Jump to content

$9.95 worth every penny


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Freebirds is a billion times better based on queso alone

I'm not going to an American burrito joint for the queso. Freebirds has more options, Chipotle tastes better 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Chipotle, I've never eaten there. I never had much interest when there were better burrito choices nearby. Then they starting killing people. It's like Blue Bell. I've never understood how either group survived the aftermath of their systemic negligence ending lives.

I remember the expose on the grocery chain when I was in junior high where they were bleaching and food-coloring aging meat. I think 60 Minutes did the work. Food Lion or something. I feel like that became an overnight national controversy and ultimately drove them out of business. Drove them out of where I lived, at least, and I mean fucking quick. They were a new store, then they were gone in less than 2 years and directly following that shit. I guess I could Wiki it and see, but that's not the point.

It's like people gave a shit about, you know, people being manslaughtered by food providers, and then the age of Internet Everywhere showed up and the saturation of constant shitty information has led to no one fully giving a fuck any more. "Meh, Chipotle killed people, but they make a semi-mediocre burrito, so fuck it, I'll go there while passing every other equally shitty fast food shack that didn't kill people as far as I know." Okay then. #AndyRooney

damn.. i frequent Food Lion during the week when I forget something on Sundays (Kroger shopping).. had no idea that happened.  Also as I'm in the process of moving, I too had nachos bell grande for dinner last night as I ate alone in the upstairs playroom :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dissent.  The last 2 times I got queso from Freebirds it had approximately 2 lbs of salt/oz.  It was inedible.  Meanwhile Chipotle has that delicious queso blanco.  Fight me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

damn.. i frequent Food Lion during the week when I forget something on Sundays (Kroger shopping).. had no idea that happened.  Also as I'm in the process of moving, I too had nachos bell grande for dinner last night as I ate alone in the upstairs playroom :( 

So are you one of the new analyst on the team or what;)?   

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I dissent.  The last 2 times I got queso from Freebirds it had approximately 2 lbs of salt/oz.  It was inedible.  Meanwhile Chipotle has that delicious queso blanco.  Fight me.

How much did chipotle pay you for this post? I had their queso once and that was more than enough for me. Tastes like the bottom of the crockpot after its been sitting out for 7-8 hours, I never knew queso could be crunchy until I ate chipotle queso

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

How much did chipotle pay you for this post? I had their queso once and that was more than enough for me. Tastes like the bottom of the crockpot after its been sitting out for 7-8 hours, I never knew queso could be crunchy until I ate chipotle queso

If only Chipotle would pay me to eat their delicious fare.  Plus, aggys rave about Freebirds like it's theirs so that's very off putting to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I dissent.  The last 2 times I got queso from Freebirds it had approximately 2 lbs of salt/oz.  It was inedible.  Meanwhile Chipotle has that delicious queso blanco.  Fight me.

Look I'm a chipotle white knight, but their queso is melted cheese-wiz 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Ordered taco bell mid podcast last night. Zero regrets. My go to is #7 (quesadilla with crunchy taco) plus a quesorito and nacho fries and then the shitter for about 30 solid, well actually liquid, minutes. 

FIFY 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Shoney's

What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None. 

Also, Taco Bell is fucking terrible and I'll not back off that statement.

My wife loves Chipotle, but it's pretty bland food imo. Like Subway, every combination of ingredients tastes exactly the same. If you like that taste, you like Chipotle. 

Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Damn, really? I ate too many of those in high school - it was the big after-surf move at the Pacifica Taco Bell.

taco5.0.0.jpg

I guess any remotely recent one I've eaten has been the inferior chalupa supreme.

Depending on what time you go there, it's either all families or stoners.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Zaxbys is great, their chicken strips with zaxs sauce is great and they make a decent bones less wing. 

Dude, prepare to have your mind blown, but a boneless wing is the exact same fucking thing as a chicken strip.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None. 
Also, Taco Bell is fucking terrible and I'll not back off that statement.
My wife loves Chipotle, but it's pretty bland food imo. Like Subway, every combination of ingredients tastes exactly the same. If you like that taste, you like Chipotle. 
Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 
Sirloin Stockade on North Lamar used to be where we had team dinners before our football games. Used to get the chicken fried steak with the salad and puke the lettuce up coming out of half time. I can't tell you how many times that became a regular thing. I kinda miss that I can't gorge and give two fucks like I remember of our team dinners at the Cow.
  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 

This is quite the ill-informed take. Subway is garbage, but not for either of the reasons you list.

1. Their bread doesn't qualify for the bread tax break because it has too much added sugar (we'll get to that below). It still has half the sugar that McDonald's hamburger bun has. 

2. The tuna fish lawsuit is hilariously frivolous. C'mon man. Citing a publicity stunt lawsuit with no merits?

They entered the market as a "healthy" alternative to fast food burgers, but really just have very cheap processed deli meats loaded with fat and sodium, high sugar breads, and fatty/sugary dressings. On top of all that, the cheap lunchmeats and cheap veggies are pretty bland. The bread is usually fresh and tastes delicious (due to all the sugar probably).

The availability of salads/veggies makes it at least possible to get something healthy-ish to eat there. If you're not going to at least try to eat healthy at Subway, then why bother eat there at all? But if you are trying to eat healthy you're better off finding a local salad or sandwich joint with better quality, healthier choices, and tastier ingredients.

Chipotle's food is way higher quality than Subway, and tastes way better too. Could it be better flavored/more authentic ? Sure. But it's fast food marketed to the masses. No need to stray too far into the exotic spices. Yeah, they completely fucked up the food safety at multiple stores, but hopefully they learned their lesson (hah, yeah right).  I still eat Blue Bell, and their A/C leaked listeria directly into the giant cauldrons of Homemade Vanilla, in front of all the corporate food inspectors. It wasn't just forcing Rosa to come in while she's sick, so she could sneeze her norovirus into the cliantro-lime rice.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I always enjoy it when someone runs down Taco Bell. Challenge them on it even a bit and then they either readily admit that they secretly also crave it sometimes, or that their mother never let them eat anything but broccoli and salad as a child. 

I don't enjoy their new menu. So many things that I used to order are not available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Ordered taco bell mid podcast last night. Zero regrets. My go to is #7 (quesadilla with crunchy taco) plus a quesorito and nacho fries

Calm down Geoff. :)

20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Freebirds is a billion times better based on queso alone

Fax, but regardless of the queso debate

20 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm not going to an American burrito joint for the queso. Freebirds has more options, Chipotle tastes better 

Do you even dip your burrito in queso bro?

19 hours ago, Scholz said:

I dissent.  The last 2 times I got queso from Freebirds it had approximately 2 lbs of salt/oz.  It was inedible.  Meanwhile Chipotle has that delicious queso blanco.  Fight me.

Scholz, proud sponsor of Chipotle! Next you'll tell us how great the cauliflower rice is :)

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Dude, prepare to have your mind blown, but a boneless wing is the exact same fucking thing as a chicken strip.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

1. Their bread doesn't qualify for the bread tax break because it has too much added sugar (we'll get to that below). It still has half the sugar that McDonald's hamburger bun has. 

This is whataboutism. That their bread has enough sugar in it to deem it legally cake in Ireland stands on it's own. If you would like to posit that McDonalds burger buns are also cake, I would agree.

 

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

2. The tuna fish lawsuit is hilariously frivolous. C'mon man. Citing a publicity stunt lawsuit with no merits?

That lawsuit is funny to me. Is it frivolous? Maybe, but we have no idea. I'm no lab tech, and those that are can correct me, but I don't believe you can send something to a food lab with the instructions to "find out what this is". It's a process of exclusion. Either way, it fit my argument so I used it. Due process and all that. 

The point with these, something you say later on, is for a "healthy alternative" to fast food to be subject to litigation regarding whether or not what they serve is actually food are their most egregious examples of consumer manipulation. It is not the only example, and I agree with the rest of what you said. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

How much did chipotle pay you for this post? I had their queso once and that was more than enough for me. Tastes like the bottom of the crockpot after its been sitting out for 7-8 hours, I never knew queso could be crunchy until I ate chipotle queso

depending on when you had it it was shitty then they re-did it.

had it on menu as a "limited time item" and got shit all over for it

then brought it back a while later with the current version thats absolutely ok

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you even dip your burrito in queso bro?

Sounds like @ztejas has a friend at the husky gentlemen's table. Now you guys can talk about the t-shirts that chafe the least when you wear them in the pool.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hornlover said:

This is quite the ill-informed take. Subway is garbage, but not for either of the reasons you list.

1. Their bread doesn't qualify for the bread tax break because it has too much added sugar (we'll get to that below). It still has half the sugar that McDonald's hamburger bun has. 

2. The tuna fish lawsuit is hilariously frivolous. C'mon man. Citing a publicity stunt lawsuit with no merits?

They entered the market as a "healthy" alternative to fast food burgers, but really just have very cheap processed deli meats loaded with fat and sodium, high sugar breads, and fatty/sugary dressings. On top of all that, the cheap lunchmeats and cheap veggies are pretty bland. The bread is usually fresh and tastes delicious (due to all the sugar probably).

The availability of salads/veggies makes it at least possible to get something healthy-ish to eat there. If you're not going to at least try to eat healthy at Subway, then why bother eat there at all? But if you are trying to eat healthy you're better off finding a local salad or sandwich joint with better quality, healthier choices, and tastier ingredients.

Chipotle's food is way higher quality than Subway, and tastes way better too. Could it be better flavored/more authentic ? Sure. But it's fast food marketed to the masses. No need to stray too far into the exotic spices. Yeah, they completely fucked up the food safety at multiple stores, but hopefully they learned their lesson (hah, yeah right).  I still eat Blue Bell, and their A/C leaked listeria directly into the giant cauldrons of Homemade Vanilla, in front of all the corporate food inspectors. It wasn't just forcing Rosa to come in while she's sick, so she could sneeze her norovirus into the cliantro-lime rice.

I think chipotle's problem isn't their food handling, it's their trying to get their vegetables/spinach from small organic/non-gmo farmers which are more likely to not irradiate their produce properly or at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None.  

What did Bonanza ever do to you to ignore them so blatantly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sounds like @ztejas has a friend at the husky gentlemen's table. Now you guys can talk about the t-shirts that chafe the least when you wear them in the pool.

Cut it out. They have a glandular problem

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What is now a La Tapatia on 183 used to be a Shoney's and 6th grade Ricky GOT DOWN there. The funny thing about the Shoney's/Golden Corral/Sirloin Stockade's of the world is when they're gone, no one misses them. Nostalgia? Maybe. Real sadness? None. 

Also, Taco Bell is fucking terrible and I'll not back off that statement.

My wife loves Chipotle, but it's pretty bland food imo. Like Subway, every combination of ingredients tastes exactly the same. If you like that taste, you like Chipotle. 

Subway is the worst offender on the list. It has been determined in Ireland that their bread is in fact not bread. In California there's a CA lawsuit alleging their tuna is actually not tuna and is yet unidentifiable by a food lab. So, like, I get improper food handling, but creating things for consumption that maybe shouldn't be consumed feels like an automatic bottom tier ranking. 

Rankings of those places, all of which my dad called “The Feedbag” except for Golden Corral which was “The Happy Camper.”

1. Bonanza

2. Sirloin Stockade

3. Shoney’s

.........

96. Golden Corral 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Kevin Ryan: Some site news on a Friday morning

Quote

We at 247Sports are very excited to announce that our Texas crew - Chip Brown, Taylor Estes, Nick Harris, Jeff Howe and Mike Roach - will be together on our network for the foreseeable future. The sight has been on an absolutely incredible run since the end of 2020, and we plan to continue to carry that momentum through 2021 and beyond. Several of them heard from other outlets over the last few months, but I am happy to say the team remains intact and they are ready to continue providing you with all the news/scoop/insight/features they can in the Texas market.

- Nick Harris was a part-timer for us in the past, but I'd like to congratulate Nick on earning a promotion and landing a full-time position with us. He will help Mike with football recruiting coverage and will continue to be the lead on basketball recruiting.

- Mike has signed a multi-year agreement and will still focus primarily on recruiting, but he will also help out with some team coverage as well. His contacts and relationships have been incredibly valuable. Don't worry - he'll still be at high school games every Friday night.

- Taylor and Jeff have also signed multi-year agreements to stay with 247Sports/ViacomCBS, and we are thrilled to have them. They will continue to provide outstanding team coverage, offer their insights and communicate with you on the board on a regular basis. Jeff is a well-respected veteran in the market and his voice is one that resonates with Longhorns fans. Taylor is a very dedicated team player who serves as the point guard for the team. She directs the traffic and makes sure we are all running the same play.

- Chip is already locked up for some time, but rest assured we have every intention of extending his deal long before his current expiration date. The things he brings to the site like the Morning Brew, The Insider and other content are valued by us and I hope they are valued by you as well. In addition, we are in the process of searching for a part-time contributor(s) to enhance our coverage during the upcoming football season.

Please join me in congratulating the team on jobs well done, and I hope you are all as excited about the future growth of the site as we are at 247Sports.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Kevin Ryan: Some site news on a Friday morning

 

Shocked Jeff Howe signed an extension. I thought for sure Burton would poach him for inside texas

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We at 247Sports are very excited to announce that our Texas crew - Chip Brown, Taylor Estes, Nick Harris, Jeff Howe and Mike Roach - will be together on our network for the foreseeable future. The sight has been on an absolutely incredible run since the end of 2020, and we plan to continue to carry that momentum through 2021 and beyond. Several of them heard from other outlets over the last few months, but I am happy to say the team remains intact and they are ready to continue providing you with all the news/scoop/insight/features they can in the Texas market.

ugh

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shocked Jeff Howe signed an extension. I thought for sure Burton would poach him for inside texas

Burton likes him but he would have been an odd fit at IT.. he just isn't snarky enough

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shocked Jeff Howe signed an extension. I thought for sure Burton would poach him for inside texas

I'm not sure what Howe brings that isn't already covered by other staff members at IT, and I assume he's moderately expensive for whatever that field pays. Additionally, mroe employees means less profit to share. 

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Burton likes him but he would have been an odd fit at IT.. he just isn't snarky enough

I doubt this factors into burton's thinking. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
I went glamping this summer as part of a 3 week road trip. Glamped at the gates of Zion National Park with my wife and 4 little ones. It was terrific, but yeah, no one should be confusing that with camping. It was basically like staying in a cabin. Would recommend though.
Glamping is about all I'll consider these days...and no it's not due to old fartiness, I got all the bugs and no ac/heat camping out of my system years ago. There is no shame in sleeping cool when it's hot or warm when it's cold..and having a real throne to pontificate upon.
Link to post
Share on other sites

A gem of an update from Bobby Burton.

Spoiler

Recruiting in the pandemic is, like everything else in the pandemic, completely off-schedule.

While Texas and many other schools across the country have started scheduling official visits for June, the NCAA has still not lifted the dead period. Schools are scheduling the visits in anticipation of the dead period being lifted.

The Horns have done the right thing and prepare the program in case the period is lifted. But there is no guarantee it will be.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...