Looks Like We Have Another Fake Hate Crime

Kyle

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/22/nascar-says-person-responsible-for-putting-noose-in-wallaces-garage-will-be-banned-for-life.html

Phelps said investigators were looking at camera footage in the garage and who could have had access to the area.

“We have a very small number of people that are in the footprint (of the garage), only essential personnel there ... We’ll review the entire list with the FBI about who had access at that particular time,” Phelps said.

NASCAR is in trouble. They were in trouble already from a viewership perspective (super speedway races are almost unwatchable) but now they have told the Cletii they can’t fly their “heritage” flags. I don’t know how they shift their fan base.

I took a black coworker to Talladega years ago and we sat in the stands with some hardcore tatted up rednecks and they couldn’t have been nicer to him. Offering beers, explaining the race, etc. Some of them really believe that heritage-not-hate stuff. But the swastika had other connotations before the 3rd Reich got ahold of it too. It’s not up to them any more.

• Like 1

Living close to Talladega it wasn’t going to surprise me if someone did it but like someone up above said there are some good rednecks that are very friendly at races. I am glad this was just a misunderstanding. It’s not fair to compare Bubba to the piece of shit Jussie. It also is a lesson on waiting until all the facts come out before making a judgement even though it will happen again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

A crew member for Richard Petty Motorsports discovered the noose Sunday at the Alabama race track. NASCAR was alerted and contacted the FBI, which sent 15 agents to the track to investigate.

15 of their top men to investigate.  The equivalent of this:

Union strike causing gas price increase. | Chicago Bears Board

reminds me of this..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nooses-in-oakland-park-were-exercise-aids-man-says/ar-BB15DP8G

Oakland’s mayor said five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident said they are merely exercise equipment that he put up there months ago.

Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wedesday that a hate crime investigation was under way after a social media post identified a noose at the city’s popular Lake Merritt. Police said they searched the area on Tuesday and found five ropes attached to trees.

The Police Department provided five photographs of trees, some of which showed knotted ropes and one that appeared to have a piece of plastic pipe attached to a rope, hanging from tree limbs.

They have been removed by city officials.

Victor Sengbe, who is black, told KGO-TV that the ropes were part of a rigging that he and his friends used as part of a larger swing system. He also shared video of the swing in use.

“Out of the dozen and hundreds and thousands of people that walked by, no one has thought that it looked anywhere close to a noose. Folks have used it for exercise. It was really a fun addition to the park that we tried to create,” Sengbe said.

“It’s unfortunate that a genuine gesture of just wanting to have a good time got misinterpreted into something so heinous,” he told the station.

Nooses have been associated with the lynching of black people and used as symbols to taunt or terrorize African Americans.

Schaaf said officials must “start with the assumption that these are hate crimes.” However, the mayor and Nicholas Williams, the city’s director of parks recreation, also said it didn’t matter whether the ropes were meant to send a racist message.

“Intentions don’t matter when it comes to terrorizing the public,” Schaaf said. “It is incumbent on all of us to know the actual history of racial violence, of terrorism, that a noose represents and that we as a city must remove these terrorizing symbols from the public view.”

“The symbolism of the rope hanging in the tree is malicious regardless of intent. It’s evil, and it symbolizes hatred,” Williams said.

Police said several community members came forward during their initial investigation to say the ropes were used for exercise and a man came forward to say he put them up several months ago.

The department said it is conducting a full investigation and had notified the FBI.

“We remind and ask our community to be mindful when using this equipment in a recreational manner. These acts may send an unintended message,” the police statement said. “We recognize especially at this time, that any ropes on or attached to trees, limbs or other objects can be associated with hate crimes and racial violence.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad the NASCAR deal turned out to be a nothing.  Tense times lead to overcautious reporting.  I'm glad it was investigated, found to be a non-issue, and that it is being publicly reported as a non-issue.

There's plenty of actual, verifiable bullshit going around.  It helps when we weed out the things that aren't an issue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It'd be awfully difficult to confuse these with nooses placed as a threat:

Next to impossible for a NASCAR driver who's probably seen his fair share of track garages.  If I were a more cynical person, I might be inclined to believe that a middling driver without much celebrity saw an opportunity to make himself a household name.  I'd never even heard of this guy until a few days ago.

• Like 6

So a portion of our country can go back to idiotically watching the biggest waste of time in motorsports?  Oh thank god.  

Good news is this is actually a return to normalcy.  

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Glad the NASCAR deal turned out to be a nothing.  Tense times lead to overcautious reporting.  I'm glad it was investigated, found to be a non-issue, and that it is being publicly reported as a non-issue.

There's plenty of actual, verifiable bullshit going around.  It helps when we weed out the things that aren't an issue.

LoLz.  you misspelled hysterical overreactions.

a fucking hand rope for the overhead door.. present in each stall.  Who fucking reported it, the intern who had never been in any kind of barn or garage before?

It's hardly limited to the NASCAR scene.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 8

Just now, Iceman said:

LoLz.  you misspelled hysterical overreactions.

a fucking hand rope for the overhead door.   Who fucking reported it, the intern who had never been in any kind of barn or garage before?

Beats me.  But if it was so obvious what it was, then any track official could have just said when it was reported to him "guys....that's the door handle.  It's been there forever," right at the outset.  I note that the half a dozen posts above mine attribute sinister/chickenshit motives to literally every track and NASCAR official.  Occam's razor tells me that it seemed unfamiliar and out of place, and nobody at the track could really recall whether it was there before or not.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Beats me.  But if it was so obvious what it was, then any track official could have just said when it was reported to him "guys....that's the door handle.  It's been there forever," right at the outset.  I note that the half a dozen posts above mine attribute sinister/chickenshit motives to literally every track and NASCAR official.  Occam's razor tells me that it seemed unfamiliar and out of place, and nobody at the track could really recall whether it was there before or not.

It's easy to see how they got caught up in it.

Hell a week ago, it was just a statue of Ulysses S. Grant.   Now it's a threat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

It's easy to see how they got caught up in it.

Hell a week ago, it was just a statue of Ulysses S. Grant.   Now it's a threat.

Yeah, I mean, we all know that a real threat is [checks Next Door] a brown or black person walking in the neighborhood.

It was either a vast NASCAR conspiracy to characterize a jury-rigged door handle as a noose, or someone saw it, thought it looked like a noose, and none of the track officials could say that it had been there for some time.  Occam's razor, dude.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But if it was so obvious what it was, then any track official could have just said when it was reported to him "guys....that's the door handle.  It's been there forever,"

Yeah, because there's zero chance that this would lead to said track official being publicly shamed and possibly losing his job for daring to deny Bubba's truth.  Everyone did what any intelligent person would do ... they kept their fucking mouths shut and let the farce play out.

Edited by TriStone
tide rof nosaeR
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So a portion of our country can go back to idiotically watching the biggest waste of time in motorsports?

and THIS!  I could maybe understand watching one of these races in person, but to watch this shit on TV?  I just don't get it.

1 minute ago, TriStone said:

Yeah, because there's zero change that this would lead to said track official being publicly shamed and possibly losing his job for daring to deny Bubba's truth.  Everyone did what any intelligent person would do ... they kept their fucking mouths shut and let the farce play out.

This is the correct answer.  nobody wanted to jump on that grenade so NASCAR went with it.  the good news is it wasn't a hoax nor a true hate crime.  

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I mean, we all know that a real threat is [checks Next Door] a brown or black person walking in the neighborhood.

It was either a vast NASCAR conspiracy to characterize a jury-rigged door handle as a noose, or someone saw it, thought it looked like a noose, and none of the track officials could say that it had been there for some time.  Occam's razor, dude.

the folks throwing outrage sure don't get off that easy.  Plenty of (what they thought were) easy shots were thrown.

Again, it's hardly limited to this incident.   People need to wake the fuck up and be gotdam human.   Yes, we have serious work to do with regard to equality and justice.   Finding a threat in every damned thing in society isn't where we correct it.  There's a good order of both humility and courage required of folks wanting to solve this.

It seems to be the farthest thing from anyone's mind right now.  Our country is a 4  year old throwing a fit on the floor.   We need a glass of water in the face in the worst way.  After we tear all of this shit up, the work is still going to be there waiting for us.  Will we trust one another?

Not a chance in hell, the way things are going.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 8

I am a very cynical person and the moment this was reported, this always reeked of NASCAR manufacturing this story to show how much of a stance they will take against racism. Like they were trying too hard and wanting to make it too obvious. And the next day, all the drivers standing behind Bubba and all the stations were covering NASCAR. No one ever covers or talks about NASCAR at that level. They got what they wanted. To show their hard stance against racism. I never once believed someone sneaked into a garage with as many cameras and security as they have to hang up a fucking noose. And now it's just passed off as "whoopsy daisy we made a boo boo and all is ok now". But mission accomplished. They got to show the world what they wanted to and got eyes on their sport that never gave a shit before. It was obvious from the jump what was going on but if you said it, you were called out for being a racist. I am all for the BLM and the movement in general but this stunk the second it was reported.

I have zero idea if Bubba and his team were apart of this to get his name out there more but I have no doubts this was manufactured for attention. People kept saying "why would NASCAR plan this, that is such a black eye for their sport". Well this is the perfect way to do it. Have it come out later that it was an honest mistake. Now they get to wash their hands of any racist shit happening inside their premises. It was never going to be a fan or another driver/team member because that would definitely be a black eye.

This kind of reminds me of when Lebron told us someone painted the N word on his fence, you know, inside the premises of his palace that has 985845 cameras rolling and security at all times but he never had a picture or video of it and had it painted over before the cops came. Riiiiiiiight. We have enough racism in this world without people trying to manufacture their own to get everyone riled up.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We can't even admit that there's anything wrong.  Slavery is over, black people are equal, don't know what they're bitching about, the flag is for heritage, not hate, etc.  Trust ain't even on the table.

Who is we?   I got every company I transact with, from my bank to the mope who sprays for bugs, sending me a virtue signaling email about race in America and how their company will be better in the future.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Wallace and NASCAR were so opportunistically stupid

Stupid? This was brilliant. NASCAR had more coverage the last 2 days than they have had the last 2 decades nationwide. You had demographics that didn't give two shits about NASCAR talk about it non stop and even tune into the race yesterday. And NASCAR is really the only "sport" going on right now in this country so they had the stage to themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Stupid? This was brilliant. NASCAR had more coverage the last 2 days than they have had the last 2 decades nationwide. You had demographics that didn't give two shits about NASCAR talk about it non stop and even tune into the race yesterday. And NASCAR is really the only "sport" going on right now in this country so they had the stage to themselves.

I don't think the eyeballs they got because of it stay on it. They're the fool in this play.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Interestingly enough, Nextdoor cancelled 'report to police' feature recently.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/20/21297876/nextdoor-forward-police-racism-messages

Karen gotta do work harder now.

There is a huge lesson in this story, but most of us are not ready for it yet. Much easier to just be lazy and believe the first thing you see/hear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

There is a huge lesson in this story, but most of us are not ready for it yet. Much easier to just be lazy and believe the first thing you see/hear.

On that, I agree with you 100%.  Unless the story is as plain as day, at least let the facts develop a bit before reaching a conclusion, and do your best to question yourself if you're quickly reaching a conclusion you you yourself to be predisposed to.  We're all guilty of it to some degree, but that also means we can do better.

We WON'T, of course.  But, we can.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We can't even admit that there's anything wrong.  Slavery is over, black people are equal, don't know what they're bitching about, the flag is for heritage, not hate, etc.  Trust ain't even on the table.

you listening to white people that even white people make fun of...  and then saying they represent everyone.

You know that isn't remotely true.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I don't think the eyeballs they got because of it stay on it. They're the fool in this play.

Agree with this.  They alienated their loyal fanbase of goobers to do ... what exactly?  Expand their brand?  Yeah, I'm sure young liberals are going to tune in in droves.  They Dixie Chicks'd themselves.

• Like 2

Just now, Iceman said:

you listening to white people that even white people make fun of...  and then saying they represent everyone.

You know that isn't remotely true.

I noted the extreme.....but there are varying degrees of that thinking in the dominant/governing class.  Collectively denying that anything is wrong when it comes to race and policing has been our thing for a long time.  And we really aren't ready to abandon that thinking.  Even the more subtle versions of it.