please spell that out, the rest of us might have a puncher’s chance of comprehending what you are saying.

Thanks though.

Sorry. That was directed more at docs. A chest tube is a big fat tube to suck blood or air from between the rib cage and the lungs. You wouldn’t normally have one for a brain clot. We are hashing out what the family means by chest tube. It is entirely possible that his lung got popped (understandably and accidentally) by people caring for him and that he really had a chest tube. I speculated that the family may be calling a “chest tube” what is truly a tube sticking into his chest but would be termed a “central venous line/catheter” or CVL. This can be used for several things, but one is putting a sensor in the bloodstream to take accurate pressure measurements at the heart. These measurements are also often taken in an artery at the wrist. MAP is short for mean arterial pressure. ICP (measured with a probe inside the skull) is intracranial pressure. CPP is cerebral perfusion pressure. If MAP is not enough above ICP, the blood doesn’t get pushed into brain tissue from the arteries up there. Docs monitor these pressures on guys with swollen brains to be able to tweak them with drugs or positioning tricks, know when it is OK to worry less, and know when it may be time to take off a piece of skull to decompress the brain. Pneumo is short for pneumothorax— air between the rib cage and the lung, usually from a popped lung.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sorry. That was directed more at docs. A chest tube is a big fat tube to suck blood or air from between the rib cage and the lungs. You wouldn’t normally have one for a brain clot. We are hashing out what the family means by chest tube. It is entirely possible that his lung got popped (understandably and accidentally) by people caring for him and that he really had a chest tube. I speculated that the family may be calling a “chest tube” what is truly a tube sticking into his chest but would be termed a “central venous line/catheter” or CVL. This can be used for several things, but one is putting a sensor in the bloodstream to take accurate pressure measurements at the heart. These measurements are also often taken in an artery at the wrist. MAP is short for mean arterial pressure. ICP (measured with a probe inside the skull) is intracranial pressure. CPP is cerebral perfusion pressure. If MAP is not enough above ICP, the blood doesn’t get pushed into brain tissue from the arteries up there. Docs monitor these pressures on guys with swollen brains to be able to tweak them with drugs or positioning tricks, know when it is OK to worry less, and know when it may be time to take off a piece of skull to decompress the brain. Pneumo is short for pneumothorax— air between the rib cage and the lung, usually from a popped lung.

You must watch a lot of Grey’s Anatomy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, texifornia said:

It's too late to stop every Longhorn fan donating, and this isn't an official school-sponsored page *cough*like TexAgs*cough*, so it wouldn't be a problem.

From the NCAAs perspective, there is a big difference between a fan message board blasting out the GFM link and endorsing it (which is why BON took it down) vs a bunch of random fans on the message board just sharing between themselves.  Please go donate, but I wouldn’t sticky it until UT compliance clears it.

Morning update:

Good morning, for two days Derrian has been breathing mostly on his own, today the said that today they will come down and check the air around the vent to make sure air is coming around it so that they can take him off so if not today definitely tomorrow.

Added:

So newest update.... sorry for the pause he pasted the test and in the next half hour they will remove the vent, so let pray really hard that everything goes well and they won't have to put it back in. I LOVE ALL OF YOU AND DERRIAN DOES TOO. THANK YA'LL SO MUCH

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Morning update:
Good morning, for two days Derrian has been breathing mostly on his own, today the said that today they will come down and check the air around the vent to make sure air is coming around it so that they can take him off so if not today definitely tomorrow.

Just updated again:

So newest update.... sorry for the pause he pasted the test and in the next half hour they will remove the vent, so let pray really hard that everything goes well and they won't have to put it back in. I LOVE ALL OF YOU AND DERRIAN DOES  TOO. THANK YA'LL SO MUCH😘😘😘

On 2/6/2019 at 6:28 AM, Magus Ossis said:

On 2/6/2019 at 6:40 AM, South Austin said:

You must watch a lot of Grey’s Anatomy.

I prefer Doctor X for squishy medical drama.

Update:

Good morning, sorry for not posting in the last couple of days, it's been crazy and blessing happening back to back. Well for those who don't know Derrian started talking the day after he started walking. They have now moved him from ICU to a regular room. Keep the prays coming we still have a long road ahead, the God I serve is powerful than an man. And Derrian is showing that he is showing up and showing out. Tuesday or Thursday he will be going to a rehab center if everything continues to stay in good standing. I and my family can't THANK YOU ALL enough for your love, blessing and prays. WE LOVE YA'LL 💚💛🧡🤘🏾

• Like 5

Lunchtime update:

Okay, updated The neurologist just came by and at the doctor's request they don't want any visitors for a couple days. He needs to rest. The weekend activities was wonderful for Derrian, but we think it has overwhelmed him. I just updated but the neurologist came and said he need rest. Thank you for being understanding.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

If I'm understanding the latest update correctly, Derrian will be transferred to a physical therapy center next week, right? 

I read that as actually working with a PT vs walking down the hall with a nurse.  

Not that he is being discharged.

Update from last night:

Everyday Derrian get's stronger and stronger and is setting his own goals and he said that 3 to 4 weeks he is out and ready to run that football for Texas. His first full day of therapy and he ROCKED IT!!! That's my boy!!! DB3 STRONG!!! HE keeps me strong. 💚🧡💚🧡

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Update from last night:

Everyday Derrian get's stronger and stronger and is setting his own goals and he said that 3 to 4 weeks he is out and ready to run that football for Texas. His first full day of therapy and he ROCKED IT!!! That's my boy!!! DB3 STRONG!!! HE keeps me strong. 💚🧡💚🧡

Great news.... Thanks 🤘