Jump to content
F250

The movie you just watched

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2019 at 6:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

FX's Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce is brilliant. They've taken one of my favorite classic stories and brought it to life in a singularly deft way.

Time  has made given the story too much to jolly caricature and removed the edge that I believe Dickens intended. That's back. The creative team also explores some motivations quite well.

This movie was a great surprise.

We enjoyed it very much as well. Scrooge was much darker in this one, to good effect.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honeyland on Hulu. A doc about a rural beekeeper in Macedonia. A quiet, poignant film. Nominated for an Academy Award for best documentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Brightburn.  Didn't care for it or feel it lived up to the praise it received.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just watched Brightburn.  Didn't care for it or feel it lived up to the praise it received.  
Did this get praise upon release? I remember kind of a collective shoulder shrug. It wasn't good but I didn't hate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Watched Nacho Libre with the kids for the first time. They were cracking up. Definitely holds up.

Pretty much used about once a month in our house, after any particularly dull meal.  (I'm pretty much this kid with grey hair and a less cool shirt.)

0d0f9368c747ddf12590ab5e2169b4fb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tantric superman Stalker has been on my watchlist  on Criterion Channel for quite some time but I'm having trouble getting myself to dig in and suck down 3 more hours of Tarkovsky.  Was it worth watching even thought you didn't "get it"?

I checked out Shivers this morning.  It is bonkers even by Cronenberg standards and, per usual for Cronenberg, there's a bunch of crazy ideas in there that I haven't quite been able to walk myself through quite yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

@tantric superman Stalker has been on my watchlist  on Criterion Channel for quite some time but I'm having trouble getting myself to dig in and suck down 3 more hours of Tarkovsky.  Was it worth watching even thought you didn't "get it"?

Boy that's tough.  It actually is my first Tarkovsky.

If a filmmaker's audacity gives you a kick "ha ha, he really is going to make me watch a two minutes of these guys standing still in a forest!" then you might enjoy it.  It is a pretty movie.  I think if you are into some of the cinematography he does some interesting things, although I don't think I know enough about the technical aspect to really appreciate it.   Some individual images are beautiful.

I'd keep it in the queue, and when you feel like watching what is the equivalent of a half-marathon, give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I saw Uncut Gems over the holidays.  Man, what a beating.  It was good, but I did not enjoy the experience.  I was literally rooting for Sandler's character to get murdered just so I wouldn't have to watch him continue to make stupid decisions.  The entire movie was loud and extremely frantic.  After an hour I was desperately looking for a nice quiet moment where nothing was happening.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more watching at home where I could take occasional breaks.  It was just too much for my old ass.  

I'm starting to think my movie viewing has changed considerably over the past 20 years.  In 1999, when I was an insufferable movie snob, I think I'd have enjoyed this movie.  Now, I just can't stand watching movies about fucking losers making bad decisions the entire time.  It reminded me how I felt when I walked out of White Boy Rick.  I couldn't find a thread on this movie but I'm curious what other people thought of this movie.  

 

edit:  I did a search and, though there isn't a thread for the movie, most of the comments I read from this thread pretty much thought the same thing.  

Edited by Go Pokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I saw Uncut Gems over the holidays.  Man, what a beating.  It was good, but I did not enjoy the experience.  I was literally rooting for Sandler's character to get murdered just so I wouldn't have to watch him continue to make stupid decisions.  The entire movie was loud and extremely frantic.  After an hour I was desperately looking for a nice quiet moment where nothing was happening.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more watching at home where I could take occasional breaks.  It was just too much for my old ass.  

I'm starting to think my movie viewing has changed considerably over the past 20 years.  In 1999, when I was an insufferable movie snob, I think I'd have enjoyed this movie.  Now, I just can't stand watching movies about fucking losers making bad decisions the entire time.  It reminded me how I felt when I walked out of White Boy Rick.  I couldn't find a thread on this movie but I'm curious what other people thought of this movie.  

 

edit:  I did a search and, though there isn't a thread for the movie, most of the comments I read from this thread pretty much thought the same thing.  

Almost word-for-word. I generally like Sandler, and thought his acting here was fine, he played a part I hadn't really seen him in before, and was serious the entire damn movie, but it was indeed a beating. It seemed like they were force-feeding him these frantic scenes so he could do his trademark yell and make some noise, which didn't really add much to the movie. I'm also not a fan of being thrown into the shit without a second to even get to know the characters. The pacing was odd as hell. Had no idea why I was supposed to care about his mistress when they gave her a big scene, and by the end of the movie I was also relieved with the twist.

I agree the experience was not enjoyable, I didn't actually enjoy sitting there watching the movie, and that seems like a cardinal sin in movie-making, but to call the movie itself "good" is also not something I'd be willing to say. The story/script was ok at best, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncut Gems was the feel good movie of the year because

Spoiler

I spent two hours hoping someone would shoot Adam Sandler in the fucking face and someone shot Adam Sandler in the fucking face.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

 


I’m not smart enough to know what this means.

 

The harmonium was one of the rackets in the loud yet quiet Punch Drunk Love, Sandler's best ever movie.  I really liked what PTA did with the sound in Punch Drunk, but it stressed me out.

I saw Good Time, which was directed by the Uncut Gems director, and it was a fucking jackhammer to the head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncut Gems was the feel good movie of the year because
Spoiler

I spent two hours hoping someone would shoot Adam Sandler in the fucking face and someone shot Adam Sandler in the fucking face.

 


I can’t argue with this. I did the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I had never seen Super Troopers until just now.  Pretty fucking funny movie.

The captain won a fucking golden globe last night lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The harmonium was one of the rackets in the loud yet quiet Punch Drunk Love, Sandler's best ever movie.  I really liked what PTA did with the sound in Punch Drunk, but it stressed me out.

I saw Good Time, which was directed by the Uncut Gems director, and it was a fucking jackhammer to the head.

 

Holy shit, I left the movie thinking of Good Time, which I streamed years ago on my laptop. I don't remember much about the movie other than it was average, but super chaotic and trying to be "edgy" with all the street shit. It's allllll making sense now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pretty much used about once a month in our house, after any particularly dull meal.  (I'm pretty much this kid with grey hair and a less cool shirt.)
0d0f9368c747ddf12590ab5e2169b4fb.jpg

Yup. My kids haven’t seen it but I use the diarrhea line all the time and it slays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only Angles Have Wings (1939)

tumblr_p8vpveZwPs1wq23t5o1_400.gifv

One of the greatest old flicks with one giant flaw.  I thought Jean Arthur (not the above smoking broad) was terrible in the movie.  In a way she was perfect, because no one took her seriously, but there was just nothing there.  I think a different female lead might have made this movie a whole lot more interesting.   But I guess it was a film about the flying.

Although there have been tons of remakes, this strikes me as something that would make an excellent remake, giving a whole lot of young actors a chance to shine and making some really cool flying scenes that much cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Factory (2019)

Saw it get a lot of buzz as a potential Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary and it lived up to the hype. Great story about a Chinese company who buys a shut down factory in Ohio and the story of how these 2 cultures collide. Lots of anti-union sentiment in the latter half of the movie but otherwise stays out of the way while we observe this community trying to forge a relationship with this company and their Chinese workers. Very enjoyable film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, tantric superman said:

Only Angles Have Wings (1939)

tumblr_p8vpveZwPs1wq23t5o1_400.gifv

One of the greatest old flicks with one giant flaw.  I thought Jean Arthur (not the above smoking broad) was terrible in the movie.  In a way she was perfect, because no one took her seriously, but there was just nothing there.  I think a different female lead might have made this movie a whole lot more interesting.   But I guess it was a film about the flying.

Although there have been tons of remakes, this strikes me as something that would make an excellent remake, giving a whole lot of young actors a chance to shine and making some really cool flying scenes that much cooler.

Only Angels Have Wings is one of my all time favorites. Calling Baranca! I gotta disagree with your assessment of Jean Arthur. She's a sweetheart. Kinda naive, kinda road smart, all sexy. While she didn't have the smoldering sexuality of Rita, she could hold her own. And that voice could just melt you.

Been on a baseball movie kick this weekend with Major League, League of Their Own, Moneyball and stumbled across a new one on Amazon called Bottom of the 9th. Guy from The Bronx gets a MLB contract then kills a guy in a fight and goes to prison for 9 years. When he gets out his old Minor League coach gives him a shot at redemption. Not great, not bad. Joe Manganiello and Sofia Vergara.

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to accept my opinion isn't popular on Jean Arthur in Only Angels.  I didn't want a whole lot more, just someone a bit more intriguing.  If not a sex pot, just someone who might have been more interesting to Cary Grant.  Kate Hepburn, Stanwick maybe someone lower key but who had an edge that might have truly captured the imagination of someone as focused on other shit as Grant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 11:45 AM, HRSchenker said:

American Factory (2019)

Saw it get a lot of buzz as a potential Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary and it lived up to the hype. Great story about a Chinese company who buys a shut down factory in Ohio and the story of how these 2 cultures collide. Lots of anti-union sentiment in the latter half of the movie but otherwise stays out of the way while we observe this community trying to forge a relationship with this company and their Chinese workers. Very enjoyable film. 

Very good movie. Appreciated the directors didn’t try to push the narrative in any way, which they easily could of given the material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stranger (1946) - Minor Orson Welles but definitely worth a look.  The callback to the Xanadu shots from the beginning of Citizen Kane Welles did with the church at the beginning was nice.  I never really felt any kind of suspense but Welles and Edward G. Robinson turned in good performances and it's a great looking film.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RPM said:

Been on a baseball movie kick this weekend with Major League, League of Their Own, Moneyball and stumbled across a new one on Amazon called Bottom of the 9th. Guy from The Bronx gets a MLB contract then kills a guy in a fight and goes to prison for 9 years. When he gets out his old Minor League coach gives him a shot at redemption. Not great, not bad. Joe Manganiello and Sofia Vergara.

You better not be trying any funny business out there, rum-pot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Very good movie. Appreciated the directors didn’t try to push the narrative in any way, which they easily could of given the material. 

Completely agree.  For much of the movie I was thinking, "Here comes the part where the union is made out to be the hero" or "Here's where the Chinese culture shows up the American/factory/union complex.  But it didn't.  It made both "sides" look both flawed AND sympathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Just watched Midsommar. 
 

um. 
 

uh. 
 

wow. 

Yeah just saw it (it is streaming on Prime) WTF. Cool visuals but I have no idea what I just saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like A Boss

Selma still super sexy..

I'm a fan of T. Haddish

but no lie, about halfway through someone hells BORING!..

I laughed....

Then as we are walking out this guy is just blasting the movie.. "waste of time" "wtf was that shit"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JoJo Rabbit 

Went in not sure what to expect other than a black comedy. Laughed my ass off the first act. Then it got dark and never really recovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Upon a Time in America finishing up on TCM, been years since I’ve watched it, fantastic movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Yesterday last night.  Simple premise that never developed into a reasonable conclusion*.  Pleasant enough acting - the female lead was really cute.  Singing was mostly slightly above average with a few stinkers (singing was way better in Across the Universe).

*

Spoiler

I kept waiting for the protagonist to wake up from a coma - it was all a dream!  But that didn't happen, so WTF on a few people remembering a reality that apparently didn't happen.  It made no damn sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoJo Rabbit 
Went in not sure what to expect other than a black comedy. Laughed my ass off the first act. Then it got dark and never really recovered.


The over-heiling house inspection and his chubby friend at the end didn’t lighten it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Wallace Is Here

Liked it...and Putin speaks English.

 

Edited by Mdhorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Mike Wallace Is Here

Liked it...and Putin speaks English.

 

Yeah, I gotta see this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Dark, and depressing. 

I mentioned this many pages back.  The attempt at humor is very dark, but the real realities of what men will do to each other to survive is on full display.  
I would watch it again. 
 

black and white with subtitles tends to keep me engaged. This movie, dealing with the chaos of the now losing Nazis and nature of the psychotic ‘Captain’ never let up. 
Still trying to understand the video when the credits are rolling at the end.  Where the characters (in uniform) are roaming around a town, in present day, seemingly harassing folks on the street.  The city folks look genuinely confused and frightened. I could see those guys getting an ass kicking by trying that in this country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...