The movie you just watched

F250

Just now, lateshow said:

Not big on Rebel Without a Cause, huh? 

Nope. I mean I wanna smash Natalie Wood, but the rest of the film, meh. Dean's overacted teenage angst bores me. That period of method acting mostly annoys me. Not a fan of older Rink in Giant, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Nope. I mean I wanna smash Natalie Wood, but the rest of the film, meh. Dean's overacted teenage angst bores me. That period of method acting mostly annoys me. Not a fan of older Rink in Giant, either.

I'm not a big fan of it, either. It's okay, but like you, a lot of meh for me. 

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Air Force One.

Son picked it out of a pile of DVD’s at a AirBNB.

I commented to my wife that I hadn’t seen it since its release in the 90’s.  Turns out there is good reason.  Pretty big waste of a pile of big name actors. Oldman, Ford, Macy, Close.

Get off my plane!

• Haha 1

State and Main.  Pretty good making of a movie in a movie movie, Mamet written, set in an idyllic New England village.  Think Far Side "when worlds collide."  Wm H Macy as the director, Alec Baldwin as horndog lead actor, Charles Durning as mayor, scads of familiar names and faces, too many to list.  All in all, a sweet use of holiday time with a worthy number of amusing lines.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:04 PM, RPM said:

Saw for first time recently.  Very disappointing.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's legitimately incredible - a spy movie that doesn't rely on cheap action, fist/gunfights, car chases, etc. but rather on excellent dialogue, acting, and a great story.

Any recommendations for similar movies?

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's legitimately incredible - a spy movie that doesn't rely on cheap action, fist/gunfights, car chases, etc. but rather on excellent dialogue, acting, and a great story.

The Good Shepherd (Damon, DeNiro) is somewhat similar.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Wife was watching Spy Games last night, and as I walked by, she said "This is a bit like Tinker Tailor whatever". 

I wouldn't trust her but that's what she said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gave Hostiles another go.  First time I watched it I was luke warm on it.  This time around I really enjoyed it.  Maybe a few lines of dialogue I thought could have been left out, but overall, very good movie.

damns solid western 

the life and times of judge roy bean - sucked

flashpoint - good watch. hbo's first original movie 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

the life and times of judge roy bean - sucked

Oh come on! It's a great western comedy and it will grow on you. I didn't like when it came out, but I love it now. Newman was great.

Just now, Continental Op said:

The Petrified Forest - Young Bette Davis and Young Leslie Howard meet, fall in love, and get held up in a remote cafe by Young Humphrey Bogart and his band of criminals.  Howard was great and it was interesting to see Bogart play a villain.  

That movie almost typecast Bogart as Duke Mantee. But he rebounded nicely with John Huston's High Sierra a few years later.

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

He played a villain in Roaring Twenties as well.  Kind of crazy that he didn't wind up stuck doing that his whole career.  

He was hung in that role for 5-6 years. High Sierra allowed him to break out of that stereotype (even though he was still a hood). 

Universal Soldier.

I enjoyed it. It's cheesy and not particularly well-acted but the pacing is good, it's interesting enough, the dialouge isn't terrible and it's pretty graphic and dark. 

I've been doing a good amount of 80s/90s action cheese lately (Die Hard 2, Demolition Man, Total Recall to name a few others. Shit like that). Something about them fascinates me. Really different stylistically than what sells today.

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

DH2 and TR are not "action cheese."

DH2 absolutely is. It's absurd from the first 10 minutes. I mean the tagline on the poster is "die harder".

Total Recall you're probably right about. 

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, RPM said:

He was hung in that role for 5-6 years. High Sierra allowed him to break out of that stereotype (even though he was still a hood). 

He (Bogart) was pretty much on the wrong side in many movies:

King of the Underworld (1939)

Dark Passage (1947)

Bullets or Ballots (1936)

Brother Orchid (1940)

Conflict (1945)

On 1/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, satyanash said:

Any of the John Le Carre adaptations should qualify.  Since Le Carre just died in Dec. there should be a lot of articles regarding the best ones. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/movies/john-le-carre-netflix.html

The British tv series for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People are on regular youtube.  Alec Guinness plays Smiley and he as always is terrific.  A current viewer has to get past the late 70s visuals, but I think the acting and directing are really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, Parliament said:

The Martian.  It's science was very good and believable until near the end.  Fell off some, but I'll give them a pass.  All in all it was a very well-made movie; a fresh take on an old trope. And it's good to see Ridley Scott still has it.

I've seen it several times.  Very re-watchable and fun movie.  

Bridge of Spies falls in that category. Tom Hanks in East Berlin. Not as good as TTSS, but still good.

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m watching Eyes Wide Shut for the first time. Patiently waiting for it to get super f***ed up, because Kubrick. 

edit: That didn’t take long. 

Pretty good. Watched for the first time recently. It's 40 minutes too long. 

The BBC series is even better.  Really excellent television.