Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Tbf SMU is a much better school than it was in the 80s. It is plenty easy to flunk out of Cox or drop below a 3.0. You don't just show up and get As and Bs. 

From the people I know who went to Stanford, Harvard, and Yale type schools, they told me getting in is the hard part.  Once you're in, you will graduate.  Now granted, the people who are smart enough and hard working enough to get in those schools on merit, are typically going to graduate anywhere pretty easily.  But you will pass if you show up.

I did not go to one of those schools.  I did go to UT Law, while not elite it is pretty damn good and reasonably difficult to get in.  No one failed out there.  I had a friend who freaked out on a three question essay test 1L year.  She partially completed question one and did not attempt the other two.  She got a D+.

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

UT has always offered full rides to women who have never rowed. I remember want ads being placed the very first year of the team, and I saw a sign on the West Mall in June of 2017 offering the same thing. Women’s rowing offers more scholarships than any sport other than football. It’s a Title IX scam. 

I dated a girl in college who "walked on" to the girl's rowing team, and got a full ride for two years (I think, maybe it was only one year), before she quit.

Why is that a scam?

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

She partially completed question one and did not attempt the other two.  She got a D+.

I only had one prof at SMU that wouldn't give Fs. Also the worst professor I ever had. Unfortunately it was a class I needed to graduate, so I just kind of slept-walked through and got one of my worst grades from my time there. 

Generally if a 65 average was too much to maintain, you were getting flunked.

For almost every finance class, unless you were in the top 25% of the class weighted average wise, you weren't getting an A. 

Every kid with a 3.7, 3.8+ out of Cox that I knew worked their ass off to get there. 

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I dated a girl in college who "walked on" to the girl's rowing team, and got a full ride for two years (I think, maybe it was only one year), before she quit.

Why is that a scam?

Because it's just like a "make work" job to inflate legacy and/or "diversity" numbers in order to fulfill quotas.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Buddy of mine's daughter (who is now a freshman at UT ironically) was a year behind Olivia Jade at Marymount HS (super richy all girls private school).  He says there are a number of parents there who are going to get rolled up on this one.  

This story will be gift that will keep on giving.  Nice distraction from all the other "news" (no CR)

I didn't say it was illegal, just a scam as far as the way they made up their numbers. It is a matter of opinion, IMO. I think Title IX has been abused to the detriment of mens' sports. Just like the different admission standards for athletes of any gender that allow academically unqualified high school kids into otherwise prestigious institutions of higher learning.

Binders full of parents. 

No cloak-room// Coworker mentioned this morning Georgetown Tennis coach is rolled-up. You know who likes to send their kids to Georgetown? //no cloak-room

Det. Lester Freamon:
You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the fuck it's gonna take you.

15 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Title IX is the cost of having football programs.  You have to find 85 women to give scholarships to make up for it.

I recall that when Title IX went into effect, Blinn JC had to disband its men's Track & Field program to make way for a women's sports team (don't recall if it was BB or VB) because the school couldn't afford to keep the numbers balanced. A shame really, as Blinn consistently fielded championship track squads back then, mopping up the competition at the Texas Relays in their division and at most other national meets.

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Why is that a scam?

Schools have to give scholarships to female (if I'm even allowed to call them that) "athletes" who have never competed in that sport just so they can meet the equity requirement.  I'm convinced that the only reason they don't just increase the women's scholarship limits on existing sports is because it would give a huge advantage to the FBS schools over those schools without football.  All of the women's championships would be won by the FBS football schools at the expense of the FCS and non-football schools that couldn't afford the full number of scholarships.

No one can speak up without getting their heads chopped off.  Two coaches who were recruiting my son to play an equivalency sport told me to my face that they have to play all kinds of games to comply with Title IX, including giving scholarships to girls who weren't deserving.  My son's T&F teammates had a nickname for the women on scholarship who had a very low level of commitment to the sport.  They called them "The Backpackers" because when they ran in practice, they were content to stick in one group well behind the women who were busting their asses.

My daughter currently competes in a different equivalency sport, and she regularly complains about the lack of effort and commitment from some of her teammates.  She owns several individual S&C records for the team, but it's usually just half of the team putting in that level of effort.

Now, there are probably far fewer hanger-ons competing at UT (neither of my kids play/played at Texas), but the supply of dedicated female athletes simply can't meet the demand required to comply with Title IX.

Maybe there's a better word than scam, but I'll stick with that.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
I'm a smart ass

Fallout is going to be brutal.  Bob Flaxman is a well known developer in my biz who's getting reamed, and I just read this:

Hercules Capital, Inc., one of the largest venture capital companies in the country, announced Wednesday that its chairman and chief executive officer Manuel Henriquez had stepped down.

Henriquez, 55, of Atherton, California, and his wife, Elizabeth, 56, were among those charged in the case.

oh, i think this is just getting started. people are going to start singing like birdies.

And not just at Texas. Something tells me this isn’t the only “college admission advisor” or admissions facilitator offering these services. May just be the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a lot of 1%ers are going to have to eat a shit sandwich. I have no sympathy for the privileged dumbasses.

But then again, there are undoubtedly a lot of their kids who had no clue how they were accepted for admission,and actually made their grades once they matriculated. Kinda feel bad for them for their embarrassment.

Edited by Armybrat

not surprisingly, BigLaw is caught up in this.  co-chair of Willkie Farr spent $75k to get his daughter into an elite school.  you know he couldn't face his colleagues with kids at Ivy League schools if his daughter only went to some crappy directional state college.  lawyers definitely love to brag about where their kids are going to school.

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/willkie-farr-chair-caught-in-college-admissions-scandal/

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Why is that a scam?

ha! Me too. She played soccer for a private school in Ga, and blew up her knee. Then she got homesick and decided to transfer to Texas. She was a small, petite girl and was walking across campus one day and some girls came up and asked her if she wanted to coxswain their boat. She's like "I have no idea what you're talking about". They told her about the gig and finished the offer with "You can get a full scholarship!!". She did it for a year, then had to get serious about her major and quit.  

31 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, a lot of 1%ers are going to have to eat a shit sandwich. I have no sympathy for the privileged dumbasses.

But then again, there are undoubtedly a lot of their kids who had no clue how they were accepted for admission,and actually made their grades once they matriculated. Kinda feel bad for them for their embarrassment.

woody harrelson crying GIF

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The dirty secret about many of these elite colleges is that, so long as you don't choose a hard major, you will graduate with a 3.0 minimum by just showing up.  Many are almost  impossible to fail out of.

"Ivy League: Hard to get into, impossible to fail out" is what the T-shirts say.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

From the people I know who went to Stanford, Harvard, and Yale type schools, they told me getting in is the hard part.  Once you're in, you will graduate.  Now granted, the people who are smart enough and hard working enough to get in those schools on merit, are typically going to graduate anywhere pretty easily.  But you will pass if you show up.

One of my daughter's HS study buddies ended up at Stanford majoring in M.E.  Her freshman year, she complained that he kept calling her for help in his Calc 3 class because it was what she had done in Calc 2 at Mines.  

The other thing about Stanford is that you can (or used to be able to) drop a class as long as you didn't turn in the final exam.  At UT, you can drop in the final week of the semester, which is just maddening to deal with if you're a faculty member.  

I did not go to one of those schools.  I did go to UT Law, while not elite it is pretty damn good and reasonably difficult to get in.  No one failed out there.  I had a friend who freaked out on a three question essay test 1L year.  She partially completed question one and did not attempt the other two.  She got a D+.

The last semester I taught at UT, I had people dropping the class with B averages, because "I have to make an A in this class for my GPA."  

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I'm sure some had no clue, but I bet the majority did.

edit: Agree with the first sentence.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

2 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

One of the key features of the upper class back in the day is they actually BELIEVED in their role in society. They may have been ruthless and greedy, but they also gave back to society in the form of libraries, museums, and donations to causes. They felt a pride in their status and passed it along to their kids. They didn't always succeed in raising a new generation that was worth a shit, but at least they didn't just spend all their cash on indulging themselves and were smart enough to be modest and discreet.  Which is not what we have going on here.

However, alas, the adults of this generation have no such pride or discretion. They are dumb enough to go humble brag about it after mommy shelled out thousands to get you there. 

Heh...they call them "new money" for a reason.

Do you have any data for that assertion?  Anecdotally, it seems like many of the well-known billionaires have become large philanthropists, maybe with the notable exception of Bezos.  

Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Oprah, Ken Langone, John Paulson, etc.

Edited by CDAK

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The other thing about Stanford is that you can (or used to be able to) drop a class as long as you didn't turn in the final exam.  At UT, you can drop in the final week of the semester, which is just maddening to deal with if you're a faculty member. 

A buddy of mine teaches a class per semester at UT.  It's an elective, and almost always has just 8-10 kids in the class.  If enrollment isn't up to a certain level (8?) prior to the first day of class, it gets scratched and he doesn't teach that semester.

If the class makes enrollment but then magically enough a few kids drop in the first week or two, guess what?  The class still goes for the entire semester.

You might imagine that one or two kids might enroll and immediately drop each semester, and you would be right.  You'd also be right if you suspected most of them grew up in central Austin.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I got curious -- Center lives a few hundred yards away from me.  His kids should feed into Anderson HS, is that where they go?

It's a good neighborhood but nothing about their house would indicate they've been bankrolling much in excess of his UT salary (as if that means anything).

His son definitely went to Doss w/ my son.  His wife is the college counselor at St. Stephen's, so he may go there.

Edited by Rollo Tomassi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

ha! Me too. She played soccer for a private school in Ga, and blew up her knee. Then she got homesick and decided to transfer to Texas. She was a small, petite girl and was walking across campus one day and some girls came up and asked her if she wanted to coxswain their boat. She's like "I have no idea what you're talking about". They told her about the gig and finished the offer with "You can get a full scholarship!!". She did it for a year, then had to get serious about her major and quit.  

my wife's roommate did that.  soph year had girls approach her asking if she'd want to be the coxswain.  she said yes.  did it for two years.

26 minutes ago, gecko said:

Back in the day you could drop a couple weeks in but there was no ability to bail at the end....

i'm mccombs.  back in my day you could drop in the first two weeks without any record of it on your transcript.  after the first two weeks if you wanted to drop a class it'd be a Q drop and would go down on your record.  you only got so many Q drops before you were either unenrolled or something else.  but there was still a deadline as to when you could Q drop though i don't think it was anywhere close to the last week of the semester. 

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

my wife's roommate did that.  soph year had girls approach her asking if she'd want to be the coxswain.  she said yes.  did it for two years.

i'm mccombs.  back in my day you could drop in the first two weeks without any record of it on your transcript.  after the first two weeks if you wanted to drop a class it'd be a Q drop and would go down on your record.  you only got so many Q drops before you were either unenrolled or something else.  but there was still a deadline as to when you could Q drop though i don't think it was anywhere close to the last week of the semester. 

Yeah, the Q drop was the last week of class thing; I started holding extra office hours the last week of class because I had so many students needing me to sign Q drop forms.    I had one girl asking me to sign her Q drop form after she took the final.  I told her no, and that I couldn't believe that would be allowed any way.  I've taught at three other universities and never seen any thing like that.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, the Q drop was the last week of class thing; I started holding extra office hours the last week of class because I had so many students needing me to sign Q drop forms.    I had one girl asking me to sign her Q drop form after she took the final.  I told her no, and that I couldn't believe that would be allowed any way.  I've taught at three other universities and never seen any thing like that.  

i stand corrected then, i didn't remember Q drops going that far in to the semester.  that is indeed nuts.  

SIAP but Frank Gallagher NOT getting arrested for fraud seems ironic to me.

My sister enrolled for summer school at Yale as a HS JR and took 2 classes and made a 3.5, then she wasn't accepted to Yale as a freshman. .  .but was accepted to Dartmouth.  I always wondered if there was collusion involved.

Edited by BearSchlong

53 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Do you have any data for that assertion?  Anecdotally, it seems like many of the well-known billionaires have become large philanthropists, maybe with the notable exception of Bezos.  

Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Oprah, Ken Langone, John Paulson, etc.

Bezos is about to become the biggest philanthropist in world history when he gives half of his fortune to his ex.

i stand corrected then, i didn't remember Q drops going that far in to the semester.  that is indeed nuts.  

I think it’s different for different colleges. And it is still late, but not 2 weeks out or last week of class. 6 Q-drops max across Texas.

2018-19 years Academic Calendar:

8/29 1st Class day

9/4 4th class day. Add drops may require school’s dean

9/14 12th class day. Last possible add/drop day. No refunds.

11/1 Last day for pass/fail change or Q-drop without extenuating circumstances and dean’s approval.

12/10 Last class day.

https://www.theonion.com/report-just-go-ahead-and-tell-yourself-bribery-is-the-1833263308

Report: Just Go Ahead And Tell Yourself Bribery Is The Only Reason You Didn’t Get Into Columbia

‘Whatever Makes You Feel Better’

tdwbylghu6jz80fwvrvk.jpg

YOUR LITTLE HEAD—Confirming that oh, sure, probably no one gets into the prestigious university without their wealthy parents pulling some strings, a report released Wednesday in the wake of a major college admissions scandal stated that if it makes you feel better, you can believe bribery is the only reason you didn’t get into Columbia. “Okay, buddy—just go ahead and tell yourself an admissions officer was holding two applications in his hands, yours and one from a person whose mom or dad handed him a big sack of cash,” read the report, going on to add that a large-scale bribery scandal was a far more likely explanation for your rejection from a highly selective Ivy League school than the fact that you partied more than you studied in high school and got middling scores on the SAT. “Uh-huh, even though you had no extracurriculars and a 3.2 GPA, you were probably only turned down because your parents weren’t rich CEOs or celebrities willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to help you cheat on a standardized test or falsify an application. Just hold on to that for the rest of your life, champ.” The report concluded with a recommendation that you should go ahead and buy yourself a Columbia sweatshirt, because any day now they are likely to see the error of their ways and offer you an honorary degree.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Lori Loughlin surrendered to federal authorities this morning, so you can start fapping to your lesbian prison fantasies.

Oh that horse is aaaaaaaalready out the barn.....  insert prison warden and his special trustee instead of lesbian fantasy...